Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-23-2017, 9:07 AM

Default Dry practice today... *crazy*

Due to other obligations, except for the Prado IDPA night match about a week back, wasn't able to participate in much practical shooting matches this past three months.

So, just to occupy my time this boring Saturday morning, did some dry practice. *hope that I don't get flamed for this*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk63-A9QOh8

Cheers!!!

_
Old 12-23-2017, 9:38 AM
Calguns.net Shooting Team

Practicing breaking the 180?
Old 12-23-2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
lol
Old 12-28-2017, 1:40 PM

Maybe it was a bad angle, but that last transition series sure did look like you would have had a 180 issue. Be careful what you practice.
Old 12-29-2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM720 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair001 View Post
lol
Hahaha... Not so... Was working on wide transitions, and was wondering if what I was doing of rotating on the balls of my foot would make my movements more efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerman View Post
Maybe it was a bad angle, but that last transition series sure did look like you would have had a 180 issue. Be careful what you practice.
*nod* In the third series - the second string is downrange; I started facing off to the 180 (well, close to it).

But then, in an actual match, would they actually put a target close to the 180? As mentioned above, mine was more of practicing wide transitions, hence, I artificially placed targets that will require a 90-deg transition, etc.

_

Last edited by rodralig; 12-29-2017 at 7:17 PM..
Old 12-30-2017, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
in an actual match, would they actually put a target close to the 180?
_

Some actually do it on purpose.
Old 12-30-2017, 6:07 AM
Calguns Addict

If you’re going to set up targets in your backyard, why not incorporate some movement, variations in shooting positions, mag changes, etc.? You can create and set up a whole stage to run through.

Quote:
Was working on wide transitions, and was wondering if what I was doing of rotating on the balls of my foot would make my movements more efficient.
If that’s the case, then I would suggest wearing something other than flip flops.

Last edited by Mayor McRifle; 12-30-2017 at 6:13 AM..
Old 12-30-2017, 9:40 AM

Can I get your autograph "Mr. Wick..."? Are you hiding from gansta's? the IRS? Ex-wife?
Old 12-30-2017, 12:30 PM

Don't let your crazy neighbor see you. Peew peew on.
Old 12-31-2017, 9:19 AM

Would love to sling some good natured ribbing your way. But actually, this is a great idea. Much cheaper than the 45 lead I sent down range yesterday. You could expand this to include other stage elements and improve your IDPA scores. Happy New Year. Hope you get to shoot more in 2018.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baranski View Post
i hate it when they do this.

had a match at prado that did this with 1 target on one of the stages. the target was probably at the 175' if you are the very corner of the shooting space.

i feel like this kind of target setup is dangerous and just plain stupid. to place them so that shooters have a high change of breaking the 180 rule
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 01-05-2018, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Yes there are 180 traps
Old 01-07-2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor McRifle View Post
If you’re going to set up targets in your backyard, why not incorporate some movement, variations in shooting positions, mag changes, etc.? You can create and set up a whole stage to run through.

If that’s the case, then I would suggest wearing something other than flip flops.
Yes, that is the general idea! I'm just getting started when I ordered these "dry fire"-use target stands.

I started competing in local matches only in late May of last year. For 2018 - would definitely incorporate movements to help in my development. Along with those inspired from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kOI88zEE8c

PS: Of course, the flip flops are going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Can I get your autograph "Mr. Wick..."? Are you hiding from gansta's? the IRS? Ex-wife?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman77 View Post
Don't let your crazy neighbor see you. Peew peew on.
So far so good... The fences are quite high that I don't get noticed... And my dry fire pistols fake barrels and "incapacitated" magazines (with orange basepads).

Cheers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueceMcGurk View Post
Would love to sling some good natured ribbing your way. But actually, this is a great idea. Much cheaper than the 45 lead I sent down range yesterday. You could expand this to include other stage elements and improve your IDPA scores. Happy New Year. Hope you get to shoot more in 2018.
Happy New Year to you!!! And thank you for the comment... (yeah, considering Komiefornia's Ammo Ban - until I get into reloading, dry fire is definitely the way to go)

Yes, 2017 is year #1 for me. Am looking to try out this book in 2018:

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Shoo...dp/1481874713/

and see where it leads me to...

_

Last edited by rodralig; 01-07-2018 at 8:50 PM..
Old 01-08-2018, 6:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
But then, in an actual match, would they actually put a target close to the 180?...
I see 180 traps in matches all the time, one as recent as yesterday.
Old 01-09-2018, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Close to the 180 is fine. A good stage designer will setup the stage so you can't accidentally shoot a target past the 180. Go to an RO class and see what Troy McMannis has to say on this topic and you will quickly learn that he would throw out a stage that made it easy for a shooter to engage a target past the 180. We aren't supposed to be trying to "trick" a shooter into a DQ. The stages should be challenging, but safe.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:59 AM

I don't see the problem with an occasional target or two being set where it would be possible to engage them past the 180. Shooters pushing the limit may have to realize they have to be a little more deliberate with a couple of targets. There shouldn't be lots of targets set this way but I don't see the big deal about having a couple of them.
Old 01-10-2018, 8:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
I don't see the problem with an occasional target or two being set where it would be possible to engage them past the 180. Shooters pushing the limit may have to realize they have to be a little more deliberate with a couple of targets. There shouldn't be lots of targets set this way but I don't see the big deal about having a couple of them.
You are setting up an unsafe course of fire. The 180 rule exists for a reason. It is there for the safety of everyone involved in the sport. If you set targets where shooters can engage them beyond the 180 eventually someone will engage them beyond the safe point and you have then put the folks at risk standing behind the shooter. The 180 rule should only be violated due to shooter neglect, not poor stage design. Making them available beyond the 180 is not a challenge; it is a flaw in the stage design and should result in the stage getting tossed out if discovered after the match started.

Seriously, send an email to dnroi@uspsa.org and ask Troy McMannis what he thinks about this. He will state exactly what I have stated here.
Old 01-10-2018, 8:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointerman View Post
You are setting up an unsafe course of fire. The 180 rule exists for a reason. It is there for the safety of everyone involved in the sport. If you set targets where shooters can engage them beyond the 180 eventually someone will engage them beyond the safe point and you have then put the folks at risk standing behind the shooter. The 180 rule should only be violated due to shooter neglect, not poor stage design. Making them available beyond the 180 is not a challenge; it is a flaw in the stage design and should result in the stage getting tossed out if discovered after the match started.

Seriously, send an email to dnroi@uspsa.org and ask Troy McMannis what he thinks about this. He will state exactly what I have stated here.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, I see targets set up where one can break the 180 very easily in local matches shooting at a target if the shooter overshoots his spot by a step or two or even setting up the targets so that the target is visible from another port array if one goes right to left instead of left to right from the start position. I am a lefty that goes right to left when given a choice and I see those situations. I have to be deliberate in my stage plan not to take those targets as I see them as I'd break the 180.

Last edited by tanks; 01-19-2018 at 12:14 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Tanks,
I am a lefty as well. I shoot at a pretty well run club most of the time and the club President walks every stage after they are setup looking for 180 issues and things that will get the clubs equipment shot up. Usually a small tweak here and there solves things that the designer didn't see.
Old 01-18-2018, 7:29 AM

Not to resurrect this thread, but in case someone comes back and reads this I want to make the issue clear regarding setting up targets that can be engaged beyond the 180. Please read the rule book with a focus on section 2. 2.1.4 states "Targets must be arranged so that shooting at them on an “as and when visible” basis will not cause competitors to breach safe angles of fire. 2.1.2 states Courses of fire must always be constructed to ensure safe angles of fire. 2.1.1 states Course design should prevent inadvertent unsafe actions wherever possible.

The bulk of this section of the rule book is dedicated to getting people to design safe stages. Setting up a stage with targets available beyond the 180 is not safe and is a violation of the USPSA rule book. Just because the club you shoot at has either lazy or uneducated course designers doesn't make it right. We should work to enhance awareness in this area or your club may be the next one to have someone shot at it and close down for good.