Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-30-2020, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I'll be genuinely curious as to why you didn't do your homework prior to buying any gun...as has been posted, go to any search engine and type in "KelTec shotgun problems". Then read.
That's what I did (well, not exactly, but I did search KelTec KSG review), and only found two problems as I mentioned above, which I thought I could live with.

Ultimately there's no way to know everything and I can always just get something else, so it's not the end of the world for me.
Old 07-30-2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
Op, once you have that first lesson let me know and I'd be happy to loan you a double and shoot a round with you at coyote.
Thanks for the offer!
First lesson is tomorrow, I'm super excited
Old 07-30-2020, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragos View Post
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful answers.

One obvious thing from this thread is that any single shotgun would be a compromise that I don't want to make. Another thing that I wasn't prepared for is availability - noone has anything, noone wants to backorder anything (or maybe I haven't searched far enough) - so some options in this thread are just not possible at the moment.

I ended up getting a KelTec KSG (that's what they had and I paid a bit over MSRP) - I was comfortable with the two issues it seems to have (short stroke + shell killing your wrist when ejecting) - in theory - I'll see in practice shortly when I go to the range. It seems to fit me well and feels very usable for home defense. I know it's a bad idea to buy a gun before you try it, but worst case I'll just sell it if I change my mind after 100 rounds. Pictures in 10 days when I pick it up.

For hunting, which I intend to do much more often hopefully than HD :-), I ended up setting some lessons at the range as per the advice above - I'll make a decision after.

For storage, I ended up ordering a Barska AX12760 - but I wasn't prepared for the price.

All in all, HD gun, extras (new sights, vgrip, etc), safe, lesson, ammo, range time is eating all my budget, which means delaying getting a second, hunting shotgun, but I'm fine with that - hunting season doesn't start for a couple months or so anyway.

Did I screw up ?
Nah, you didn’t screw up. I’ve personally never tried a gun before buying. I usually read a bunch of reviews though to let me know what I’m getting beforehand. The way I see it, is that if something is that awesome then I need to learn to use it not the other way around.

Also, once you have your first shotgun you’ll know what you like so you’ll be able to heft one in the future to figure out if it will work.

Think of this one as a trial
Old 07-30-2020, 8:07 PM
Calguns Addict

KSG is what it is but it will serve you just fine.
Personally best bang for the buck for a hunting shotgun is the Remington V3 when toy are ready to get one they are easily under 1k
Old 07-30-2020, 10:10 PM

I don't think anyone mentioned this but they have low recoil rounds. Now I have NO experience with them & I did read where they don't cycle right in some shotguns. So it'd be great if someone commented on this cuz I've been meaning to ask for my own reasons... And there's nothing wrong with a Kel-Tec. I know someone who had one & had no problems. And don't trip on the 'had' the reason he sold it wasn't for reliability reasons... And with what's going on now it's more a case of what you can get rather then what you want... Enjoy! Bill
Old 07-30-2020, 10:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragos View Post
That's what I did (well, not exactly, but I did search KelTec KSG review), and only found two problems as I mentioned above, which I thought I could live with.

Ultimately there's no way to know everything and I can always just get something else, so it's not the end of the world for me.
Correct...it just wouldn't be my choice.

Tactical is like boobs...you can sell anything with it....arf

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 07-31-2020, 10:26 AM

The Kel -Tec KSG is a kind of a Specialized Tactical Shotgun. It would be fine for HD after you learned how to run it, and use it to full advantage.

It is in no way a sporting shotgun.

And Like I said in Post #30 the Mossberg Combo would be a good place for anyone in your stated circumstances to start with.

Glad to see you are getting some training as the most important part of the whole discipline is learning how to use the tools.

Just remember that if you decide to pursue this Hobby you will want different guns for different purposes. The Mossberg is a good choice to start because it allows you to do several things in an acceptable manner. However is is not going to be the hot tip for Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays. You can use it for those things once you learn how to run it, and you can also get to work in a Hyundai, but a Ferrari is nicer and faster. You wouldn't really want a Ferrari to learn how to drive. Kind of a waste if you run into the back of your neighbors pickup truck by mistake with the instructor in the other seat..

Good Luck, and looking forward to hearing your report on your shooting lesson.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 07-31-2020 at 10:30 AM..
Old 07-31-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Good Luck, and looking forward to hearing your report on your shooting lesson.
Just got back from the range. I learned a lot:
- I severely overestimated the recoil. I shot 4 boxes of 12 gauge, 2 3/4, 1170 velocity with no problems, it felt very light and manageable, I could do this all day. Super happy I didn't go with a 20 gauge for HD. Will definitely get 12 gauge for hunting.
- I was able to hit about 80% of the clays, so at least I'm not hopeless thus I have reason to continue pursuing this hobby.
- I shot a rental Berreta O/U which felt awesome - tight and easy to control, but - I do feel I need a slightly longer barrel gun for my size (I'm 6'7")
- The cost is starting to add up; I can definitely not afford going to the range every day, but will aim to get some practice once a week.
- Edit: forgot to add - I started thinking that I can get away with a shotgun, now after hearing advice, reading more, seeing more shotguns and firing them, it seems I need at least three - one for HD, one for clay, one for ducks /sigh

Last edited by ddragos; 08-02-2020 at 7:22 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Old 07-31-2020, 12:14 PM

Glad you had a good time! Hunting rounds will have more recoil, but target stuff is definitely not bad. Home defense type ammo is mostly on the lowerish end of the recoil spectrum, because you don't need crazy velocities or 3" loads.
Old 07-31-2020, 1:02 PM

What's the difference between shotguns and pistol

Sent from my TECNO B1f using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 3:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by norieljustin6 View Post
What's the difference between shotguns and pistol
In on 1...

I'd probably start with a little google on "shotgun" and "pistol". Post back if you do not understand, and welcome to Calguns.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
In on 1...

They were obviously Democrat Protesters on the way to a riot..

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com
Old 08-01-2020, 10:34 AM

I have been through this years ago. My first was an old 1980 Rem 870 12 gauge.
It will do it all but not the best.
If I had to grab just one shotgun it would be my Benelli M2 Field 21 inch barrel.
It can do it all.
But I have a dedicated old Remington 870 20 gauge for home defense.
(Only buy old Remingtons not new.)

My take is buy an old pump for home. Practice and Pattern it and leave it alone.
The Magpul SGA stocks are great for all the family to fit.
And a new Italian “system” for everything else.
The Italian guns have adjustable stocks, come with chokes usually and are very durable.
Beretta gas gun like A300 is great.
Benelli M2 less cleaning but kicks much harder!
Old 08-01-2020, 10:47 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
I have been through this years ago. My first was an old 1980 Rem 870 12 gauge.
It will do it all but not the best.
If I had to grab just one shotgun it would be my Benelli M2 Field 21 inch barrel.
It can do it all.
But I have a dedicated old Remington 870 20 gauge for home defense.
(Only buy old Remingtons not new.)

My take is buy an old pump for home. Practice and Pattern it and leave it alone.
The Magpul SGA stocks are great for all the family to fit.
And a new Italian “system” for everything else.
The Italian guns have adjustable stocks, come with chokes usually and are very durable.
Beretta gas gun like A300 is great.
Benelli M2 less cleaning but kicks much harder!
I'm in the same place...Ithaca 37's, High Standard pump, older ex-police 870's, and a Stevens SXS stashed near the front door.

Heaven goes by favor.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
Too late, got a Kel Tec KSG. Will practice - got a tactical training class next week, aiming to practice at least once a week.