Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 12-04-2018, 6:48 PM

Default AK scope mount

Hi all,

Quick question about AK side rail scope mounts. I have a Romanian parts kit AK and want to get a mount for the side rail. I'm looking at RS Regulate mounts. My question is do different AK have different style side mounts and what the best one be to get.

Thanks in advance.

John

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2018, 10:57 PM

The Romanian wasr rail uses the standard ak rail. The yugo AK and large caliber PSL rifles have their own versions. RS Regulate's AK 301/302/303 models will all work with your side rail.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:20 AM

Scope mount on an AK?
Old 12-05-2018, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfire25 View Post
Hi all,

Quick question about AK side rail scope mounts. I have a Romanian parts kit AK and want to get a mount for the side rail. I'm looking at RS Regulate mounts. My question is do different AK have different style side mounts and what the best one be to get.

Thanks in advance.

John

It depends on how much of a purist you are. Back in the Iron Curtain days, each country had their own style, but they fit each other’s scope mounts, with narrow exceptions like blackrat wrote. If you are building a fully Romanian gun, look for the correct side rail (post in AKFiles your question) to get “the look”, but if you’re just going for functionality, most will do.

Also consider KOP Sabrewerks for scope mounts if you’re starting with a parts kit. They’re well built and are very stable.

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 12-05-2018, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

I have the MI qd mount and just bought the RS regulate for my ak style shotgun. Both work but the RS seems like a better fit.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 12-05-2018, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
It depends on how much of a purist you are. Back in the Iron Curtain days, each country had their own style, but they fit each other’s scope mounts, with narrow exceptions like blackrat wrote. If you are building a fully Romanian gun, look for the correct side rail (post in AKFiles your question) to get “the look”, but if you’re just going for functionality, most will do.

Also consider KOP Sabrewerks for scope mounts if you’re starting with a parts kit. They’re well built and are very stable.
Awesome thanks guys. This doesn't have a normal AK look so I'm not to worried about the look or style. Just function. This is the rifle and mount.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 PM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrat View Post
The Romanian wasr rail uses the standard ak rail. The yugo AK and large caliber PSL rifles have their own versions. RS Regulate's AK 301/302/303 models will all work with your side rail.
Yup, RS is GTG. I swapped out my Ultimaks and an Arsenal side mount for the RS stuff. I use them for micro dots, 3x PA prism scope and a CMR 1-4 optic.

Great looking rifle OP. Built from a parts kit you say?
Old 12-05-2018, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post
Yup, RS is GTG. I swapped out my Ultimaks and an Arsenal side mount for the RS stuff. I use them for micro dots, 3x PA prism scope and a CMR 1-4 optic.

Great looking rifle OP. Built from a parts kit you say?
Romanian parts put together by Lee Armory. I wanted a featureless AK that still looked good with nice wood furniture.

https://www.leearmory.com/product/le...-hunter-rifle/

Old 12-06-2018, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

are you going to put a red dot on it or a magnified scope? If it's a red dot your after you can't get any better than a Russian made PKA-V It will mount right up on your base and works perfectly.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/venezuela-...fle-scope.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 12-06-2018, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
are you going to put a red dot on it or a magnified scope? If it's a red dot your after you can't get any better than a Russian made PKA-V It will mount right up on your base and works perfectly.

Awesome thanks. I'm looking at the primary arms acss cyclops currently

Old 12-06-2018, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

jwfire25 where did you get that furniture I like it!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 4:22 PM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post

Must. Resist. Buying. More. Combloc. Optics... I’ve been eyeballing one of those as well for a bit. How’s the weight? Also wouldn’t mind adding the PK-AS at some point as well.

OP, a Kobra would fit the red dot role. I snagged one from Kalinka a while back, great optic. Having multiple dots/reticle options is nice feature, I shoot it mainly using the arrow/dot. Lives on an SGL31 right now.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...ide-mount.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65087F95-4827-4076-8ABB-666928196956.jpg (16.2 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by toiletfighter; 12-06-2018 at 4:27 PM.. Reason: Grammar and spelling matter!
Old 12-06-2018, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whutsup40 View Post
jwfire25 where did you get that furniture I like it!!!
I bought the rifle complete from Lee Armory.

https://www.leearmory.com/product/le...-hunter-rifle/

Old 12-06-2018, 5:47 PM

I got a cheap MI mount for the red dot and it locks up really nice. No issues after a 3 day class. I was thinking about cutting almost half off the rail part since it will only hold a red dot and it would cut down weight a bit.
Old 12-06-2018, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
I got a cheap MI mount for the red dot and it locks up really nice. No issues after a 3 day class. I was thinking about cutting almost half off the rail part since it will only hold a red dot and it would cut down weight a bit.
Not worth cutting it off as it will lose value and the weight reduction will not be that much.
Old 12-06-2018, 6:32 PM

I will add the Kalinka Optics is good to go. While I opted for a p o s p 4 power scope for my AK the company itself is a very good option.
Old 12-11-2018, 2:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toiletfighter View Post
Must. Resist. Buying. More. Combloc. Optics... I’ve been eyeballing one of those as well for a bit. How’s the weight? Also wouldn’t mind adding the PK-AS at some point as well.

OP, a Kobra would fit the red dot role. I snagged one from Kalinka a while back, great optic. Having multiple dots/reticle options is nice feature, I shoot it mainly using the arrow/dot. Lives on an SGL31 right now.

https://kalinkaoptics.com/rifle-scop...ide-mount.html
It's a bit heavy, but it's a great scope. In line over the bore and 1/3 lower co-witness with the iron sights. Some pic's of one on a Romanian AK (Polish Beryl stock)

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

Last edited by SVT-40; 12-11-2018 at 5:11 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 7:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mievil View Post
I cut down a cheap AK side mount to use on a Yugo M92 bastard build. After cutting it down it allowed the mount to fit behind the top cover mounted rear sight. Perfect placement for a small red dot.

Cutting the mount left it much cleaner. when installed. If you think it would make the unit lighter I would go for it, as it would also cut down on bulk. No need for a bunch of unused rail hanging about.

Quote: