Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 04-30-2013, 8:12 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Money is no object to these people its not their money anyways.
Old 04-30-2013, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
The cost analysis of this is our only hope with respect to getting any help from Appropriations. Anyone have a thumbnail as to what this turd will cost?
doesnt matter, its all monopoly money anyway
Old 05-08-2013, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn True View Post
The cost analysis of this is our only hope with respect to getting any help from Appropriations. Anyone have a thumbnail as to what this turd will cost?
Appropriations will look at the cost of implementation and enforcement against the fees that will be collected when whatever percentage of Californians who currently own them register. And now they can raid the DROS fund to bolster it, too.
Old 05-08-2013, 2:38 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...=201320140SB47

Committee Action Date: 05/06/13
Committee Motion: Placed on Appropriations Suspense file.

As noted in other threads, Appropriations puts a lot of bills on the suspense file until the Budget bill(s) go through.

There is no current analysis of the fiscal effects of the bill from the Department of Finance.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-08-2013, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoPlinker View Post
I don't mean to be rude, but this seems like some thing we should keep on the down low, wouldn't want to help the out with the bill.

Is this really a secret? The politicians try to ignore the Heller decision, that doesn't mean they didn't read it. Their argument already is that the ar15 is a "dangerous and unusual" weapon. That's the only leg they have to stand on. And hopefully someone kicks that leg out from underneath them.
Old 05-14-2013, 3:12 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Cracks me up that the "barrel shroud" is another evil feature. Still.

Also cracks me up that the registration fee for RAWs would go to... the DROS fund. I mean, they might as well give it to the APPS fund directly now.
Old 05-25-2013, 8:52 PM

so SB47 has passed?
Old 05-25-2013, 9:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkrypt3d View Post
so SB47 has passed?
I don't belive so
Old 05-25-2013, 9:12 PM

Last 5 History Actions
Date Action
05/24/13 Read second time and amended. Ordered to third reading.
05/23/13 From committee: Do pass as amended. (Ayes 5. Noes 2.) (May 23).
05/17/13 Set for hearing May 23.
05/06/13 Placed on APPR. suspense file.
04/26/13 Set for hearing May 6.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...avClient.xhtml

My question is how is this enforceable? I know this is a limited discussion thread but I'm assuming that this would be one of those "you have a 10+ mag while committing such & such crime"...... as it seems nearly impossible to track the guns themselves let alone the mags that are floating around with them...... anyways sorry if this should be posted somewhere else. thx
Old 05-25-2013, 9:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Looks like they are adjusting this one so Brown can sign it and then they'll kill or veto 374. Then Brown can say he "helped" us and also protected the children.
Old 05-26-2013, 4:00 AM
Banned

It's looking like everyone should start bending flats, buying trunions and stripped lowers.
Old 05-26-2013, 9:57 AM

^most of us already have been doing that!

throw us into the briar patch!! this is a defacto gun BAN....always angers me when ignorant gun control supporters say **** like "we only want background checks, no one is gonna ban your guns"...

UHH YEA RIGHT! i tell them about the dozens of bills cali is proposing and then they shut the hell up.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Passed Senate now on to assembly?
Old 06-04-2013, 1:06 PM
Veteran Member

If this ****stick gets his bill passed, we'll never hear the end of him. I know he terms out shortly, but we all know he won't leave politics. Especially if he gets this passed.
Old 06-17-2013, 3:51 PM

did this pass?

Last edited by Motomadman; 06-17-2013 at 4:07 PM..
Old 06-17-2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomadman View Post
did this pass?
You can keep track of the status of all the bills in this thread.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=776966

Or here's the SB47 specific bill status on Leginfo:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/fa...a5702825527ba9
Old 06-17-2013, 4:07 PM

This hasn't passed yet and I'm hoping it stays that way.
Old 06-30-2013, 9:28 AM

So if Brown doesn't veto this bill does anyone know what the requirements are to register an assault weapon? I bought a few stripped lowers with the intent on registering them, I'm just curious if I need to put a trigger and a evil feature on it before I can register it or if I can just register the stripped lower.
Old 06-30-2013, 9:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantedamean View Post
So if Brown doesn't veto this bill does anyone know what the requirements are to register an assault weapon? I bought a few stripped lowers with the intent on registering them, I'm just curious if I need to put a trigger and a evil feature on it before I can register it or if I can just register the stripped lower.
Why the hell would you choose to register them?
My life may not be worth the mere firearms, but should it ever really come down to it, my life is worth the freedom. The only reason you and I have the freedom we have is because someone else put their life on the line, knowing that it's not just about the guns.
Quote:
No one is free until everyone is free. If you champion your own rights, but won't stand up for the rights of others, you're no better than those who wish to take our rights away.
"No one will be spared." - Claus von Stauffenberg
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
unknown at this time. unless such a proposal becomes law and any supporting regulations written, we don't know how any hypothetical registration will occur.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findout View Post
because if you don't register them, you would probably never be able to use them, and would leave yourself open to felony charges should your possession of an AW be discovered.

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
because if you don't register them, you would probably never be able to use them, and would leave yourself open to felony charges should your possession of an AW be discovered.
I'd submit that given the number of unregistered "assault" weapons in the 2001 registration, and the relatively insignificant number of felony charges related to those guns, the odds of being popped for an unregistered weapon are extremely low.

Not recommending registration or no registration, just an observation.

-hanko

Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran
Old 06-30-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Ok, so I was thinking 80% when I read that, but I guess a "stripped lower" may be different and already DROS'd? Either way, I stand by my question.
My life may not be worth the mere firearms, but should it ever really come down to it, my life is worth the freedom. The only reason you and I have the freedom we have is because someone else put their life on the line, knowing that it's not just about the guns.
Quote:
No one is free until everyone is free. If you champion your own rights, but won't stand up for the rights of others, you're no better than those who wish to take our rights away.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Calguns Addict

A firearm I can't regularly take to the range and practice with is of no use.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisfong View Post
A firearm I can't regularly take to the range and practice with is of no use.
That's exactly what the government wants you to think.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

No, the government is taking advantage of the fact that it is true.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Old 06-30-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -hanko View Post
I'd submit that given the number of unregistered "assault" weapons in the 2001 registration, and the relatively insignificant number of felony charges related to those guns, the odds of being popped for an unregistered weapon are extremely low.

Not recommending registration or no registration, just an observation.

-hanko
and how many of those URAWs never see the light of day since the owners are not willing to take them out to a range and use them because they are illegal? That old Colt AR15 has been in the back of the closet for close to 25-years now. "I'm not going to register since they'll just confiscate it". Well, they haven't yet in 25-years, and you've just left a potential felony sit in the closet for all that time.

And yes, the odds are extremely low, but aren't zero. Bwiese has passed on info that many/most URAW arrests come from LE contact that brought the LEO to the house for for non-firearms-related issues.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
and how many of those URAWs never see the light of day since the owners are not willing to take them out to a range and use them because they are illegal? That old Colt AR15 has been in the back of the closet for close to 25-years now. "I'm not going to register since they'll just confiscate it". Well, they haven't yet in 25-years, and you've just left a potential felony sit in the closet for all that time.

And yes, the odds are extremely low, but aren't zero. Bwiese has passed on info that many/most URAW arrests come from LE contact that brought the LEO to the house for for non-firearms-related issues.
I don't think anybody would argue that there's no risk to it, or that anybody do anything without understanding the risks. That said, there are those who believe that a firearm is not useless just because you can't take it to the range every weekend.

Also, it should be said that anybody with an unregistered assault weapon would be quite foolish to leave it somewhere so obvious as a closet or other unsecured location in their home.

Again, I'm not suggesting that everybody should fill their homes with "illegal" weapons. I'm saying that blind obedience to the Man is exactly what the Man wants, and as long as the Man gets that, we'll continue to go downhill.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2013, 10:31 AM

Why register? You literally will be keeping a pending felony in your closet or in your safe... You can't take it anywhere or do anything with it.. I mean hey if you want to stuff a bunch of ebrs inside a PVC pipe and bury it with some desiccant for a rainy day by all means... But really it would be alot better just to register... Besides that opens up a whole new can of worms anyways...
Old 06-30-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I never understood this line of thinking in California when you buy a rifle, for the most part, you fill out DROS paperwork and go through a background check. There is already a record of you buying the rifle, so your not losing anything by registering it as an assault weapon when your able to. If anything it's much better because now these dumb assault weapon laws don't apply to that gun.
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I never understood this line of thinking in California when you buy a rifle, for the most part, you fill out DROS paperwork and go through a background check. There is already a record of you buying the rifle, so your not losing anything by registering it as an assault weapon when your able to. If anything it's much better because now these dumb assault weapon laws don't apply to that gun.
Are you kidding? Of course they apply! You're not going to be able to do anything different with the rifle than you were able to before, it's just now it has to be registered. Registering as an assault weapon does NOT all the sudden allow you to do things that have already long since been banned.

Also, if you build an AR around an untraceable 80%, the DOJ will have no record of you having the firearm. As for the DROS paper trail, that's a hard trail to follow, especially since DROS paperwork doesn't involve serial numbers for rifles(yet). Sure, the DOJ knows that you purchased "a rifle" on whatever date, but what did you purchase? It could have been a Mosin Nagant that I have since sold C&R to someone else. Prove it.
Quote:
Old 06-30-2013, 12:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Absolutely. I see every reason to keep a firearm off the books if possible. That said, I'd still not want to have a potential felony randomly lying around my house. And if I did (hypothetically) have unregistered firearms, i'd want every shot I could at making it difficult to prosecute me. If that means having a bunch of registered AW's (or serialized lowers, built from 80% or otherwise) around as "low hanging fruit" denyability (hypothetically) as "decoys" (hypothetically), so be it.

Old 06-30-2013, 1:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Are you kidding? Of course they apply! You're not going to be able to do anything different with the rifle than you were able to before, it's just now it has to be registered. Registering as an assault weapon does NOT all the sudden allow you to do things that have already long since been banned.
A rifle with BB is NOT an assault weapon. I repeat: NOT an assault weapon.

If this rifle suddenly becomes an assault weapon, it's as "assaulty" as if it had a flash hider, pistol grip, pre-2001 standard capacity magazine *and* detachable magazine (no BB).

The only "forbidden" features that would remain are the ones that are not allowed by themselves, such as various length limitations, stock configurations, barrel types, etc.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:31 AM

what happened to this bill???

the forums have gone silent on this one and the ammo bill....

me think the sith lords are trying to push these through when we think the coast is clear
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen308 View Post
what happened to this bill???

the forums have gone silent on this one and the ammo bill....

me think the sith lords are trying to push these through when we think the coast is clear
As of today both the Senate and the assembly are on vacation. The assembly will return Aug 5th and the Senate a week later.
SB47 is in Assembly public safety and SB53 is in Assembly appropriations.

You can keep up here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=776966

Follow me on Twitter @2ACivilRights
Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 AM

this has me worried....I got this in the mail the other day from my "representative".... hopefully, it will get stopped??

----

Thank you for contacting my office in opposition to SB 47 (Yee), legislation relating to assault weapons. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

As you know, SB 47 would prohibit the use of the “bullet button” that allow easily changeable magazines on all military style weapons. It would also limit such weapons to a low capacity 10-round ammunition magazine.

This measure was approved by the full Senate and it is currently pending hearing before the Assembly Public Safety Committee. Although I am not a member of this committee, please be assured I will keep your views in mind should this measure come before me for consideration.

If I can be of any assistance in the future, please don’t hesitate to contact my district office at (562) 495-2915.

If you would like to be placed on our email list for updates on important issues, please visit my website at: www.assembly.ca.gov/lowenthal

Sincerely,

BONNIE LOWENTHAL
Assemblymember, 70th District
Old 07-23-2013, 3:56 PM

Yee is a tool. Assault weapons are already banned!! No civilian has a fully automatic rifle in their possession! I think Yee needs to be schooled on what miltary rifles are because all civilains have are semi. I wish I can stamp STUPID on his forehead.