Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Banned

Default Long range defense, 338 or 50bmg?

The 338 is less punishment on the scope. 338 weighs less and cost less.

Which one would you guys choose?

I dont live in Ca!
Old 07-16-2017, 2:46 PM

.338. More likelihood to maintain your skills and obtain strong familiarity with your rifle, scope, and round given it is cheaper to own and purchase ammo.
Old 07-16-2017, 2:50 PM

You live in a forest, I think a 300 blackout would be best for you. Its quite and has more energy than a .556 with certain bullets.
Old 07-16-2017, 5:50 PM

Pistol for defense rifle for offense.
Old 07-17-2017, 3:02 AM
CGN Contributor

Can you hunt with 50 bmg in you state? If not, another reason to go 338 or even 300 win mag.

You also can get 338 in API.

Last edited by WarBoyNux; 07-17-2017 at 3:12 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 3:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Why not .308?

I believe .308 one of the cheaper calibers, due to competition, and prior use/surplus ammo.
(Like 9mm?)

Industry standards, and availability of ammo/components in a caliber is once reason I stick with 9mm, and .223 for everything we buy. Granted, my lady bought a .25 ACP, but she reloads her own.

Calibers that have been used, or currently used in the .mil I believe is cheaper, and easier for find ammo/components for. 9mm NATO, 7.62 NATO (7.62x51), etc.

7.62x51 surplus can still be found, and can be shot in a .308.

My lady has been toying around with a bolt-.308, and I will probably bite the bullet too!

Since you live in a free-state, you might be able to store more powder for a battle-cartridge, unlike us...

Last edited by the86d; 07-17-2017 at 3:40 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 8:13 AM

What kind of range are you talking about? 400yds is long for me and my 30-06 gets it done. Im sure 308 would too. Most to the long range shooters and hunters I know shoot 300 win mag.
Old 07-17-2017, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

If the bad guys are a mile out or more I'd call in an air strike or dial up your friendly neighborhood mortar crew.

It's the only way to be sure. Right?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-17-2017, 9:17 AM
Veteran Member

If the bad guys are a mile out or more I'd call in an air strike or dial up your friendly neighborhood mortar crew.

It's the only way to be sure. Right?
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 07-17-2017, 9:37 AM

Crew-served 50BMG.

Realistically, you aren't going to engage targets at that distance, so the better answer is "nothing".
Old 07-17-2017, 11:22 AM

I suppose the answer is "what are you defending against?"

If you want to take out an engine block at 300 yards, then 50BMG might be a good choice. If you live at the top of a mountain with 360 degree views for miles, then 50BMG might be helpful if you can tell the good guys from the bad at long distances.

If you're like 99.99% of people, my opinion is that a good bolt action .308 with hot loaded match grade ammo is going to be plenty. Easy access to ammo, easy to stay proficient with it without taking out a second mortgage on the house, and plenty effective out to distances that most of us are limited by.

That not to say I wouldn't mind having a nice Barrett M107 if I could - but it really wouldn't be for anything more than special occasions. No way I could afford sending a five dollar bill down range every time I pulled the trigger...

338 is a good in-between, but honestly, I don't see enough benefits to add another gun in that caliber class to the collection. Just too many different types of ammo to keep track of. If you've got it, you have an edge over .308 for sure. But if you don't, I'd spend the money on extra ammo for the guns I do have.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:19 PM
CGN Contributor

Why stop at the measly 50? Just go 20mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ft2j6J4NcY

20mm vs 50 bmg.

223, 338, 50, 20mm
Old 07-17-2017, 7:21 PM
Veteran Member

What will you be defending - a desert water hole, a giant cactus, an alien space ship?

In the United States a person's expertise on a subject is inversely proportional to their knowledge of the subject: The less they know about something, the more they become an expert on it.

I am being held hostage in a giant insane asylum called Earth.
Old 07-17-2017, 8:19 PM

They have different purposes so you might as well get both. Use the .50 for anti-material inside 1000 yards and keep the .338 for more accuracy at longer ranges. Obviously, the opportunity/need for your long-range defense scenario are about zero so it comes down to how much money do you care to waste and not be concerned with replacing? Sure they are great to have and shoot (I have both) but if all you are buying them for is defense readiness, your money might be better spent in other ways. JMHO
Old 07-17-2017, 11:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

WTH.
Get the biggest gun you can afford.
If you can afford the .50 BMG, the optics and enough ammo to get proficient AND defend your stronghold then go man, go!
But this isn't something you should do half fast. Do it only if it doesn't crimp on other stuff you need for your family/group to survive.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:33 AM

50 BMG FTW.
Old 07-18-2017, 3:08 AM
Calguns Addict

When you look at the price of each round of .50 BMG, you might want to reconsider, even if reloading?
Old 07-18-2017, 7:50 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
When you look at the price of each round of .50 BMG, you might want to reconsider, even if reloading?
$2.49/rd

https://www.ammograb.com/50-bmg/
https://www.outdoorlimited.com/Produ...ctCode=hm50bmg

I would take up reloading.
Old 07-18-2017, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Both are specialty calibers that have a pretty narrow use

If I was concerned about some kind of light, armored vehicle then the .50

I I was concerned about shooting someone past a mile then the .338

I think you'd be better served getting ammo and training for a .308 bolt action
Old 07-18-2017, 8:03 AM
CGN Contributor

The real question is, what is best to stop a light armored vehicle past a mile?
Old 07-18-2017, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarBoyNux View Post
The real question is, what is best to stop a light armored vehicle past a mile?
Artillery
Old 07-18-2017, 9:24 AM

My thought is you won't be engaging a mile out so it's a non issue.

My SHTF gun is the SCAR 17. It's light, it's compact, can be used short range, can be used long enough range, 308 is fairly common ammo. Not cheap but not guna be more than what you're suggesting. (I didn't buy it for SHTF, just another toy with a dual purpose)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

For engaging a mile out I'd get a drone...
Old 07-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Banned

Its funny actually. I live in a state where i can own anything i want but the pay here is so low you can hardly afford to buy it.

Once the house is finished i will have more options. I will probably go with a multi purpose rifle like a 300 win mag. Gives me elk, moose and 2 legger just in case shtf. It wont break the bank or the scope and i can afford to practice.

In the 300 win mag class is it the best choice?

What brand and make would hold good accuracy at a distance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelpark View Post
I suppose the answer is "what are you defending against?"

If you want to take out an engine block at 300 yards, then 50BMG might be a good choice. If you live at the top of a mountain with 360 degree views for miles, then 50BMG might be helpful if you can tell the good guys from the bad at long distances.

If you're like 99.99% of people, my opinion is that a good bolt action .308 with hot loaded match grade ammo is going to be plenty. Easy access to ammo, easy to stay proficient with it without taking out a second mortgage on the house, and plenty effective out to distances that most of us are limited by.

That not to say I wouldn't mind having a nice Barrett M107 if I could - but it really wouldn't be for anything more than special occasions. No way I could afford sending a five dollar bill down range every time I pulled the trigger...

338 is a good in-between, but honestly, I don't see enough benefits to add another gun in that caliber class to the collection. Just too many different types of ammo to keep track of. If you've got it, you have an edge over .308 for sure. But if you don't, I'd spend the money on extra ammo for the guns I do have.
Old 07-19-2017, 9:52 AM
Calguns Addict

My long distance engagement rifle is a 300WM, but it isn't something most people (including me) would be able to carry around. Not very far, anyway. It would have to be left at a spot and brought out when needed or bumped a short distance. It's a Remington 5R with a big heavy FFP scope.
I like the 300WM because it has big capability(1 mile) but only costs pennies more than .308 to reload.
Old 08-26-2017, 4:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
You live in a forest, I think a 300 blackout would be best for you. Its quite and has more energy than a .556 with certain bullets.
Energy?
Old 08-28-2017, 5:12 PM

I like the 6.5 creedmoor. I have a bolt and ar-10. On paper at 1000 yards with 120gr and 140gr hornady AMAX, and ELD. Price is right and reloading is easy. Anything farther than 800-1000 yards will take lots of trigger time to be proficient in my opinion which probably isn't worth much. But the 6.5 should be considered.
Old 08-28-2017, 6:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just like with fast cars....there is no replacement for displacement.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 08-28-2017, 7:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

In a zombie apocalypse world there's maybe a few unrealistic scenarios where you're camped on your roof defending against zombies a few hundred yards out. Just about any modern rifle will be capable at that distance. Choosing to prepare for that scenario is pretty ridiculous though as there are literally hundreds of other skills and resources/tools you could acquire that are far more likely to be useful in a given lifetime.

If you want to get into long distance target shooting, 7mm-08 Remington is a nice all around cartridge with excellent ballistic coefficients but really for hitting steel targets just about anything modern will suffice. Even 308 Winchester will get you out beyond 1000m easily albeit with worse terminal ballistics, but who cares - there is a 0% chance you have to defend against zombies. Don't forget about reality... it's the world you actually live in.
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 08-28-2017, 7:24 PM

Turbo might be the ticket. I might even be inclined to sling a 72gr .22 at 3000+fps. You have to look at availability vs cost. And the 6.5 is just another option. If $$ is no object then by all means go with a 50, or 338, heck get both. But for poor cheap bastards like me, I'll put a t-4 on a four banger and stick with 140s for anything out to 1000 yards. My old eyes can't see any farther than that anyways
Old 09-07-2017, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Neither.

My 30.06 (with the correct ammo) can take any game in North America. Has never failed me in 45 years. No reason to change now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uparmor View Post
The 338 is less punishment on the scope. 338 weighs less and cost less.

Which one would you guys choose?

I dont live in Ca!
Old 09-07-2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Beretta View Post
Neither.

My 30.06 (with the correct ammo) can take any game in North America. Has never failed me in 45 years. No reason to change now.
there's truth in this. I've owned a .50 BMG. I've owned a Barret .416. I own a .338LM. The 50 and 416 were a novelty for me. If I can't get it done with a .338, then all that extra firepower wasn't either. I'm even considering selling my .338 conversion kit for my Desert Tech rifle. I have a 300 Win Mag and that is a fabulous cartridge.