Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > Ventura Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 8:36 AM

Default New to Simi Valley and looking

Hey everyone. I just recently moved out to Simi Valley to go to school. I'm in the market for a .45 cal 1911. In especially interested in a sig sauer. I was just wondering if anyone had suggests on places to to in Simi or who might have them in stock

Thanks.

Last edited by Hermannator; 05-20-2013 at 9:23 AM..
Old 05-20-2013, 10:02 AM

You can try Greta's or smokin barrel. They're located directly in simi otherwise there are many shops in Ventura and Oxnard. EBR in newbury park has decent inventory as well. Good luck
Old 05-20-2013, 1:05 PM

Thanks. I'll have to check them out.
Old 05-20-2013, 1:09 PM

Also try Fort Courage
Old 05-20-2013, 1:21 PM
Veteran Member

Skip gretas and try smokin barrel or fort courage
Old 05-20-2013, 1:28 PM

Anyone been to any of these places recently and seen some in stock?
Old 05-20-2013, 1:51 PM
Banned

Greta's treats customers like crap
Old 05-20-2013, 4:42 PM
Veteran Member

We have a thread you can check out for local gun shops in Ventura County...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=660475
Old 05-20-2013, 5:16 PM

Oh great. Thank you everyone. What about the best range in the area?
Old 05-20-2013, 6:40 PM
CGN Contributor

Gretta's has very fair prices. You will pay $125 - $170 more for the same weapon at other shop mentioned. I bought both my recent XD's at Gretta's and saved a ton of money, almost enough to buy another one. Their ammo is way over priced as well, at least $10 - 15 more per box.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-20-2013, 7:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermannator View Post
Oh great. Thank you everyone. What about the best range in the area?
There are only two public ranges in the county, both indoor, and Island View is by far the best. Stop by and check out our monthly CGSSA Ventura County Chapter meet at Island View in Ventura.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=632256
Old 05-22-2013, 7:22 AM

Wes Thompson's gun range in Piru is close to you. It's an outdoor range.

http://www.pirugunrange.com/Piru_Gun...come_Page.html
Old 05-22-2013, 8:55 AM

there are three gun stores in simi, there is fort courage armory that is really friendly but it seems like a lot of there stuff is used or consignment. when i went in there i dont think there was any new guns unless i missed them. the guys there are friendly and seem to know what they are talking about

there is smoking barrel i believe its called and they are over priced but seem to have a good selection of guns. the guy i talked to in there seemed to be friendly and knew what he was talking about but my buddy also had a bad experience with them being rude. he was going to buy a gun and wanted to give a CC over the phone and was asking a bunch of questions about the gun he wanted. they treated him like he was some kid that wasnt going to spend hundreds of dollars at their store.

your best bet is grettas guns, this gun store has been around for forever in simi and has a lot of guns at their store new and used. they are fairly priced and depending who you get are pretty friendly. you do get some grumpy old guys in there who dont take you serious and think they know everything.

also you could go to turners in the valley, my dad just bought two guns from their and he said they were nice and had a good selection.
Old 05-22-2013, 9:41 AM

Thanks for the information. It sounds like there are quite a bit of mixed reviews about Grettas.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:49 AM

as far as price wise and selection i would say grettas is the best its just the customer service is lacking. if you can deal with that or if you are lucky enough to get one of the younger guys there.
Old 05-28-2013, 7:55 AM
CGN Contributor

I think most of the bad press about Gretta's come from individuals that are making comments from what they have heard. I have purchased many weapons & ammo from them and have never had an issue.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 05-28-2013, 8:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

First, I don't even live in Simi but, I know there are currently FOUR brick and mortar gun stores in Simi and several home based FFLs as well. I'm going to sit back and wait for you guys to do your homework to find the other store. Oh, I'm not talking about LS&B since, they would make it 5 but, they do not do retail sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Gretta's has very fair prices. You will pay $125 - $170 more for the same weapon at other shop mentioned. I bought both my recent XD's at Gretta's and saved a ton of money, almost enough to buy another one. Their ammo is way over priced as well, at least $10 - 15 more per box.
Quote:
I think most of the bad press about Gretta's come from individuals that are making comments from what they have heard. I have purchased many weapons & ammo from them and have never had an issue.
Think what you want but, as someone who has been forced to deal with Greta's staff, in the past, on a regular basis, as know it all customers while I worked at another shop/range, I will never recommend them to anyone. Yes, I've been to their shops (both the old one and the new one). I have only seen and experienced rude behavior and attitudes from all of the staff. I have heard way too much FUD from them. Some could land anyone who listens and trusts them in prison! The store has a long history of being overpriced. Maybe you just shopped at other overpriced stores or got lucky but, your experience isn't the normal one I have heard of, experienced or witnessed. Personally, due to countless previous interactions with them, I'll never recommend them to anyone unless, someone needs a holster right away.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 05-28-2013, 10:56 AM

+1 for Gretas

they have tons of used goodies :-)
Old 05-29-2013, 5:45 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
First, I don't even live in Simi but, I know there are currently FOUR brick and mortar gun stores in Simi and several home based FFLs as well. I'm going to sit back and wait for you guys to do your homework to find the other store. Oh, I'm not talking about LS&B since, they would make it 5 but, they do not do retail sales.

Think what you want but, as someone who has been forced to deal with Greta's staff, in the past, on a regular basis, as know it all customers while I worked at another shop/range, I will never recommend them to anyone. Yes, I've been to their shops (both the old one and the new one). I have only seen and experienced rude behavior and attitudes from all of the staff. I have heard way too much FUD from them. Some could land anyone who listens and trusts them in prison! The store has a long history of being overpriced. Maybe you just shopped at other overpriced stores or got lucky but, your experience isn't the normal one I have heard of, experienced or witnessed. Personally, due to countless previous interactions with them, I'll never recommend them to anyone unless, someone needs a holster right away.
Really ??????

Old 05-29-2013, 6:03 AM

EBR Works has stock of Sig Sauer .45 ACP. Here's the link. They are located in Thousand Oaks, and have terrific customer service.
Old 05-29-2013, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo2x View Post
EBR Works has stock of Sig Sauer .45 ACP. Here's the link. They are located in Thousand Oaks, and have terrific customer service.
EBR Works is great and usually first in my book. I just did a purchase from them and they were $300 cheaper than Greta's. I also use Island View Enterprises in Ventura. Nice staff and they can get the hard to find items like EBR also. (kriss, ps90, etc)

Greta's is always last on my list. Always over priced and rude. Which is sad cause, they do business with me but I can't return it to them cause their staff is just not nice. Owner is great just not the staff.

Last edited by bluonyx; 05-29-2013 at 6:18 AM..
Old 05-29-2013, 6:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Really ??????
YES! As someone who has been in numerous gun shops in CA over the last 40 some years and as someone who has been involved in hundreds of firearms transactions, I've tried to give them my business several times. Each time I have either been the subject of their rude attitudes or have witnessed another victim being subjected to it. The FUD and lack of knowledge of CA firearms laws in that shop has been among the highest in the state.

Now, you're from Simi, right? Can you name the forth brick and mortar retail gun store in Simi? It has been around for around a decade that I know of. Oh, it is not LS&B or Big 5.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

KM6WLV
Old 05-29-2013, 8:47 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
YES! As someone who has been in numerous gun shops in CA over the last 40 some years and as someone who has been involved in hundreds of firearms transactions, I've tried to give them my business several times. Each time I have either been the subject of their rude attitudes or have witnessed another victim being subjected to it. The FUD and lack of knowledge of CA firearms laws in that shop has been among the highest in the state.

Now, you're from Simi, right? Can you name the forth brick and mortar retail gun store in Simi? It has been around for around a decade that I know of. Oh, it is not LS&B or Big 5.
Sorry, been buying from Gretta's for years and as I said, not a problem with them once and have never seen them or heard them being rude etc., with anyone. All my friends buy from them as well. For me it's all about the relationship. Gretta's will continue to get my business.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience. I am sure that they see all types of customers - both good and bad. It's their shop and I totally support them throwing out the difficult ones if they have to - makes my shopping experience more pleasurable.

Old 05-29-2013, 9:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sorry, been buying from Gretta's for years and as I said, not a problem with them once and have never seen them or heard them being rude etc., with anyone. All my friends buy from them as well. For me it's all about the relationship. Gretta's will continue to get my business.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience. I am sure that they see all types of customers - both good and bad. It's their shop and I totally support them throwing out the difficult ones if they have to - makes my shopping experience more pleasurable.
Hell, they were rude when they came into the shop/range I worked at! It wasn't about one specific experience for me, it is about every single experience I've had with them at both their locations and outside their shop as well. I agree about the "relationship" thing and the fact that I have plenty of better current relationships with about a dozen other local FFLs means that I don't have to bother trying to establish a better relationship with them. Yet, I've tried and just ended up realizing that they are who they are and they can't change the fact that they don't understand CA firearms laws and feel the need to misguide their customers. There has to be some reason that the other 5 brick and mortar shops that sell firearms in Simi don't have the same reputation for bad service, outright rude behavior and spreading FUD. Let's see, the next worst would be Big 5 but, after that we have (in no particular order) L,S&B (internet auctions only but, if you're local, you can pick up and drop off at their store front), FCA, Smoking Barrel and ....... So far no one has been able to name the other M-F, 9-5 gun shop in Simi.
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-29-2013, 9:48 AM

Quote:
So far no one has been able to name the other M-F, 9-5 gun shop in Simi.
http://bullseyesportingarms.com/index.php
Old 05-29-2013, 9:49 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yep. It's funny how the guys who live in Simi don't even know it's there!
Utah CCW Instructor

KM6WLV
Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 AM
CGN Contributor

Time to step out of this Thread!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
ive lived in simi all my life and i have never heard of this place...crazy
Old 06-03-2013, 1:24 AM

Bullseye mainly deals in super fancy sporting guns. Seems to be a niche place.
Old 06-03-2013, 9:17 AM

Gretas has the best selection of consignment guns i've found. In the last year i've purchased 3 extremely good deals from them. However i will agree that their new stock on certain firearms are a bit over priced.

They have always been very polite to me, but then again I’m an experienced gun owner that knows what I’m looking for. I’m not a beginner going after my first firearm needing advice or some kid saying, “yo boyz, I gotz to get me a Glock! Pop! Pop! Pop!”. Maybe they aren’t good with beginners, I wouldn’t know. I also always avoid dangerous conversation topics like. 9mm vs 45acp, 22lr for self defense, 1911 vs Glock, etc.

I will say though their consignment section is good and if you are looking for something off roster or a good deal stay on the left side of the store.

Last edited by Goop; 06-03-2013 at 9:23 AM..