Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-21-2011, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Default Savage Mark II FVT

Savage Mark II FVT

Just bought this recently from Irvington Arms. I was only inquiring about a price quote and then they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I wanted an inexpensive practice rifle to get better with iron peep sights and thought this might fit the bill.

I don't have the rifle yet, but I would love to hear some reports from owners of this or other Savage Mark II's. Ammo suggestions? Other words of encouragement?
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 02-21-2011, 5:05 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think you are going to like the stock fit, I added an Accurest to my and it improved the fit 100% the comb? has too much drop. I shoot some old Federal Gold Medal target I have laying around the rifle likes them, its a great shooter but I have the same rifle in 17 HMR and it will out shoot the 22LR version.

Old 02-21-2011, 6:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine loves Wolf Match Target.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies . I've heard about the Wolf Match Target being really accurate for the Mark II. I'm wondering if you have any experience with PMC Zappers using the Mark II. I've still got quite a few of these.

Btw, what is an Accurest? Is this what you are talking about? Accurest
"When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

"Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X
Old 02-22-2011, 5:44 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry senior moment should have typed Accu-Riser they have perm attach and strap on.

http://www.amazon.com/ACCU-RISER-MOL.../dp/B003EUBO80

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
Sorry senior moment should have typed Accu-Riser they have perm attach and strap on.

http://www.amazon.com/ACCU-RISER-MOL.../dp/B003EUBO80
This is cool. Just what I might need for all my rifles and shotguns.

Btw, since I don't have the Mark II FVT in hand yet, can you describe how to adjust the Williams Sight?

Old 02-22-2011, 8:20 PM
Veteran Member

Wait until your rifle shows up it will have instructions for the sight pretty easy to do, target knobs make it even easier.

Old 02-22-2011, 9:00 PM
Veteran Member

Ditch the plastic stock. They flex something awful, enough to change poi. Savage makes some sweet rifles other than that.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-ADC View Post
Wait until your rifle shows up it will have instructions for the sight pretty easy to do, target knobs make it even easier.
For some reason I was patient waiting for my Mossberg 930SPX, but for the Savage Mark II FVT I'm getting itchy. Must be cause I know I will likely be using the Savage tons more.

Btw, from what I understand the target peep sight is removable and in its place will remain a closer to normal rear peep sight. Also, does the globe sight come with a selection of inserts?

Finally, do you guys have any recommendations on where I can purchase 10-rd magazines?

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 02-23-2011, 6:43 AM
Veteran Member

You can buy mags direct from Savage cheap and they are very fair on shipping costs.
Old 02-23-2011, 7:44 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
You can buy mags direct from Savage cheap and they are very fair on shipping costs.
Yeah thanks. Shipping was about the same for most of the other online places and they offered free shipping with a knife purchase which only added about $6 total to my order.

Old 02-23-2011, 8:22 AM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPSICK View Post

Btw, from what I understand the target peep sight is removable and in its place will remain a closer to normal rear peep sight. Thanks for all the help so far.
The rear aperture is removable. I have a Williams Peep sight and I use a .050 rear aperture for target work (aim small, miss small) and a .095 for hunting (faster target acquisition).
Old 02-23-2011, 8:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have the MarkII tactical and love it... I ran 2 boxes of Remington match ammo and it shot really well. I have a box of Lapua, Wolf, and Aguila waiting for me to test...
Old 02-23-2011, 9:05 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
The rear aperture is removable. I have a Williams Peep sight and I use a .050 rear aperture for target work (aim small, miss small) and a .095 for hunting (faster target acquisition).
Stop getting me even more excited about this gun then I already am! This just sounds awesome.

Btw, do you guys zero this gun for 100 yds or less?

Old 02-23-2011, 9:46 AM

And, there is a knock-out that comes with the sight with either 8 or 10 front sight blades that fit in the front sight.

I also bought an FVT. I wanted to be able to use peep sights. The FVT was the only model that came with these sights AND the receiver is drilled so I can put a scope on it if I like. The other models have the mounts for a scope, but AREN'T drilled for the peep sights!

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.

Jeff
Old 02-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge1572 View Post
And, there is a knock-out that comes with the sight with either 8 or 10 front sight blades that fit in the front sight....AND the receiver is drilled so I can put a scope on it if I like. The other models have the mounts for a scope, but AREN'T drilled for the peep sights!

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet though.

Jeff
Yet even more things to get excited about. Get out and shoot that thing. I know I will, provided I find time away from work, school, family. OK, maybe I won't be able to shoot it as soon as I thought. Thank goodness I live really close to a range.