Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpatbay View Post
Do you mean Section 1-7? Also, there is a signature in Section 6. Do I just leave that unsigned?
Pages 1-7 should include Sections 1-5. Since section 6 (on page 8) includes a hold harmless agreement, I believe they will want that signed in the presence of the interviewing officer.
Old 02-27-2014, 2:36 PM

I emailed them about the training requirements, my email was.

Quote:
Hello,

I am interested in what will be accepted for the Training Requirement. Will the NRA Basic Pistol or NRA Defensive Pistol courses be sufficient?

Thanks
They responded with,

Quote:
We are in the process of updating our training vendor list. If you have other training that may qualify, you can submit that information; however any training that is not listed has not been audited, which may delay processing of your application while we attempt to confirm if the provider meets our requirements. We will be sending out a list of approved trainers to applicants as soon as it becomes available.

CCW Unit

Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office

55 W Younger Avenue

San Jose, CA 95110
Old 02-27-2014, 2:49 PM

You got the longer version.

"A list of approved instructors is currently being complied, and will be posted to the website soon."

From the CCW unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRA Member
NAGR Member
CGF Member
GOA Member
Old 02-27-2014, 2:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

All of the answers people are getting piecemeal via email really should be on that singular URL they have published, but I guess that's asking too much.

It's pretty obvious that the fact the game previously was only limited to the "elite" and other friends of Laurie, there is a serious lack of process in place.

Like people have mentioned, I guess we will follow instructions to the letter (as best we can), document everything carefully/completely, and give the SCC deputies ample leeway to complete the process with the provided information.

Since Training is part of the LTC process, the general advice so far is not to pay or register for that aspect of the process until we are clear who the resources are... there is vetting process required for the training and I'd hate to hear about people being jacked for their money with a trainer who turns out not to be properly approved. Historically, it sounds like CCW live-fire training was handled by the Sheriff's Office staff on their own range in SJ.

Thanks to everyone for the info so far... and best of luck!
Old 02-27-2014, 3:19 PM

Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2014 2:42 PM
To: majtom94
Subject: RE: CCW Training

A list of approved instructors is currently being compiled, and will be posted to the website soon.

CCW Unit
55 W Younger Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110

NRA Member
NAGR Member
CGF Member
GOA Member
Old 02-27-2014, 4:03 PM

Any thoughts on one already having a LTC from Utah? Since one has to go through a training class, prints and background being vetted by the Feds already wonder if that will have any effect. Santa Clara County could save a ton of time and resources if they recognized another state's LTC instead of having a person do the exact same process again.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

Last edited by jazman; 02-27-2014 at 4:05 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 4:06 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazman View Post
Any thoughts on one already having a LTC from Utah? Since one has to go through a training class, prints and background being vetted by the Feds already wonder if that will have any effect.
I'm hoping so, but I doubt it. I hold a permit in Az, Utah, Nevada and Oregon. Nevada required 8 hrs (had to be completed in the state), and the other three accepted the 16 hrs I completed in Placer County (taught by "Best Handgun Training" which is on the approved list for that county). Crossing my fingers the 16hrs I took at Best is good enough for Santa Clara County.
Old 02-27-2014, 4:24 PM

Question regarding section 3

I currently do not have the gun I would carry... Should I just another one of my firearms that I would occasionally carry? And then once I get my permit should will I be able to add it?

I had planned to purchase the gun once I knew that we would be able to obtain CCL's
Old 02-27-2014, 4:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Any thoughts on one already having a LTC from Utah? Since one has to go through a training class, prints and background being vetted by the Feds already wonder if that will have any effect. Santa Clara County could save a ton of time and resources if they recognized another state's LTC instead of having a person do the exact same process again.
I think CA mandates live-fire qualification, which negates any of the classroom-based out-of-state CCW training that I've typically seen.
Old 02-27-2014, 4:41 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Unlikely to have any influence.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 02-27-2014, 6:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasys View Post
It looks like Kamala Harris is fighting the court ruling, wonder how long this will delay us...

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2uZzv2FIy
for those who are interested... the info regarding today's (2/27) developments in the appeals process can start following things here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post13543199

probably should try to limit discussion in this thread on that topic so we don't get too far OT.
Quite.

Litigation discussions go to the 2A Litigation and Legal Discussion forum.

This forum is more for discussing LTC 'nuts and bolts' - where to apply, where to get apps, how to answer questions on the app, that kind of thing.

// Librarian

Last edited by Librarian; 02-27-2014 at 7:27 PM..
Old 02-27-2014, 6:57 PM
Veteran Member

Tag
Old 02-27-2014, 11:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

(going to cross-post this just because the info is a little scattered on the forums still...)

I was at the GS2AC meeting tonight in San Jose and the guest speaker, Don Kilmer, offered the practical (not legal) advice that it might be wise to wait out the resolution of the OAG's petition to intervene before investing the application fee with SCCSO. They are not going to touch the applications until the decision is finalized, period.

This kind of legal process could take a little bit of time...
Old 02-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

SCCSO is not requiring any application fee at this time. I think we all know the applications submitted are sitting in a stack somewhere awaiting the outcome of Peruta.

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 02-28-2014, 7:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
All valid questions and concerns.

But... really... what's our alternative to submitting and seeing where the chips fall? I don't see any, unfortunately.
I completely agree with you now, BigJ.

I will be attending a Calif CCW class in Burlingame on Tue/Wed of next week.

Crossing my fingers that the classes taught in Burlingame are good enough for Santa Clara County. Since he is state licensed, the instructor should be plenty qualified.

Thank you again for your guidance on this topic, BigJ. Thank you!

Last edited by hks95134; 03-01-2014 at 1:19 AM..
Old 02-28-2014, 8:25 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to help in some small way, but really this is and always has been a group effort. We're going to win this, and reclaim some small measure of Constitutional freedom. But there's obviously still a ton of work to be done.

First post updated with a link to post #91, which directs elsewhere for discussion about the AG's appeal.
Old 02-28-2014, 8:25 AM

I just got back from dropping off my application at the SCC Sheriff's Office.

Some notes:
I got there before 8am (when they open) but the officer there gladly helped me out. He said he already got 5, including mine, this morning before even opening. Also said they got like 30+ yesterday and they just keep coming in.

He made me sign/date the portion right above Section 1, and said they will sign/date their required sections when I come back for the interview.

He said we will most likely just be contacted within the required 90 days but doesn't necessarily mean interview/acceptance.

There is no receipt of acceptance of any kind, and (at least the officer I was dealing with) didn't want to sign anything. He did say all these go straight to the person-in-charges desk/stack though.

Hope that helps anyone out!
Old 02-28-2014, 8:26 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to help in some small way, but really this is and always has been a group effort. We're going to win this, and reclaim some small measure of Constitutional freedom. But there's obviously still a ton of work to be done.

First post updated with a link to post #91, which directs elsewhere for discussion about the AG's appeal.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haw1144 View Post
I just got back from dropping off my application at the SCC Sheriff's Office.

Some notes:
I got there before 8am (when they open) but the officer there gladly helped me out. He said he already got 5, including mine, this morning before even opening. Also said they got like 30+ yesterday and they just keep coming in.

He made me sign/date the portion right above Section 1, and said they will sign/date their required sections when I come back for the interview.

He said we will most likely just be contacted within the required 90 days but doesn't necessarily mean interview/acceptance.

There is no receipt of acceptance of any kind, and (at least the officer I was dealing with) didn't want to sign anything. He did say all these go straight to the person-in-charges desk/stack though.

Hope that helps anyone out!
Where is that located? I know they have a facility downtown in San Jose near the court house.

What was the address of the place where you took it?
Old 02-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
Where is that located? I know they have a facility downtown in San Jose near the court house.

What was the address of the place where you took it?
55 W Younger Ave
San Jose, CA 95110

That's the Sheriff's Administration Building.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
55 W Younger Ave
San Jose, CA 95110

That's the Sheriff's Administration Building.
Thanks! That is the one I was thinking about.

I'll drop mine off there as well then.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:25 PM

I am filling out my application. I do not own the weapon I would eventually be carrying. What do I do on section 3 where it asks you to list your firearms you would by carrying? Do I just write a gun I already own?
Old 02-28-2014, 1:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmardock View Post
I am filling out my application. I do not own the weapon I would eventually be carrying. What do I do on section 3 where it asks you to list your firearms you would by carrying? Do I just write a gun I already own?
Since, currently, SCC requires live-fire qual on any firearm you list, your initial LTC application probably should list a gun you can shoot during training/qualification (i.e. guns you own, due to the S/N requirement).

I believe you can amend your LTC later with changes to the listed firearms, but you will have to live-fire qual that firearm before the amendment is processed.

Someone else out there who already has a SCC LTC might be able to comment directly on this a little more accurately...
Old 03-01-2014, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmardock View Post

I am in a similar position. Assuming a 3 piece limit, I have 2 of the 3 I would like on my LTC. I am trying to determine how difficult it would be to add an additional gun midway through the process.

My hunch is that it wouldn't be an issue to add the third at the time of interview and that with the deluge of applications the SO is receiving I would have plenty of time to acquire said gun. I think getting my app in and my "place in line" secured is the priority.

Now if only CA approved Shields were available...
Old 03-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Would you be able to purchase a firearm through an SSE (Springfield XDS .45) and then put it on your licence even though its not on the roster of approved guns?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Jonny, if people can put their M&P's which are now off roster on their permits, why would you not be able to put your XDs? Just make sure you use a legal magazine (10rd unless pre-ban) and you are fine. I plan to carry my XDM.
Old 03-01-2014, 2:08 PM

Just mailed off my application via certified mail. Hopefully I'll at least get in like for when things do start moving.
Old 03-01-2014, 7:56 PM

Thanks bigred... just wasn't sure so i thought i would ask!
Old 03-03-2014, 9:00 AM
Banned

I dropped off my application at the SC Co Sheriff's HQ on Younger Ave this morning on the way to work.

Unfortunately they said the sergeant who processes these is away for 2 weeks.

So I could not see him. But they asked me to sign it, date it, and they accepted it, saying that I would hear back sometime within the next 6 months as they process all of these.

They said they had been receiving them "every day all day long."

Apparently the word is getting out.

Last edited by hks95134; 03-03-2014 at 9:09 AM..
Old 03-03-2014, 9:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrowley11 View Post
I am in a similar position. Assuming a 3 piece limit, I have 2 of the 3 I would like on my LTC. I am trying to determine how difficult it would be to add an additional gun midway through the process.

My hunch is that it wouldn't be an issue to add the third at the time of interview and that with the deluge of applications the SO is receiving I would have plenty of time to acquire said gun. I think getting my app in and my "place in line" secured is the priority.

Now if only CA approved Shields were available...
It seems to me that it would behoove you to submit a fully completed application.

Therefore it seems to me you should wait to submit your application until you have all the information.

This would including buying an allowed firearm, and then getting the serial number off it, so you can submit your application ASAP while your gun is "in jail."
Old 03-03-2014, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I dropped off my application at the SC Co Sheriff's HQ on Younger Ave this morning on the way to work.

So I could not see him. But they asked me to sign it, date it, and they accepted it, saying that I would hear back sometime within the next 6 months as they process all of these.

Thanks for the update. I'll link to your post from the first post in this thread.

Quote:
If it is NOT on the roster of approved guns (the "list"), then I would logically conclude that you could not have the weapon IN CALIFORNIA.
I wouldn't make that conclusion at all. Off roster guns are perfectly legal to own sell and buy within the state. All the roster does is put restrictions on what one type of sale can include or not (FFL->Private Party). Maybe we can look to other counties in the state and ask CCW license holders if they have an on-roster restriction placed on them?
Old 03-03-2014, 9:45 AM
Administrator

Location: West Oakland, low crawling up on Emeryville and Berkeley.

Quote:
If it is NOT on the roster of approved guns (the "list"), then I would logically conclude that you could not have the weapon IN CALIFORNIA.
And you would be incorrect.

There are many ways to lawfully acquire firearms that are not on the BOF Roster, and a firearm does not need to be on the BOF Roster to be on your LTC.

I have a perfect Burning Man attendance record: zero.

You do know there are more guns in the country than there are in the city.
Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Like who?
Farmers.
Who else?
Farmers' mums.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:12 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

I thought the statue said they had 90 days?
Old 03-03-2014, 11:17 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bmw View Post
I thought the statue said they had 90 days?
I think the fine print is that technically, they are not processing these applications yet, pending the outcome of Peruta and whatever mandate comes down from the CA-9 regarding issue.

If they processed the apps today, they could simply deny everyone on Good Cause under the existing/old rules flat-out, so be happy they are holding onto them at all, imho.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

It appears SCC has revamped its website, and therefore the link to the CCW page has changed.

The new link is here: http://www.sccgov.org/sites/sheriff/Pages/ccw.aspx

The current text reads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concealed Carry Permits (CCW) Published on: 3/27/2014 4:02 PM
Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final.
Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s CCW Unit with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits.
If you are interested in applying for a CCW permit, please complete the application below and submit it either via mail or in person to:

ATTN: CCW Unit
55 W Younger Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110

Currently it takes approximately six months to complete the CCW application process.

If you have any questions, please email CCW@sheriff.sccgov.org. Due to the overwhelming amount of phone calls we have received, we will only be corresponding via email.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:31 PM

Its been a few months, anyone that turned in applications hear anything?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

Nope...

"Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco?"
Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM
some guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by metasys View Post
Its been a few months, anyone that turned in applications hear anything?
From http://www.sccgov.org/sites/sheriff/Pages/ccw.aspx

Quote:
Members of the public wishing to obtain a CCW under the standards recently articulated by the Ninth Circuit in Peruta v. County of San Diego should be aware that the decision has not yet become final.
Federal court rules prescribe a period of time which must elapse before the case is remanded to the District Court for further proceedings.

Applicants that seek a CCW permit under the self-defense standard set forth in Peruta will be processed in the order they are received should the decision of the Ninth Circuit become final. Once the decision becomes final, applicants will be contacted by the Sheriff’s CCW Unit with instructions on how to complete the process.

In order to accommodate, and expedite, the large numbers of anticipated applications, the Sheriff’s Office and County Counsel are currently revising the process for issuing CCW permits.
If you are interested in applying for a CCW permit, please complete the application below and submit it either via mail or in person to:

ATTN: CCW Unit
55 W Younger Avenue
San Jose, CA 95110

Currently it takes approximately six months to complete the CCW application process.

If you have any questions, please email CCW@sheriff.sccgov.org. Due to the overwhelming amount of phone calls we have received, we will only be corresponding via email.
Old 07-31-2014, 2:54 PM

I turned my CCW application in about three months ago and no answer as of yet. Not even a notice that they received it.
Old 07-31-2014, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyN View Post
I turned my CCW application in about three months ago and no answer as of yet. Not even a notice that they received it.
Ditto. The only confirmation I have is the certified mail return receipt I received with their stamp on it.