Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 05-08-2018, 4:03 PM

Default Texan Flying in With Guns

Hey all, long time lurker first time poster.. I live in Texas but will be flying to California (Ontario) in a short while to visit friends. We're all enthusiasts and plan on getting in some range time. I have a couple Sigs, a P 365 and a P 229 I'd like to fly in with (no ammo, only one checked bag). The 229 is on the Cali approved list but the new 365 is not. Not bringing in any magazines with more than 10-round capacity and as stated no ammo. Am I OK bringing in the P 365? Hard cases, no ammo, TSA locks on both, in checked bag, 10-round magazines only. I thought I'd ask here because in my experience FFL's are more up to speed on regulations than just about anyone else. I appreciate your time, thank you.

SD
Old 05-08-2018, 4:20 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No TSA locks on firearms. Must use your lock and only you have access. Ammo can be in mags or in boxes designed to hold ammo and can be in same case just not inserted into firearms. Where did the tsa lock bs come from? You declare firearms at check in counter and sign affidavit and take to tsa for inspection. After inspection you go to gate and pick up at baggage claim at destination.

Last edited by edgerly779; 05-08-2018 at 4:31 PM..
Old 05-08-2018, 4:33 PM

OK, I got crossed up with TSA locks on baggage and gun cases. Can I bring in the 365 nor not? Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 4:36 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Yes, you may bring the 365 - Roster applies only to transfers from a CA FFL.

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 05-08-2018, 4:37 PM
In Memoriam

You can bring in a pistol NOT on the approved list with no problem.

Check to see if your pistol is on the banned list. If so, leave it at home.

Have fun.
Old 05-08-2018, 4:42 PM

Thanks guys. Not on the banned list, just a new gun not on the roster. A friend pointed me to this site for the answer. Thank you all very much. Safe shooting and tight groups,

SD
Old 05-15-2018, 4:03 PM

OK, so that same friend pointed out that I probably shouldn't have said I was flying in from Texas. It seems the only people who dislike Texans more than Coloradans is Californians, apparently. Not the present company, of course.

Last edited by SlowDrifter; 05-15-2018 at 4:07 PM.. Reason: afterthought
Old 05-15-2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowDrifter View Post
OK, so that same friend pointed out that I probably shouldn't have said I was flying in from Texas. It seems the only people who dislike Texans more than Coloradans is Californians, apparently. Not the present company, of course.
Get out of here you dirty Texan...
lol jk
Old 05-15-2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Never heard of that kind of dislike, but we are equally salty to all people with the ability to have nice things we can't have for no damn reason.

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 11:44 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
It seems the only people who dislike Texans more than Coloradans is Californians, apparently.
I was in CO visiting my brother and I had heard numerous times that they hated TX drivers. We were going into a college and there were two lanes which T'ed into another road. In front of us was a TX truck in the left lane, which turns left, and was signalling a left turn and we were in the right lane to turn right. So that reminded me to ask my brother why they hate TX drivers there. Well, just as I asked that the truck suddenly turned right in front of us. My brother didn't say anything, but I got my answer.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

On calguns we hate and pick on everyone.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:54 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
On calguns we hate and pick on everyone.
Not Librarian.

Don't tell someone to read the rules he wrote or tell him that he is wrong.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. You waste your time and you annoy the pig. - Robert A. Heinlein
Old 05-16-2018, 1:29 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
We're every bit as accepting of folks from Baja Oklahoma as we are folks from Baja California.

The only thing that we ask is for you to speak more quickly and without that annoying "Texas Drawl." Most Californians don't have enough patience to listen to a lot of Texans speak in their native tongue.
Old 05-21-2018, 6:18 PM

Yes, Californians are generally in a hurry to get everywhere and have little patience. We tend to talk fast. When I go to traveling through the midwest, I have to remember to slow down.

A vote is clearly much more dangerous than a gun.

Why advocate restrictions on one right (voting) without comparable restrictions on another (self defense) (or, why not say 'Be a U.S. citizen' as the requirement for CCW)?

--Librarian
Old 05-21-2018, 6:24 PM
Señor Member

Make sure none of your semi-autos have threaded barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:45 PM

LOL... greatness. Can't wait to visit California again. Like the old saying goes, you don't need to ask a Texan where he's from, just give him a minute, he'll tell you.
Old 06-18-2018, 3:21 PM

OK, so I flew out there and back with handguns in my checked bag. They didn't even ask to open the cases. Just taped on the cards that I filled out and had me linger a few minutes before proceeding to TSA personal screening in case there was an issue. There wasn't. Both going and coming I could tell my bag had been gone through, though.
Old 06-18-2018, 3:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I fly to texas several times a year to hunt on southwest airlines never a problem.
Old 06-18-2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I fly to texas several times a year to hunt on southwest airlines never a problem.
Southwest let's you hunt on the airline now? I knew there was a reason I like them best.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2018, 5:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post
speak more quickly and without that annoying "Texas Drawl." .
I bought a big Pelican Air case (1615 I think). Used it as the hard case and was able to avoid TSA locks which would allow any ramp jockey into the case. It was nice knowing everything was secure.
My wife's great uncle brought an English bride back with him from WWII. They settled in Texas. You always knew it was her on the phone - a proper British accent mixed with the Texas drawl.