Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:43 PM

Default 329pd FTX loads (44 mag)

Does anyone have any loads for a 329pd (44 mag) using ftx bullets. I have 2400, Unique, Power Pistol, and many others which slip my mind. I am not looking for max loads per say, but rather just under. The thing recoils enough as it is and I dont want to break my hand. I am aware of crimp backout and I removed the lock, so lockup is not an issue.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:26 PM

How about any 44 mag loads using Power Pistol.
Old 05-14-2011, 6:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Default .44 loads.

Other than various lead combo's, the only jacketed bullets I have loaded for my Model 29 are 240gr and 300gr XTP's.

For me, 2400 doesn't seem to download very well, so with the 240gr XTP I use the start load right out of the Lee book of 17.0gr at 1.6" MOAL. Even as a start load it is pretty spirited in my full sized Mdl 29, so I would guess in that featherweight you better have some nice young strong hands. In the Lee book max loading for 2400 for the 240gr jacketed bullets is 18.7gr.

Unique downloads a little better in my .44's than 2400, but is still not my favorite powder for going under book loads. I have loaded 7.4grs of Unique under a 300gr XTP for a lighter load, the Lee book shows a start load of 9.3 and a max of 10.3 for jacketed 240's. Both of these, even with the lighter 240gr FTX bullet will probably not be something you will look forward to shooting a lot of at one session with that 329.

I have not loaded PP.

My favorite powder for .44 is Accurate #9. It downloads to light target loads really well and you can take it up in steady increments to max loads with really head turning results. If you get some #9, I would start at about 9grs for a light target load. The Lee book start load for 240 jacketed is 19.1 and the max is 21.3. If you load these levels of #9 in that 329, you might want to have an EMT standing by with a splint and sling.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:41 AM

Sounds like you know your 44 loads. I am sure I have some #9 somewhere at my house or at work, I will check. I dont plan on shooting any full house loads when I am not being chased by a bear. I have about 3 weeks to get the M500 grips and a suitable load for my next match which will constist of 110 rounds for the day. 44 mag day at chabot's PPC match. Fun times.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Default More options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter9659 View Post
Sounds like you know your 44 loads. I am sure I have some #9 somewhere at my house or at work, I will check. I dont plan on shooting any full house loads when I am not being chased by a bear. I have about 3 weeks to get the M500 grips and a suitable load for my next match which will constist of 110 rounds for the day. 44 mag day at chabot's PPC match. Fun times.
If you can't find any #9, some other nice powders for downloading 240gr bullets for target work in .44 are W231 and VV-3N37. I found 8.1gr of W231 or 9.0gr of 3N37 to yield super accuracy, light recoil and very low leading with harder 18 BHN bullets (if you end up shooting some lead down the road).

As far as bears, I guess it is better to have a sore wrist than a Grizzley chew your leg off.

Have fun, I love shooting .44's.