Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:15 AM

Lightbulb Use a retrieving dog for conservation on dove shoots.

This comes from Charley Dickey's book, Dove Hunting, from 1975.

ISBN-10: 0883653362

Having a well-trained dog won't let you get side-tracked or worried about recovering downed birds so you can concentrate and be a better shooter.
One of Charley's laws: no matter where a shot dove falls, it will be hard to find. You can even drop a bird on a billiard table and still lose it.
The dog's nose will find the dead/crippled bird in virtually any cover that a dog can possibly navigate. Even the sharpest of human eyes can pass over a bird lying on bare soil since doves camouflage so well on the ground.

About 30% of all shot doves in America are lost and never recovered: this translates into millions of wasted birds yearly.

A good retriever can find a downed or crippled dove up to a quarter mile away.

Labrador and golden retrievers make the top two dove breeds but any breed or mongrel will do if it can be trained to retrieve doves.
The author prefers sporting breeds to recover doves but claims the best dove collector to date he has seen was a German shepherd in Texas
and has also commended collies and mongrels for doing a good job of sweeping the field up of these birds.

Labradors, German shepherds and Goldens are America's top three dog breeds in popularity as it stands now.

The Labrador can suck up downed doves in a field like a Hoover vacuum cleaner according to Mr. Dickey, the author.

According to Charley: field trials are not conducted for dogs to retrieve doves and wild pigeons and there are no {breed} standards in regards to doves.

Never shoot doves over an area where it would be impractical for both dog and man to try to recover from: swamps and desert areas heavy with cactus for two examples.

A dog that can "hunt dead" is a must.

Dogs may not like the smell of doves and pigeons and the taste of them in their mouths and that's where force-break training comes in.
Even if the dog is not happy about soft dove down in his mouth this is no excuse to balk at retrieving. Mr. Dickey does not like paying for
"Rover's" room and board all spring and summer long for him to loaf or dilly-dally in the dove field on September 1.

Always have cool, fresh water for dogs in the field not only to quench their thirst but to cleanse soft dove feather out of their mouths.

Make sure the dog is trained to steady on the line and retrieves promptly and directly only when cast. Mr. Dickey states in his book that he is not convinced
that a retriever's running around wild in the field spooks doves but hunters at stands nearby may think differently and fault their empty game bags on your
"unruly" dog. Having an unruly dog can cause you to lose your welcome on future dove shoots. Mr. Dickey explains how to use a choke collar in force-break (force-fetch) training as there were no e-collars in 1975. The only time I recall hearing "nick" in 1975 was Santa Claus's name following "Saint".

Suffice it to say, the canine dove collector must mark falls well, have a keen enough nose to locate downed birds, be willing to retrieve them and wants to work.
Dove hunting is much like duck hunting as it most often involves work from a fixed position, sometimes made into a blind and camouflaged, and often involves decoys as well unless you are jump-shooting for ducks. Mr. Dickey states in his book that jump-shooting technique is also used for doves on occasion. It is then not surprising that Labrador retrievers and Goldens are commonly seen on dove fields as they are commonly seen at duck blinds. Your duck dog is often your dove dog.

If you shoot doves near a watering hole and a bird falls in the drink, do you want to swim after it yourself?

Basic obedience training is essential for the working dove dog. With voice commands, hand signals and whistles you can move
your retriever around the field at 300+ yards like working border collies, the author states.

A dog always makes the hunt more memorable and endearing.

The dog can be used to flush doves in a large field that are landing out of shotgun range to feed. The dog is sent out to get them up
on the wing and circling and he promptly returns to the handler. This process is repeated if doves are stubborn about getting into the
range of your choke.

Nowadays, MOJO decoys might also help pull doves into your gun. Mr. Dickey mentions dove decoys but they were the non-fancy
non-motorized kind back in the 1970's. "MOJO" is what you once might have told the waitress when you wanted a warm-up on coffee.

In short, using retrievers in the dove field makes for sound wildlife conservation practice.
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."

Last edited by DonaldBabbett; 07-19-2018 at 5:40 PM..
Old 07-19-2018, 12:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old 07-19-2018, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

What an I missing here?
Old 07-19-2018, 1:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
What an I missing here?
Shhhhh! You'll scare away all the Wabbits!

Last edited by WartHog; 07-19-2018 at 1:13 PM..
Old 07-19-2018, 3:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

We're all goin' to the dogs.

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 07-19-2018, 4:02 PM

Well I have always said, a well trained retriever is one of the best conservation tools in the duck blind. Right next to handing my blind partner the calls
Old 07-19-2018, 5:13 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucky View Post
What an I missing here?
Read post #23......it should get you up to speed

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1461261
Old 07-19-2018, 5:16 PM
Libertarian Space Cowboy.
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: May have been the losing side, still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Intellectually and physically impaired. Damn shame.
“Sometimes you can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, executing the hens who laid them on trumped up charges and setting the most rebellious henhouse on fire as an example to the others.”
Old 07-19-2018, 5:37 PM

Cool read but is there any type of upland or waterfowl hunting that isn’t benefited by a retriever?
Old 07-19-2018, 5:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapdude86 View Post
Cool read but is there any type of upland or waterfowl hunting that isn’t benefited by a retriever?
All of them, depends on the retriever. Hunters who have hunted with marginal dogs can relate
Old 07-19-2018, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartHog View Post

Please don't mock my "Patton speeches" on guns and hunting, you bilious bastard!
"The Left wants to divide, disarm and CONQUER you. More than ISIS, the Taliban, Nazi Germany, China, North Korea and Marxist Russia combined, The Left is the single greatest enemy of Liberty and the American Way."
Old 07-19-2018, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
All of them, depends on the retriever. Hunters who have hunted with marginal dogs can relate
A conscientious hunter seeks a prime dog, not a marginal pooch.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBabbett View Post
Please don't mock my "Patton speeches" on guns and hunting, you bilious bastard!
Trying to imitate Patton may perhaps be challenging.

Bilious = irritable...pot calling kettle black, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
Read post #23......it should get you up to speed
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1461261
Having a handicap is no excuse for a crap attitude. OP's issue looks to me like he has no outside contacts save on the internet.

Self-pity is a *****, and left untreated can get very messy. If I were sponsoring OP in a group setting, I'd suggest getting off the effin' computer, go outside, and meet some people...which obviously can happen if / when he finds a support group.

Quote:
This comes from Charley Dickey's book, Dove Hunting, from 1975.

.........snipped........tl, dr, stating the obvious and beating an already dead horse or 3................

If you shoot doves near a watering hole and a bird falls in the drink, do you want to swim after it yourself?
I've never dropped one in the drink, normally all in the air coming and going to the water hole around sundown. As far as dogs, dove density in Texas often looked like a cloud of birds...easy to hit and drop. As dove is not my preferred game bird and a pita to clean, when I limited out I'd give my birds to a younger shooter or someone on their first dove hunt.

Quote:
A conscientious hunter seeks a prime dog, not a marginal pooch.
We're beating on that dead horse again...

If I could live my life all over,
It wouldn't matter anyway,
'Cause I never could stay sober
On the Corpus Christi Bay. Robert Earl Keene

Heaven goes by favor.
If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain
Old 07-19-2018, 6:29 PM

I can't believe people still engage this Troll.
Old 07-19-2018, 6:32 PM
Veteran Member

Ehh..maybe before global warming hunters used labs for dove. I keep mine at home - too hot, dusty, and pokee weeds for my lab. Coyotes got to eat too.
Old 07-20-2018, 3:52 PM

For the last 30 years, we've done a lot of Dove shooting in Parker AZ, and El Centro CA. Over the years, opening day has probably averaged 80 degrees at dawn and over 100 by 10:00 A.M. The humidity is such that you're sweating just by standing up. Now, think about your dog, who has to run around it that heat! Even if you keep him wet and full of water, he still stands a good chance of heatstroke.

If it's too hot for you then it's way too hot for your dog. We leave them home.