Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-12-2018, 2:32 PM
Veteran Member

Question barrel length- how to measure.

ok so my search fool is not so good.

got it that must be longer than 18 inches. bolt face to end of tube.
26 total gun length, ( shortest working length in ca).

but my question is:
if the shotgun tube is really shorter than 18 inches. but has a welded muzzle device. is the fixed length of said device counted in the 18 inches? even if the id of the muzzel device is greater than the barral id?
total length would be over 18 in.

and then regs for legal muzzel devices.
no mufflers, etc. thinking something more for "evil looks".

no not looking to get around any law.
just wanting to stay in compliance with the law.

so is my line of thought correct?
barral length + welded on muzzel device = legal length +. good to go.
Old 03-13-2018, 3:35 AM

I would add a quarter inch to whatever length you have. Close bolt, put dowel rod down. Barrel, mark than measure.
Old 03-13-2018, 5:59 AM
retired Goon

Per BATFE NFA branch...

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

Per CA DOJ BOF...

Without consideration of any extensions or protrusions rearward of the closed bolt or breech-face the approved procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device.

Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the closed bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 03-13-2018, 6:41 AM
Veteran Member

A welded device on the muzzle end becomes part of the barrel.

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:52 PM

Made me think of a good one.

When my youngest Son was about 12. He came home one day from helping his grandparents clean out a shed, (not Theirs), with a Zippo lighter, a knife, and a sawed off Shotgun. Stock was shortened also to a pistol grip only. Barrel was like 12 inches. It was a proud day as a Father indeed, still brings tears to my eyes to this day..

I told him well Son that can get you 20 in Leavenworth. He did not really grasp those implications I so abruptly informed him of. It is long gone, but at time we welded a extension on the barrel to meet the 18 inch minimum requirement.

Grandparents gave it to him as they thought it was a toy. It was painted all aluminum color with a spray bomb. They were not Firearms people at all.