Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 02-11-2019, 9:52 PM

Default Can anyone recommend a cold weather / snow survival school?

Me and my family would like to take a snow cold weather survival course. After snowmobiling this weekend we all started talking and I have to say I'd be clueless surviveing extreme cold weather. Tracking game and survival in the woods in nonextreme situations I feel fairly confident. When out playing this last weekend we noticed how disorienting the snow can be. We also noticed how physically demanding treading through it can be. Can anyone recommend a course here in Norcal?
Old 02-12-2019, 5:02 AM
Veteran Member

MWTC Bridgeport,CA but you gotta go to San Diego first.
Old 02-12-2019, 5:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
Lol at jarhead, my first thought was the USMC? Army?
Old 02-12-2019, 6:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
First thing I thought of as well, great Jarhead minds think alike. The other option is East Coast assignment then Norway��. I did Mountain Warfare school in Bridgeport in Spring and it was still miserable, that cold river crossing sucked, couldn’t even breathe it just took the air out of your lungs.

My Google fu popped up this School a few times, no personal experience though, out of SoCal . Maybe read up some of the US military or other manuals too, Good luck

https://www.californiasurvivaltraining.com/our-courses/

https://www.primalsurvivor.net/best-...l-schools-usa/
Old 02-12-2019, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Handheld GPS for starters.

See if you can take the Alaskan state trooper survival course.

Chat with the guys who hunt in that area.
Old 02-14-2019, 9:02 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have an inReach Explorer, cheap plan is $16/mo and you can upgrade/downgrade every 30 days to fit your travel plans. Many places I go have no cell service. The Iridium System upgrade is now complete, and should be better than ever. Cheap Insurance.

QUOTE=cactus;22656038]Me and my family would like to take a snow cold weather survival course. After snowmobiling this weekend we all started talking and I have to say I'd be clueless surviveing extreme cold weather. Tracking game and survival in the woods in nonextreme situations I feel fairly confident. When out playing this last weekend we noticed how disorienting the snow can be. We also noticed how physically demanding treading through it can be. Can anyone recommend a course here in Norcal?[/QUOTE]
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 02-14-2019, 9:17 AM

To start here is a great book for learning skills

https://www.amazon.com/Mountaineerin.../dp/1594851387

I would recommend starting in the Sierra's with overnights increasing to longer backpacks to get the idea. You have much heavier packs and more specialized gear. I love heavy snow backpacking, it ensures you are the only one there

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 02-18-2019, 4:17 PM

I've been to the Arctic twice and spent a lot of time at the Aleutian Islands for work. All I can say is a dry suit will keep you warm. Driving 40+ knots on a small boat exposed to the elements was not bad at all.

I did the Zion Narrows hike last December in a dry suit. It was snowing and we were comfortable walking in up to waist high water for hours.

They might not be the most comfortable but if I was lost in the snow and cold, I would want to be in a dry suit
Old 02-18-2019, 7:16 PM

10th mountain division, 4 year class. Includes scenic trip to Afghanistan where you meet new and interesting friends and kill them.

Must like green clothing and people shooting back at you.

Last edited by KevinB; 02-18-2019 at 7:25 PM..
Old 02-19-2019, 11:28 AM

I did a dive trip to the Antartica Peninsula last February, after each dive we took the Zodiacs to the beach, added a little air to the drysuit and was very comfortable standing motionless around the penguins, with just a small part of my face exposed, but the hood was 11mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3gunner View Post
I've been to the Arctic twice and spent a lot of time at the Aleutian Islands for work. All I can say is a dry suit will keep you warm. Driving 40+ knots on a small boat exposed to the elements was not bad at all.

I did the Zion Narrows hike last December in a dry suit. It was snowing and we were comfortable walking in up to waist high water for hours.

They might not be the most comfortable but if I was lost in the snow and cold, I would want to be in a dry suit
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez
Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I did a dive trip to the Antartica Peninsula last February, after each dive we took the Zodiacs to the beach, added a little air to the drysuit and was very comfortable standing motionless around the penguins, with just a small part of my face exposed, but the hood was 11mm.
That's awesome. I've been looking at going to Antarctica. Any recommendations?
Old 02-19-2019, 12:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Build a fire and stay put.

We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Old 02-19-2019, 2:48 PM

Faith at DUI put the trip together on the Ortelius. It was basic and no frills, Diving out of Mil Spec Zodiacs, they take 100 persons and we had about 25 drivers. Divers controlled the boat and the tourists got seconds. Tanks were 95 cuf with DIN H valves, people that used DIN adapters had problems, I have been running straight DIN for years and no problems. Nothing like drinking Bourbon with a piece of million year-old chunk of ice in it.

https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/ou...ntent=Ortelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal3gunner View Post
That's awesome. I've been looking at going to Antarctica. Any recommendations?
Old 02-19-2019, 3:29 PM
Veteran Member

Don't know any school but just dealing with 24" snow over three days remings me how important physical fitness is in these situations. If one plans on veing in extreme situations one must insist that all parties be in excellent physical condition. The weakest ones risk dragging the others down. When things go sideways they get ugly very quickly.