Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 10-17-2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
IDK, maybe alternate rounds? 2 x bird shot, 2 x 00 Buck, 1 Slug. Drop the shotgun unless it has a bayonet, switch to the 45....
Don't do this, it's called "cocktailing" in weapons, and while sometimes someone online will tout it's usefulness, I have never heard a professional trainer espouse its usefulness.

Firearms skills is a martial art, repetition creates muscle memory, repetition with the same round creates understanding of how a certain round (ie. buckshot) will pattern over different ranges. But if you've got your SG stuffed with IDK what's next, especially under stress, it may cause more harm than good.

There is a technique of stuffing SG with 00 buck and keeping a couple slugs on a sidesaddle, but this technique of shell-selection should be introduced by a livetrainer, and not online.
Old 10-17-2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Don't do this, it's called "cocktailing" in weapons, and while sometimes someone online will tout it's usefulness, I have never heard a professional trainer espouse its usefulness.

Firearms skills is a martial art, repetition creates muscle memory, repetition with the same round creates understanding of how a certain round (ie. buckshot) will pattern over different ranges. But if you've got your SG stuffed with IDK what's next, especially under stress, it may cause more harm than good.

There is a technique of stuffing SG with 00 buck and keeping a couple slugs on a sidesaddle, but this technique of shell-selection should be introduced by a livetrainer, and not online.
Duly noted, thank you. That's why I mostly started this thread. I wanted to find a place to shoot a couple hundred rounds of 00 Buck at ranges like 10 and 20 yards.

Firearms are definitely a martial art. I have the most in swords, then my 45. Zero on my new shotgun. Gotta go shoot it a lot! Gotta go to classes!
Old 10-17-2020, 4:34 PM

Default Where 2 shoot shot guns?"???.

At random zombies roaming the Streets of San Francisco? J/K
Old 10-17-2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore4sure View Post
Only if said zombies are not members of a protracted class. In SF, that pretty much means open season on old white males.
Old 10-17-2020, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardcore4sure View Post
You know that question depends on what kind of zombies.

Slow zombies: save your ammo. Bayonet and swords good.

Fast zombies: shotguns, your ARs, then your spare gun, then your other spare gun, then swords.

Fast zombies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrAToeKGq0E
Old 10-17-2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friesland View Post
Tagged for later review
Sweet. If anyone wants to go out there to form our own "private group", they said we can do anything we want to from their offerings for $150 each if we have 3 or more people in our group.

Last edited by ucbhills; 10-17-2020 at 9:52 PM.. Reason: misspelling corrected.
Old 10-18-2020, 8:25 PM

OP I think coyotes sporting clays minimum barrel length is actually 22", you might be able to that length with an extended choke. As for local training, check out alpha dog tactical, runs classes out of field sports park if usually, unfortunately all classes are postponed due to covid http://www.alphadogtactical.com/schedule.html
Old 10-18-2020, 8:27 PM

Unfortunately practical shooting is pretty limited in the bay area, shotgun even morr so, maybe expand your search into search sacramento area since your up in the east bay anyways
Old 10-18-2020, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Looks like a lil slice of heaven! I'll check it out, @Nvberinger ! Thanks much!
Your welcome. If your ever in Las Vegas, their outdoor county shooting complex is massive.
Old 10-18-2020, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS77 View Post
OP I think coyotes sporting clays minimum barrel length is actually 22", you might be able to that length with an extended choke. As for local training, check out alpha dog tactical, runs classes out of field sports park if usually, unfortunately all classes are postponed due to covid http://www.alphadogtactical.com/schedule.html
Thanks @TS77 ! The alphadogtactical classes look nice and not too far away. Hope things start to open up more around here, especially in the outside ranges before it gets cold. And thanks for the tip on barrel length too!
Old 10-18-2020, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately practical shooting is pretty limited in the bay area, shotgun even morr so, maybe expand your search into search sacramento area since your up in the east bay anyways
Good idea thanks! I wonder what it would take to start up a shotgun competition league, or whatever you might need to call it. If a revue already has competition practice or matches for handguns going, why not try to get it extended for more hours or another day to have shotgun competition too?

If they can have "Thursday Night Trap League" (in Livermore) and Steel Challenge in 2+ locations I've checked, why isn't there a lot of demand for more tactical shotgun games and practice?
Old 10-18-2020, 10:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Default ><

ubchills----you have found yourself in the same common predicament as others who buy their first shotgun in a HD configuration. Limited places to to shoot or practice in the Bay Area.

The good news---- you learn to shoot a shotgun on a clays range. Once you learn to be a decent shot on a clays range you will find that the HD/ Tac training will be a lot easier. Since you already have the shooting phase under your belt and know how to shoot, you can focus on the other stuff they teach.

Metcalf shooting range in San Jose allows any Calif legal shotgun shoulder mounted, to be used on their Trap and Skeet range......Check to see if that is still the policy
Old 10-19-2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
ubchills----you have found yourself in the same common predicament as others who buy their first shotgun in a HD configuration. Limited places to to shoot or practice in the Bay Area.

The good news---- you learn to shoot a shotgun on a clays range. Once you learn to be a decent shot on a clays range you will find that the HD/ Tac training will be a lot easier. Since you already have the shooting phase under your belt and know how to shoot, you can focus on the other stuff they teach.

Metcalf shooting range in San Jose allows any Calif legal shotgun shoulder mounted, to be used on their Trap and Skeet range......Check to see if that is still the policy
Thank you @Thefeeder. What you wrote is a decent summary of this thread altho I wish there was a LOT more in this area instead of having to go into Nevada or a couple hours east. Guess I'll have to try a little of both, can't exactly go into Nevada to just shoot every month unless you are very dedicated.
Old 10-19-2020, 9:59 PM

Quote:

If they can have "Thursday Night Trap League" (in Livermore) and Steel Challenge in 2+ locations I've checked, why isn't there a lot of demand for more tactical shotgun games and practice?
There used to be a lot of 3Gun action back at Chabot, but it's gone now.

To have tactical games,both need space and competent event/safety crews, and also insurance.

Richmond used to have IDPA, no idea what they have now.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:45 PM

^ this, we have a lack of multiple-bay ranges, getting enough land for anotger range or even expansion would cost inordinate amounts of money, even if the politics were more favorable here.

Loss of chabot was a tragedy
Old 10-20-2020, 12:02 AM

Quote:
^ this, we have a lack of multiple-bay ranges, getting enough land for anotger range or even expansion would cost inordinate amounts of money, even if the politics were more favorable here.

Loss of chabot was a tragedy
I haven't shot at Chabot since maybe 2009ish(?). And that was the last time I have shot since very recently. Yes, a tragedy. When I heard they had to close, I was very sad. Unfortunately was too busy at the time to go there for one last time to say goodbye.
Old 10-20-2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post

Metcalf Trap and Skeet is currently closed for repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro