Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-19-2017, 2:16 PM

Okay...I'm about three weeks out from expiration...should I send my renewal app in?

J/K

I turned it in last March, 5 months out, via email. They confirmed receipt right away. A couple of months later they asked for proof of employment when they were done with my file review, which I sent, and they submitted it for final approval. Got that about 2 months out, and they asked for my training certification. Turned that in, got confirmation, and now waiting for a pickup appointment.

My guess is I'll get it within a very short time to my expiration. I'm hoping that by getting my renewal app in well in advance I won't have a laps from expiration.
Old 07-19-2017, 5:37 PM

They normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires. I heard it's because they want you to get as close to the 24 months as possible from original license. It doesn't matter if you sent it in 5 months early or 3 months it doesn't matter. Just don't let it lapse! Got mine 5 days before the expiration.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibairho View Post
They normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires. I heard it's because they want you to get as close to the 24 months as possible from original license. It doesn't matter if you sent it in 5 months early or 3 months it doesn't matter. Just don't let it lapse! Got mine 5 days before the expiration.
That does not seem to reconcile with my experience, nor the experience of many here. They do not "normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires."

It depends when you submitted your renewal and what the volume of applications and manpower is.

Many have submitted their renewal apps well before the expiration and still watched their licenses expire and stay that way for weeks before getting the renewal.

Also if you are approved AFTER your license has expired, the new effective date will be your pick up date, not the previous expiration.
Old 07-20-2017, 8:18 AM

They seem to be getting caught up somewhat - also what I found about this time two years ago when I first got mine. Seems like there was a huge wave of applicants right after the Peruta decision and then it tapered off, also reflected in the number of renewals two years later.
DOJ and FBI seem to have sped up as well - we're hearing some 2-3 week results on live scan.

I don't see any reason why I won't get a pickup appointment on are before my expiration. My timeline has always been straightforward from initial to renewal.

I'll certainly update here for posterity.
Old 07-21-2017, 9:31 PM
To clear just rack once ✔
CGN Contributor

@H-Minus: FYI, although you deleted your post, it doesn't really get deleted.

Anyway, do you have any hobbies that have expensive items that you take outside your home? Do you wear expensive personal items (watches, jewelry)? Do you ever go places where you are alone (secluded beaches, forests, desert, or where unsavory people are present)? Any of these could be spun into a GC statement.

.45 ACP. It's like a 9mm, except for grown-ups.
Old 07-22-2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
That does not seem to reconcile with my experience, nor the experience of many here. They do not "normally issue 1-2 weeks before your old one expires."

It depends when you submitted your renewal and what the volume of applications and manpower is.

Many have submitted their renewal apps well before the expiration and still watched their licenses expire and stay that way for weeks before getting the renewal.

Also if you are approved AFTER your license has expired, the new effective date will be your pick up date, not the previous expiration.

That's all a thing of the past. I've been told there's a new supervisor and he has changed the processing of renewals and there should not be any lapses as long as the renewal application is turned in complete with GC supporting documents, Color copy of CDL, and two utility bills, 90 days before your expiration. My friend told me the new system is working! Hopefully, he's right. Fingers crossed.
Old 07-24-2017, 7:21 AM

Good to know the timeline as I'll have to send that in soon. if only they could switch to a 4 yr renewal or something. This 2 yr stuff is nonsense. Is that just at the discretion of the sheriff?
Old 07-24-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastrider View Post
Good to know the timeline as I'll have to send that in soon. if only they could switch to a 4 yr renewal or something. This 2 yr stuff is nonsense. Is that just at the discretion of the sheriff?
In SB County at one time they were YEARLY! Be happy with being approved and 2 year renewals.
Old 07-24-2017, 7:39 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fastrider View Post
Two years is the state Maximum by law.
Old 07-31-2017, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
Okay...I'm about three weeks out from expiration...should I send my renewal app in?

J/K

I turned it in last March, 5 months out, via email. They confirmed receipt right away. A couple of months later they asked for proof of employment when they were done with my file review, which I sent, and they submitted it for final approval. Got that about 2 months out, and they asked for my training certification. Turned that in, got confirmation, and now waiting for a pickup appointment.

My guess is I'll get it within a very short time to my expiration. I'm hoping that by getting my renewal app in well in advance I won't have a laps from expiration.
Quoting myself on my renewal timeline...
Submitted 5 months in advance - pickup appointment is less than a week before expiration. It's all done!
Old 08-02-2017, 9:48 AM

And just to update...
Renewal appointment today - in an out in about 15 minutes. There were about a half-dozen with appointments all at the same time, all riding the elevator up together to the CCW section at OCSD.

They have a new card machine, it's very modern. They give you your new card and ask you to keep the old one 'till it expires - the new one isn't good 'till the old one expires, then you destroy it.

They now have two teams - one for new applicants and one for renewals. My final was with another fellow permittee, the clerk processed us both out in minutes. She said 90 days for our next renewal is plenty of time.

While sitting there the Sergeant popped in for a brief moment, met him, he's new and has brought in a lot of changes including the new option for 5 weapons on your permit. Their processes have also been streamlined and improved - their backlog is now caught up. Very nice fellow.

I asked him about any incidents with the carriers and he knocked on wood, said just some silly stuff, like getting drunk and and arrested, thank god they weren't carrying. But probation and likely revocation for acting bad.

And they have asked the trainers to advise carriers to have a separate range bag from anything you might travel with. Too easy to leave for a trip, hit the airport with a couple of bullets, a mag, or even a firearm in their bag - it's a $2000 federal fine. He said the DA has been lenient for revocation because of being unintentional, but it's a big no-no at the airport.

That's all I got. Renew and carry on.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM
CGN Contributor

Yeah, the only folks that go up that elevator to the CCW floor are CCW people and people interviewing for jobs--those are the younger ones wearing suits. Evidently, HR is on that floor, as well.

Was that Sgt. "D" that you were chatting it up with? (I don't want to post his name, out of respect for his privacy). He is very friendly. I, too, spoke with him while they were working out the new ID machine's kinks. I was the first guy to officially get the new ID format a couple of months ago.

Old 08-02-2017, 12:51 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't catch his first name (hard of hearing LOL) but his shirt definitely said SGT and he's a great big older white dude.

It's funny, OCSD makes you feel like family. They're all so friendly, it's like you're one of them - the special people they issue carry permits to. If they didn't trust you you wouldn't get one, right? As I tell my friends, I'm been thoroughly vetted by CA DOJ and the FBI. LOL
Old 08-02-2017, 12:59 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm sorry, I didn't catch his first name (hard of hearing LOL) but his shirt definitely said SGT and he's a great big older white dude.
That's him! 👍

Quote:
It's funny, OCSD makes you feel like family. They're all so friendly, it's like you're one of them - the special people they issue carry permits to. If they didn't trust you you wouldn't get one, right?
Exactly my impression of them as well.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 PM

Received my conditional approval email today for my renewal... current permit expires early October... submitted renewal application and GC early April... renewal training scheduled for mid September at FastOC... can't express my gratitude enough for the professionalism and pro ccw standings of the OCSD

Last edited by Xstrada; 08-03-2017 at 12:01 AM..
Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 PM

I was trying to read up on the renewal process for my CCW do you have to submit a new GC or will they use the same GC you submitted when you got approved ?
Old 08-17-2017, 2:28 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngbranden View Post
I was trying to read up on the renewal process for my CCW do you have to submit a new GC or will they use the same GC you submitted when you got approved ?

From what I understand (but I've been known to be mistaken), you can change your original GCS or submit a new one. Either way, you will still be required to defend it.

Old 08-17-2017, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post
From what I understand (but I've been known to be mistaken), you can change your original GCS or submit a new one. Either way, you will still be required to defend it.
^^This. In my renewal app I simply stated that my GCW had not changed. They simply asked me to re-confirm my employment status with proof. All done quickly via email.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag+1 View Post

alrighty then! guess ill need to stock up on more proof for my GC
Old 08-17-2017, 5:00 PM

Default When to file for renewal

Chatted with one of the CCW team today, and she confirmed that it's now ok to send in your renewal three months prior to expiration. They're up-to-date, and it's no longer necessary to file your renewal six months out.
Old 08-17-2017, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyIron View Post
Chatted with one of the CCW team today, and she confirmed that it's now ok to send in your renewal three months prior to expiration. They're up-to-date, and it's no longer necessary to file your renewal six months out.
Post 1411.
Old 08-17-2017, 9:04 PM

Yes, you were the first to mention it within the context of a myriad of other subjects. You get the prize. Yay.
Old 08-21-2017, 4:07 PM

This is my first renewal process for OC. CCW expires Oct. 2017
7/12 Packet sent
7/14 Email from Unit telling me packet was complete/in process
8/21 Email from Unit re "conditionally approved" attend 4 hr class and fax proof of class
9/09 Faxed proof of 4 hr class and re qualify
9/20 Email "Congratulations" renewal approved - Appt to pick up renewal 10/11
10/11 picked up renewal. Easy and fast. In out in less than 30 mins. OCSD rocks

Three months - start to finish.
Nice work by OCSD. Very helpful throughout.
Got some great assistance from two Calgunners on the GC statement

Last edited by dennis9288; 10-11-2017 at 3:11 PM.. Reason: adding dates
Old 09-04-2017, 8:45 AM

Hey guys, I have a question about the renewal application. Do you fill out the entire application or only the section that they stated?

Do you have to summit all 13 page if you have to fill out the entire application?

Thanks
Old 09-04-2017, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffguy View Post
Hey guys, I have a question about the renewal application. Do you fill out the entire application or only the section that they stated?

Do you have to summit all 13 page if you have to fill out the entire application?

Thanks
That's two questions....

The website instructions keep mentioning completing and submitting a new application. Among other guidance is this:
Quote:
The following documents are required for all renewals:
-Completed New CCW Application (One sided)
-Complete Section 7 (pages 9 & 10) of the standard application
http://www.ocsd.org/about/info/servi...al_application

Last edited by Dvrjon; 09-04-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Old 09-04-2017, 6:03 PM

Fill the application out completely. Color copy of CDL, 2 utility bills, and supporting documents that show you do what your good cause says
Old 09-26-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xstrada View Post
Received my conditional approval email today for my renewal... current permit expires early October... submitted renewal application and GC early April... renewal training scheduled for mid September at FastOC... can't express my gratitude enough for the professionalism and pro ccw standings of the OCSD
Picked up my renewal permit today... extremely smooth and well organized process... was told 3 months in advance for next renewal information was sufficient enough instead of the 6 months I currently did on this one
Old 10-05-2017, 9:36 PM

Default Thank you OCSD!!!

Long time lurker, first post...

I feel very fortunate and privileged that the OCSD granted my renewal. Best of all, it was FAST!

Timeline:
8/22: Submitted renewal docs
8/28: Notified to resend docs
9/14: Contacted by deputy saying I needed to show proof to corroborate GC
9/15: Sent additional docs and explanation (including crime stats in areas I frequently visit, signed attestation from people, receipts, email copies, etc.)
10/4: Received conditional approval, pending completion of training

Current license expires in mid-December.

OCSD, you are the GOAT!!!

Thank you for your service to the community!
Old 10-07-2017, 1:35 AM

I submitted renewal docs in early July and have not heard a word and expire in early Jan. Should I call and check in, or be expecting a call? Wondering if they might have just thumbs up my GC since I have not heard anything other than an email exchange when I first submitted my docs saying they had everything.
Old 10-07-2017, 6:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Location: In rebel held territory. Long live the Confederacy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsCCW View Post
I submitted renewal docs in early July and have not heard a word and expire in early Jan. Should I call and check in, or be expecting a call? Wondering if they might have just thumbs up my GC since I have not heard anything other than an email exchange when I first submitted my docs saying they had everything.
They won't call you they will e-mail you so check your spam folder as my approval e-mail wound up there.
"Life Is Hard. Its Harder When You're Stupid"-John Wayne!
"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!
Old 10-10-2017, 4:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregsCCW View Post
Call or email them - they'll check your app status. They are issuing a couple of weeks prior to expiration, you keep your old card 'till it expires then destroy it - the new one takes effect on your expiration. They may simply be waiting for your date to get closer, but won't hurt to confirm it's in process.

BTW, unbeknownst to me, on my renewal I found out my permit is good in 25 states. Check here:
https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_c...city_maps.html