Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 09-21-2018, 6:45 PM
Veteran Member

Default Thinking about a Markforged 3D printer...new to 3D printing

Well I have tried getting info from other forums, but most folks on them seem to be a bit stuck up and not welcoming to a newbie.

So...I have come seeking guidance from you folks.

I am looking to add a 3D printer to my business. lookimg at the Markforged MKII.

Now here is the thing...I know exactly zero about 3D printing. And am wondering if a old dog like me can learn new tricks.

any help and input would be great.

Thanks

What do hear ???...... Nothing but the rain. Well grab your gun and bring in the cat.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 09-23-2018, 1:51 PM

I've got one. They're neat, they can be finicky at times, and they certainly have their limitations.

The hardest part of them is CAD, if you know CAD then the rest is pretty straight forward.

What kind if business are you doing? How do you intend to use it?
Old 09-27-2018, 4:19 AM
Calguns Addict

https://thepiratebay3.org/index.php?q=defcad+mega+pack
Old 09-27-2018, 6:03 AM

Depends on what you want and what you'll be using it for.

The markforge is nice, specifically with the continuous carbon fiber filled nylon printing material which can be difficult on a lot of most printers. But the unit is expensive!

I have a makergear M2 (old one) and a Makergear M3-ID. The M3-ID has two extruders to print two parts at the same time or two different filaments for the same part, most dual extruders are linked and only allow you to print two material on the same part. It also has all metal hot ends which allows you to print hotter materials like PETG and Nylon. Both units have a heated glass bed so you can get ABS and some other harder material to stick.

Like Toyman said it does depend on what you want to do with it. I make production machinery for a living, it has greatly increased my capabilities and has paid for itself many many times over. I am an engineer so i do have the cad training to give me the freedom of creating my own files to print and use.

Let me know if you have any specific questions i may be able to answer
Old 09-27-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I wouldn't even waste the filament on making one of those.....
Old 09-27-2018, 11:58 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Think of 3D printing like owning a classic car. You can get one already running and just drive it, but if you really want to get the most out of it you're going to have to get your hands dirty and learn every aspect.

I've had 3D printers for a few years now. Still don't know CAD worth a crap, so I'm stuck printing models others have made. I have a Monoprice Maker Select v2, and a Prusa I3 MK2, both are fantastic machines. Thought about getting a resin printer but I don't have anywhere to set one up that can be properly ventilated and I don't fancy the idea of slowly dying from the fumes.
Old 09-28-2018, 9:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman321 View Post
I wouldn't even waste the filament on making one of those.....
A 30-round mag, the liberator pistol, or lower?
Old 10-04-2018, 11:42 PM

They all have too small a build envelope for me. I have 2 maker Z18s. They’re pretty good and dirt cheap with aftermarket filament but only run PLA which sucks for useability. The mark forged units looked cool and I got printed samples. Res was pretty good. They were just spendy and too small of an envelope.
Old 10-19-2018, 8:58 PM

i highly recomend the maker select plus from Monoprice -- they have a store here in Rancho Cucamonga. The store front is connected to the warehouse and i think they go for $250 + tax . It has a LCD screen a generous size build plate good enough for almost anyone.

They also sell replacement parts for these printers and their customer support is Amazing and will go to great lengths to fix your printer should something go wrong.

for the money it is probably best bang for your buck. Also check out the other printers they offer i know a couple months back they added a new printer to their line of 3d printers. also if you check their website they sell refurbished models. for a 30% mark down from MSRP. Great Value. I know a couple 3d printer technicians that work for the company so if u have any questions feel free to PM me.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:00 PM

I'm very proficient at CAD and use Solidworks to make my living. I have zero desire to have my own printer as the affordable ones are little more than toys. If I want something printed for myself, I'll use the services of a company like Protolabs and get a part that actually works and is strong, accurate, and won't fail in use.

One of the companies I consult for has a couple of the latest hobby machines. They get little use.

I suggest putting your money and time into a good CAD program.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-19-2018, 11:12 PM

I can't help with the printer but for software I recommend simplify3d. Its expensive but has extensive options for printing. Im using it with my Robo3D. I also use a free web site called Tinkercad. I use that site to design all the crap I make.