Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-30-2018, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Pluribus Unum View Post
I love you guys... I do... but if you had trouble registering your rifles, I think it was a DOS error. (Dumb Operator Syndrome).

I was in and out of the registration system several times leading up to the deadline. On the night of the deadline, I was on it non-stop for 4 hours uploading everything. I had some issues with chrome and firefox, but when I loaded the site in Internet Explorer, it was bullet-proof and completely available; fast even.

I waited WAY too long to register. Ultimately, if the system was down on the last day and I did not get my rifles registered in time, that's on me... not the state.
I registered weeks in advance, and had no trouble doing so. I tried to get back into the system in the days immediately before the deadline, and the system was completely borked. While I believe people should have registered early, it's definitely the states fault the system was total crap. It should have remained 100% functional until midnight on the 29th.
Old 07-30-2018, 6:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBrowningfan View Post
There is an email notice sent by DoJ that precedes the hardcopy letter that is mailed. If you did not receive the hardcopy in say, 10 days after receiving the email notice, you could email or call about the missing letter.
I never got the email. The letter just showed up one day.
Old 07-30-2018, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Tungsten View Post
I registered weeks in advance, and had no trouble doing so. I tried to get back into the system in the days immediately before the deadline, and the system was completely borked. While I believe people should have registered early, it's definitely the states fault the system was total crap. It should have remained 100% functional until midnight on the 29th.
I guess it's an accountability thing. There are those that find themselves late to work... and when pressed, they had a flat tire, they hit traffic, they had for all intents and purposes "a good excuse" and then there are those that in four years have never been late.

It's not that one person is more prone to trouble, it's that some people take attention to detail to maintain their vehicles, get to bed early, leave an hour before they are supposed to, et cetera so they are less likely to have their backs against the wall.

When it comes to registering or not registering a rifle forEVER... and one waits until THE last day when he had 6 months to prepare who has more of the blame there?

As an IT guy, I understand what happens to web servers when it's designed to handle x users and 500x try to use it at the same time. The state should not have to pay for infrastructure upgrades to handle 2 days worth of traffic.

One thing is for sure: no matter how much money they dump into a lawsuit, they will not be allowed to register their rifles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
12050[CCW] licenses will be shall issue soon.

-Gene
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meplat View Post
Ignorance of the law is no excuse……..except for police.
Old 07-30-2018, 8:32 PM

Quote:
...As an IT guy, I understand what happens to web servers when it's designed to handle x users and 500x try to use it at the same time. The state should not have to pay for infrastructure upgrades to handle 2 days worth of traffic.
There are alternatives that don't require paying for infrastructure upgrades....

Amazon has made a small fortune providing demand-based infrastructure with Amazon Web Services. Oracle claims to offer more scalable services at lower cost than AWS.

The point being that this isn't the first rodeo for the state regarding registration of AWs. It would have been relatively easy to create a service that scaled up to meet demand and then scaled down afterward (Oracle is a current vendor to the state of CA - indeed, one of the development line items was for PL/SQL development resource(s)).

The attempt at a web site for performing the registration effort was textbook amateur hour.
Old 07-30-2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj805 View Post
I never got the email. The letter just showed up one day.
You are one of the very few who received a letter without first receiving an email from DoJ.

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your registration and how long from submission of registration to when the letter showed up? I am trying to get some idea on current processing timeframes - I am almost at 90 days from submission of registration application. For a plain-vanilla CA-compliant BBAW (based on manufacturers model number) and so far, crickets (the CFARS website shows In Progress, but nothing from DoJ in the way of email communication or letter).
Old 07-30-2018, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The point being that this isn't the first rodeo for the state regarding registration of AWs. It would have been relatively easy to create a service that scaled up to meet demand and then scaled down afterward (Oracle is a current vendor to the state of CA - indeed, one of the development line items was for PL/SQL development resource(s)).
Yeah... I've been here for all of them. The first one was so bad, standard ARs went from $1000 to $1800 overnight so I could not afford one.

The second one was the 50 caliber ban, and for that one you needed to go get fingerprinted and the process was so long, time-consuming and offered no online support I never got anything registered.

This time it was a sinch. Register. Take Pictures. Upload. Pay. Good to Go
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 07-30-2018, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah... I've been here for all of them. The first one was so bad, standard ARs went from $1000 to $1800 overnight so I could not afford one.
Sounds like what happened to prices after the election that launched this whole cluster**** back in 2016 - prices went from ~$750 to ~$1,500 for lightly used BBAWs overnight. At a certain point (October, 2016?) there were no more new BBAWs that could be delivered in time for the purchaser to take possession before the DROS window closed on December 31, 2016. Then prices jumped by around $1,000 for the BBAWs that remained in dealer inventory.

Quote:
This time it was a sinch. Register. Take Pictures. Upload. Pay. Good to Go
I wouldn't go that far. If it was a cinch, I would have already received my registration letter. And there wouldn't be folks who have had their application in a pending status (In Progress) for more than 120+ days and still crickets from DoJ.
Old 07-30-2018, 9:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far. If it was a cinch, I would have already received my registration letter. And there wouldn't be folks who have had their application in a pending status (In Progress) for more than 120+ days and still crickets from DoJ.
Whether they were instantly processed or it takes six months, the process of getting to an "In-Process" state was the same. Compared to the 50 caliber ban, trust me; this was cake.
Quote:

-Gene
Quote:
Old 07-31-2018, 4:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
You are one of the very few who received a letter without first receiving an email from DoJ.

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your registration and how long from submission of registration to when the letter showed up? I am trying to get some idea on current processing timeframes - I am almost at 90 days from submission of registration application. For a plain-vanilla CA-compliant BBAW (based on manufacturers model number) and so far, crickets (the CFARS website shows In Progress, but nothing from DoJ in the way of email communication or letter).
I had two submissions. One for store bought receivers, and one for competed home builds. While I was waiting for serial numbers to be issued I decided to complete the registration on the store bought recivers. These were also registered jointly. BTW, the wife never got the email either, the letter just showed up on the same day my letter did.

Store bought receivers were submitted on 03/24/18 (both the regular and joint registrations were completed the same day) and the letters showed up about 5 weeks later.

Completed 80% receivers were submitted on 05/13/18 (again, both standard and joint registrations) and I haven't heard a peep from the DOJ.

Last edited by jj805; 07-31-2018 at 4:38 AM..