Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-11-2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
The 80 yard gong is MUCH bigger than 2" in diameter. Even 2'.
Here's a video where they retire their original gong so you get an idea. Not sure of the exact dimensions.
https://youtu.be/HTmGprjq2i4?t=267
I certainly made a mistake when I used ď (inches) instead of Ď (feet). From the video, the gong seems to be 30Ē or so.

I think thatís impressive shooting for a sub-compact weapon intended/designed mostLy for SD.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 02-11-2019, 8:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGunner View Post
I certainly made a mistake when I used ď (inches) instead of Ď (feet). From the video, the gong seems to be 30Ē or so.

I think thatís impressive shooting for a sub-compact weapon intended/designed mostLy for SD.

Thatís what I was thinking afterwards too.

Yes, very impressive that he can hit that gong!!! He does some fantastic stuff at 230 yards too IIRC. And with iron sights!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 02-11-2019, 9:51 AM

So i can tell my wife " i think this one will fit your hand size " ... "oh i was was wrong guess we will have to try another one .
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Subcompact guns are only good for ccw. Even people with very small hands would shoot a full size or mid size gun with more proficiency.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teflondog View Post
Subcompact guns are only good for ccw. Even people with very small hands would shoot a full size or mid size gun with more proficiency.
I generally agree with this, except where one is working to ensure proficiency with a wide range of calibers and weapon sizes just in case one is in a situation where they need to use such a weapon.

I have a Sig P238, do not have my CCW, but bought it to help make sure I could shoot basically anything with reasonable accuracy. The biggest I have now are a 357mag and 10mm, but i have shot much larger and will buy a S&W460 or 500 soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZirconJohn View Post
NOPE !!! Sub compacts are just NOT accurate at 100 yards
Calm down Harry Callahan

Old 02-11-2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
Does anyone really need a sub-compact gun?

If I will never conceal carry, is there a reason to purchase a sub-compact gun like a Glock 43, Sig P365, Shield etc?
You asked two different questions. The first question seems like you are just trolling and the second looked like a more personal question that you need to ask of yourself.

So to answer your first question Yes, people do need to have sub-compact guns.

And to your second question No, there is no reason for you to purchase a sub-compact gun because you let other peoples opinions dictate what you do in life. You do not need it and should save your money for video games.
Old 02-11-2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Does anyone really need a sub-compact gun?
For over 150 years gun manufacturers have been making a whole lot of them and they sell. So, a whole lot of folks believe that those guns have a role in their lives. So, as much as folks need anything they need them.

Quote:
If I will never conceal carry, is there a reason to purchase a sub-compact gun like a Glock 43, Sig P365, Shield etc?
Only you can answer that.

tipoc
Old 02-11-2019, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Red face

I think I've heard THIS song before...

Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

I donít discriminate. I love all firearms. Nobody tells me what I need. Buy what you want, enjoy what you own. I do carry, so subcompacts are a bingo for me as i never have a reason to be without a firearm. Carry in your home if you donít have a ccw. At the very least youíll always have your HD gun ON you when youíre not asleep, and itíll be some practice for when you come visit us in free America so you wonít be finger F-ing your gun and holster every 5 minutes.

I do shoot the subs regularly, and practice mag changes with neo mag pocket carried spare mag, but the majority of my shooting is with duty sized guns in an owb holster and owb mag pouches. More fun for shoot and move practice on steel and ipsc targets. I am slower with my subcompacts, and my mag swaps are definitely slower too. If i had to CCW a full size gun though, i probably wouldnít always be carrying. Just being honest. Big guns are a major pia to ccw for me. Glock 42 and 43 are my go to subcompacts currently. Seecamp is my absolute minimalist carry gun in a back pocket wallet holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2019, 12:14 AM

You might not be able to CCW where you live right now, but maybe sometime in the future you'll move or take a trip somewhere that it would be nice to have a sub compact and know how to use it properly, you never know.

Personally, I agree with others I enjoy the challenge of sub-compacts. Match grade full size tack drivers are fun for showing off at the range, but being decently accurate with a subcompact with a sloppy trigger is rewarding on a more personal level.
Old 02-12-2019, 8:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
If I will never conceal carry, is there a reason to purchase a sub-compact gun like a Glock 43, Sig P365, Shield etc? Those guns are so small that you can only grip it with 3 of your fingers. Yes there are mags that have extension but give me a good reason to own a sub-compact.

I can't see those being fun to shoot at the range either. All my guns are full size and I have 3 compacts which I don't even care to shoot. Actually one of my compacts is a PPQ M1 which I bought a Q5 Match slide for so that does get shot often but I could care less to shoot my Glock 19 or my CZ P-01.
You ask, "Does anyone really need a sub-compact gun?" and then say, "If I will never conceal carry, is there a reason..."

Yes, some people do need sub-compact guns because they will conceal carry. If you will never conceal carry than you do not need one it sounds like.

I haven't shot the Sig P365, but the Glock 43 is not bad to shoot at all. Having the short grip only becomes a problem for me when I put a fresh mag in and catch the skin of my hand. That hurts.
"The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich quick theory of life." - Theodore Roosevelt

ďActors are basically like prostitutes. You don't have to listen to their opinions to enjoy their "work". - Lex Talionis
Old 02-12-2019, 9:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title1guy View Post
There is no good reason for you to buy a subcompact.
Same argument the anti-gunners used to push through all the AR-15 regs.

"Good reason" to own one should have nothing to do with whether or not you can (or should.) Simply wanting to have one is justification enough.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:03 AM

You cannot get a CCW now, but you may in the future. Alameda may never allow it but you may find yourself living in another county at some point where you can carry but by then the rostor may have shrunk down further and all the sub's are no longer attainable.

Never say never.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Pitbull Apologist
CGN Contributor

I have one. I EDC it. My G29
Old 02-12-2019, 11:29 AM

My Aunt, long passed now, used to keep a Beretta 25acp stuffed in her bra. Along with a wad of Kleenex, her checkbook and pen, wallet, house-keys, scapula, some packets of Equal, and I don't know what else. True thing. She did that till she went to hospice.

She started doing that, with the gun that is, when she became a Real Estate agent. Carried a Colt Agent in her purse as well.

tipoc
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Need... I keep seeing this word. If I only had the handgun that I "needed", I'd have one - a subcompact (looks in full safes and shrugs).
Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM

yes for CCW