Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 07-18-2018, 5:20 PM

Just received 2 emails saying that they received and will begin processing my submission for 2 volreg`s I submitted on May 5th. Both were rifles.

Crossing my fingers I receive a letter soon.
Old 07-18-2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm-bill View Post
Just received 2 emails saying that they received and will begin processing my submission for 2 volreg`s I submitted on May 5th. Both were rifles.

Crossing my fingers I receive a letter soon.
You should get your letter in a week and 1-2 days from that email.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2018, 5:48 PM
FREELOADER
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroman03 View Post
You should get your letter in a week and 1-2 days from that email.
I wish mine came that quick!
E-mail came June 29, just got the first confirmation today.
Old 07-18-2018, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatC415 View Post
I wish mine came that quick!
E-mail came June 29, just got the first confirmation today.
Oh wow. It seems that the time frame has extended a bit. Regardless, it seems like the advise given to me, that receiving the email is a sign that ones app has been approved, is holding true. Another positive is that VolRegs submitted prior to 7/01/18 are still being processed.

Old 07-19-2018, 4:32 PM

Did anyone else have their information lost in the CFARS system? I tried to log in to view if any progress with my registration. User info "doesn't match any records". When I click on "forgot user name and password" I enter my name and email, and it still shows that no records match. I'm pretty sure my name hasn't changed, nor the email, as I have the receipt for $19 from DOJ to that email. WTH?
Old 07-19-2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDShawn View Post
Did anyone else have their information lost in the CFARS system? I tried to log in to view if any progress with my registration. User info "doesn't match any records". When I click on "forgot user name and password" I enter my name and email, and it still shows that no records match. I'm pretty sure my name hasn't changed, nor the email, as I have the receipt for $19 from DOJ to that email. WTH?
Happened to me when I wanted to check my progress on apps. Said no records found and I put in security questions and said those were wrong. Emailed DOJ twice and still nothing
Old 07-19-2018, 6:57 PM

I just logged in for S&Gs, worked fine for me. Have you tried any different browsers, cleared your browser history, so on and so forth?

Last edited by zeroman03; 07-19-2018 at 7:01 PM..
Old 08-06-2018, 9:43 PM

My password didn't work, answered my security questions, tried to log in, no account found.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2018, 4:38 AM

Just got my 2 letters for two rifles. I started May 5th. What a relief.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Received my approval for 2 rifles, started the process on Memorial day.
Old 08-24-2018, 3:30 AM

Got my P80 approved. VolReg on 5/20/18, got email Submission Confirmation Notice email on 8/8,18, letter dated 8/9/18 and got the letter in the mail on 8/18/18.
Old 08-24-2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aasillak View Post
Got my P80 approved. VolReg on 5/20/18, got email Submission Confirmation Notice email on 8/8,18, letter dated 8/9/18 and got the letter in the mail on 8/18/18.
Congrats. Did you register specifying the caliber and did you upload pics? In another thread a few people are getting denied because they specified interchangeable barrels.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnEnvy View Post
Congrats. Did you register specifying the caliber and did you upload pics? In another thread a few people are getting denied because they specified interchangeable barrels.

Thanks!

Full pistol (not a frame only)
9mm
No pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2018, 7:32 PM

Default DOJ Releases AB-857 Ghost Gun Regs

no pictures needed for volreg.
sent in March. sent email after 5 month delay, got a call back and it moved, got email 8/8, and letter in 10 days
interchangeable barrels, multical. came as
caliber 8888

Old 08-24-2018, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorts View Post
no pictures needed for volreg.
sent in March. sent email after 5 month delay, got a call back and it moved, got email 8/8, and letter in 10 days
interchangeable barrels, multical. came as
caliber 8888

Yes that's how I understand it too. Another thread regarding 80% volreg have some people getting rejected and doj asking for pictures.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM

Default SSE pistol question

hoping someone can answer this. If a SSE pistol was completely built and assembled (no aw features), and now, if the firearm is currently disassembled must the receiver be serialized per AB 257; or must it be fully assembled prior to registration?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:32 AM

So if you have 1911s that we’re built few years ago, and they have all right info engraved and right specification, all person will have to do is Volunteer registration with no pictures ? Or you have upload pictures like aw Process?
Old 09-11-2018, 11:37 AM

no pictures, unless DOJ asks for them.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:43 AM

but what if the pistol frames are not yet engraved? do they require engraving AND photos? or no registration cuz just a finished receiver?....
Old 09-12-2018, 4:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arellaj9 View Post
So if you have 1911s that we’re built few years ago, and they have all right info engraved and right specification, all person will have to do is Volunteer registration with no pictures ? Or you have upload pictures like aw Process?
You had to VolReg by 6/30/2018 to use your own serial number.

Now, as in after 7/1/2018, you must apply for a CA DOJ issued serial number, have it engraved, and submit proof in the form of photos that the engraving is complete within a short time frame (10 days?, I haven't kept up with that part) of the serial number being issued.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:35 AM

wow, they want a picture of the frame? lame. well ok
Old 09-12-2018, 9:03 AM

They want proof you engraved their number on it.
Old 09-17-2018, 8:25 PM

I VolReg'd back in June and still haven't received anything lol .
Old 09-17-2018, 8:31 PM
Low-Functioning Genius
CGN Contributor

2 in July and a bunch in March, waiting for months with no word, absolutely no responses to multiple "report and issue" attempts. Still sifting through mail to make sure nothing got by me, but nothing on email at all. Just the original receipt of payment for the transactions.

At this point, come Jan 1st, what do we do? We attempted to register and got nothing, so now the only process is to go through the AB857 process. Do we start that process now not knowing the status of the volreg process? What happens when we have the firearm marked according to AB857 and then get a letter that it has been approved with our own serial number?

This is a crisis, and it's going to get ugly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMACA_MFG View Post
Not checkers, not chess, its Jenga.
"The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

Last edited by Discogodfather; 09-17-2018 at 8:34 PM..
Old 09-18-2018, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discogodfather View Post
2 in July and a bunch in March, waiting for months with no word, absolutely no responses to multiple "report and issue" attempts. Still sifting through mail to make sure nothing got by me, but nothing on email at all. Just the original receipt of payment for the transactions.

At this point, come Jan 1st, what do we do? We attempted to register and got nothing, so now the only process is to go through the AB857 process. Do we start that process now not knowing the status of the volreg process? What happens when we have the firearm marked according to AB857 and then get a letter that it has been approved with our own serial number?

This is a crisis, and it's going to get ugly.
Have you contacted CRPA/M&A about this?
Old 09-18-2018, 9:27 AM
Calguns Addict

For those asking, there was nothing in the law or regulations that required pictures be submitted with the volreg, nor does the submission have to be a complete firearm. If you had just the bare receiver they had the option to choose that on the application form. However, the jackasses at the DOJ who reviews the submissions seem to be all over the place in determining if your application is valid and are vague in what is wrong or how that can be resolved. Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I believe this is intentional and they are acting in bad faith.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 09-19-2018, 8:18 AM

The government doesn't 'act in bad faith' for these types of functions. Perhaps higher up the food chain, but not clerks. It's much more likely to be simple incompetence, or lack of documentation as to what they're actually doing, or a change in policy or process moving forward.

These are new regs, and it was so poorly rolled out, that it's highly likely that they simply don't know what to do. As pointed out, photos were not required for vol-reg, it was simply a way to get self-assigned serial numbers on unregistered firearms into the central database per the new statute. It wasn't supposed to be any more complicated than that. IMO it got confused with the registration of assault weapons, and them trying to determine what complies and what doesn't, and the requirement that new builds or unregistered weapons get a DOJ assigned number.

And now, since the windows has closed for vol-reg with self-assigned numbers, my bet is the department is going to require all unregistered firearms to obtain a DOJ serial and register them that way.

But I could be completely wrong. LOL. Has happened before. YMMV
Old 09-19-2018, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browneye View Post
The government doesn't 'act in bad faith' for these types of functions. Perhaps higher up the food chain, but not clerks. It's much more likely to be simple incompetence, or lack of documentation as to what they're actually doing, or a change in policy or process moving forward.

These are new regs, and it was so poorly rolled out, that it's highly likely that they simply don't know what to do. As pointed out, photos were not required for vol-reg, it was simply a way to get self-assigned serial numbers on unregistered firearms into the central database per the new statute. It wasn't supposed to be any more complicated than that. IMO it got confused with the registration of assault weapons, and them trying to determine what complies and what doesn't, and the requirement that new builds or unregistered weapons get a DOJ assigned number.

And now, since the windows has closed for vol-reg with self-assigned numbers, my bet is the department is going to require all unregistered firearms to obtain a DOJ serial and register them that way.

But I could be completely wrong. LOL. Has happened before. YMMV
And this was the exact reason I chose the paper form and mailing for the Vol Reg I did on 3 bare frames. Anytime the government does something new like this, it ALWAYS gets jacked up. Always and I need point no farther than the CFARS and BBRAW registrations.

I sent an envelope with the form, a check, my mil ID (for the FSC exemption) and a pic of my ID card. Had my own serial numbers engraved per the legal standard. Sent on 04JUN18. Got letters noting ownership with personal serials on 18JUL18 and cal/0. Just to be clear, I annotated in all caps in multiple places that it was a "FRAME ONLY" or "RECEIVER ONLY", so they could NOT mistake it. No photos, no confusing website, etc. Modernists really need to look to the old systems. They've been around for along time and they work.

Yeah...I know...have to be featureless builds, etc, but 3000fps is still 3000fps and if the unicorns ever come home and this stuff were repealed or invalidated, I can build the rifle any way that's legal at the time. I'm not locked to featureless or AW configuration. If small animals everywhere rose up against mankind, then how hard is it to replace parts back to the original?

What really has me scratching my head is this: for those that bought a BBAW rifle the answer seemed so simple: buy and DROS a 100% bare receiver (or mill your own and VolReg it). Have all of the old parts removed from the old receiver and placed on the new receiver and just use a ARMaglock, KaliKey, etc...whatever was legal. Use a sawzall and cut the old receiver into three pieces, keep them (with pix of the pieces) in a box in the garage and file an NLIP (destroyed) via SNAIL MAIL with a Return Receipt. All the state has on file is a bare receiver so as long as you have the appropriate legal parts, you're good. As the law changes, you reconfigure to legit. No questions, no issues, no pix, no website, no stormtroopers.

I feel bad for the first victims of this techno-terrorism...someone had to be the guinea pig, but when many of us were seeing all of the intricacies, issues and inadvertent "crimes" that were committed, the process I mentioned should have come up in someone's mind somewhere.

The alternative, at least to me, was worse: You take a pic for DOJ and the Mcdingleberry Smasher was purple instead of green, now you're a felon. Or Barney Fife takes a look, runs the serial and the Mechanical Flux Capacitor was version 1 instead of version 3, now you're a felon because you have a "modified assault rifle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Don't attempt to inject common sense into an internet pissing contest.

Last edited by Supersapper; 09-19-2018 at 9:43 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 9:18 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

Good to know that it is possible for a P80! (in theory)
Old 11-04-2018, 6:16 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9M62 View Post
I VolReg'd back in June and still haven't received anything lol .
Same here, - no word yet
I'm expecting something soon...
Old 11-04-2018, 6:17 AM

I just got the mailed paperwork saying my gun was accepted.
Ar pistol build is “legal” now by paperwork I received.

Old 11-04-2018, 7:35 PM

Congrats was it approved without getting kicked back and did you specify the caliber? Thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805local View Post
I just got the mailed paperwork saying my gun was accepted.
Ar pistol build is “legal” now by paperwork I received.

Old 11-07-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Congrats was it approved without getting kicked back and did you specify the caliber? Thx

No kick back at all. And I did put MULTI caliber.

Old 11-07-2018, 1:05 PM

So here is my update- I volreg'd a lower that I completed from an 80% towards the end of June. I engraved my own serial number on the gun, and registered it as "receiver only".

Today they responded saying that the application was "incomplete". They are asking for verification that this is a receiver only (saying that if it has been fully assembled it is not "receiver only"), and they are asking for the pictures of both sides of the firearm including serial # and mag release.

This is a featureless lower, btw (Thordsen stock). The fact that they are asking for a picture of the mag release worries me. I completed the lower early this year, always with the intention of making it featurless. Seems like they are poking at if I illegally aquired an AW after 2016.
Old 11-07-2018, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805local View Post
No kick back at all. And I did put MULTI caliber.

Btw this is for a CA compliant AR pistol. NOT AW.

Old 12-05-2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezedawg View Post
So here is my update- I volreg'd a lower that I completed from an 80% towards the end of June. I engraved my own serial number on the gun, and registered it as "receiver only".

Today they responded saying that the application was "incomplete". They are asking for verification that this is a receiver only (saying that if it has been fully assembled it is not "receiver only"), and they are asking for the pictures of both sides of the firearm including serial # and mag release.

This is a featureless lower, btw (Thordsen stock). The fact that they are asking for a picture of the mag release worries me. I completed the lower early this year, always with the intention of making it featurless. Seems like they are poking at if I illegally aquired an AW after 2016.
All mine were kick backed today and did 'receiver only' or 'frame only' for a 1911. I'm wondering if I'll just reply to all of them that the rifle built is a featureless rifle and not an assault weapon and pictures are not required per the law.

What about stripped lowers though? Lowers that were milled from an 80%, serialized and reg'd by July 1st but not built?
Old 12-05-2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychbiker View Post
All mine were kick backed today and did 'receiver only' or 'frame only' for a 1911. I'm wondering if I'll just reply to all of them that the rifle built is a featureless rifle and not an assault weapon and pictures are not required per the law.

What about stripped lowers though? Lowers that were milled from an 80%, serialized and reg'd by July 1st but not built?
I got the email today as well asking me to 'verify receiver only'. I resubmitted the form with the same info which I see as my 'verification'. Why are they now asking for verification 5 months after the fact?
Old 12-06-2018, 3:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

update:
I received email on the 15th of Nov, and my approval letter was in my mailbox 11-19. Thank you calguns
Old 12-06-2018, 5:33 PM

What is the website to serialize 80% lowers? Can I still register an 80% ar pistol? I thought it was until December 31st as long as they give me a serial number?

Last edited by dancinzen; 12-06-2018 at 5:44 PM..
Old 12-08-2018, 2:51 PM

Mine got kicked back asking for pictures. I suppose it happened since I tried to register them as complete rifles.

Question: Since they took about 6 months to respond to me, I've since sold off much of the parts including the uppers. If I changed my submission to just being lowers and submitted pictures does anyone know if that would cause an outright rejection or other issues?
I was under the impression that this was a complete black hole and they would never respond or just reject my submission altogether.

Last edited by boomboomroom; 12-08-2018 at 2:56 PM..