Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Long Distance Shooting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Long Distance Shooting Discuss tools, techniques, tips and theories of long distance shooting

Old 11-30-2017, 3:35 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Yeah, that's not gonna happen...

Damn I needed that. Thats good. But it wouldn't be funny if it wasn't true

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujungatoes View Post
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 11-30-2017, 3:44 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The norcal precision rifle club runs a practice on Saturday and their match on Sunday.
So we always drove up Friday night, shot the practice Saturday morning and the match on sunday.
The practice was 10 minutes of open live fire from each firing line (2-3-5-6-8-9-1k) with spotters.
In reality the issue for me right now is being the FNG at the new job, The place is easy going but I'm not trying to rock the boat with taking to much time off too soon. I sat there and thought about the distance, and I'm willing to drive to Berger's Phoenix shoot which ain't in Phoenix and that's 500 miles away with a good stretch of nothing between El Centro and Gila Bend. So i need to sit down and really think about what I want out of this sport, What I desire of my own performance, and what I'm willing to do to get there, So I'm changing my mind on Sac, Yeah I'd drive. Smoothy can relax

Quote:
That guy is a hack. He worked on one of my ak's and now the damn thing only shoots .50 cal bullets.
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Old 12-22-2017, 9:39 PM

Isn't Coalinga an option for shooting long range?

Not as nice as Sac, but they do have matches on the third weekend of each month if I'm not mistaken...
Old 12-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

It depends on your standards. If you expect all your hits to be inside of 10" at 1,000 yards, you have a major battle. If you are just hitting steel on a gong or full size torso, then you should be able to have a fair hit count at 1,000 yards unless it's really windy.
Old 12-24-2017, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Mustang View Post
Isn't Coalinga an option for shooting long range?

Not as nice as Sac, but they do have matches on the third weekend of each month if I'm not mistaken...
While not as nice as Sac Valley, I think they have the best targets I have ever pulled. Yes, they have matches on the third weekend, but mainly 600 yard shoots or across the course style shoots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
It depends on your standards. If you expect all your hits to be inside of 10" at 1,000 yards, you have a major battle. If you are just hitting steel on a gong or full size torso, then you should be able to have a fair hit count at 1,000 yards unless it's really windy.
Cleans in T/R, or even in Open are hard to come by at 1,000 yards. There are plenty of shooters who have been shooting for years and years and the 200 score eludes them.
Old 02-13-2018, 7:33 PM

178g Hornady match bthp bullets will go subsonic at about 1000yards.

At 1000 yards:
4mph wind correction is about 23in
5mph wind correction is about 32in
6mph wind correction is about 43in

So if you error wind by 1mph you poi will shift 10in.

Past supersonic range your BC will drop and things will scew much more. It’s pretty much gamble hitting reasonable sized target past 1000 yards. But many people do that regularly.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
All things being equal. 1300 meters is realistically the limit for accurate reliable repeatable hits.
I shoot the 175 SMK, along with the Nosler 175 RDF and when I can find them cheep enough 175 Bergers I’ve got 1300 plus rounds through a Rem 700 5R at or beyond 1000 yards. I’ve made accurate repetitive hits 1275 meters. That really about the limit.

As for a the 1500 yard posted above. Yeah well maybe if you are talking about one maybe two hits out of ten in low to no wind sure. But real world 1300 meters is it and that’s really pushing it.
1,300 meters comes out to 1421.69 yards... pretty darn close to 1,500
remember a meter is a mite longer than a yard. just sayin'

will another 79 or so yards cause hit probability to really go from "accurate representative" to "maybe 2 hits out of ten"

not being a smart alek, - genuinely - is the margin between making the shot to not a chance in hell that short?
Old 02-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snuffalupagus View Post
1,300 meters comes out to 1421.69 yards... pretty darn close to 1,500
remember a meter is a mite longer than a yard. just sayin'

will another 79 or so yards cause hit probability to really go from "accurate representative" to "maybe 2 hits out of ten"

not being a smart alek, - genuinely - is the margin between making the shot to not a chance in hell that short?
It can be, with going subsonic, bullet instability, and just plain loss of velocity yeah.
Shooter and rifle aside, It depends a lot on the bullet and how it reacts transonic. And let’s not forget wind. The wind call changes exponentially in the transonic zone if you are also dealing with a unstable bullet.

Quote:
Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Edited to add: I am no longer CA and living in the Live, Freeze, or Die state of NH. I’ve gotten so used to shooting supressed that I don’t give it a second thought. Other than the price tag anyway.

To contribute to the noise, er data, here’s my set up and results:

Reminging 700 PSS in .308 with 26" heavy contour barrel plus a Sig SRD762 supressor (6.6”).

As a benchmark with M118 LR (Lake City 175 grain match)@100y I am getting between 1 to 1.5” groups. This is the limit of my skill and not the rifle or the round.

@800 y (the longest I have in my area) I’m getting 9 to 10” groups.

@800 y with a handloaded (not by me) subsonic 208gr round I’m getting 10” to 12” groups.

The above includes data from both my Nikon Monarch scope and my new (to me) Leupold MK4 M3 scope. I don’t have enough data (only 40 rounds at distance) to break the Leupold out into its own data set yet. Early indications indicates I’m better with it though, although it was a stone cold *bleep* to zero.

None of these groups includes flyers (which rarely happen these days) or blown windcalls (which happens a *bleep* ton more often than it should).

“Let him who has no gun sell his robe and buy one” Gospel According to SGT Kane 22:36

Last edited by SGTKane; 02-28-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTKane View Post
Edited to add: I am no longer CA and living in the Live, Freeze, or Die state of NH.

@800 y with a handloaded (not by me) subsonic 208gr round I’m getting 10” to 12” groups.
I also trust very post on calguns especially when it comes from east coast.
You realize that subsonic will drop 96 feet at 800y that is 12 story building drop

Even VKS does not claim 800 y subsonic going anywhere

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/VKS_sniper_rifle
Old 03-03-2018, 4:23 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillgoat View Post
You realize that subsonic will drop 96 feet at 800y that is 12 story building drop

He also claimed the Leupold was a pain to zero. sounds like the scope is smarter than he is.

Quote:
Old 04-10-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillgoat View Post

So, because I'm no longer a California resident, I'm not qualified to answer data driven questions? Ok.

Here's the recipe for the 208 grain round that I'm apparently getting such amazing results with:

208 grain AMAX (although any 208 grain round should work)
8 to 10 gr Red Dot (10 to 12 Trail Boss)
Large Rifle Magnum Primer
Enlarge flash hole (not sure by how much, as noted above I don't load these myself. They are loaded by friend)

I get 1025 to 1050 fps at 0y and between 775 and 800 at 800y.

Looking at my DOPE, I'm coming up 30 mils off a 300y zero shooting off the bench.

So as long as I don't **** up the wind calls, I get the 10 to 12" group at 800y.

I'm sorry that that disturbs you for some reason. But you know, the best part of this is, now that you have the load, you can go test this yourself and see if you can reproduce the results.

A couple of cavats to that. If you do use this load, make sure you dial it into your platform. Be aware that an AR-10/clone it may not cycle (at least it doesn't on my fulton arms upper, which is why I use my 700). Blown wind calls with this load are pretty dramatic and as I mentioned above, I do struggle reading the wind.

Quote:
He also claimed the Leupold was a pain to zero. sounds like the scope is smarter than he is.
It was. Turns out it was some bad glass from Optics Planet (used scope sold as new, they made it right, eventually).

“Let him who has no gun sell his robe and buy one” Gospel According to SGT Kane 22:36
Old 04-10-2018, 10:34 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTKane View Post
Looking at my DOPE, I'm coming up 30 mils off a 300y zero shooting off the bench.
Yeah baby!
What's your 10mph wind hold at 800y?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Yeah baby!
Honestly? With a full value 10mph wind like that I try really hard not to shoot.

Consulting my DOPE again, where my notes say I tried such a shot, I've got 3 mils and 2 mils in various places.

But I'm not the guy to talk too about wind, because I don't read it well. And that pollutes the DOPE (say I think its 90 degrees and 10 mph, but its really 65 degrees and 12)

Old 04-10-2018, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah baby!
About the same as the same bullet moving at 2500 fps out of a 308.

Less than a 175smk with a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps.

The ballistics behind that apparent anomaly are interesting and relevant to the how far question.