Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-31-2017, 8:35 AM
Default Looking for Pistol/Rifle Training near San Fernando Valley

I'm going to be getting a new Beretta PX4 Storm 9 mm in full size in the next week or so and I thought getting some professional training might be beneficial. A little background:

I would consider myself a bit more than a beginner to firearms since I've actually owned pistols and rifles for more than 10 years but I've never really had that many maybe half a dozen over the course of these 10 years. I'm almost more of a casual collector.

My total range time is rather limited as well perhaps as little as 1-2 times a year and I've never received any formal instruction from anyone. Literally I begged my mother when I was a teen to go to the range 15 years ago, she took me for the first time and the only instruction I got was 2 minutes from the RO. I've tried to watch some videos online but a lot of people have different advice/techniques so consistency is hard to find and without actually seeing if I do things right it's hard to check.

As a consequence I'm actually not a very good shot. I would like to improve since I'm beginning to see good shooting as a practical skill I can train like any other. For instance I also just found out that I'm cross eye dominant and this entire time I've been shooting with my "weak" eye.

I live in the SFV and there are a few shooting course options as the local indoor ranges in the valley but I'm concerned about the quality of the instruction and the limited environment of the range. I imagine something at an outdoor range with some movement would be more beneficial for potential practical situations. I was also hoping I might be able to get some rifle practice as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for such a person that isn't to far away? I recently picked up a flyer for a guy in Corona from Firearm Training Associates. They seem to have a pretty good program and they have a beginner type course for $115 but they are really far.Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 12-31-2017, 9:31 AM

Dragon, don't overlook the RO's at you local range. We have ex-Marines at our indoor range. Many actually taught in the military. Also gives you an opportunity to observe their style and find a good personality fit. Good instructor is a fast way to improve skills.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:55 PM

Phoenix tactical solutions ... manni and Shaun are incredible
Old 12-31-2017, 12:56 PM
Old 12-31-2017, 3:04 PM

+1 on Phoenix tactical. Great instructors and great prices. I've taken many classes from pistol 1 and 2 classes, shotgun classes and concealed pistol classes. They also offer rifle classes which I haven't taken. Manni and Shaun have their classes in angeles range and sometimes burro Canyon shooting range.

One of the best aspects of Phoenix tactical is that the classes are small, anywhere between 3 to 9 students and at least 2 instructors. If manni or Shaun sees that you're struggling a bit, they will spend time with you to improve your skills.
Old 01-01-2018, 9:17 PM

Max Joseph and his crew train out at Burro canyon up behind Azusa...
NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 01-18-2018, 9:37 PM

dragonfly22588 Max Joseph is a good trainer but not the place to start. He will tell you that himself. You need a basic pistol marksmanship course of instruction that most NRA instructors can provide you in about 5 hours. Some of it will be repetitive but worth your time.

Not all instructors or coaches are created equal. You don't need the best just someone that can convey the fundamentals and who can discern by your shots how to make simple adjustments to your application of the fundamentals to increase your accuracy.

Memorize the 5 primary safety rules and study the ""fundamentals of pistol marksmanship". having a little head knowledge will make good use of your time in the class you take.

My advice is don't be turned off by a little driving you may have to travel an hour or better to get training. Pick a class with small class size and low round count, no more than 300 rounds. visit a range close to your home first and see if there is a local instructor that frequents that range.

If that doesn't work google "NRA instructor list" type in your zip code and comb through the results. Or Attend a shooting match locally and ask for some recommendations.

good luck.
"The only person you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday." Unkown