Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 05-25-2011, 8:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Default AZ CCW Permit Training Requirements - Talked to Margi in AZ DPS

Just received clarification regarding what constitutes valid training for an AZ permit:

1. Another states CCW permit (Utah, Florida, Oregon, etc. are all valid).

2. Completing an NRA course with an NRA certificate signed by an NRA certified instructor.

3. The DPS approved course will only be around until July 20 and must be taught in AZ.

4. Honorable discharge from the military (DD 214).

5. Other items in the statutes as well.

The AZ CCW Unit is talking to the Attorney General's office and other people for clarification for the new bill that goes into effect on July 20, 2011. What I am waiting to receive clarification on is if a Utah or multi-state CCW course taught by an NRA certified instructor but that does not issue an NRA certificate will be accepted as valid proof of training. Margi said it will be posted on the DPS website once they do have clarification. So as it stands right now, you either have to wait for your CCW to arrive from another state and then send in your AZ CCW application or take a separate NRA approved course and send in a copy of that certificate with your AZ CCW application. As I learn more, I will be happy to provide those details. Hope this helps with the questions that have been going on, especially since many people would rather get an AZ permit then have to go through the NV CCW process.

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/
Follow us on Twitter here. YouTube channel available here. Like us on Facebook here. and on Instagram here.
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor / NRA Personal Protection (Inside & Outside) the Home Instructor / Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / Range Safety Officer
UT / FL / VA / OR / AZ CCW Instructor
Semper Fidelis to all my fellow and former Marines!
Ps 144:1
Old 05-25-2011, 8:55 AM

thank you for the update!
Old 05-25-2011, 9:48 AM
Banned

D-Man, what bill are you referring to? Have a number?

Not to muddy the water but as per statute other documents may be approved at the discretion of a supervisor. For example in place of a DD 214 they accepted a copy of my old military ID card.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I forget the actual bill number as Margi said what it was. Old military ID is fine depending on who you talk to. So yes, other documents can be approved. My biggest concern was doing a multi-state CCW class or having to do a separate class to cover AZ for my students as I do not want to do any false advertising or cause them to get their application kicked back because of me.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 AM
Banned

Understood. Don't know if this helps but one of my pals used his Utah permit. He got it from taking a multi-state (UT and FL) class given in CA. The instructor issued a certificate which was not for an NRA course but since the guy who taught it is an NRA instructor that was noted on the certificate. The permit and certificate were later the only items used to obtain an AZ permit. I don't know which carried more weight with DPS but I'm amusing it was the permit. No range work was involved.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:11 AM

Sounds good, my application packet starts it journey to me tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2011, 4:15 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Understood. Don't know if this helps but one of my pals used his Utah permit. He got it from taking a multi-state (UT and FL) class given in CA. The instructor issued a certificate which was not for an NRA course but since the guy who taught it is an NRA instructor that was noted on the certificate. The permit and certificate were later the only items used to obtain an AZ permit. I don't know which carried more weight with DPS but I'm amusing it was the permit. No range work was involved.
As you can see in my original post #1 refers directly to the scenario that you are talking about. Just is a pain to have to wait for your CCW to show up from another state before you apply for the AZ permit when it would be nice to be able to take care of all of them at once.

http://www.5arrowstactical.com/
Follow us on Twitter here. YouTube channel available here. Like us on Facebook here. and on Instagram here.
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor / NRA Personal Protection (Inside & Outside) the Home Instructor / Metallic & Shotgun Reloading / Range Safety Officer
UT / FL / VA / OR / AZ CCW Instructor
Semper Fidelis to all my fellow and former Marines!
Ps 144:1
Old 08-19-2011, 4:58 PM
Veteran Member

Just received my renewal permit. I'm good for another 5yrs in AZ for 43.00 Az is a little slower IMO it took about 4 weeks
Old 08-19-2011, 5:12 PM

Could a CA LTC be used or just other states besides CA?
Old 08-20-2011, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

AZ won't accept a CA LTC for the training requirement. It's all in the other thread.
Old 08-20-2011, 8:32 PM

What NRA courses are sufficient for the training requirement?