Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2020, 8:34 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Where do you shoot your shotguns in the Bay Area?

Apologies if this has been answered recently, but I didn't find anything searching.

So where do you shoot your shotguns in the Bay Area? I'm not experienced enough for traps, or "fun league traps", etc. I just want to take the new shotgun to the range and shoot a variety of ammo at something like 10 and 20 yard distances so I have experience with the new gun.

Thanks much!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:03 PM
CWL's Avatar
CWL CWL is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 797
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Reed's indoor range in Santa Clara. They have 25-yard lanes.

BTW, it's just "trap", there is no "s". For trap and clay games, there's Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in Morgan Hill, but you'll need to go with an experienced shooter and have at least 28" length barrels on your gun.

Both these places sell ammo.
__________________
Vae Victis
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:17 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
Reed's indoor range in Santa Clara. They have 25-yard lanes.

BTW, it's just "trap", there is no "s". For trap and clay games, there's Coyote Valley Sporting Clays in Morgan Hill, but you'll need to go with an experienced shooter and have at least 28" length barrels on your gun.

Both these places sell ammo.
Thank you on the clarification on trap. I guess I don't quality. I have a 21" barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:26 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

^ Sorry, you also said Reed's. I will check that out. Thanks @CWL !
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:26 PM
Imageview Imageview is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 285
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Reeds range is open again, if you show up early it's easy to get in. There are a few places in the East Bay if that works better for you.

I'd take a lesson for clays if I were you, and then just get practice in with one of the clay disciplines, whichever sounds most fun. You'll be hitting moving targets your first time out, and progressing so much faster. Coyote Clays has good instructors who will get you off to a great start. The fundamentals you get right at the start mean less to unlearn later.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:36 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageview View Post
Reeds range is open again, if you show up early it's easy to get in. There are a few places in the East Bay if that works better for you.

I'd take a lesson for clays if I were you, and then just get practice in with one of the clay disciplines, whichever sounds most fun. You'll be hitting moving targets your first time out, and progressing so much faster. Coyote Clays has good instructors who will get you off to a great start. The fundamentals you get right at the start mean less to unlearn later.
Thanks much for the info! I'm in the Oakland/Berkeley area and used to shoot at the Chabot Gun Club in Castro Valley before it closed, but have also shot at the Richmond Range. Closer to that area preferred, but willing to drive for experience. Thanks for the suggestion for clays. Duly noted!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-15-2020, 9:40 PM
ddragos's Avatar
ddragos ddragos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I shot my KSG (18.5" barrel) at Santa Clara field sports County Park at the rifle 50 yards range - they let you do it as long as you're shooting slugs, and it's fairly cheap - 6$ for two hours, can't get better than that!
Agree with Imageview on this one - having an instructor helped me tremendously - talk to Wayne Summers at Coyote Clays for a Tactical shotgun class.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragos View Post
I shot my KSG (18.5" barrel) at Santa Clara field sports County Park at the rifle 50 yards range - they let you do it as long as you're shooting slugs, and it's fairly cheap - 6$ for two hours, can't get better than that!
Agree with Imageview on this one - having an instructor helped me tremendously - talk to Wayne Summers at Coyote Clays for a Tactical shotgun class.
Thank you, @ddragos ! $6 is fantastic! I checked a range closer to me with a rifle range and it is $25 each no matter how many you have.
Unclear if they will let you set up targets at say 10 and 20 yards. And they are very poor at answering their phones or returning calls.

Not sure I'm ready for slugs yet. I want to just put a few hundred rounds through the gun with 00 Buck.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:13 PM
ddragos's Avatar
ddragos ddragos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
I want to just put a few hundred rounds through the gun with 00 Buck.
Then neither Coyote Clays (max 7.5 shot) nor the Field Sports park (slugs only) will let you do that :-(
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:18 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragos View Post
Then neither Coyote Clays (max 7.5 shot) nor the Field Sports park (slugs only) will let you do that :-(
Guess I need to go eastwards toward Yosemite or into Nevada for a tactical shotgun class. Thanks much for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:20 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've been looking at this: https://weaponstrainingschool.com/courses

2 hours east from me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-15-2020, 10:30 PM
ddragos's Avatar
ddragos ddragos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: San Jose
Posts: 22
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Guess I need to go eastwards toward Yosemite or into Nevada for a tactical shotgun class. Thanks much for the info.
Sorry, I wasn't clear:
- Coyote clays won't let you shoot bigger than 7.5 shot at their trap, skeet, or sporting clays stations; they will let you shoot whatever you want at the patterning boards, and will let you shoot whatever you want at the cowboy range if and only if you do it while taking a (tactical shotgun) class
- Santa Clara fields sports part won't let you shoot anything but slugs at their 50 yds and 100 yds rifle ranges, but may (don't know for sure, you need to ask) let you shoot 00 buck at their trap or skeet stations.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-15-2020, 11:50 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddragos View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear:
- Coyote clays won't let you shoot bigger than 7.5 shot at their trap, skeet, or sporting clays stations; they will let you shoot whatever you want at the patterning boards, and will let you shoot whatever you want at the cowboy range if and only if you do it while taking a (tactical shotgun) class
- Santa Clara fields sports part won't let you shoot anything but slugs at their 50 yds and 100 yds rifle ranges, but may (don't know for sure, you need to ask) let you shoot 00 buck at their trap or skeet stations.

Thank you for the clarifications. I spent a few mins on the Coyote Clays website and it seems like the Cowboy Range has two main offerings:
1. Cowboy Action Shooting Club, the outfits are are kinda cool and interesting
2. Steel Challenge: limited to handgun ammo and rifles that shoot handgun ammo. I would expect to see a lotta race guns there.

I will email Wayne Summers to see if there is something like a Tactical shotgun class.

I'm primarily interested in what is called Practical Shotgun classes and competition, which is what they call it in the UK. Perhaps they don't have anything like that here.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-16-2020, 1:16 AM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

As someone who hasn't had the privilege to participate in something like this yet, it looks like more of a blast then any other thing I've done in shooting!!!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyGymwWNlCo
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-16-2020, 3:49 AM
tanks's Avatar
tanks tanks is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,519
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
As someone who hasn't had the privilege to participate in something like this yet, it looks like more of a blast then any other thing I've done in shooting!!!:
...
UK bans handguns and semi-auto sporting rifles so it is 3 gun lite with shotgun only.
__________________
... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full. - John Alfred Jordan
"A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-16-2020, 8:07 AM
RNE228 RNE228 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,747
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Birds Landing is nice. Only been once a year ago for Sporting Clays. They had trap/skeet/5-stand too, along with a Pro shop.

It was a bit of a drive from Placerville; looks like an hour or so out from general Bay Area?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:49 AM
Imageview Imageview is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 285
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Richmond rod and gun has trap and skeet but require steel shot. I've never shot there but looks like you can fire shotguns on the handgun/rifle range, not sure if it is slugs only.

San Leandro allows shotguns on the 50, but again slugs only.

Reeds had a defensive shotgun class, but I'm sure it is cancelled currently.

Dublin guns fishing and other stuff and elite armory in Tracy indoor ranges are open I believe, not sure of their ammo restrictions but that's probably your best bet for what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-16-2020, 2:17 PM
JagerDog's Avatar
JagerDog JagerDog is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,996
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Basically no one "practices" with 100's of rounds of buckshot. Some buck to check patterning/functioning, but 99% of practice involves birdshot.

Buck will tear up the patterning board at Coyote. No bueno.

Reeds would be a good choice. I think there's some other indoor ranges around too. Guns, fishing and other stuff???

Clay target ranges basically limit to #7.5 shot. Buck carries too far.
__________________
You know it's cold outside when the socialists have their hands in their own pockets



#Blackolivesmatter
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-16-2020, 2:55 PM
pythonfan pythonfan is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Mountain view
Posts: 1,734
iTrader: 87 / 100%
Default

At metcalf you can rent a 50 or 100 yard spot, shoot a few slugs, then walk down to the end where they have a pattern board and a 100 yard steel plate hanger. There you can shoot bird shot, buck, or slugs. It is standing only. Just ask politely and they will show you what to do to be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-16-2020, 3:11 PM
JagerDog's Avatar
JagerDog JagerDog is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,996
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonfan View Post
At metcalf you can rent a 50 or 100 yard spot, shoot a few slugs, then walk down to the end where they have a pattern board and a 100 yard steel plate hanger. There you can shoot bird shot, buck, or slugs. It is standing only. Just ask politely and they will show you what to do to be safe.
I thought they did. North end.
__________________
You know it's cold outside when the socialists have their hands in their own pockets



#Blackolivesmatter
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-16-2020, 6:42 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Basically no one "practices" with 100's of rounds of buckshot. Some buck to check patterning/functioning, but 99% of practice involves birdshot.

Buck will tear up the patterning board at Coyote. No bueno.

Reeds would be a good choice. I think there's some other indoor ranges around too. Guns, fishing and other stuff???

Clay target ranges basically limit to #7.5 shot. Buck carries too far.
Sigh. I don't see how I can use it for home defense without firing hundreds of rounds of buckshot if that's what is gonna be loaded for home defense. I need to know what the patterns are at say 10 and 20 yards with different brands of ammo. I've fired roughly 2500 rounds through my 45 so I'm slightly used to it. I know it mostly feeds everything, etc.

Sounds like it is mainly clays and trap around here. I really didn't anticipate much of any of this. Guess I should have done this research beforehand. Do you think I will be allowed to shoot clays and trap (with the proper ammo of course) with a semi-auto, 21" barrel? Guess if I have to buy another shotgun to participate in these activities, I will.

Would it be impossible to setup Practical Shotgun matches around here? My poor assumption was that we would have something similar to that around here as people do 3 Gun in this country.

Thanks much for all the suggestions guys.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-16-2020, 7:25 PM
Imageview Imageview is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 285
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

The indoor ranges will definitely work for patterning and getting used to function.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-16-2020, 8:32 PM
dilbert40 dilbert40 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 54
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Hi OP, if you are complete beginner (presuming from your join date), I would suggest that you take gun safety (trigger, muzzle discipline and handling) training from an instructor or class first. If you are just new to shotgun, then you may want to make a reservation at Los Altos Rod and Gun club that open to public Thursday ~Sunday. Outdoor, and you could go do pistol/gun range (may allows shotgun on paper), tin-can allley- 15, 25 yards for paper, and 40 yard (tin can only), 100 yard++ rifle range, and separate trap area. You could use whatever shell you want, except at the trap. At trap, only bird shot 7.5 or higher. Check their web site, I may not have all the details right (typing from memory).
If you are going, make sure you bring metal cans (start saving) with you. A lot more fun than shooting paper or plastic water bottles (all must be brought with you).

You may enjoy outdoor with less echo and fresh air.

Last edited by dilbert40; 10-16-2020 at 8:40 PM.. Reason: Some info corrected.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-16-2020, 8:42 PM
tanks's Avatar
tanks tanks is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,519
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
...Do you think I will be allowed to shoot clays and trap (with the proper ammo of course) with a semi-auto, 21" barrel? Guess if I have to buy another shotgun to participate in these activities, I will...
Every place I know of is pretty strict about the barrel length.

One of these models will work pretty well if wanting a semi-auto.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/
__________________
... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full. - John Alfred Jordan
"A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:29 PM
SandHill's Avatar
SandHill SandHill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,831
iTrader: 30 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Sigh. I don't see how I can use it for home defense without firing hundreds of rounds of buckshot if that's what is gonna be loaded for home defense. I need to know what the patterns are at say 10 and 20 yards with different brands of ammo. I've fired roughly 2500 rounds through my 45 so I'm slightly used to it. I know it mostly feeds everything, etc.

Sounds like it is mainly clays and trap around here. I really didn't anticipate much of any of this. Guess I should have done this research beforehand. Do you think I will be allowed to shoot clays and trap (with the proper ammo of course) with a semi-auto, 21" barrel? Guess if I have to buy another shotgun to participate in these activities, I will.
Los Altos Rod and Gun Club for the win, OP! You can now shoot any legal barrel length there (i.e. 18 inches or more). They have manual trap (spring loaded launchers) electronic trap (machine throws it for you) and wait for it, a tin can range. On the trap ranges they only allow shot sizes between 7.5 and 9, like most places, but they do allow short barrels. The tin can range is what it sounds like. You can't pattern, but you can shoot buckshot, slugs or birdshot and you can once again use short barrels. It's a 40 yard range.

Los Altos increased their entry fee due to Covid. It is now $29 for three hours. Still not a bad deal. You can shoot a couple hundred rounds of trap, bring your own clays from Walmart and it works out cheaper than most places where you pay by the round. Then you can stop by the rifle or pistol ranges while you are there. Or, if your shoulder isn't hurting yet, follow up with a hundred rounds or so of buckshot on the tin can range (better you than me on that last part!). Manual trap looks out over a wooded valley and is a very pretty setting.
__________________
Roza Shanina and Mosin-Nagant. Two of the finest flowers Mother Russia ever conceived. Unfortunately, only one was mass produced.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:36 PM
Catch's Avatar
Catch Catch is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 1,269
iTrader: 55 / 100%
Default

I believe coyote clays wants a 26-28" barrel minimum. Across the freeway is Metcalf, had a guy a lane over put some slugs through my target today.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:46 PM
BarrelProof's Avatar
BarrelProof BarrelProof is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NorCal
Posts: 165
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Sigh. I don't see how I can use it for home defense without firing hundreds of rounds of buckshot if that's what is gonna be loaded for home defense. I need to know what the patterns are at say 10 and 20 yards with different brands of ammo. I've fired roughly 2500 rounds through my 45 so I'm slightly used to it. I know it mostly feeds everything, etc.

Sounds like it is mainly clays and trap around here. I really didn't anticipate much of any of this. Guess I should have done this research beforehand. Do you think I will be allowed to shoot clays and trap (with the proper ammo of course) with a semi-auto, 21" barrel? Guess if I have to buy another shotgun to participate in these activities, I will.

Would it be impossible to setup Practical Shotgun matches around here? My poor assumption was that we would have something similar to that around here as people do 3 Gun in this country.

Thanks much for all the suggestions guys.
3 Gun/ Tactical/ home defense, Richmond is probably your best bet.

Barrel length is not a requirement for trap/skeet, 28 inch plus just makes it easier. Short barrel with no choke option makes it hard to hit the clays as a beginner. But, I have seen many do well with a Mossberg 500 Pump. But due to the travel distance of the round, you'll be limited to 7.5, 8, 8.5 and 9 shot at most trap/skeet ranges

Trap is easier as targets are only going away from you
Skeet is shorter distance but harder since they're flying left to right pretty fast.

Trap and skeet are always a good complement to defense/tactical practice!
You have to also practice against moving targets!
__________________
If you never leave your first childhood, they'll never know when you've entered your second.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-16-2020, 10:50 PM
BarrelProof's Avatar
BarrelProof BarrelProof is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NorCal
Posts: 165
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Also don't discount birdshot for home defense. As proper ammo choice will prevent over penetration. You can always follow up with buckshot or slug when you know you're not gonna miss (due to the target being slowed from wounds)
__________________
If you never leave your first childhood, they'll never know when you've entered your second.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 PM
JagerDog's Avatar
JagerDog JagerDog is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,996
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Sigh. I don't see how I can use it for home defense without firing hundreds of rounds of buckshot if that's what is gonna be loaded for home defense. I need to know what the patterns are at say 10 and 20 yards with different brands of ammo. I've fired roughly 2500 rounds through my 45 so I'm slightly used to it. I know it mostly feeds everything, etc.

Sounds like it is mainly clays and trap around here. I really didn't anticipate much of any of this. Guess I should have done this research beforehand. Do you think I will be allowed to shoot clays and trap (with the proper ammo of course) with a semi-auto, 21" barrel? Guess if I have to buy another shotgun to participate in these activities, I will.

Would it be impossible to setup Practical Shotgun matches around here? My poor assumption was that we would have something similar to that around here as people do 3 Gun in this country.

Thanks much for all the suggestions guys.

It's a shotgun. Find a pattern that suits you (most will be similar with Federal Flight control being the tightest). Once you find a pattern, enough to verify function (shotguns are seldom picky). Practice with birdshot.
__________________
You know it's cold outside when the socialists have their hands in their own pockets



#Blackolivesmatter
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:21 PM
JagerDog's Avatar
JagerDog JagerDog is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South SF Bay Area
Posts: 9,996
iTrader: 22 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelProof View Post
Also don't discount birdshot for home defense. As proper ammo choice will prevent over penetration. You can always follow up with buckshot or slug when you know you're not gonna miss (due to the target being slowed from wounds)

"Slow down" a deadly threat. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

The Joe Biden method...shoot 'em in the leg.
__________________
You know it's cold outside when the socialists have their hands in their own pockets



#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 10-16-2020 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:30 PM
BarrelProof's Avatar
BarrelProof BarrelProof is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: NorCal
Posts: 165
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
"Slow down" a deadly threat. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

The Joe Biden method...shoot 'em in the leg.
Would have to be one hellava contortionist for me to shoot em in the leg when I mostly aim for face or center mass.
__________________
If you never leave your first childhood, they'll never know when you've entered your second.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:50 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert40 View Post
If you are just new to shotgun, then you may want to make a reservation at Los Altos Rod and Gun club that open to public Thursday ~Sunday. Outdoor, and you could go do pistol/gun range (may allows shotgun on paper), tin-can allley- 15, 25 yards for paper, and 40 yard (tin can only),
Excellent, thank you @dilbert40 !
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
Every place I know of is pretty strict about the barrel length.

One of these models will work pretty well if wanting a semi-auto.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/a400-xcel/
Beautiful guns, thank you @tanks !
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandHill View Post
Los Altos Rod and Gun Club for the win, OP! The tin can range is what it sounds like. You can't pattern, but you can shoot buckshot, slugs or birdshot and you can once again use short barrels. It's a 40 yard range.
.
Thank you @SandHill ! That's 2 plus votes. It is a lil far from me but I think now I MUST go there!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:57 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelProof View Post
3 Gun/ Tactical/ home defense, Richmond is probably your best bet.

Barrel length is not a requirement for trap/skeet, 28 inch plus just makes it easier.

Trap is easier as targets are only going away from you
Skeet is shorter distance but harder since they're flying left to right pretty fast.

Trap and skeet are always a good complement to defense/tactical practice!
You have to also practice against moving targets!
Excellent, thank you @BarrelProof ! This place will hopefully end up as home! Only about 30 mins from me! Signed up for the pistol class on 28 Oct and will ask them some questions re: shotguns!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-16-2020, 11:59 PM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
It's a shotgun. Find a pattern that suits you (most will be similar with Federal Flight control being the tightest). Once you find a pattern, enough to verify function (shotguns are seldom picky). Practice with birdshot.
LOL, Federal Flight control 8 pellet is a Unicorn round these days.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:01 AM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
"Slow down" a deadly threat. ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

The Joe Biden method...shoot 'em in the leg.
IDK, maybe alternate rounds? 2 x bird shot, 2 x 00 Buck, 1 Slug. Drop the shotgun unless it has a bayonet, switch to the 45....
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Nvberinger Nvberinger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 355
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
Apologies if this has been answered recently, but I didn't find anything searching.

So where do you shoot your shotguns in the Bay Area? I'm not experienced enough for traps, or "fun league traps", etc. I just want to take the new shotgun to the range and shoot a variety of ammo at something like 10 and 20 yard distances so I have experience with the new gun.

Thanks much!
I was in the same boat this year, as I bought my first shotgun. I went to Washoe shooting facility in Reno. Had a blast. There is no hassle, lines, or other BS. Bring what ever Shotgun you have, shots, and blast away. NV have fully auto so don't freak out. I bought up locally various shells including slugs. I got up there by noon Spent 4 hours shooting and drove back satisfied. Call the guys up asap and plan on a great road trip.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/wash...-facility-reno


https://www.yelp.com/map/nevada-gun-rental-reno

Last edited by Nvberinger; 10-17-2020 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-17-2020, 1:19 AM
ucbhills ucbhills is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 53
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvberinger View Post
I was in the same boat this year, as I bought my first shotgun. I went to Washoe shooting facility in Reno. Had a blast. There is no hassle, lines, or other BS. Bring what ever Shotgun you have, shots, and blast away. NV have fully auto so don't freak out. I bought up locally various shells including slugs. I got up there by noon Spent 4 hours shooting and drove back satisfied. Call the guys up asap and plan on a great road trip.

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/wash...-facility-reno


https://www.yelp.com/map/nevada-gun-rental-reno
Looks like a lil slice of heaven! I'll check it out, @Nvberinger ! Thanks much!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-17-2020, 5:57 AM
Friesland's Avatar
Friesland Friesland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 840
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Exclamation Tagged

Tagged for later review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbhills View Post
I've been looking at this: https://weaponstrainingschool.com/courses

2 hours east from me.
__________________
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."-
Samuel Adams
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:19 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2020, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.
Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Tactical Gear Military Boots 5.11 Tactical