Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Firearms Accessories: Holsters, Safes, Lights & more If it locks up, carries, fits on to or cleans up your firearms, discuss it here.

Old 01-05-2013, 8:44 PM

Default Vault Doors

Has anyone installed a vault door at home, and what brand did you go with?

Doing some shopping, but having trouble finding a moving company that will hault 800lbs upstairs to the room I want secured.

Looking at American Security or Sportsman Steel. The opening size is a limiting factor, so some other brands are ruled out.

Experience with either of these products?
Old 01-05-2013, 9:31 PM

Check with West Coast Liberty Safes in Ontario. They do this for a living. I've been very happy with my relationship with them.
Old 01-06-2013, 3:41 PM

On the first issue of finding a company to do the move - suggest looking for Safe companies rather than moving companies. They might have experience and willing to tackle the job.

I've got a Sturdy safe, they offer a vault door and custom size of one as well. http://www.sturdysafe.com/vaultdoor.htm
Old 01-06-2013, 4:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Upstairs vault? You know a good vault has concrete reinforced walls, right? (i.e., not for an upstairs room in 99.99999% of homes.)

For Sale: Off Roster CZ, Browning, PTR 91 Moving Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWalkerM View Post
eh why bring logic into this, that makes too much sense... besides when you have bested a fool, you have accomplished nothing and he is a fool.
Old 01-06-2013, 5:33 PM

Default location, location, location

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobun View Post
Upstairs vault? You know a good vault has concrete reinforced walls, right? (i.e., not for an upstairs room in 99.99999% of homes.)
If I were installing in new construction, yes. Luckily, the location of this closet is inaccessible unless you practically demolish the house. With any safe or door, you are buying time more than anything.
Old 01-29-2013, 7:19 AM

In reality, unless you are installing in a poured concrete wall, the vault door will be a serious waste of money. A steel door and multiple decent dead bolts, maybe a double bar fox lock will be 1/10 the price and offer just as much security as a vault door in a standard construction wall. It will also attract less attention to someone ransacking your house. In any vault, the walls, floor and ceiling are faster to breach than the door itself, but putting one in wood framed wall is pointless and a waste of money.

Remember, they dont have to make a 4'x4' hole, just one large enough to squeez in and pass out your guns. 16" on center studs with even double thick sheetrock or old school plaster can be smashed through by kicking it in less than a minute. With an axe or some type of prybar its about 15-30 seconds.