Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksb751 View Post
When taking pic of the gun should you have the magazine in the gun or out
It does not need to have a magazine in it, so my recommendation is to not have a magazine in it. Generally speaking, don't include anything in the photos besides the barebones firearm. The only exceptions I can think of are difficult-to-remove accessories (zeroed optics, muzzle devices, etc), and a tape measure if it's a bullpup where overall length might come into question.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:43 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

That said, there shouldn't be any issues if it has a magazine in it, especially if it's a native 10rd type. But blocked 10/20 or 10/30 magazines look an awful lot like actual 20/30rd magazines in photos, so best to not include those, to avoid raising any flags.

The ultimate goal with your registrations should be to be "the gray man".

Make your applications as boring as possible.

Old 04-15-2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
That said, there shouldn't be any issues if it has a magazine in it, especially if it's a native 10rd type. But blocked 10/20 or 10/30 magazines look an awful lot like actual 20/30rd magazines in photos, so best to not include those, to avoid raising any flags.

The ultimate goal with your registrations should be to be "the gray man".

Make your applications as boring as possible.
I actually had 10/20 or 10/30s in all 18 of my submissions. I notated in the comments that they were permantly blocked to 10 rounds and I had no issues. Got my confirmation letter in the mail on Thursday.
Old 04-15-2018, 5:20 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbully View Post
I actually had 10/20 or 10/30s in all 18 of my submissions. I notated in the comments that they were permantly blocked to 10 rounds and I had no issues. Got my confirmation letter in the mail on Thursday.
That's good they didn't worry about it, but it's still a better idea to avoid the issue entirely by leaving out the mags - they aren't required for the pictures.

Old 04-15-2018, 7:35 PM
Calguns Addict

ok; does anyone think I will have problems with an adjustable cheek rest? I cannot have a telescoping stock in my config. The shoulder / butt pad is fixed. Only the cheek rest can rise.
Old 04-15-2018, 8:00 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl0re10 View Post
ok; does anyone think I will have problems with an adjustable cheek rest? I cannot have a telescoping stock in my config. The shoulder / butt pad is fixed. Only the cheek rest can rise.
No problem, doesn't meet the definition of a telescoping stock, so just leave that box unchecked.

Old 04-15-2018, 8:49 PM

I'm not sure what to make of this... got my letter in the mail today, but the Tavor SAR and Galil Ace SAR rifles that I submitted with manufacturer IWI both have manufacturer as IMI on the letter. Anyone else get the same thing when submitting as Isreali Weapons Ind.?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plead the Second View Post
Several weeks ago as husband and wife we submitted separate registration applications with four pictures for each relevant rifle listing each other as coregistrants, and more applications listing each other’s rifles, so we did one each for primary and one each for co, one fee for each, thinking that would keep things clean and simple.All were kicked back almost immediately requesting pictures showing caliber and and then again for arguments we had to put 5.56 as cal rather than multi because that is what the stamps say. All were fixed with corrections to specifications the bureaucrats requested.”

To date, we have received only one white envelope registration letter, last week, all the others (both primary and secondary) are pending with no clue as to why there are delays though everything went through close to the same time. Apparently following the 90 day rule no one will talk to us until early June when I will be out of the country.
Random vent: Both of us have cancer we are battling on top of this so this is just so much unnecessary extra stress and if anyone sane took one look at us and our histories they would know we are not the next school shooters
UPDATE:

Finally we each got our letters listing rifles on which we are primary and coregistrants. We each took pictures of both letters to have on our phones just in case a new-age trained nervous cop has a problem with what we have in the locked trunk despite our innocuous appearances, and put the originals into a safe. Hopefully that is all we will need until the confiscation round-up is announced, for the children of course, leaving the older and weaker and arthritic disadvantaged.
Sigh. It is times like this I am glad we have no kids.

Best of luck to the remainder of you guys who are still struggling with registration.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." (Thomas Jefferson)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 PM

Just sent in my registration for my only two BB'd rifles. Since these were already bought post 2014, the DOJ already bent me backwards so might as well let them get on with it. Jesus, I only hope I can register within the time frame. I don't want to end up having to turn them into the Police.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:14 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter556 View Post
Just sent in my registration for my only two BB'd rifles. Since these were already bought post 2014, the DOJ already bent me backwards so might as well let them get on with it. Jesus, I only hope I can register within the time frame. I don't want to end up having to turn them into the Police.
Turn them in to the police?

I think these new laws have you unnecessarily scared. The laws suck, but nobody is going to make you turn anything in.

Firstly, you sent in your registration 2.5 months before the deadline, so you're fine. By all indications, DOJ will process all apps they receive before the deadline. As long as you watch your email inbox to make sure you address within 30 days any clarifications they request, they shouldn't cancel your application even if the deadline lapses before they complete the process on their end.

Secondly, worst case scenario, if for some reason your rifles don't get registered, there are countless other options available besides turning them in to the police. A simple conversion to a fixed magazine or featureless rifle would suffice.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 8:33 AM

Quote:
I submitted my app 3 weeks ago, got a reply 3 hours later that looked the same as yours, except they didn't ask me if it was for BBRAW (I made it pretty clear in my email message that it was, but so did you, so apparently they only sometimes read it).

No further response as of yet... some people have reported ~2 month wait times for serials.

I wrote "exempt" for the part that asks for an FSC number, so I'm curious to see what happens with that.

Via email I asked if a CCW number should be used in the FSC cell. They told me to leave it blank.

“If applicable, provide either the Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) Number or the Firearm Safety Certificate (FSC) Number. If you do not have those numbers, it is not necessary to list anything. You may reference the instructions document attached to this email.

Regards,
DOJ SERIAL NUMBER
Bureau of Firearms – AWR
Division of Law Enforcement”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 9:59 AM

UPDATE: as per USPS Informed Delivery, I should be receiving my letter today 4/16. The letter is dated 4/12/18. Exactly 12 weeks since registering. 20 weeks since requesting a serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-16-2018, 10:09 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidfreshdope View Post
UPDATE: as per USPS Informed Delivery, I should be receiving my letter today 4/16. The letter is dated 4/12/18. Exactly 12 weeks since registering. 20 weeks since requesting a serial number.

3 months, wow... any idea why it took so long? Did it involve a bunch of back-and-forth with DOJ requesting more info and clarification, or did it take 3 months for no apparent reason?

The 2 month wait for the serials seems pretty typical.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
3 months, wow... any idea why it took so long? Did it involve a bunch of back-and-forth with DOJ requesting more info and clarification, or did it take 3 months for no apparent reason?

The 2 month wait for the serials seems pretty typical.

The only back and forth I had was for my 80% with FMBUS serial they wanted me to add “MAKE: First Name Last Name” into the comments.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
The only back and forth I had was for my 80% with FMBUS serial they wanted me to add “MAKE: First Name Last Name” into the comments.
Crazy that it took so long then. The wait times seem very random - their process is most definitely not "first come, first served" as they have claimed it to be. 3 months is I think the longest wait I've heard of so far. Some other recent applicants got theirs as fast as 3 weeks, even including some clarification requests. It seems to me that the staff are presented with a list of pending applications, and they just cherrypick which ones they feel like doing when.

On that note...

It's possible (with 10 weeks left now) that we've passed the point where most people who submit apps that include anything besides vanilla AR's will get their letters before the deadline.

Which is why I'll reiterate my suggestions, for any lurkers reading this who are still procrastinating:
  1. If you need DOJ serials for any 80% builds, request them NOW. Ideally, you should have requested them a month or longer ago. Do not delay on this any further, you may not get them until after June 30th!
  2. While you wait for those, register your other firearms so you can be sure at least those get in before the deadline:
    • If you have any "vanilla" AR's that are easy/simple for DOJ to process, lump those (and only those) together into one app, and submit it now (for a $15 fee).
    • If you have anything besides "vanilla" AR's, lump those together on a separate app (for an additional $15 fee), and also submit that now. Being in a separate app will allow your "vanilla" AR's to be processed without delay, while DOJ figures out how to process these more "complicated" applications.
  3. When you get your DOJ serials (if you needed/requested any), engrave the numbers ASAP and then submit yet another, additional application for those (for yet another $15 fee.)

Yes, it sucks paying the extortion fee 2 or 3 times instead of just once... consider that the cost of putting it off for too long. To me, it's worth the additional fees to ensure that at least some of the firearms I intend to register get done before the deadline.

I'm sure there are still people out there who haven't yet requested serial number that they need for 80% builds, and are thinking about waiting until they get those before registering all of their firearms together. That would be a very, very risky plan, in my opinion.

If you're waiting to see the outcome of the pending court cases involving Assault Weapons - don't. It's highly unlikely that we'll see any action with those before the deadline.

A final note:

After you submit an application, check your email inbox and spam folder regularly - DOJ will email you if they need any further info or clarification from you, and they will NOT process your app until you reply, they will NOT send you the email twice, and they WILL cancel your app entirely if you do not respond within 30 days.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Made my submissions about a month ago. I got confirmation email for 1 of the submissions and incompletes for the rest. The only issues for the incompletes are that my manufacturer needs to be changed. However, my manufacturer is not listed on the drop down tab.

And my emails went into my spam folder. Fortunately I have been checking both regularly. It took them about a month to send these emails to me.
Gun transfers 10am-5pm 7 days a week!
We are an NFA firearms dealer!

Follow us on Facebook @acesjewelryandloan Need Cash Fast? Get a loan on your firearms here!
Tons of new handguns! New Aero Receivers in stock soon!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:42 AM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Also a few additional notes to reiterate things we've learned in the last couple weeks:
  1. If you have an AR or AK pistol, always check BOTH boxes for "second handgrip" and "barrel shroud". If you only select one, they will kick back your app.
  2. If you have a Magpul PRS or other buttstock with an adjustable buttpad, DOJ considers this a telescoping stock, so check that box.
  3. If you have a bullpup, include a tape measure in your photo to show that the OAL is 30" or longer.
  4. Use the Comments box! If an aspect of your firearm may be confused for something else, make a note about it. For example, "muzzle device is a muzzle brake, not a flash hider," or "stock is pinned so as to be non-folding." The comments box should never be blank - at a minimum, you should write that the firearm "May use any length barrel 16 inches or longer" or "less than 16 inches" (for a rifle or a pistol, respectively).
  5. If your receiver caliber stamp says "multi" or more than 1 caliber, then your caliber is "Firearm has interchangeable barrels". If your receiver caliber stamp says 1 specific caliber, then that is your caliber, regardless of what the barrel is chambered for. If your receiver has no caliber stamp at all, then your caliber is whatever is stamped on your barrel, and you must include a photo of that stamp as an "Optional extra image."
  6. If your firearm was a home build (80%), or if your manufacturer isn't listed, select "U S" as the manufacturer, and put your name or the manufacturer in the comments, in this format - "MAKE: First Last" or "MAKE: Company Name"
  7. If your firearm was assembled at home, using a serialized receiver that you bought through an FFL, it's NOT a "home build" for the purposes of AW registration.
  8. Your application status will perpetually say "In process", whether it really is or isn't. Don't worry about that. DOJ will email you whenever something changes, so regularly check your inbox and spam folders.
  9. If you need to correct a mistake on an app, or if 90 days has passed and you still haven't received an approval yet, use the "Report an Issue" link in the CFARS website.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 11:53 AM..
Old 04-16-2018, 12:31 PM

So is it safe to assume that once we get our submission confirmations then we won’t hear anything until we get our registration letters in the mail?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:33 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBot12 View Post
So is it safe to assume that once we get our submission confirmations then we won’t hear anything until we get our registration letters in the mail?
Pretty safe to assume - but of course nothing is ever a guarantee with CA DOJ. They never really send an outright "your app was approved" email, they just give us the vague "we'll inform you of the results by US mail" email. But since the only results that get sent by US mail are "approvals" (as per the regulations), it appears to be their beating-around-the-bush way of saying your firearm was approved.

If any other firearms on your app didn't get the same email, though, they will wait to send your letter until they have all been approved.

For example, I got that email for all but 1 of the firearms in my app. So I probably won't get my letter until whenever they approve the last one. I also plan to submit another batch of firearms again soon, but that batch won't delay my getting an approval letter for the first batch.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 12:41 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 1:19 PM

I read the other thread with rejections and one of them was a rifle that was done through a PPT. The person put it as acquired from an FFL and the DOJ kicked it back saying it was a PPT and wanted the sellers information.

I listed the FFL since my original DROS does not have the sellers information on it. Damn, I hope it doesn't get kicked back. But what I am wondering is if you select this field, wouldn't it be as if you are saying you bought the weapon without an FFL? Because when you select the "private party" option, it does not have a field for the FFLs information.
Old 04-16-2018, 2:02 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
I read the other thread with rejections and one of them was a rifle that was done through a PPT. The person put it as acquired from an FFL and the DOJ kicked it back saying it was a PPT and wanted the sellers information.

I listed the FFL since my original DROS does not have the sellers information on it. Damn, I hope it doesn't get kicked back. But what I am wondering is if you select this field, wouldn't it be as if you are saying you bought the weapon without an FFL? Because when you select the "private party" option, it does not have a field for the FFLs information.
Weird. That's the only kickback I've heard of someone getting for that reason. I wonder if it was just a fluke? Surely he can't be the only person registering who bought their firearm PPT, but thus far nobody else has mentioned getting a kickback for that. Hopefully you're ok - if they do kick it back please let me know

Old 04-16-2018, 2:04 PM

Quote:

I hope that is a fluke as well!! I put my PPTs as obtained through an FFL, the DROS will show that it was a PPT and the DOJ will have the sellers info
Old 04-16-2018, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
I hope that is a fluke as well!! I put my PPTs as obtained through an FFL, the DROS will show that it was a PPT and the DOJ will have the sellers info
Yea, on my DROS form it says PPT but it does not have the sellers information. I called the FFL I did the PPT and they said they'll give me the information if the DOJ requests it.
Old 04-16-2018, 3:29 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Yea, on my DROS form it says PPT but it does not have the sellers information. I called the FFL I did the PPT and they said they'll give me the information if the DOJ requests it.
Jeeze, what a cluster...

Keep us posted, if I need to revise the guide where it recommends to use the FFL info for PPT acquisitions, it would be good to revise it asap before the flood of last-minute people start registering. I don't want to change it based on the one person's experience, but if multiple people run into the same issue then I'll need to revise it. Thanks

Old 04-16-2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Odd, all of mine show the seller - had to request them for the dates for the registration.

Good luck
Old 04-16-2018, 3:53 PM

Has anyone who owns an AR pistol, and who acquired it as a single shot exemption but converted it to semi auto afterward, registered one? If so did you have any issues or was it smooth? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2018, 3:56 PM

Default SIG 716 - continued

So the saga continues, as expected really and I for better or worse decided to play with the system just to see what happens.

A week or so after submitting the photos of the barrel showing the caliber stamp since the lower is not marked as "multi-caliber" I just got the kick back as incomplete and a request to update my application to reflect the caliber on the barrel. I opted to instead ask why and explain that a barrel or an upper are not defined as a firearm and that the lower, the actual firearm is multi caliber therefore submitting an application for the 716 as a .308 would be incorrect.

I have zero doubt this will get kicked back but I am curious to see their explanation. It is fairly meaningless but on the off chance some day in the future someone looks at my Sig and my paperwork and wants to make a case that it is not legal with a different upper it could be problematical.
Old 04-16-2018, 4:01 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockoutwithyerglockout View Post
Has anyone who owns an AR pistol, and who acquired it as a single shot exemption but converted it to semi auto afterward, registered one? If so did you have any issues or was it smooth? Thanks.
I have not yet (but will soon). But many people have reported that theirs went through just fine. Just pay attention to the pistol-specific points in the Registration Guide and you'll be fine. I recommend noting that it was "built as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol, later converted to semi-automatic" in the Comments section, but people have also left that out and it still went through just fine.

I have not yet heard of anyone running into major issues with pistol registrations. Mostly just hickups involving the "features" they selected - be sure to check both "second handgrip" and "barrel shroud", otherwise they'll kick the application back to you and make you check both. It's recommended that you remove any brace (if it has one) for the photos, to avoid confusing whoever processes your app.

Also, make sure it:
-has a bullet button
-isn't built on a receiver that was ever DROS'd as a rifle receiver
-doesn't have a forward pistol grip (unless it's an NFA registered AOW. If you don't know what that means, then it definitely isn't one.)
-has a DOJ-issued serial number engraved on it, unless it has a factory serial number and was DROS'd as a pistol.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 4:07 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
I have not yet (but will soon). But many people have reported that theirs went through just fine. Just pay attention to the pistol-specific points in the Registration Guide and you'll be fine. I recommend noting that it was "built as a dimensionally-compliant single-shot pistol, later converted to semi-automatic" in the Comments section, but people have also left that out and it still went through just fine.

I have not yet heard of anyone running into major issues with pistol registrations. Mostly just hickups involving the "features" they selected - be sure to check both "second handgrip" and "barrel shroud", otherwise they'll kick the application back to you and make you check both. It's recommended that you remove any brace (if it has one) for the photos, to avoid confusing whoever processes your app.

Also, make sure it:
-has a bullet button
-isn't built on a receiver that was ever DROS'd as a rifle receiver
-doesn't have a forward pistol grip (unless it's an NFA registered AOW. If you don't know what that means, then it definitely isn't one.)
-has a DOJ-issued serial number engraved on it, unless it has a factory serial number and was DROS'd as a pistol.
Good to hear. Thanks for the detailed info!
Old 04-16-2018, 4:15 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonp View Post
So the saga continues, as expected really and I for better or worse decided to play with the system just to see what happens.

A week or so after submitting the photos of the barrel showing the caliber stamp since the lower is not marked as "multi-caliber" I just got the kick back as incomplete and a request to update my application to reflect the caliber on the barrel. I opted to instead ask why and explain that a barrel or an upper are not defined as a firearm and that the lower, the actual firearm is multi caliber therefore submitting an application for the 716 as a .308 would be incorrect.

I have zero doubt this will get kicked back but I am curious to see their explanation. It is fairly meaningless but on the off chance some day in the future someone looks at my Sig and my paperwork and wants to make a case that it is not legal with a different upper it could be problematical.
Hahaha, kudos to you my friend. I'm guessing eventually you'll have to cave and pick .308 as the caliber, but I'm also curious to see what rationale they give you.

I recommend, as is suggested in the Guide as well, to pick .308 from the caliber list, and then write in the Comments section "Barrels are interchangeable with other calibers."

The comments don't show up on the final registration letter, and I have no idea if they get stored in their "system" or not, but they WILL be on your registration submission confirmation page, which I recommend everyone always print and retain for their own records.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-16-2018 at 4:18 PM..
Old 04-16-2018, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Hahaha, kudos to you my friend. I'm guessing eventually you'll have to cave and pick .308 as the caliber, but I'm also curious to see what rationale they give you.

I recommend, as is suggested in the Guide as well, to pick .308 from the caliber list, and then write in the Comments section "Barrels are interchangeable with other calibers."

The comments don't show up on the final registration letter, and I have no idea if they get stored in their "system" or not, but they WILL be on your registration submission confirmation page, which I recommend everyone always print and retain for their own records.
I have gone back and forth with them, they arent budging and yes they suggested listing in the comments sections the other calibers it could accept. I instead used language similar to yours so that it would not be constrained to just those calibers in use today.

I knew it was futile but I did want to push just to see what they would come back with.
Old 04-16-2018, 5:49 PM

Got my approval letter. “U S” does stand for United States after all.

Old 04-16-2018, 5:53 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Got my approval letter. “U S” does stand for United States after all.

They didn't put your name as the manufacturer, they put United States instead?

Old 04-16-2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah LOL did they not do that for you?
Old 04-16-2018, 8:24 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

Quote:
Yeah LOL did they not do that for you?
I haven't registered my home builds yet. Curious if others' letters say the same thing?

Old 04-16-2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I haven't registered my home builds yet. Curious if others' letters say the same thing?

“We the People...” although contradicting since you are supposed to complete your 80% on your own.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGuy View Post
Submitted applications on Thursday April 5th and received an individual "Submission Conformation" e mail for each rifle on Friday April 6th saying: The California Department of Justice has received your electronic AB 1135/SB 880 Assault Weapon Registration and will begin processing your submission. You will be notified of the results via U.S. Mail. If you have any questions, please use the Report an Issue feature in the CFARS application.

As of today (April 10th) CFARS CRIS Transaction History page shows the rifles "In Progress"
Just an update...
April 5, Submitted online application for several rifles.
April 6, received the submission confirmation e mail.
April 11 is the date printed on my approval letter and their postal meter date.
April 12 is the postmark date
April 14, approval letter received in Southern California

April 16, submitted some additional rifles
April 17, received the confirmation e mail.

Everything is still showing in progress on the website. Even those already approved.

I made sure to take very clear and well lit photos on a neutral background.

Since I have lowers marked Multi, and have to select interchangeable barrels. I made sure to add a comment saying interchangeable barrels and listed the caliber of the attached barrel. I did not send barrel stamp photos.
Old 04-17-2018, 3:17 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️

9 days total, that's the fastest one I've seen so far. I'm guessing they were all basic AR rifles?

Seems to also confirm what I suspected - that the individual "submission confirmation" emails saying they'll notify you of your results via US Mail are essentially approval emails.

Last edited by cockedandglocked; 04-17-2018 at 3:19 PM..
Old 04-17-2018, 8:13 PM

Quote:
United States is what the approval letter says is the make of my 80% that they made me engrave my name on as "make"
Old 04-17-2018, 8:49 PM

How are you finding out when everything is sent/received? Are you only able to see this after receiving your registration paperwork?