Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-07-2009, 8:14 AM

Default Anyone else get the droid?

How do you like it? I've had some trouble updating contacts but overall like the phone any other thoughts, or tricks?
Old 11-07-2009, 8:36 AM

On November 20th, its either droid or iphone I'm not sure what to get. How are the apps?
Old 11-07-2009, 9:00 AM

the android market is cool, I didn't like that you have to have a gmail account to sync, as I've used yahoo forever but they forward from your acct for 30 days. I like it better because it has the qwerty keyboard. very stout!!!! I'd give the apps 2 months and they'll be as good if not better than apple, seeing as the Android software is open we will see. hope this helps, anyone else?

The google maps feature is the stuff, amazing feature, if you get confused like i do with directions.

Last edited by f4iguy; 11-07-2009 at 9:04 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 9:04 AM

I'm thinking about picking up the Droid Eris. My contract is up, and with my New Every 2 discount, I can get it for $49.99. Not a bad price for an Android phone. The only drawback is that it comes with Android 1.5, not 2.0 like the Droid.
Old 11-07-2009, 9:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4iguy View Post
the android market is cool, I didn't like that you have to have a gmail account to sync, as I've used yahoo forever but they forward from your acct for 30 days. I like it better because it has the qwerty keyboard. very stout!!!! I'd give the apps 2 months and they'll be as good if not better than apple, seeing as the Android software is open we will see. hope this helps, anyone else?

The google maps feature is the stuff, amazing feature, if you get confused like i do with directions.

You can only use gmail?!?!
Old 11-07-2009, 9:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead995 View Post
Dont take my word but it is a GOGGLE phone.......
Old 11-07-2009, 9:14 AM

I have a Sprint HTC Hero .. Android 1.5 works great, but I can't wait for 2.0 (or at least 1.6). Very happy with the system, HTC has made a very slick interface to sit on top of Android. Going from a Mogul (HTC 6800) to this is a huge difference .. I just miss being able to use WMWifiRouter to share my 3G connection .. I'm sure there will be something similar for Android soon enough.
Old 11-07-2009, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennG31 View Post
I'm thinking about picking up the Droid Eris. My contract is up, and with my New Every 2 discount, I can get it for $49.99. Not a bad price for an Android phone. The only drawback is that it comes with Android 1.5, not 2.0 like the Droid.
Pay the extra for 2.0
Old 11-07-2009, 9:18 AM

I read that the Droid is good and maybe the best Android phone yet,But I'll stick with my Iphone.
Old 11-07-2009, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzigalil View Post
I read that the Droid is good and maybe the best Android phone yet,But I'll stick with my Iphone.
dont blame you. Its a fair phone.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead995 View Post
You need a google account to use the marketplace.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-07-2009, 11:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

wish droid came for SIM carriers....

although it would be moot since i just got a new contract... so it will be till next year oct before i can get a new phone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSig1911 View Post
Preppers canceled my order this afternoon because I called them a disgrace... Not ordering from those clowns again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrepperGunShop View Post
Truthfully, we cancelled your order because of your lack of civility and your threats ... What is a problem is when you threaten my customer service team and make demands instead of being civil. Plain and simple just don't be an a**hole (where you told us to shove it).
Old 11-07-2009, 11:54 AM

I just went and checked it out. VERY nice. However, the plans Verizon has are way too expensive. I'll stick to TMO and wait for the other Droid phones to start rolling out...

Eric
Old 11-07-2009, 12:18 PM
In Memoriam

I'm waiting it out for a bit.

I think the best devices on android will be out in awhile and I'm not going to jump ship to Verizon now and pay their fees until we see more hardware.

The killer for me is that the VPN client doesn't allow you to use a grouppasswd key by default and you have to do some hacky stuff to get it to work. When they change that, I will be happier to leave my Blackberry behind and get my work email via a VPN connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalK9.com View Post
Also dont worry if u have never built one once you go to a build party you will know everything and have a perfect functioning rifle.
Old 11-07-2009, 2:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch705 View Post
wish droid came for SIM carriers....

although it would be moot since i just got a new contract... so it will be till next year oct before i can get a new phone.
There is a GSM version of the phone and you could buy it and just stick your existing SIM card in it.

http://www.talkandroid.com/1847-moto...d-gsm-version/

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)