Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 05-23-2018, 8:18 PM

Default WBP Polish AKM Build

Hereís my current build of a featureless AK pattern. Something fun to shoot and not worry about crazy laws (for now).
Started with a ReCreator blanks 100% receiver with proper markings. This is a WBP parts kit from AoA.

Here we are pressing the barrel back into the trunnion after riveting. Headspace is perfect.

Testing the action fitment.

Magazine locks in great.

Here it is all together.

Added a polish sling and WBP Polish poly mags.

Girlfriend testing it out.

And me!

Ran about 150 rounds through it so far without a single hiccup. The Damage Industries muzzle brake makes this rifle extremely soft/flat shooting, and I love it.

VIDEO: https://imgur.com/absuyc5

More pics to come! Need to decide how I want to finish/coat/paint it.
And yes, those casings really fly....
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 PM

Wow, you are truly a renesan my friend. Do you engage in commercial tuning of factory AK's at all? If so I would possibly be interested in sending my npap to you for work. If not interested, could you recommend a particular smith for same? I'm in west OC ...
Old 05-24-2018, 6:29 AM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

Looks good. I was thinking of grabbing one of the head spaced “sporter” kits with the combo FSP/gas block. Read a few reviews online and at AK Files with mixed opinions. How’d you like the kit and the Beyrl type rail? SVT40 here I think has built a rifle from the same or similar kit, seemed GTG.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:32 AM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by isntzen View Post
Wow, you are truly a renesan my friend. Do you engage in commercial tuning of factory AK's at all? If so I would possibly be interested in sending my npap to you for work. If not interested, could you recommend a particular smith for same? I'm in west OC ...
Unless the OP is an FFL, sending a complete firearm for him to work on is verboten. Try HIT Armory in Upland.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

That looks great! I'm happy the build was a good experience. Now beware, because one leads to many more!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 05-24-2018, 6:59 AM

Appreciate all the compliments! This is my very first AK build and very happy with how itís turning out. This parts kit is definitely GTG. it is the headspaced kit that we pressed the barrel out of, and back in after riveting the front trunnion. I really like the rail system and now that Iíve taken it off and put it back on a few times I can do it by hand, as it was very stiff to start, and needed to use a rubber mallet. I have a cheap red dot Iím going to put on it for now, but wanted to first test out the irons. Definitely a fun gun!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:43 AM

Nice, im really interested in those kits because theyre all brand new and matching. Was going to go with recreator as well and since we gotta jump thru hoops with 80s now glad they just offer the 100s.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:44 AM

Please document your painting/finishing process on the receiver
Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstrider View Post
Nice, im really interested in those kits because theyre all brand new and matching. Was going to go with recreator as well and since we gotta jump thru hoops with 80s now glad they just offer the 100s.

Yeah the receiver is great and the holes came small so you can line them up perfect with the trunnions, or you can opt to drill them yourself too. I think Matt at ReCreator Blanks makes the best receivers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-24-2018, 2:09 PM
Calguns Addict

I recently used Alumahyde matte black on a AK build. It is a good match to the OEM finish.

The paint on the top cover,folding stock and safety are original. The Alumahyde even matches the texture. (I preheated the barreled receiver with a heat gun before painting.)

Quote:
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 05-24-2018, 2:13 PM
Get Lost...
CGN Contributor

^^^ Gorgeous. I’m getting ready to redo the front end on a 223 Saiga that needs paint, I’m thinking that matte black is the way to go.
Old 05-24-2018, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
I recently used Alumahyde matte black on a AK build. It is a good match to the OEM finish.

The paint on the top cover,folding stock and safety are original. The Alumahyde even matches the texture. (I preheated the barreled receiver with a heat gun before painting.)

I may have to go that route if I paint over park. Looks really good!!

Old 05-24-2018, 5:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I didn't paint over park on the above build. It was painted on a bare receiver...

Quote:
Old 05-24-2018, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT-40 View Post
I didn't paint over park on the above build. It was painted on a bare receiver...

Either way it looks great man, I love your builds