Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 01-01-2015, 11:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabellum View Post
I am sorry for this repeat question.

Is there a personal liability insurance requirement? Thank you for your forbearance.
BTW - there is NO liability insurance requirement.
Old 01-02-2015, 6:42 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2bpo View Post
BTW - there is NO liability insurance requirement.
IIRC, Ala SO had to drop that because Sacto passed a law banning that requirement.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2020 at 1:38 PM..
Old 01-09-2015, 3:11 PM

Another update - I recieved a letter from the Sheriff's office today letting me know I can schedule the psych evaluation. The office is in Concord and I will call and make the appointment on Monday. I will let the group know how the testing go. As I currently understand it, there is a standard written multiple choice exam and then oral questions. Some of the questions are like "I enjoy taking the dog for a walk" while others are like "I enjoy thinking about hurting others". There was a thread on the OC CCW thread that I looked at.

The end zone is getting closer!! Just the firearms qualification left.
Hang in there guys and get your applications in.
Old 01-09-2015, 3:22 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suture1 View Post
Another update - I recieved a letter from the Sheriff's office today letting me know I can schedule the psych evaluation. The office is in Concord and I will call and make the appointment on Monday. I will let the group know how the testing go.
Just to be clear...you received approval of your Good Cause before having to do the LTC class and psych exam (and paying the relevant fees), right?
Old 01-09-2015, 7:34 PM

Correct. Look a few pages back for a scan of the letter I received
Old 01-14-2015, 4:52 PM

Finally got thru to the psychologist. Made the appointment for Tuesday the 27th. She does these evaluations as a favor to the county. Her day job is meeting with perspective cops and firemen. Only two slots available to me between now and the end of Feb.

She said to plan on taking a written multiple choice test for 3 hours in the morning (appears to be a bit long of a duration) and then a 45 minute interview afterwards. There will be several others there also taking the test and the first one done is the first to be interviewed and the first to leave. She says to plan on spending most of the day there (Concord) and to bring the $150.
Old 01-14-2015, 8:37 PM

I can not believe that there is such a difficult process to protect your life. This is completely un constitutional. Why are we not protesting this? This is just unbelievable!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:01 PM

We are protesting this. It's all we can do to operate within the letter of the law. I wish that they would process this on a statewide approval process rather than this county by county stuff. It's just absurd. How can one county be a simple application and approval almost overnight, and yet another county take over a year with all this psych testing requirements and such?
Old 01-15-2015, 7:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansokol View Post
I can not believe that there is such a difficult process to protect your life. This is completely un constitutional. Why are we not protesting this? This is just unbelievable!
We are fighting things the best way we can in the PRK in the 2010s: locally in sheriffs' races (we got San Joaquin to switch to vSI last summer, IIRC; and we tipped the race in Merced to Warnke who said he's all for vSI, but we're eagerly awaiting to see him follow through now that he's in office). CGNers are currently pressuring Sheriff Sniff of Riverside Co to go vSI (i.e., SD = GC).

But our biggest guns are being used in the federal courts with civil rights litigation (lawsuits). Unfortunately, when you're pushing an idea that is not popular w/federal appellate justices, they can drag things out for years!

Also unfortunate: Sheriff Ahern is expected to resist to the end. Gura and/or Clement could use another exotic car, so I'm sure they'd be more than happy to indulge the sheriff....

Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2020 at 1:43 PM..
Old 01-17-2015, 4:15 PM

So, are there others making headway on this process? A few people have reached out to me with their individual updates, but not much more than that.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
So, are there others making headway on this process? A few people have reached out to me with their individual updates, but not much more than that.
Nope. I've only had the initial interview from my application that was filed back in Summer, 2014. They sure are dragging their feet on this but your updates are very helpful.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I finally got my denial letter in the mail after many voice mails and emails.

They denied me because I apparently didn't have enough evidence for a good cause for a CCW. Yet, I submitted everything they asked for.

The second reason was that I "withheld important information" during my application and interview process. I was apparently asked if I had any positive or negative confrontations with law enforcement, I answered what I thought to be true but there was apparently a case from when I was 11 y/o where I was "detained" by a cop when someone submitted a false tip to CPS about my parents. I don't recall that one bit and I was treated as if I were lying.

Needless to say. I can't wait until I move to TX this summer.
Old 01-21-2015, 8:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtymaxx12 View Post

They denied me because I apparently didn't have enough evidence for a good cause for a CCW. Yet, I submitted everything they asked for.

The second reason was that I "withheld important information" during my application and interview process. I was apparently asked if I had any positive or negative confrontations with law enforcement, I answered what I thought to be true but there was apparently a case from when I was 11 y/o where I was "detained" by a cop when someone submitted a false tip to CPS about my parents. I don't recall that one bit and I was treated as if I were lying.

There is a thread somewhere here about another calgunner that was made to go the whole nine yards and later got denied. That is the modus operandi of the Sheriff of the privileges.

Good news you will be moving out of this messed up place.Good luck brotha man.
Old 01-21-2015, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

Arrow

Quote:

I answered what I thought to be true but there was apparently a case from when I was 11 y/o where I was "detained" by a cop when someone submitted a false tip to CPS about my parents. I don't recall that one bit and I was treated as if I were lying.

Your juvenile record should be sealed. If it's not, you should go have it sealed.

I'm living in Oregon now, and I got mine just weeks after moving here. It's nice, but when I'm back to work in trucking, it'll suck. I can't wait for Peruta to be finalized (if it ever is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best sale View Post
There is a thread somewhere here about another calgunner that was made to go the whole nine yards and later got denied. That is the modus operandi of the Sheriff of the privileges.
And this modus operandi is an obvious and flagrant abuse of the Sheriff's "exercise of regulatory authority", as mentioned in the Ninth Circuit Court's intervention denial, and is also why I can't wait for Peruta to be finalized.

Erik.

Last edited by Window_Seat; 01-21-2015 at 9:23 AM..
Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Neeless to say. I can't wait until I move to TX this summer.
How far through the process were you?
Old 01-22-2015, 7:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Window_Seat View Post
Your juvenile record should be sealed. If it's not, you should go have it sealed.
I was told at one point that they seal automatically when you hit some age, but "sealed" implies more than the reality. Assume LEOs, judges, etc. can see it.
Old 01-27-2015, 1:07 PM

So I just got done with the psych evaluation in Concord. Got there at 8:50 and didn't leave till almost 1:30pm. You start out in a room with tables and a few other people and take a 12 min written test and then work on three booklets of questions on a few scantron forms. I think the first test had 344 questions and the second had 450+ questions. There is a personality quiz and then a fairly detailed question form on past military and police history, criminal history and drug use history. Keep in mind that these are the same application exams that the new hires for Alameda County fire and police must go thru. Had a quick lunch and then a 35 min interview with the psychologist to clarify some of my responses. I made the remark that this was an over the top screening process and she responded that she was helping out the county and wanting to make sure the crazy ones were not out with guns strapped to their hips (police included).
Old 01-27-2015, 1:08 PM

Quote:
So I just got done with the psych evaluation in Concord. Got there at 8:50 and didn't leave till almost 1:30pm. You start out in a room with tables and a few other people and take a 12 min written test and then work on three booklets of questions on a few scantron forms. I think the first test had 344 questions and the second had 450+ questions. There is a personality quiz and then a fairly detailed question form on past military and police history, criminal history and drug use history. Keep in mind that these are the same application exams that the new hires for Alameda County fire and police must go thru. Had a quick lunch and then a 35 min interview with the psychologist to clarify some of my responses. I made the remark that this was an over the top screening process and she responded that she was helping out the county and wanting to make sure the crazy ones were not out with guns strapped to their hips (police included).
Props to you for going thru all that. CA is ridiculous. Can't wait till I move to TX.
Old 01-27-2015, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2bpo View Post
How far through the process were you?
I had the first in person interview only.
Old 01-27-2015, 1:24 PM

Thanks for the update. Myself and 3 other friends are taking Howard's class tomorrow to begin the process for us.
Old 01-27-2015, 3:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I made the remark that this was an over the top screening process and she responded that she was helping out the county and wanting to make sure the crazy ones were not out with guns strapped to their hips (police included).
Yep, makes PERFECT SENSE given how many "crazy ones" get into shoot outs over fender-benders and parking spaces in the 42 Shall Issue states (not to mention the Con Carry ones where you don't even need permission from the state to Carry) that carry w/o having gone thru a psych eval....

That's just typical anti BS that does not stand up under scrutiny.

Old 01-27-2015, 5:33 PM

The interesting thing is that she had no issue with us civilians carrying - she would prefer the legal process to those who carry illegally or are criminals. BUT, I reminded her that at the end of all this, it is up to Ahern to personally approve the application. A lot of power for one individual.
Guys, I'm going to see this thru to the end. I'm gonna send you all a scan of my CCW permit and have a big smile on my face when hundreds more of us send in those applications and force the county to change its strict policy!!
Keep the pressure on...
Old 01-28-2015, 8:03 AM

Quote:
Guys, I'm going to see this thru to the end. I'm gonna send you all a scan of my CCW permit and have a big smile on my face when hundreds more of us send in those applications and force the county to change its strict policy!!
Keep the pressure on...
fistbump
Old 02-03-2015, 9:07 AM

Default Harrison International Course

I'm signed up to take Howard Ruiz-Harrison's CCW course this coming Sunday, should be interesting. When I had initially caled him to inquire about the course, he had told me that no one that had taken his course had ever been turned down for their CCW (althought he didn't specify if that was true in Alameda County! ). Anyway, I am by no means questioning what he said, but out of mean old curiosity does anyone have any personal anecdotes regarding what he told me?
Old 02-04-2015, 7:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Keep the pressure on...

Ah, to be young & naive again....

The Ahern will only change his/Plummer's policy when the COURTS FORCE him to change it.

fwiw my guess is we'll have some movement in Peruta between Valentine's Day and tax day.

Last edited by Paladin; 07-25-2020 at 1:49 PM..
Old 02-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

My wife and I had a talk about this, and she wants me to apply. I don't have any problems with the process as described in the last six pages in this thread, but it's the amount of time spent. I'm curious about the GC statement, and what they consider justifiable. Any recommendations?

Last edited by bug_eyedmonster; 02-19-2015 at 8:33 AM.. Reason: prudence
Old 02-18-2015, 7:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

BEM, I just sent you a PM.
Old 02-19-2015, 8:33 AM
Bacon Cheeseburger Lover
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
BEM, I just sent you a PM.
Thank you sir.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug_eyedmonster View Post
My wife and I had a talk about this, and she wants me to apply. I don't have any problems with the process as described in the last six pages in this thread, but it's the amount of time spent. I'm curious about the GC statement, and what they consider justifiable. Any recommendations?
I'm not active w/them, but I doubt CGF will be publishing the GC statements again.

They will be releasing their 2014 statewide survey of CCW issuance "soon" , but I think they're awaiting the next step/s in Peruta at this point.

Also, PM sent.
Old 03-07-2015, 7:09 AM

See you tomorrow.... I'm in also!

to your point about "nobody has been denied" after I talked to him and heard the same thing, I read your post and called him back and he qualified it with saying "in alameda co."

who really knows, best we can do is go through the process and hope for the best.

I also called the ACSO permitting dept and spoke to the lady because I had a few questions and was told that if my "good cause" is simply because it's my right, those get denied instantly and not to waste my time. But when I explained my situation she said, ok you should be fine just make sure you submit the supporting documentation with your application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucnick View Post
I'm signed up to take Howard Ruiz-Harrison's CCW course this coming Sunday, should be interesting. When I had initially caled him to inquire about the course, he had told me that no one that had taken his course had ever been turned down for their CCW (althought he didn't specify if that was true in Alameda County! ). Anyway, I am by no means questioning what he said, but out of mean old curiosity does anyone have any personal anecdotes regarding what he told me?
Old 03-07-2015, 7:27 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
See you tomorrow.... I'm in also!

to your point about "nobody has been denied" after I talked to him and heard the same thing, I read your post and called him back and he qualified it with saying "in alameda co."

who really knows, best we can do is go through the process and hope for the best.

I also called the ACSO permitting dept and spoke to the lady because I had a few questions and was told that if my "good cause" is simply because it's my right, those get denied instantly and not to waste my time. But when I explained my situation she said, ok you should be fine just make sure you submit the supporting documentation with your application.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucnick View Post
Once you've both gone thru the whole application process w/ACSO, please let us know what it was like, give us an idea of what your GC was (but not so detailed as to ID you), and whether you got issued.

Wish you guys the best!
Old 03-11-2015, 5:57 PM

Just wanted to update the group that I have no update. Still waiting on the psych evaluation results from the ACSO. Going on almost two months...
Old 03-12-2015, 8:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So glad they have made your personal safety a priority! I sure hope it works out for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 4:41 PM

Default Alameda County - CCW Renewal Discontinuance

Just received this in the mail after having a concealed weapons permit for over 5 years.

"This is to acknowledge that our office received your Concealed Carry Weapon Justification Letter conveying that you no longer have the the "good cause" requirement that we oblige from all initial and review applicants alike. Hence, we have doscontinued your renewal process."

Then goes on to say I can re-apply if the decision to issue CCW on mere self-defense is finalized.

I thought they couldn't reject it for "good cause" alone? Any ideas on how I should proceed?

Thanks,
Shayster
Old 03-19-2015, 5:44 PM

Another update - Finally got another letter today that says I can can proceed with the firearms qualification at the County range! I will scan everything tomorrow at work.

Almost there..
Old 03-20-2015, 6:17 AM

Default Scan of ACSO Documents

Guys,

Here is what I received in the mail yesterday. The qualification was the item I was wondering about. It does not look too bad, provided one has been practicing with his/her CCW carry gun.

I will schedule the course and report back to the group how it goes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCW Update 3-16-15.pdf (273.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Guys,

Here is what I received in the mail yesterday. The qualification was the item I was wondering about. It does not look too bad, provided one has been practicing with his/her CCW carry gun.

I will schedule the course and report back to the group how it goes.
Well done! glad to hear it's moving forward. I just submitted my application and all supporting documents this afternoon. Was told by Judy that "it's going to take a year" and mentioned that I know of others that are still in the process and will be setting up the range qual, her response to that was "if you call today to get your rang date, it won't be until July" Wow this drags out... but I've got nothing but time.

Last edited by LandLord; 03-20-2015 at 2:06 PM..
Old 03-20-2015, 3:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
Well done! glad to hear it's moving forward. I just submitted my application and all supporting documents this afternoon. Was told by Judy that "it's going to take a year" and mentioned that I know of others that are still in the process and will be setting up the range qual, her response to that was "if you call today to get your rang date, it won't be until July" Wow this drags out... but I've got nothing but time.
I love it: it takes over 1 year to get a permit that is good for only 2 years....
Old 03-23-2015, 8:37 AM

Judy just called and scheduled me for July 16th to qualify at the Alameda County range in Dublin. No earlier dates available (not sure why). I asked her what is the timeframe to obtain the CCW permit after the qualification - she said it would be a few weeks after that.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:36 PM

They will blow smoke in your ear, but the fact is that there are only slightly more than 100 personal CCW's issued in all of Alameda County, versus 1.5 million population. Unless you have an extreme situation, your chances of obtaining one is pretty bleak. Not ethical, especially considering Peruta, but not much you can do about it. I moved over the hill to Tracy 17 miles away, and expect my CCW approval shortly.