Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:16 AM
ToTheToaster ToTheToaster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 206
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default Pistol Training - Bay Area

Does anyone recommend/first hand experience in any good training classes in the bay area? Been shooting for fun the last 2 years but really want to develop more skills and consistent groupings (maybe even get into competitions in the future). Any info helps!

Would ideally like private/semi-private for reasonable prices. Shooting my own 9mm so won't need any rentals.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 AM
joelogic's Avatar
joelogic joelogic is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,541
iTrader: 211 / 100%
Default

The Bay Area is a big place. How far do you want to drive?

Plus it would be best to chose your training goals up front. Do you want to learn from a USPSA Grand Master? Do you want to learn from a HSLD Operator? NRA certified instructor?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2017, 10:56 AM
Daze Daze is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 465
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default Nielsen Training

I have taken a couple, these are my favorites :

Nielsen Training in San Jose:

Todd is an excellent instructor with lots of hands on experience as a prior LEO.

http://nielsentraining.com/pistol-courses/

I have taken rifle and pistol classes and both were excellent.

OpSpec Training ( folks from GrayGuns.)

They only come to town once or twice a year but I had an opportunity to take their Practical Fundamentals 2 days class and it was also excellent. Of particular value to me since I run a DA/SA pistol, although there were plenty of striker fire pistols in the class as well.

https://opspectraining.com/product/p...ichmond-calif/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2017, 11:58 AM
ToTheToaster ToTheToaster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 206
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
The Bay Area is a big place. How far do you want to drive?

Plus it would be best to chose your training goals up front. Do you want to learn from a USPSA Grand Master? Do you want to learn from a HSLD Operator? NRA certified instructor?
I would say on the SF side of the bay anything from SF to Milpitas; then looping to other side of the bay from Fremont to San Leandro.

To be honest, needed to look up some of those terms. I'm so new to the idea that I'm not even sure how to chose my training goals. Would just like some more consistency in my shot groups on paper between 10-25 yards.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2017, 11:59 AM
ToTheToaster ToTheToaster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 206
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daze View Post
I have taken a couple, these are my favorites :

Nielsen Training in San Jose:

Todd is an excellent instructor with lots of hands on experience as a prior LEO.

http://nielsentraining.com/pistol-courses/

I have taken rifle and pistol classes and both were excellent.

OpSpec Training ( folks from GrayGuns.)

They only come to town once or twice a year but I had an opportunity to take their Practical Fundamentals 2 days class and it was also excellent. Of particular value to me since I run a DA/SA pistol, although there were plenty of striker fire pistols in the class as well.

https://opspectraining.com/product/p...ichmond-calif/
Thanks! I'll take a look at Nielsen.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-28-2017, 1:17 PM
joelogic's Avatar
joelogic joelogic is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,541
iTrader: 211 / 100%
Default

If you are having slow fire grouping issues then some type of indoor range beginner class would probably suit you best. Someone that can teach grip, recoil management, sight alignment, trigger press. Basically the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Whenever class you settle on, call and ask questions first. Training is expensive and necessary so no need to waste money learning to shoot from under a car if you are still working on shooting 4" groups at 15yds.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-28-2017, 2:53 PM
ToTheToaster ToTheToaster is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 206
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
If you are having slow fire grouping issues then some type of indoor range beginner class would probably suit you best. Someone that can teach grip, recoil management, sight alignment, trigger press. Basically the fundamentals of marksmanship.

Whenever class you settle on, call and ask questions first. Training is expensive and necessary so no need to waste money learning to shoot from under a car if you are still working on shooting 4" groups at 15yds.
That is some great advice. I know that training is necessary and that's why I'm actively seeking it. Trying my best to be a responsible owner.

Are all indoor ranges created equal or is there one where you feel the instructors there are top notch? I'm not afraid to admit that a more novice class is for me, I can punch paper on target slowly but want to increase my consistency, definitely not looking for anything tactical.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-28-2017, 2:54 PM
smokeyfs's Avatar
smokeyfs smokeyfs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In the swamp behind the Bayshore Mall
Posts: 964
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

FieldCraft Survival all the way
__________________
Yes my hat is made of tin foil
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-28-2017, 3:01 PM
XDJYo XDJYo is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NorCal-East Bay
Posts: 3,457
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Check Yelp for the mobile marksman. 1 on 1 training. Havenít taken any classes from him, but reviews seem positive and my be what youíre looking for.
__________________
Les Baer 1911: Premier II w/1.5" Guarantee, Blued, No FCS, Combat Rear, F/O Front, Checkered MSH & LBC Double Diamond Grips
Springfield Armory 4.5" XD-m 45 ACP
Springfield Armory XD-45 4" Service Model
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-30-2017, 6:40 AM
acegunnr's Avatar
acegunnr acegunnr is offline
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Coast
Posts: 2,093
iTrader: 181 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheToaster View Post
Does anyone recommend/first hand experience in any good training classes in the bay area? Been shooting for fun the last 2 years but really want to develop more skills and consistent groupings (maybe even get into competitions in the future). Any info helps!

Would ideally like private/semi-private for reasonable prices. Shooting my own 9mm so won't need any rentals.
bayprofs.org

Actionpistolclub.com



Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited by acegunnr; 11-30-2017 at 4:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-30-2017, 2:13 PM
OCEquestrian's Avatar
OCEquestrian OCEquestrian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,748
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Direct Action Group runs classes out near Sacramento....Tactical Pistol I&II in mid February if you can wait that long...

http://dag-usa.com/
__________________
NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-30-2017, 4:13 PM
Thoughts Thoughts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 229
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've taken classes with Gray Ops and LMS Defense. Both are great, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2018, 8:21 PM
ThreatScenarios's Avatar
ThreatScenarios ThreatScenarios is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Posts: 109
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughts View Post
I've taken classes with Gray Ops and LMS Defense. Both are great, in my opinion.
We have also heard good things about Gray Ops and LMS. Also look into Alpha Dog Tactical.

Disclaimer: We have no financial ties or partnerships whatsoever to the above. We just think a lifestyle of training is healthy , so really you should go to all of them.

Best of luck and happy hunting.
__________________
SF Bay Area | Civilian and LEO Instruction | Live-Fire and Force-on-Force Training
Live-Fire, Performance Handgun:https://threatscenarios.com/classes/...ehandgun-sep8/[$125]
Live-Fire, 2day Defensive HG II (CCW Permit):https://threatscenarios.com/classes/...ndgunii-sep29/[$295]
Testimonials: https://threatscenarios.com/testimonials/
FB: https://www.facebook.com/ThreatScenarios
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-03-2018, 1:12 PM
tanks's Avatar
tanks tanks is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 2,709
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

At Richmond, Ron Avery and Tactical Performance Center crew will be coming to teach in May for their 3 day Handgun Mastery course. One of the premier instruction places.

Details here:

https://www.tacticalperformancecente...stery-richmond
__________________
For Sale - Reloading Supplies Powder and Xtreme bullets, For Trade Federal Primers
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1191755
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2018, 4:54 PM
kombidude's Avatar
kombidude kombidude is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: El Darado County
Posts: 203
iTrader: 35 / 100%
Default

X2 for Grey opps. I'm always strengthen my weaknesses with them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
__________________
Liberalism is a mental disease that's killing America!

Originally Posted by Custom ii View Post
As a CCW holder, I don't need a gun. I have never needed a gun and I hope to never need a gun. And in all likelihood, the odds are I will never need a gun. That being said, should I ever need a gun, I had better have a gun and that's why I carry a gun and train as often as I can.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-27-2018, 6:48 PM
c1steve c1steve is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 57
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I would highly recommend the Practical Fundamentals class from Operation Specific Training.

https://opspectraining.com/practical-fundamentals/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-29-2018, 7:58 PM
TS-DAG's Avatar
TS-DAG TS-DAG is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: NorCal
Posts: 9
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
Direct Action Group runs classes out near Sacramento....Tactical Pistol I&II in mid February if you can wait that long...

http://dag-usa.com/
Thanks for the mention here on Calguns!

We've got a great 2018 lineup at the Sac Valley Shooting Center - and a ton of news & things going on to bring value to our clients.

The pistol courses for Feb 17 & 18 are going to be outstanding and we'd love to see you on the range!

www.dag-usa.com
__________________
DAG Operations NorCal - www.dag-usa.com
Founder, ICG - www.imperatorconsultinggroup.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:22 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2018, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
Calguns.net and The Calguns Foundation have no affiliation and are in no way related to each other.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.