Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-12-2018, 2:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default New bill re wild pigs in California

I just received this from Safari Club:
California Wild Pig Hunting Under Attack

Legislation introduced by Assemblyman Frank Bigelow could destroy wild pig populations. Assembly Bill 2805 (AB 2805), if enacted into law, would do the following:

The wild pig would lose its game mammal status and be reclassified as non-game, exotic or another designation that would allow them to be killed in large numbers by any means;

Wild pigs could be trapped and killed in the traps and possibly even poisoned. These methods could affect non-targeted animals as well as the pigs;
The requirements for property owners to obtain a permit to kill depredating wild pigs and to report on the number killed would be eliminated, thus doing away with any Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) oversight and recordkeeping needed for proper management of wild pig populations;
Landowners could freely kill pigs by claiming they are threatening their property. The pigs would no longer be managed under the principles of scientific wildlife management, but by politics, speculation and emotion;

Would repeal the requirement that DFW notify landowners of the option to use hunting as a means of reducing the number of wild pigs on their property; and

Wild pig tag/validation money could no longer to be used by DFW to engage in programs that benefit wild pigs, and thus hunters, but could be used instead to develop "management" that could authorize the indiscriminate killing of pigs on a large scale by property owners. Using hunting-generated fees in this manner is unethical.

SCI strongly opposes AB 2805. Please use SCI's Action Center to contact your state legislator and tell them you oppose AB 2805.

Once you have done that, go the next step and contact the bills' author, Frank Bigelow, and tell him you are opposed to this bill. Call his office at (916) 319-2005 or fax him at (916) 319-2105. You can also email him at assemblymember.bigelow@assembly.ca.gov.
This might be one where ranchers feel differently than recreational hunters.
Old 03-12-2018, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acourvil View Post
I just received this from Safari Club:
California Wild Pig Hunting Under Attack

Legislation introduced by Assemblyman Frank Bigelow could destroy wild pig populations. Assembly Bill 2805 (AB 2805), if enacted into law, would do the following:

The wild pig would lose its game mammal status and be reclassified as non-game, exotic or another designation that would allow them to be killed in large numbers by any means;

Wild pigs could be trapped and killed in the traps and possibly even poisoned. These methods could affect non-targeted animals as well as the pigs;
The requirements for property owners to obtain a permit to kill depredating wild pigs and to report on the number killed would be eliminated, thus doing away with any Department of Fish and Wildlife (DFW) oversight and recordkeeping needed for proper management of wild pig populations;
Landowners could freely kill pigs by claiming they are threatening their property. The pigs would no longer be managed under the principles of scientific wildlife management, but by politics, speculation and emotion;

Would repeal the requirement that DFW notify landowners of the option to use hunting as a means of reducing the number of wild pigs on their property; and

Wild pig tag/validation money could no longer to be used by DFW to engage in programs that benefit wild pigs, and thus hunters, but could be used instead to develop "management" that could authorize the indiscriminate killing of pigs on a large scale by property owners. Using hunting-generated fees in this manner is unethical.

SCI strongly opposes AB 2805. Please use SCI's Action Center to contact your state legislator and tell them you oppose AB 2805.

Once you have done that, go the next step and contact the bills' author, Frank Bigelow, and tell him you are opposed to this bill. Call his office at (916) 319-2005 or fax him at (916) 319-2105. You can also email him at assemblymember.bigelow@assembly.ca.gov.
This might be one where ranchers feel differently than recreational hunters.
I see nothing wrong with this bill. Those that donít want the invasive species can take action and those that do want them for sport, can manage them. The way it was.
Old 03-12-2018, 2:27 PM
I need a LIFE!!

so they can poison in the condor range.... but with scientific proof lead bullets dont harm, condors, they can ban lead ammo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g_a7dQXilCo
ďScience is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.Ē
ó Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 03-12-2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I see nothing wrong with this bill. Those that donít want the invasive species can take action and those that do want them for sport, can manage them. The way it was.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Pigs used to be taken without a Tag. This Tag BS is nonsense. Pigs are an invasive species just as Collard doves are and recently, DFW finally released regulations for City / Barnyard / whatever Pigeons can be taken whenever. Should be the same for feral Pigs. NO Tag, no limits.

Let's try that for a while and see where that gets us.
Old 03-12-2018, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Lets see if im getting this right
Kill off the pig so the mt lions can concentrate on deer better.
Yep sounds like ca to me face palm
Old 03-12-2018, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

It won't happen. DFG makes money on pig tags. They won't give an inch on being our overlords.
Old 03-12-2018, 3:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Do you really think that having wild pigs is good for the deer population??
Old 03-12-2018, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sounds like what Texas does already. Not sure however what impact that could have across the other game animals.
Old 03-12-2018, 3:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhandmike View Post
It won't happen. DFG makes money on pig tags. They won't give an inch on being our overlords.
Agreed
Old 03-12-2018, 3:15 PM
Veteran Member

I agree the pig tag is bull****, but most of the hogs are on private land. The best hunting for hogs that is. A2
Old 03-12-2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
The pigs are non-native. I'm not saying there aren't examples, but I don't know of any introductions of non-native animals to an environment that was an overall benefit to the pre-existing balance between the wildlife there. That being the case, whatever benefit someone might extract from having wild pigs around is likely negated by the damage they do to crops and the danger the present if encountered.

And lions are typically only a problem because they have no natural fear of humans. If they hunt more deer down it may mean fewer tags are issued, but that's likely a negligible impact unless the lion population gets far out of control. There are already a high population of lions anyways, DFG should deregulate pigs and start issuing tags on lions for population control.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
I see nothing wrong with this bill. Those that don’t want the invasive species can take action and those that do want them for sport, can manage them. The way it was.
Omg hell just froze over did I actually just agree with taper? I think I'm going to be sick
Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReluctantCraftstronaut View Post
The pigs are non-native. I'm not saying there aren't examples, but I don't know of any introductions of non-native animals to an environment that was an overall benefit to the pre-existing balance between the wildlife there. That being the case, whatever benefit someone might extract from having wild pigs around is likely negated by the damage they do to crops and the danger the present if encountered.

And lions are typically only a problem because they have no natural fear of humans. If they hunt more deer down it may mean fewer tags are issued, but that's likely a negligible impact unless the lion population gets far out of control. There are already a high population of lions anyways, DFG should deregulate pigs and start issuing tags on lions for population control.
honey bees?
Old 03-13-2018, 1:30 AM
Veteran Member

So, the way it used to be??? Face it, there is no "management" of pigs. They breed like crazy and eat themselves out of an area before moving on.
Old 03-13-2018, 1:44 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I don't agree with the poison part. Who is to know what other animal or human will kill and eat the animal before it dies. No tags, no limit, no reporting sounds good to me.
Old 03-13-2018, 2:00 AM
Calguns Addict

So California is finally going to treat wild pigs like they should have been treating wild.pigs all along. Good.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ĎI canít wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!í

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Old 03-13-2018, 6:36 AM
CGSSA Associate

This has been up before.....hope it passes this time
Old 03-13-2018, 6:56 AM
Calguns Addict

They are invasive. There should be no limits in the first place.

My cattle-rancher cousin ignores the law when it comes to pigs anyway.....they root up his pasture land. I would bet that 90% of ranchers and farmers do the same.

There is no point in protecting an invasive species that hurts the environment AND hurts the economy, all for the sake of a few hunting guides who cater to white collar hunters.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 8:04 AM
Veteran Member

So how is it going in Texas? No limits; no tags; multiple killings using helicopters, poison (not sure if they use that)........but they are still over run by pigs. I agree with Taper. Plus most of the pigs are on private property so those properties will become pig sanctuaries, thus more pigs for hunters.
Old 03-13-2018, 8:09 AM

they should deregulate a few other invasive species too, like striper. We all know they won't
Old 03-13-2018, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
honey bees?
I know nothing of actual facts on this, but that does seem very logical. I still stand that pigs don't fit into the category though.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:00 AM

Ca will not allow poison. I do not see Ca willing to get rid of all the money that is made off the pig hunters. I hope they do get rid of the limits and tag B.S.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:01 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Elk View Post
So how is it going in Texas? No limits; no tags; multiple killings using helicopters, poison (not sure if they use that)........but they are still over run by pigs. I agree with Taper. Plus most of the pigs are on private property so those properties will become pig sanctuaries, thus more pigs for hunters.
I doubt it. I offered to kill pigs on private property in San Diego.county, and the landowners refused to allow it, but then followed it up with "but the state needs to do something because they destroy my crops". Most of those people are beyond stupid. The reason pigs are everywhere isn't because hunters won't buy a $14 tag, it's because nobody allows the people most capable of controlling them to do it.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 03-13-2018, 9:18 AM

If any CA land owners have an issue with pigs I’ll come and hunt them for free.

Doubt this this will pass. CA doesn’t have a pig issue like other states. Pigs are a valuable commodity for ranchers. They charge 800 bucks per pig.
Old 03-13-2018, 9:33 AM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the usual quandary. Like the pigs in Orwells 1984 4 legs good 2 legs better. While we wrangle the pigs win.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-13-2018, 9:50 AM

Can't you buy as many pig tags as you want already?

I don't get what this bill is actually going to do...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2018, 9:51 AM

The pigs aren't gonna move off of private property if this passes...not having to buy a pig tag would be nice.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:46 PM

im all for deregulating hog hunting. no illegal method of take, hunt em 24 hours a day, etc etc. poisoning i dont agree with as it isnt hog specific and can pass on thru the food chain. they need to go one step farher and allow the selling of wild hogs for meat also like in texas and other states.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Great no more pig tags. Name a state that allows sale of wild game not farm raised.
Old 03-13-2018, 1:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Great no more pig tags. Name a state that allows sale of wild game not farm raised.
Feral pigs aren't wild game.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 03-13-2018, 1:18 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

From what I've read and been told the $ raised from pig tags doesn't go back into any management or otherwise benefit for pigs so why should we continue to pay tag fees that go up?

woohoo! Now I can go unlimited on my late night hunts in San Benito county!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-13-2018, 1:48 PM

After looking up and reading the bill is this also attempting to reduce the cost of a lifetime license? Pig tags to $15 pig validation. I'm not really seeing many problems with this.
Old 03-13-2018, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
From what I've read and been told the $ raised from pig tags doesn't go back into any management or otherwise benefit for pigs so why should we continue to pay tag fees that go up?

woohoo! Now I can go unlimited on my late night hunts in San Benito county!
No more getting up early for the morning hunt. Just sit by the fire in camp. and wait until you see them in the moonlight. Put down your beer, shoot and repeat.
Old 03-13-2018, 3:10 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

^^^I'm bringing (2) 30 packs of coors light. Besides I've proven that I can't wake up on time anyways so why bother getting up early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 03-13-2018, 3:13 PM

Cool! Does this mean we can cull pigs from helicopters just like in Texas?
Old 03-13-2018, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomBytes View Post
Cool! Does this mean we can cull pigs from helicopters just like in Texas?
It's totally fine as long you're using suppressed full-auto with night-vision.
Old 03-13-2018, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

As long as I’ve been hunting (40+ years) Pigs were 1 per day, no tags. Tmk in ca it has never been a free for all.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-13-2018, 6:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Feral pigs aren't wild game.
Though not native they are still game.

Still canít sell meat/parts taken under a sport lic.

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-13-2018, 7:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Though not native they are still game.

Still canít sell meat/parts taken under a sport lic.
They're not deer or elk, which is the intent of the law, and Texas allows them to be sold as commercial meat. They're a destructive pest. They're termites for farm fields.

Quote:
Dude went full CNN...
Old 03-13-2018, 7:52 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
They're not deer or elk...
Nope, they're tastier.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.