Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2013, 8:51 PM

Default Stolen Handgun, inheritance

So my grandfather died, and he had two handguns. We know one of them he stole in the late 1950's at a racetrack, from someone's car (Note: he reformed his life later on, early 70's).

My mother thinks the best course of action is to dispose of both (since we don't know which was stolen, which wasn't...both 1911's. One of them I think is from when he served in WWII). I figure statute of limitations is long gone, and chances of either ever having been registered are slim, slimmer to find the register. I have a cousin who is a cop. Figure he could check, on the off chance that the owner or the owner's family could be identified. Then we would know which was which. And if not, we could sell one and donate the money to charity as a sort of reparation for the fact that it was stolen.

But my mom thought we could get in legal trouble. I cannot see how that would be the case, 60 years after the deed?