Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 02-20-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal10 View Post
Check your livescan submittal form, there are three boxes checked off, DOJ,FBI and firearms clearance.
Ah I see, that makes sense then. I haven't gotten my LiveScan yet.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwolff View Post
In fact I don't see the FBI mentioned anywhere in the entire PC. The DoJ background is just going to be criminal records. I asked my aunt who has worked in the police department for a decade and she says the LiveScan to the DoJ just shows arrests and things where your fingerprints were obtained, it's not as in depth as the FBI could provide.
If you committed a crime outside of the state the FBI would have record of it whereas the state may not.
Old 02-20-2015, 3:48 PM

So from what I hear it sounds that the process in Upland is what the process is supposed to look like if a LE agency actually follows the law instead of adding all those extra hoops to jump through like other agencies do.

I actually suspect that some of the other agencies have complicated processes in order to justify keeping a couple of extra deputies or detectives on the payroll.

Someone mentioned a cost of $105. Is that the total cost? If so, that's pretty close to the maximum allowed cost of $100, and kudos to Upland!

Last edited by Nopal; 02-20-2015 at 3:51 PM..
Old 02-20-2015, 4:07 PM
CGN Contributor

I'm guessing $105 is for the the livescan, not sure if they charge another fee when picking up the permit. I know the sherriffs class is an additional $100 at sbsd range, and $125 at avgc.
Old 02-23-2015, 8:01 AM

Well, I guess that you can't quite have it all in Southern Ca. just yet. Still, kudos to Upland for just getting things done right.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Hey guys, some great news! I was approved! Pending my course/range completion and LiveScan. I will be scheduling both of those ASAP. Here is my timeline so far:

2/17/15 - First contact with Upland PD. Scheduled an interview for 2/19.
2/19/15 - Interviewed with Lt. Matthews, it lasted around 5 minutes.
2/23/15 - Received call with approval for CCW pending LiveScan and course. This was only 2 business days after the interview.

A word on the course: I was told they only offer the 8 hour course once a quarter, so I should schedule the course very quickly. This explains why cid' was given the range date so far out. If the class is full it will be a big setback, pushing the rest of the process back another 3 months.

I wouldn't think of complaining though. The process has been unbelievably simple. I prepared for this process a couple years and in one week, everything I knew about the process completely changed and I'm well on my way to my CCW. I encourage everyone in Upland to apply!

Some background about me: I am 23, my gc was related to my family's business. I have a couple speeding tickets in the last 5 years. Still approved.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:23 PM
CGN Contributor

Fyi, the sherriffs class is at least twice a month (once at sbsd facility, once at avgc). I don't know if they limit the "students" from outside sherriffs dept. To once a quarter, but that sounds like FUD. I would guess it's more likely that the upcoming classes are simply already full.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM

I hope that's the case, but I believe the class she is referring to is different than the county course. She very specifically said it is only offered once a quarter. Maybe cid can give us more insight since he has already registered for it.
Old 02-23-2015, 1:37 PM

On my approval, Luz from UPD is the one who mentioned that its offered once a quarter.

Upon speaking with Det. Logan, she asked me specifically, "Upland" then said i'd be attending the MAR 21st class

I am thinking the course has some specifics to it aside from the 8 hours, as to why its offered "less frequently"
Old 02-23-2015, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cid` View Post
On my approval, Luz from UPD is the one who mentioned that its offered once a quarter.

Upon speaking with Det. Logan, she asked me specifically, "Upland" then said i'd be attending the MAR 21st class

I am thinking the course has some specifics to it aside from the 8 hours, as to why its offered "less frequently"

I doubt that. Same county same state and State law supersedes. Now if there were certain restrictions that Upland put as an IA that would be different but likely covered in your paperwork rather than having SBSO deputies learn about Upland.

I'd bet it has much more to do with scheduling. There are tons of people going through the county and and the process is much longer. If somebody is waiting 9 months then they'll likely bump you a month out etc to get their own applicants through first.

Just my opinion though. Someone should ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2015, 2:17 PM
CGN Contributor

I agree with voodoo, they probably only set aside a certain number of spots for people coming from outside agencies, and perhaps only do that once a quarter. The class is no different. Someone in my class in December came through upland pd. You have to realize that everyone that has gone through sbsd has waited 6 months or so from first call till the class. So they probably try to get them through first.
Old 02-23-2015, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daydrmr999 View Post
You have to realize that everyone that has gone through sbsd has waited 6 months or so from first call till the class. So they probably try to get them through first.
This makes sense.
Old 02-23-2015, 7:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:

When they gave you the date for the class did you ask if there were other dates sooner?

The barber told me he went to AVGC because he was able to get in sooner.

For great pizza @ LA Farmer's Markets click on picture

Old 02-24-2015, 11:18 AM

For those who have been approved, does the good cause requirement seem to be along the same lines as the county guidelines?
Old 02-24-2015, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip View Post
For those who have been approved, does the good cause requirement seem to be along the same lines as the county guidelines?
I would say so. Mine was even a little work related. And I was approved.
Old 02-24-2015, 7:24 PM

I didn't even ask.. I guess I took whatever, as being ecstatic about the approval!

AVGC woulda been fine too since I am up in apple/hesp/vv all the time to see customers.

gwolff is gonna ask about the times/delay/availability when he talkst o Det Logan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
When they gave you the date for the class did you ask if there were other dates sooner?

The barber told me he went to AVGC because he was able to get in sooner.
Old 02-25-2015, 7:25 PM

Det. Logan didn't seem to think there was any difference between classes offered to Upland candidates and sbc. The earliest appt in Devore was April 11th, the earliest at AVGC was one week earlier, April 4th.

My LiveScan is March 11th, my Range date is April 11th at Devore.

Timeline so far:

2/17/15 - First contact with Upland PD. Scheduled an interview for 2/19.
2/19/15 - Interviewed with Lt. Matthews, it lasted around 5 minutes.
2/23/15 - Received call with approval for CCW pending LiveScan and course. This was only 2 business days after the interview.
2/24/15 - Scheduled LiveScan for 3/11/15, CCW class for 4/11/15

Last edited by gwolff; 02-25-2015 at 8:06 PM..
Old 02-28-2015, 12:50 AM

Hey guys I can confirm that in my class at Devore on the 21st of this month, we had 2 guys from Upland there. They were sitting right in front of me. I couldn't believe how fast their process through Upland was. I live in Upland and I applied through SBSO and it took me 6 months!!! I wish I would have known! Good news is I'm done and just have to wait for call to pick up CCW. I just wanted to confirm that we did have two Upland CCW applicants in our class last Saturday.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:55 PM

Does anyone know the name of the course? Is it an NRA course? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2015, 1:15 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINR8 View Post
It is just the san bernardino sherriffs ccw class. Not an NRA course.
Old 03-03-2015, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INCINR8 View Post

No not an NRA course. Not associated with any schooling or any other type of credits either.

The course is an SBSO course developed by them. It is pretty much a CYA. The only shooting is the safely shoot 10 rounds from 3 or 5 yards shoot. The 8 hours is classroom and probably 90% of that is about law and when to use your weapon and what to do if you must pull it etc. You get a little bit of different holsters and clothing and that kind of stuff. You get zero tactical advice or shooting instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2015, 4:30 PM

Just curious now..

Anyone with an upland issued ccw, are their policies with changing guns on the permit the same as the county?

Was thinking of picking up a subcompact and wanted to add that..

Any info would be awesome!
Old 03-10-2015, 5:29 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Just curious now..

Anyone with an upland issued ccw, are their policies with changing guns on the permit the same as the county?

Was thinking of picking up a subcompact and wanted to add that..

Any info would be awesome!
From what the barber told me they have a pretty easy policy on what guns you could have on your permit. I did say too that he could add (only listed 2 originally) or change without a problem. He did seem to rember that there would be a nominal processing fee; like $25-30.

Old 03-10-2015, 8:19 AM

Default My 2 cents

I was able to get one from the County of San Bernardino. My process took 4 months. Talking to others that did it in the past, that was not to long. Everyone at San Bernardino was great and supportive.

Reason for this post. I did my County Approved training with SB County in Feb this year. One person in our class was going through the process with Upland. He stated once done he brings his completion to Upland police and picks up his Permit. I was kind of surprised (and happy) that a city was issuing out permits. Most in the class, to include the instructors were surprised as well.
Old 03-10-2015, 8:47 AM

About 6 guys in the CCW class at the Apple Valley Gun Club this weekend were from upland.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-10-2015, 2:09 PM

Awesome news! My LiveScan at Upland PD is tomorrow afternoon.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:17 PM

Quote:
From what the barber told me they have a pretty easy policy on what guns you could have on your permit. I did say too that he could add (only listed 2 originally) or change without a problem. He did seem to rember that there would be a nominal processing fee; like $25-30.

Nice!! soon as I get the permit and pick up my other 2 pieces, I'll add and let you guys know exactly.

Thank you again for creating this thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreptitious View Post
About 6 guys in the CCW class at the Apple Valley Gun Club this weekend were from upland.
Thats pretty awesome, thanks for the news.. glad the city i really wanted/chose to live in turned out to be this way so quickly.
Old 03-11-2015, 5:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Nice!! soon as I get the permit and pick up my other 2 pieces, I'll add and let you guys know exactly.

Thank you again for creating this thread!

Thats pretty awesome, thanks for the news.. glad the city i really wanted/chose to live in turned out to be this way so quickly.
You're welcome. I'm glad to help.

My wife and I are looking to buy a house again. The banks have said we can spend one dollar amount and I have a dollar amount I want to spend. If I spend what I want to spend I won't be able to buy in Upland. If I spend what the banks say I can spend I might be able to buy in Upland.

We have about 10 houses to look at this weekend and only 1 in Upland. Most are in Ontario with a couple in Chino and Montclair. Looks like I will probably be going through the county.

Old 03-11-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. I'm glad to help.

My wife and I are looking to buy a house again. The banks have said we can spend one dollar amount and I have a dollar amount I want to spend. If I spend what I want to spend I won't be able to buy in Upland. If I spend what the banks say I can spend I might be able to buy in Upland.

We have about 10 houses to look at this weekend and only 1 in Upland. Most are in Ontario with a couple in Chino and Montclair. Looks like I will probably be going through the county.

Bummer!! Well hopefully you can find something, esp if you're not in a rush, since spring/summer are coming and people move the most..

I rented here for like 4 years, then bought a place 3 years ago.. i swear i still remember it like yesterday, my realtor (friends grandpa) showed me like 40+ houses.. i was super picky about what we wanted, verizon fios, 4 bed, 2-3 car garage, between 16-25, mountain to campus, haha
Old 03-11-2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Bummer!! Well hopefully you can find something, esp if you're not in a rush, since spring/summer are coming and people move the most..

I rented here for like 4 years, then bought a place 3 years ago.. i swear i still remember it like yesterday, my realtor (friends grandpa) showed me like 40+ houses.. i was super picky about what we wanted, verizon fios, 4 bed, 2-3 car garage, between 16-25, mountain to campus, haha
You sound exactly like me. Between 16-25th, lol. I guess the colonies actually is East of campus though. I looked at places in Rancho but Upland is just all around much nicer, less industrial, a way better place to live. I used to live in downtown on D street, it was my first place.

I didn't get my Fios here, but I have 100Mbps cable. TWC is stepping up their game in the area because of Fios.
Old 03-11-2015, 6:30 PM

haha, TWC was so behind.. i was off Mountain/19th, and had twc for the first year, then switched to fios, after moving, i kept fios, 150/150 right now for $100/mo

I feel rancho is busy and unfortunately has a lot of "bros" out there. I like living by older people, super quiet with well kept homes and friendly
Old 03-11-2015, 10:04 PM

I'm paying 54.99 for 100/10. At work Ive got Fios 150/150 for 185/month. Upland is definitely nicer.

I completed the Live Scan today. The lady told me they usually get DoJ AND FBI results back in 48 hours. Very different than what I've heard on the forums.

The Cadet who scanned me was really friendly. He said upland had been issuing for a while, but at first no one applied. Not surprising since everyone just went straight to county. I told him now that word was out on the forums they can expect a lot more applicants. He asked if I got on calguns haha. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds this thread.

My class is April 11th, time is passing so slowly!

Quote:
haha, TWC was so behind.. i was off Mountain/19th, and had twc for the first year, then switched to fios, after moving, i kept fios, 150/150 right now for $100/mo

I feel rancho is busy and unfortunately has a lot of "bros" out there. I like living by older people, super quiet with well kept homes and friendly
Old 03-11-2015, 11:40 PM

dont know how long that "while" has been for.. I applied in oct 2013.. got denied, but was interviewed by a detective, who was the one who veto'd me. this time around it was the chief, so had to have been within the year span that they started issuing. I wonder if it was related to peruta at all at this point?
Old 03-12-2015, 7:42 AM

Yeah I wish we could get all these answers without feeling like we're prying for information when talking to people at the department.
Old 03-12-2015, 7:48 AM

Quote:
I'm paying 54.99 for 100/10. At work Ive got Fios 150/150 for 185/month. Upland is definitely nicer.

I completed the Live Scan today. The lady told me they usually get DoJ AND FBI results back in 48 hours. Very different than what I've heard on the forums.

The Cadet who scanned me was really friendly. He said upland had been issuing for a while, but at first no one applied. Not surprising since everyone just went straight to county. I told him now that word was out on the forums they can expect a lot more applicants. He asked if I got on calguns haha. Wouldn't be surprised if he finds this thread.

Exactly! It looks like other agencies are asking for a Firearms Eligibility Certificate or some other non-standard (non-automated) stuff from the DOJ, which is why it takes forever. In reality, there are much better and faster ways to meet the requirements of the law, just like Upland seems to be doing.

Others agencies also personally check sources, contact employers, and generally do all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the law.

The reality is that the process can be very fast and painless if the issuing agency wants it to be.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:02 AM

Default Upland has a new Police Chief

Upland has a new Police Chief Capt. Brian P. Johnson (LAPD Veteran).

He starts April 20th.

Better get in now, while you can. Before some changes happen?!

I wonder how this will change things for the CCW process @ Upland PD.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/governm...w-police-chief

NRA + SAF + CRPA Member
CGF & CGN/CGSSA Contributor WEGC Member

Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

Actually, those are average time lines for DOJ and FBI. It's the firearms check that takes weeks, no matter who you're applying with.

I yet to hear of anyone getting their permit in three weeks like the thread title says.
Old 03-17-2015, 6:58 PM

3 weeks definitely isn't happening since the wait for the class is over a month. but it took me 3 weeks to go through the rest of the process (minus the confirmed return of the background check). For the record, I didn't even bring in my firearms to the department, so I'm not positive they're doing a firearms check. We will see how long it takes from the time I complete the class till picking up my permit.
Old 03-18-2015, 8:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
3 weeks definitely isn't happening since the wait for the class is over a month. but it took me 3 weeks to go through the rest of the process (minus the confirmed return of the background check). For the record, I didn't even bring in my firearms to the department, so I'm not positive they're doing a firearms check. We will see how long it takes from the time I complete the class till picking up my permit.
The firearms check is a check on you, not your guns. It's part of the LiveScan process. It's separate from the DOJ and FBI results and is has been typically taking between 6-12 weeks.

It's talked about a lot in the Orange County threads and other CCW threads if you want to find out more about it.

Old 03-20-2015, 1:27 PM

I'm in upland going to get the app next week!