Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 01-22-2017, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
Two different situations.

1) Yes, the gun must be unloaded if you take it on school grounds. That has to happen OFF the school grounds.

2) If you are compelled to disarm entirely to go someplace - a courthouse, a post office - locking the handgun up still loaded is permitted.
I did not know either of these. My understanding was (1) Guns aren't allowed in schools AT ALL and (2) Guns locked up in the car must be unloaded ALL THE TIME.

My understanding has been wrong?
Old 01-22-2017, 2:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
I did not know either of these. My understanding was (1) Guns aren't allowed in schools AT ALL and (2) Guns locked up in the car must be unloaded ALL THE TIME.

My understanding has been wrong?
See SkyHawk's summary below. All the PCs have been listed early in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
It is legal for a CCW holder to carry loaded and concealed in the school zone, but not on the school grounds. I see the citation has been provided above.

Otherwise as you say, it would be very complicated, basically ridiculous, for people who live in the school zone. I live 200 feet from a school property line.
Old 01-22-2017, 1:43 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Let's get on thing straight, you CAN carry on school grounds with a valid CA CCW and PERMISSION from the school superintendent (normally not just the principal) or the like. Some schools and school districts in CA have and do give permission!!!!!! So, when trying to properly answer this question, these facts should also be included. Let's cut the "you just can't" and, instead, give the complete and proper answer.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 01-22-2017, 1:49 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockedandglocked View Post
You'd have to ask the school where their property line is - but they'll probably ask why you want to know. Might be able to look up the boundaries in public records.

In most places (but probably not all), I believe sidewalks are public property. Which, from what I understand, is the primary reason you see so many people standing around with headphones holding a sign for a local restaurant, because they're not allowed to just prop a sign there.
Since the "school" is not a licensed surveyor, the "school" really can't legally tell you where any property lines are. In "most places" improvements such as sidewalks, fences, etc. are not exactly on legal property lines. In fact, the real property lines can be 30 or more feet behind the sidewalk or extend to the centerline of the road. There is no way to know exactly where any property line is without a survey. I will say that most GIS sites are pretty good and most lines are within a foot but, I've seen some lines that were 20-50 feet off. As far as sidewalks go, most are within the public right of way but, again, many on actually on private property (normally there is an easement but, the fact is that legally speaking, they are on private property).
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 01-22-2017, 1:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
The 'physical grounds' exception was removed effective 1/1/16 (or was it '15?)
1/1/2016... law was signed in 2015
SB707

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
A just gov't will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just gov't. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDub1950 View Post
See SkyHawk's summary below. All the PCs have been listed early in this thread.
I appreciate the attempt to clarify, but your response does not address what I was referring to.

I was referring to Librarian's comment on POST #36 of this thread. He mentioned some things I was not aware of.

I thought:

(1) Guns were not allowed on School grounds AT ALL (unless you are exempt or if you have permission). Apparently you can have a gun at school grounds if you are not exempt and don't have permission. It just has to be unloaded and locked in the car. --- is this true?

(2) I thought all firearms must always be UNLOADED if they are stored in the car. A loaded firearm that is locked up in the car is apparently ok. -- is this true?

Last edited by caliberetta; 01-22-2017 at 11:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2017, 2:31 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliberetta View Post
I appreciate the attempt to clarify, but your response does not address what I was referring to.

I was referring to Librarian's comment on POST #36 of this thread. He mentioned some things I was not aware of.

I thought:

(1) Guns were not allowed on School grounds AT ALL (unless you are exempt or if you have permission). Apparently you can have a gun at school grounds if you are not exempt and don't have permission. It just has to be unloaded and locked in the car. --- is this true?

(2) I thought all firearms must always be UNLOADED if they are stored in the car. A loaded firearm that is locked up in the car is apparently ok. -- is this true?
1) CCW used to be exempt. It is not, after the bill. BUT that bill allowed locked, unloaded on K-12 campus.

2) That was contentious before; I could not find anything to require unloaded, but others were persuaded the other way. Law changed - OK now.

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Last edited by Librarian; 01-23-2017 at 1:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-23-2017, 2:41 AM

^^ Crystal Clear now -- very helpful, thank you!