Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
Wait.. Is there a thread on this? Willing to share a little more?

Turby
When the incident first happened I did post here, but the mods wisely deleted it quickly. That was 8 years ago. I don't care to discuss it much these days, but it was an awful, financially ruinous situation that I still haven't recovered from financially. Good lawyers are expensive (but worth every penny). Just going for the ride in an SD case if they really want to take you on one just plain sucks. I shudder to think what would have happened if the weapon was illegal.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

I don't own a FAL yet but plan on picking one up in the not too distant future. Probably an 18" Voyager.

I didn't buy one last year due to limited budget, and it's one of the less awful fixed mag setups when set up to top load with stripper clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 09-17-2017, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
If all hell breaks lose, the rifle has to be used as-is. It is foolish to plan around taking a minute or two to remove some feature or device. Chances are that you will never get the opportunity, and that has been my experience in real life. Turning it into an AW for defense also presents an issue, especially in a more strongly Leftist county like Los Angeles. IME, the chances of going through the wringer with a perfectly legal firearm is high; I have no desire to have to go through that process and also possibly have to defend an AW charge, especially with the latest laws passed.

My rifle is already set-up to be loaded using chargers as even with the BB I had no desire to use a tool. The FAL is one of the more difficult self-loaders to load in this manner, but it can be done reliably with practice, as well as quickly (it requires techniques that one normally wouldn't use to load this way). While more capacity is always nice, a person can still defend themselves with a lower capacity, and before my first FAL, this was my reality as far as my options for self-defense (milsurp bolt-actions) went. A person can still do good work with such a rifle if he knows how to use it, despite the disadvantages that result from it (which are less, in any case, than making a firearm unwieldy).

It must be said that there is nothing natural about wielding a FAL (or many other weapons) with a grip fin. It makes the rifle unwieldy and awkward to use. I can't reach the selector. The magazine catch can be reached, but it is awkward. Holding the weapon in general is awkward, and I can't release my support hand and hold the weapon with my firing hand with the grip fin in place. I've never understood the vehement defense of this practice here, as there isn't anything practical about it. All it is is a way to keep your firearm legal regardless of practicality.

And there is no issue with accessing the magazine catch with the upper and lower unlocked and pivoted open. There is no issue even with my bullet button installed. Do you actually own a FAL?
I have to reply to this since it seems this is the one time being a lefty helps,i have a solar tactical grip wrap and since im a lefty i can still get the selector and i use an INCH style mag release since i can just push it forward with my trigger finger and the mag drops,can also manipulate the bho with little trouble. I need a bit of refresher practice but i can hold my fal against the shoukder drop a mag and reload fine,so featureless does not bother me as much in these terms......now the fact we even need to deal with this f....kin,pos idiotic crap REAAAALLY PISSES ME OFF..

as a side note, glock, DE or shotgun with slugs or BS are my normal home defense choices,not that other options are not close by .....really not sure if they have a gun? A flanged gothic mace to the face as they round a corner works....

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 09-17-2017, 1:38 PM

Bought my CA compliant SA 58 with fixed mag years ago. Top loading it is so easy.
Old 09-17-2017, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledReaper View Post
I have to reply to this since it seems this is the one time being a lefty helps,i have a solar tactical grip wrap and since im a lefty i can still get the selector and i use an INCH style mag release since i can just push it forward with my trigger finger and the mag drops,can also manipulate the bho with little trouble. I need a bit of refresher practice but i can hold my fal against the shoukder drop a mag and reload fine,so featureless does not bother me as much in these terms......now the fact we even need to deal with this f....kin,pos idiotic crap REAAAALLY PISSES ME OFF..

as a side note, glock, DE or shotgun with slugs or BS are my normal home defense choices,not that other options are not close by .....really not sure if they have a gun? A flanged gothic mace to the face as they round a corner works....
It's not as bad left-handed. I assume you are using a Commonwealth or ambidextrous magazine release? Seems like it would still be somewhat of a PITA to change magazines without one. Definitely less than ideal, but workable with the right configuration. If you had to transition to the right shoulder, though, that might change that situation up a bit.
Old 09-17-2017, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gao1976 View Post
Bought my CA compliant SA 58 with fixed mag years ago. Top loading it is so easy.
Are you loading with chargers, or just individual cartridges?
Old 09-18-2017, 5:58 AM

I have one.
Old 09-18-2017, 9:24 PM

Quote:
It's not as bad left-handed. I assume you are using a Commonwealth or ambidextrous magazine release? Seems like it would still be somewhat of a PITA to change magazines without one. Definitely less than ideal, but workable with the right configuration. If you had to transition to the right shoulder, though, that might change that situation up a bit.
Maybe if I had to go RH it would indeed but basically my trigger finger becomes my safety until I deem it not to be. Guess being a lefty all my life and having to deal with less than ideal firearm designs it has become 2nd nature to me.
Regarding mag changes, if I'm holding RH i just use my left hand and either grip the mag and thumb the mag release forward or I just jab the thumb forward,mag rolls out of the rifle...

To me the FAL is the best rifle for me ergonomically,basically parts don't break, simple breakdown,reliable,accurate enough,etc.. It is heavy but it is a main battle rifle in design not an assault rifle like the m16,m4,AK,etc.

Also,basically since you're stuck with 10rd mags unless you are at least 33-34 yrs old....rather have 10 rds of 308 vs 10 rds of 223...

'I have so many good karma points I am approaching Saint Hood'

"They tell you of a laundry detergent that takes out bloodstains- I'm thinking that if you have clothes covered in bloodstains-maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem"

[SIGPIC]http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic27069_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 09-24-2017, 2:12 AM
Veteran Member

Bumping this up with a pic of one of my FALs. Hopefully something comes of the OP's project.

Old 09-24-2017, 5:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have one in the safe.....
CGN CONTRIBUTOR
Old 09-24-2017, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Bumping this up with a pic of one of my FALs. Hopefully something comes of the OP's project.

Real nice RiFAL there - that barrel is looking fit and trim!

Met with my Machinist buddy again last Friday to give him the 2 mag releases I ordered for him - a metric and Israeli pattern - so he can first bang out a working clone and then implement our design.

We also discussed other possible ideas/design mods to address the major flaw with our current design that we realized the last time we met - having to load new mags with the action open = the suck!

We came up with an idea on how to address this, however decided we need to first focus on the mag release/action lock concept and worry about loading mags into closed FAL actions later. Stay tuned.
Old 09-24-2017, 3:09 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shotta HiFi View Post

Met with my Machinist buddy again last Friday to give him the 2 mag releases I ordered for him - a metric and Israeli pattern - so he can first bang out a working clone and then implement our design.

We also discussed other possible ideas/design mods to address the major flaw with our current design that we realized the last time we met - having to load new mags with the action open = the suck!

We came up with an idea on how to address this, however decided we need to first focus on the mag release/action lock concept and worry about loading mags into closed FAL actions later. Stay tuned.
I'm not concerned with changing magazines so much as having a way to fix the magazine without harming the receiver that is compliant with the new laws. For a fixed-mag FAL build, the best way to reload is with chargers, which is why I have a charger guide top cover on both of my builds (including the one pictured above). Practical removal of the magazine, though, does have its uses for cleaning, maintenance, etc., and a system which allows that is much more likely to be of such a nature that it does not require doing anything bad to the receiver and of being able to be undone without too much difficulty when one is in a free state (and I shoot my FAL above out of CA more than I do within CA; the bullet button, of course, some off as soon as I'm able to take it off after crossing the border).
Old 09-26-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I'd advise against being able to insert a magazine with the action closed.

With the action closed and no magazine, you have a SACF featured rifle with no fixed magazine. That's an AW.

Quote:
A real live woman is more expensive than a fleshlight. Which would you rather have?
Old 09-26-2017, 2:17 PM

Hard to say if I would be interested without seeing it. If it's anything like the old DSA design I'm not interested.
Old 09-26-2017, 2:32 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm not familiar with the old DSA design - can you please elaborate or post a picture of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalkid View Post
Hard to say if I would be interested without seeing it. If it's anything like the old DSA design I'm not interested.
Old 09-26-2017, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the old DSA design - can you please elaborate or post a picture of it?
just think "welded in standard mag release"..
Old 09-26-2017, 4:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
I'd advise against being able to insert a magazine with the action closed.

With the action closed and no magazine, you have a SACF featured rifle with no fixed magazine. That's an AW.
Some ideas I've heard from people involve being able to remove a magazine with the action closed, but not until the bolt group and perhaps also the top cover have been removed, which I imagine would satisfy the requirements of the law. A lot depends on the details. I'm really curious how the OP's idea works conceptually.
Old 09-26-2017, 4:07 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
That, and related ideas involving the magazine release, or another method which involves direct attachment to the receiver, are all no-gos for me.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Some ideas I've heard from people involve being able to remove a magazine with the action closed, but not until the bolt group and perhaps also the top cover have been removed, which I imagine would satisfy the requirements of the law. A lot depends on the details. I'm really curious how the OP's idea works conceptually.
Yes, if it requires disassembly of any sort that's fine.

I wouldn't want to get caught with a fully assembled rifle with an ARMagLock with no magazine inserted, though (and that's not even regarding how crappy of a company they are).

Quote:
Old 10-15-2017, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrickel View Post
No, not so humble brag. Just educating the n00bs.
Where can I get a refund on my DrickelCo Fal BB?

Last edited by gimmejr; 10-15-2017 at 6:55 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 9:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladewurk View Post
They weren’t welded in.

My STG58 (LMT RECEIVER) had a small bead welded in the mag release channel inside the receiver - not visible externally.
It limited travel of the mag release lever, worked well, and took 5 minutes with a file to remove.

I would not hesitate one moment to buy another, and if one wants a fixed mag/top loader FAL, I think it one of the very best methods
Personally, a bit of epoxy applied in the same channel would do the trick, and would be less work to either place, or remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Do you have a pix of where to apply the epoxie?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Do you have a pix of where to apply the epoxie?
not handy, and not taking my rifle off to do a pic.

However,

If you take the upper off and remove the bolt ***'y.

Look into the channel where the magazine release lever goes.
On the far end from the pivot of the lever (upper end) the lever falls into a channel.

Drop a dab of 2 part epoxy in there, just enough to limit the lever from being depressed.

Let it harden

replace magazine
Intall mag release

Now mag release lever shows, but cannot be depressed.

Pretty straightforward.

If you use too much epoxy, file to shape.

Good luck, not hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali-Shooter
To me, it was a fist-fight, except that I did not counter-attack.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:36 PM

Great thread

I may have a drickel locked FAL somewhere...

Curious to see what comes in the near future.
Old 10-17-2017, 9:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmejr View Post
Where can I get a refund on my DrickelCo Fal BB?
You probably got it for free anyway. Can I get one of those knives on the frizzle?

It's not illegal to tip for PPT!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:26 PM

Both our FAL's fall into the RAW category, as part of our pre-ban educational collection. It would be nice to see a resurgence in that platform, as 7.62mm battle rifles are such cool old-school stuff.
Old 11-08-2017, 5:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default FAL Compliance Device Update

Just want to give everyone here an update on the progress we are making on our compliance device for the FAL platform. I now have a working 3D printed prototype of my device that functions. Another member here pointed out a legal issue which has proven to be a real bugbear to overcome, but it has been bested and we are now back on track. Next step is to mill a few copies for further testing.

I recommend holding off on making any alteration to your riFALS, or simply settling for the neutered 'featureless' configuration, until we finish our design, complete the beta testing, and are ready to present the device to the masses.

Its pretty slick and easily reversible (only with the action open) should one travel out of state. Stay tuned....
Old 11-08-2017, 8:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good luck with development. I'd definitely post this on the FAL Files.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 11-08-2017, 9:20 PM
Vendor/Retailer

sounds like some good progress is being made.

Below are a few of my Featureless FAL's but I have a couple I'd prefer to keep with the Flash Hider so keep the updates coming

Last edited by munkeeboi; 11-08-2017 at 9:45 PM..
Old 03-28-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Just want to give everyone here an update on the progress we are making on our compliance device for the FAL platform. I now have a working 3D printed prototype of my device that functions. Another member here pointed out a legal issue which has proven to be a real bugbear to overcome, but it has been bested and we are now back on track. Next step is to mill a few copies for further testing.

I recommend holding off on making any alteration to your riFALS, or simply settling for the neutered 'featureless' configuration, until we finish our design, complete the beta testing, and are ready to present the device to the masses.

Its pretty slick and easily reversible (only with the action open) should one travel out of state. Stay tuned....
Any updates?
Old 03-28-2018, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout0861 View Post
Any updates?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1424640
Old 04-21-2018, 11:06 AM

+1 interested here...Looks good.

Last edited by Morgan8er; 04-21-2018 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: I sounded like a dummy. Still do, just a bit less ;-)