Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Blades, Bows and Tools
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Blades, Bows and Tools Discussion of non-firearm weapons and camping/survival tools.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:06 AM

Default Want to bow hunt... edited due to update. Got a bow

Update below:

I wanted to get into bow hunting and took some lessons on using compound bows. During one class I reinjured my shoulder. It happened after we turned up the weight of the bow to 60 pounds. When I was learning the fundamentals with the power set low I didn't have a problem.

I've had reconstructive surgery on both my shoulders. Twice on the right said including the installation of a 40mm titanium screw 23 years ago. One surgery on the left side, so a total of 3 procedures.

My shoulder hurt for close to a month after that last compound bow class. Felt like I had a slight separation in the joint while holding the bow drawn.

Somebody said I should consider a crossbow. I believe that requires something from a doctor in California to hunt. Anyone have any experience with this?

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member

Last edited by The Tiger; 08-03-2018 at 2:24 PM..
Old 07-30-2018, 10:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My neighbor has had multiple back surgeries and has some sort of permission to use a cross bow. Here is a page with some info

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/cr...in-california/
Old 07-30-2018, 10:43 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

I googled and it's the 3rd one down on this link.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Licensin...#9941259-forms
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonte35 View Post
Disagree. Been trying to teach lewdogg21 how to hunt. It's like trying to teach Steve Wonder how to see. Not sure we're ever going to get there.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Thanks

Anyone have experience with this process?

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM

Bows with 40lb and 50lb draw weights kill animals just fine, can you draw a lighter weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manofmayhem View Post
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8Mud View Post
Bows with 40lb and 50lb draw weights kill animals just fine, can you draw a lighter weight?
I think it's hard to say what my limit is. I was practicing on the first 3 lessons with the bow turned down to the minimum of 20 pounds. I didn't have a problem there. But I think the draw is only part of the problem. I think holding it is also a problem. I've had shoulder problems for 25 years and what can hurt it seems unpredictable

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 PM

A 40# recurve will do fine for deer or bear so long as your arrows are heavy (say 600+ grains) & tipped with a sharp, 2-blade cut-on-contact head. A 40# compound will zing an arrow faster still and with 70% let-off, you're only holding 12# at full draw (kiddie weight). You can always try shooting the opposite hand as well. No reason why you can't learn to use your non-dominant eye. Just some other thoughts.
Old 07-30-2018, 2:17 PM
Veteran Member

If you are truly determined to bow hunt, try a bow with dual round(ish) wheels and 75% let off. Many bows have aggressive cams that break over hard and have a very shallow valley. Those are hard to pull initially and drop hard at let off. A smooth round(ish) wheeled bow will be easier to pull and drop into the valley much easier. Along with that, the valley will be deeper and easier to hold.

Drawing a bow takes muscles not normally used much so it will take conditioning to work them up. Take your time and work up slowly. I used to draw 80lbs when younger but now I am at 60lbs due to some shoulder issues. 60 today is much faster and produces more energy than 80 30 years ago.

You can get a disabled archer permit which allows you to use a crossbow in the archery season. But that is not a bow. It simply allows you to use a different weapon due to a disability.

CVS brings up a good point about changing sides. I have heard of many shooters doing just that due to injuries.
Old 07-30-2018, 6:49 PM

I didn't think about switching sides but I image I would have the same problem. Both shoulders are messed up, I've had surgery on both sides.

Working up to it is a possibility. I'm a little nervous in spending money on a good bow only to find out later I can't handle using it.

I'm just trying to expand my options for hunting and was invited to join a friend that bow hunts. Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 07-30-2018, 7:13 PM
Banned

I bow hunted as a kid and tried to return to it a few years ago.
Having Extensive damage to my shoulder and left arm in the past I wasn’t sure how I was going to fare.
I ended up injured rather quickly in a run up to a Oregon hunt.

So I stopped shooting for a week, then dropped my bow to 40lbs and started again.
No issues, and I Took a deer with my Hoyt that year.
Now a few years have passed and I’ve slowly worked my bow up to 68lbs with no issues.

Don’t give up, don’t trust counter jockeys at the stores or your friends just tune your draw weight down and hunt with it!
Old 07-31-2018, 4:20 AM
Veteran Member

Get a 35-40# recurve or long bow and forget about holding it back on draw just draw and let fly. Instinct shooting works well.
Old 07-31-2018, 4:47 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't hunt, but I do shoot a 45# recurve from time to time.

I had to switch to left-handed shooting as my right shoulder is screwed up. No surgeries yet, but it will pop itself out of joint with a bit of pressure. Very painful.

Switching sides with archery was actually pretty easy. Easier than trying to shoot a gun left handed.

I would go with a lighter compound if you are going to hunt.....recurve range is pretty short. You would have to ambush a deer at close range to even have a shot.

I would bet a 45# compound would get about triple the distance that my recurve gets. Plus as others have mentioned, you'll get about a 12# letoff meaning you can hold it back for days.

I have been looking for a decent compound for myself for some time, hard to find a shop that stocks for lefties.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 4:50 AM

A compound with 40-50 lbs peak weight will have a hold weight of 10 lbs or less.
A mild single-cam will be easier to draw over the peak.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2018, 4:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Might want to find a good shoulder orthopedist and make sure your shoulder can handle the strain before you do anything. I'm just now back to a #45 pull after a year of having very extensive shoulder reconstruction, and I pulled #70 before, so I'm halfway there, but not injuring it again is way more important than pulling a bow. Too many things involve my shoulder that arent hunting to ruin it for one deer.

BTW, I'm currently recovering from thumb joint replacement and waiting on feedback about crossbow hunting this year, so I understand.

When did I go from being a "citizen" to a "taxpayer"?

Jon Lovitz: ‘I can’t wait to go to a hospital run by the DMV!’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
Dude went full CNN...
Peace, love, and heavy weapons. Sometimes you have to be insistent." - David Lee Roth
Old 08-03-2018, 2:22 PM

Update:

So after talking to a few archers I know and doing more research I'm getting a bow. I got some good advice on bows that might be shoulder friendly. It's getting set up now.

I went with an Elite Impulse 31. It's a 60 pound bow but its turned down to 50 pounds. I'm a little nervous but maybe with practice and some work at home with a stretch band I will be good to go.

I got a pretty good deal on a last year model. And it's getting set up by people I know and trust to do it right.

NRA Benefactor
CRPA Life Member
GOA Member
Old 08-03-2018, 7:23 PM
CGSSA Associate

Elite bows are very forgiving and not a big drop off which is all good for your shoulder.

Good choice and go slow 45# bows have killed lots of game.
Old 08-23-2018, 7:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry for your injury, especially if interested in archery. I've been in the archery game for 40+ years and 2 years ago had an accident that really messed up my left wrist, plate and screws on inner cup, destroyed tendon and ligament, there went my bow hunting career ! With guidance from my doctor I started "training" with a rubber band style exercise deal that I could hook on my foot and build up strength again. My left arm is my rigid arm and had a tendency to fail at the wrist with pressure. After gaining some strength I began searching for a new bow with a more even draw, as was mentioned here the cams can make a big difference, it came down to the Mathews No Cam and an Elite, I went with the Mathews only because of the nearest dealer / tech, the Elites were awesome, good choice. By the way last I heard Ted Nugent was shooting 48lbs and he has no problem with kills, a friend of mine's girl friend killed her first bull elk at 35 yards with 40lbs ! Shoot as often as you can but don't over exert each session. Mark