Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters > 209 Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2014, 7:26 PM
Banned

Default Urgent!! Action needed to Keep Jamestown open

Some of you may know of the BLM shooting spot off of French Flat rd. in Jamestown. Some of you may even shoot there. It is to those that shoot there that I am directing this thread.

I spoke with Jeff from the BLM office today and that spot is close to getting shut down to recreational shooting. It is a mess there. The neighbors have been complaining to the BLM office for quite some time trying to get the place shut down and this condition it is in is giving them ammo to get it shut down.

He said that we need to get it cleaned up if we want to keep it open.

My friend and I are going to head there next Saturday for a clean up day but we need more help. There is a lot of trash to get out of there. If you can help and are available, please come.

More and more of our sites are getting shut down, LET'S KEEP THIS ONE OPEN
Old 02-23-2014, 6:26 PM
Banned

Didn't realize it is supposed to rain next weekend. We are re-sceduling the cleanup for the 8th of March.

Still haven't had any response. Please help out if you can. This will benefit all of us in this area.

Hate to guilt trip people but if we use this spot then it is our responsibility to help keep it up if we wanna keep it open.
Old 02-23-2014, 6:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Sorry to her that, If I was closer I'd help out, as I know how it is.

Bump :
Old 02-23-2014, 8:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano3467 View Post
Sorry to her that, If I was closer I'd help out, as I know how it is.

Bump :
I appreciate it. It does suck. We have few enough good places as it is. We need to protect the ones we`ve got.

I will be providing pizza and sodas to anyone that shows up to help. We are also planning on doing a little shooting afterwards. I know the work sucks but at least we can have a little fun after.
Old 02-25-2014, 7:12 PM

Maybe this should be moved to the Calguns Range Cleanups section?
PM sent
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it.
Frederic Bastiat
Old 02-27-2014, 1:15 AM

Id be willing to help clean up. I live in Modesto but I dont really know of any spots like this to go shoot so it would be great to help out and check out a place to shoot!
Old 02-27-2014, 8:01 AM

I'd come up and help, but I'm tied up that weekend. I am available some Saturdays and most Sundays after though if we need to maintain the area. I can go this Sunday, but it might be too muddy.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 AM

Where is this place exactly. I found the road on a map. Do u just drive to the end, towards the resevoir?
Old 02-27-2014, 12:35 PM

Yeah actual location or map link might help your plight Buddy.

FOR SALE ! STREAMLIGHT TLR-1 HP W/ REMOTE SWITCH & MAGPUL STOCK & KYDEX SIG P228 / P229 HOLSTER : CLICK HERE ! : http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...8#post18089758
Old 02-27-2014, 2:08 PM

I live in oakdale and im willing to help i just dont know exactly where that place is located
Old 02-28-2014, 11:04 AM

TJCrawler, this is good for both BLM and us, shooters. are you guys still active for this event? how about this spring or summer clean up. I live in Stockton. I can join. just give me a map link from Google Map and arrange date/time. talk to you
Old 02-28-2014, 1:59 PM

I cannot help on the weekends but I am free during the week. People should also see this as a chance to possibly pick up free brass for reloading! Next paycheck is in 2 weeks if someone PM's me the location my brothers and I will make it a point to make time for it.

We are coming out of Tracy.
Old 03-06-2014, 7:30 PM
Banned

Sorry guys, I haven't checked this thread often enough it seems. A guy from the BLM office is going to meet us there on Saturday morning at 9. He is going to bring trash bags and said we can also load up his truck. He is also going to open the gate for us so that we can get our trucks down closer to the garbage.

There are about 6 of us going so far but we can use all the help we can get, so if you can make it, please show up.

Here are the coordinates 37.974149, -120.484416

It's really easy to get to. Coming up from the valley you just take a left on Rawhide road in Jamestown and follow it down a couple of miles until you get to French Flat road. Make a left on French Flat and follow it all the way to the BLM gate. It forks once and you just stay to the right.

Hope to see you guys there.
Old 03-06-2014, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCrawler View Post
Sorry guys, I haven't checked this thread often enough it seems. A guy from the BLM office is going to meet us there on Saturday morning at 9. He is going to bring trash bags and said we can also load up his truck. He is also going to open the gate for us so that we can get our trucks down closer to the garbage.

There are about 6 of us going so far but we can use all the help we can get, so if you can make it, please show up.

Here are the coordinates 37.974149, -120.484416

It's really easy to get to. Coming up from the valley you just take a left on Rawhide road in Jamestown and follow it down a couple of miles until you get to French Flat road. Make a left on French Flat and follow it all the way to the BLM gate. It forks once and you just stay to the right.

Hope to see you guys there.

Where are you from if I may ask? Still planning on doing some shooting after the clean up?
Old 03-06-2014, 9:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidly15 View Post
Where are you from if I may ask? Still planning on doing some shooting after the clean up?
Yep, still planning on shooting after. I am from Turlock.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:01 AM

I'm thinking I'll be there.
Old 03-07-2014, 9:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I am a little hobbled at the moment but I have a truck and I'd be happy to join in this effort. I'll bring a bucket of KFC for the crew.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM

I will try to make it there guys I've never been there before and I did have honey dues to do this weekend but I might be able to swing.
And who knows it might be closer than the place I normally go.
But sad to say if it's gotten that bad sounds like there's some bad apples that go there just saying I have always cleaned up my mess and others when I go to my spot that's just use to be the American Way I guess the good ol days lol
Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member

Bit of backstory and or motivation. This is how red hills got closed, parrots ferry range, my Elizabeth, etc etc.
I don't live up there any more but if I had sat off I'd be making a 3 hour drive to help. Thank you for organizing thank you for helping!
Old 03-07-2014, 5:24 PM

Never been there before but I'm thinking I might make it out there to help and check it out.
Old 03-07-2014, 7:11 PM
Banned

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Looks like there was a scheduling conflict for the BLM guy that was supposed to meet us there to open the gate. He is not going to be able to make it.

Therefore, we are going to have to reschedule it. Hopefully we can get him to agree to meet us next weekend to get it done.

Sorry for the late notice but I just found out myself. I will keep everyone updated.

Thanks
Old 03-07-2014, 8:35 PM

Oh well but I'm still going to do some shooting still.
Old 03-07-2014, 8:45 PM

Weight, watt? TERE HANGES?!!
Old 03-08-2014, 8:03 PM

I went out there today at about 4pm. It looked like someone did some cleaning up as there were new trash bags full of garbage. Sum buddies and I shot for a couple hrs and picked up sum trash ourselves. Its good to see everyone helping out!! Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-11-2014, 9:11 AM

ShooterDK and I got out there at about 10:00. We cleaned for 2Hrs., 3 more people showed up and we cleaned for another Hr.. We had lunch provided by Shooter and then we shot for about 1.5 Hrs. We filled 4 or more Lrg. trash bags and gathered the the large stuff in to a pile for easy pickup.

It was good to hang out w/ some calgunners again.

PS: Shooter, I have you Rake.
Old 03-16-2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretByron View Post
ShooterDK and I got out there at about 10:00. We cleaned for 2Hrs., 3 more people showed up and we cleaned for another Hr.. We had lunch provided by Shooter and then we shot for about 1.5 Hrs. We filled 4 or more Lrg. trash bags and gathered the the large stuff in to a pile for easy pickup.

It was good to hang out w/ some calgunners again.

PS: Shooter, I have you Rake.
Very cool, guys! I didn't even see this new 209 chapter and missed this clean-up, but I'm down for any future ones.

I usually hit the BLM land along 49 between Moccasin and Coulterville. It too could use some clean-up, but I don't think it's well known. I've never had any other shooters out there when I've been there, just a few miners working their claims by the creeks, and we just wave at each other.
Old 03-19-2014, 9:12 PM

Pix anyone
Old 03-22-2014, 12:22 PM

I missed this thread too. Down to help out when needed.
Old 03-25-2014, 7:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitol View Post
Pix anyone

Oak tree to the right as a target stand? Really? Stupid gun folk and their stupid, selfish behavior.

Last edited by ShooterDK; 03-25-2014 at 7:45 AM..
Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM

Yeah common sense is hard to find nowadays
Old 03-27-2014, 6:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

There seems to be a lot of interest to keep this an ongoing event. So I propose we post on Friday night if anyone is going out to clean the range and shoot that weekend. Okay?
Old 03-30-2014, 12:24 PM

I'm heading up there today. I'll do my normal clean-up of all my trash, plus I'm going to bring some buckets and trashbags and clean up a bunch more as well.

Anyone else up for shooting on this chilly cloudy day? Either way, I'll be up there about 2pm today.

--

It was just an awesome day to be out there today. We stopped at Red Hills so I could show my wife, and I went for a quick 15 minute hike around one of the loops scouting for a future day.

Then we headed out to French Flat Rd. I went on a 30 minute hike deep into the area and into the Don Pedro land. Saw some stuff which I wish was in season and I had tags for... another day.

My Wife got to shoot her new AR upper on my lower (waiting for her lower to get outta jail). We use a large blanket to catch all our brass, and use paper targets on old cabinet doors and a small fence board. None of our trash was left.

I picked up two handfuls of trash during my first hike (kicking myself for not bring a trash bag). We filled up a household trash bag in a Home Depot orange bucked before we left. All the casings I could find, a ton of the clays, water bottles, cans, paper targets discarded in the grass near the trails, and just a bunch of regular trash that thoughtless folks leave behind, plus the contents of the trash can near the gate that someone dumped all over the place (this is horrible picture, but I'm too tired to fuss getting it to come out right).

One thing I didn't get time to do was clean up a shot up CRT or TV screen. Definitely need a bucked to hold a trash bag due to all that thick glass. I'll get it next time I go out, but if someone can beat me to it, that'd be great too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-03-30 17.30.58_scaled_cropped.jpg (82.0 KB, 1223 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-03-30 20.06.52_scaled.jpg (48.5 KB, 1219 views)

Last edited by Jason95357; 03-30-2014 at 9:07 PM..
Old 04-04-2014, 8:08 PM

I'm willing to help out when possible. Those that are going, let other know and we can meet up there. I have never been there before, sounds like a good road trip.
How far from the gate to the "shooting area"?
Can Jeff get the gate open for us to load the trash/bags into a pick-up?
Are there decent back stops to shoot into?

If I don't hear from anyone, I'll just take a ride up.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I usually hit the BLM land along 49 between Moccasin and Coulterville. It too could use some clean-up, but I don't think it's well known. I've never had any other shooters out there when I've been there, just a few miners working their claims by the creeks, and we just wave at each other.
Have no idea where this spot is. Be happy to help clean up here as well.
Old 04-04-2014, 8:12 PM

Can we get a meeting with this Jeff guy from BLM? Anyone have a contact for him?
Old 04-12-2014, 4:55 PM

I was hiking out here today. Ran into two young guys who were just hauling there gear down to the right along the main trail/car trail to go plinking. When I got back from my hike the Game Warden was parked there and talking on his phone. Sounds like the neighbors were complaining about the plinking.

I still see no restrictions for plinking on this BLM land:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/folso...trictions.html

I'm trying to reach out to a BLM LEO contact which the Game Warden gave me to ask about plinking there. Unfortunately, the number he gave me is disconnected. I'm planning to tell the BLM LEO I'd like to be on his contacts list for any land in the greater Modesto area that needs clean-up regarding plinking, and that I'd get the word out to CalGuns as well to try and arrange clean-up days where he sees a need. I'll post more when I know more.

Last edited by Jason95357; 04-12-2014 at 5:01 PM..
Old 04-12-2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason95357 View Post
I'm trying to reach out to a BLM LEO contact which the Game Warden gave me to ask about plinking there. Unfortunately, the number he gave me is disconnected. I'm planning to tell the BLM LEO I'd like to be on his contacts list for any land in the greater Modesto area that needs clean-up regarding plinking, and that I'd get the word out to CalGuns as well to try and arrange clean-up days where he sees a need. I'll post more when I know more.
Thanks for you effort. I have never been to this spot yet, might be a couple more weeks before I can get up there.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM

wow never new of this spot. i live in modesto ill try and keep an eye out for any more updates for a clean up and shoot meet, i have a pick up aswell. feel free to pm me with any info future plans!

Vote Travis Allen
Old 04-19-2014, 12:14 AM

Is it paved all the way all my cars are lowered. I'd deffinatly be able to help clean I have a station wagon I could bring.
Old 05-12-2014, 8:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot95758 View Post
Is it paved all the way all my cars are lowered. I'd deffinatly be able to help clean I have a station wagon I could bring.
It is paved as far as you can drive in.