Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 05-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

https://grabagun.com/remington-85750...buc-stock.html
Old 05-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post
Lol, I'm already banned from one forum, don't get me banned from here too with that Mini 14 nonesense, Randall!

After fondling a few of the OEM double stack options out there I'm convinced single stack is the way to go on any bolt gun right now. The American Ranch was close, but the cheap stock really killed it for me, it's too bad as it was a close contender otherwise.

Anything with a 1:12 is of course a deal killer for me, as a hunting rifle I'll often be using copper bullets that are longer than their lead counterparts by weight.
I'm a big fan of the .223 CZ 527 Carbine. Before I bought it 4 years ago, I also handled the Mossberg MVP Patrol but I liked the smoother (IMO) action of the CZ as well as the 1:9 twist rate and the Single Set Trigger feature. Yup, the proprietary mags ain't cheap but the firearm's size, reliability and accuracy offset that IMO. I have mine set up with 3-9x32mm AO, illuminated mil-dot reticle scope. Results are off a bench (front sand bag).

25 yards

50 yards

100 yards (called the flier)
Old 05-15-2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Double stack mags don't work well with 2 lug bolts and 2 lug bolts are the most common design in bolt action rifles.

The Ruger uses a 3 lug bolt which makes it easier to function well with a double stack magazine.

If I had your brain... I would..

Well, never mind about that, thanks for a lot of great info downloads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D.I.Y. Barricade simulator using RRS tripod.
Old 05-15-2018, 9:08 PM

CZ 527.... Set trigger has a really long reach, I found it a little awkward... a lot of owners get rid of it altogether....The bolt handle even the revised one gets real close to the scope... Scope ring choices are limited... The action has a little glitch in it... At least mine did... That thin barrel heats up real quick.... Personally didn't find it worthy of all the high praise it usually gets.

Also that junky Ruger stock doesn't seem to hurt performance much... Kind of like Savage's

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2018, 12:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Double stack mags don't work well with 2 lug bolts and 2 lug bolts are the most common design in bolt action rifles.
The Ruger uses a 3 lug bolt which makes it easier to function well with a double stack magazine.
That seems to be true with detachable magazines, but aren't most internal box magazines on Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, etc stagger feed?
Old 05-16-2018, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Agent, yes that cheap flexy stock will hurt performance, especially when the barrel touches one side of the stock channel.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
That seems to be true with detachable magazines, but aren't most internal box magazines on Remington 700's, Winchester Model 70's, etc stagger feed?
yes.
The receiver has the feed rails.
That's why you can't run staggered feed detachable mags.
When you try to put a staggered feed detachable magazine under the receiver, the receiver is in the way of getting the cartridges up high enough that the cartridges can be fed into the chamber by the bolt nose.
If you cut away the underside of the reciever to get the magazine higher, you are removing the rails that the bolt runs on.
That's why detachable magazines for 2 lug bolt rifles are center-feed.
The center feed detachable magazine lips can fit within the receiver's stagger feed lips to present a cartridge up higher where the bolt can get a good presentation of the cartridge into the chamber.

Center feed detachable magazines actually feed BETTER than the fixed magazine stagger feed system.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Old 05-16-2018, 1:46 PM

+1 on the CZ 527 Carbine in .223.
I have one and it is my only center fire rifle.

Great size and balance.
I have leupold VX6 1-6 on it and the balance is great for a quick handling rifle and can be run pretty smooth and quickly at shorter ranges.

Mine was used and there was a machining burr contacting the bolt when i got it. Probably why the previous owner wanted to sell it for only $500 (sweet deal and nothing a little filing and polishing couldn't fix). Other than that i cant complain. Super fun plinker.
Old 05-16-2018, 3:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Agent, yes that cheap flexy stock will hurt performance, especially when the barrel touches one side of the stock channel.
Replace with Boyds laminated stock.
Old 05-16-2018, 5:34 PM

Or just buy the CZ. :-)
Old 05-16-2018, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMB 1 View Post
Replace with Boyds laminated stock.
Not a bad idea, the salesman said they didn't make one for the American ranch yet, but looking at the website it seems they do. I'm going to watch a couple reviews and handle it again now.
Old 05-16-2018, 8:13 PM
Veteran Member

Since I'm new to the bolt action world this might be a stupid question, but the barrel being off center, is that an indication of poor fit between the barrel and receiver, or is this simply a stock issue? Or potential either?
Old 05-16-2018, 9:12 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Since I'm new to the bolt action world this might be a stupid question, but the barrel being off center, is that an indication of poor fit between the barrel and receiver, or is this simply a stock issue? Or potential either?
That's common on all factory rifles with close fits between the barrel and stock.
Sometimes the barrel is crooked.
Sometimes the stock is crooked.
Makes no difference unless it's actually rubbing.

A proper epoxy bedding job is usually done on the receiver with the barrel centered in the channel by wrapping tape around the barrel to center it while the epoxy cures.

Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Old 05-17-2018, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle
Tikka T3 was the middle of the road for me, the trigger was a little heavy, but crisp, and no travel. Again the stock felt cheap, but not as bad as the Ruger. It's hard to say why the rifle felt so "meh" the me, but in a weird way it just didn't excite or speak to me. Like a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry.
I donít own Tikkaís because I donít care for DBMís and tiny ejection/loading ports, though the tiny port issue was ameliorated somewhat with the T3x. I do own a couple of CZ CRF rifles and seriously like them.

That being said Tikkaís are really good rifles and your post is the absolute first one Iíve ever read stating a Tikka had a heavy trigger. Tikka is renowned for their triggers. They are so much better than the triggers on the other rifles you mentioned thatís itís not even close-with the exception of CZ. Even then Iíd give the edge to Tikka over CZ but not by much, unless youíd shoot with the CZ trigger set 100% of the time.

Out of the box accuracy with no mods favors Tikka too. Whittakerís has special runs of Tikkas made with 1:8 or 1:7 barrels, I forget which. Everything Iíve stated though is pretty much moot if you donít like the way a Tikka feels. I donít but they do make a great rifle. Weatherby has a Vanguard model with DBM. They are seriously accurate but in .223 have a slow twist.
Old 05-17-2018, 2:33 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

No love for Savage Axis?

Old 05-17-2018, 3:55 AM

None here.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:50 AM

Due to this thread, I first heard about the Remington Model Seven laminate. The strange thing is I can't find any reviews about this rifle. What appeals to me are:
Iron sights
Internal magazine
18" barrel

Seems like a fine rifle for 100 - 200yd plinking out in the California desert.
Old 05-17-2018, 7:52 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
Weatherby has a Vanguard model with DBM. They are seriously accurate but in .223 have a slow twist.
Vanguards and Howas are 1 in 9", not that slow. They should be okay with 69 gr bullets, maybe heavier. The 69 gr FGMM stays supersonic past 800 yards.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:00 AM

Did they change to 1:9 in the last year or two? I would have bet money the twist was slower.

Last edited by Horrendo Revolver; 05-17-2018 at 10:10 AM..
Old 05-17-2018, 9:20 AM

I prefer the DBM on varmint rifles, where I may be making multiple stands as it easier to remove the mag and empty the chamber than to dump the floorplate or cycle each round through the action each time I am getting back in the truck. Also nice at the range when a ceasefire is called. Not so much for big game hunting, but I don't see many drawbacks either. I have never dumped a mag accidently. Some rifles may make that easier to occur, though.

My walking .223 is a CZ, but I also use a Tikka T3 Lite in .243 for calling coyotes. My heavy barreled rifles are a Savage .223 with a short heavy barrel and a Kimber Longmaster in .22-250. They do the job for prairie dogs and ground squirrels where I am shooting in one place for a while.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrendo Revolver View Post
Did they change to 1:9 in the last or two? I would have bet money the twist was slower.
I don't know. I bought my Howa about a year ago and it was 1 in 9.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I don't know. I bought my Howa about a year ago and it was 1 in 9.
Earlier Howas were 1/12 twist. Not sure when they changed but mine is a 1/9 twist.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
No love for Savage Axis?

I bought one when they had the rebates last year, but when I saw the Howa being offered for $329, I jumped on it. The Savage is not bad, the Accu-trigger is good, but the stock is flexible, although mine is free-floated all the way to the action.

The Howa has a Hogue stock, while not a McMillan, it's somewhat stiffer than the Axis stock and it actually looks good in green. It came with a 10 round single stack detachable magazine, as we've been discussing above, and the trigger is really good for such a low cost rifle. The magazine is proprietary ("ammo boost") but they aren't horribly expensive and it looks similar to a Magpul. To get a decent detachable mag in a Savage would cost a lot, relative to the cost of the rifle.

I believe the "ammo boost" can also be added to the Vanguard rifles, although the Howa is a mini-action and I think the Vanguard is the standard short action, so I'm not sure.

Last edited by sigstroker; 05-17-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Old 05-17-2018, 2:27 PM

[QUOTE=ChuckDizzle;21637870
I was also very curious about the Remington Model 7, what's the word on the street about these rifles? Are there magazine conversions for them like the 700? I like the idea of a magazine for this rifle, especially when zapping squirrels.[/QUOTE]

I have an older 7 in 222 rem. Not sure about the mag conversion for the 7, but wonder about the need when shooting squirrels?? With an inexpensive 6-24x50 zero'd in at 300 it makes a great varmint gun. I'm sure a newer one in 223 would be the same... I do have a 700 in 223, but haven't tried it yet....
Old 05-17-2018, 3:12 PM
Veteran Member

Condor, I've just always found a mag fed weapon convenient on my squirrel hunts, be it with an AR or my CZ 455. I could see topping off an internal magazine to be a little tiresome.
Old 05-17-2018, 4:36 PM
Calguns Addict

The Ammo Boost setup I discussed above is available for the Remington 700 BDL. The bottom "metal" is polymer like the magazine. You won't believe the price for a conversion kit - 69 bucks. That's less than a single AICS magazine, and the ammo boost kit includes a magazine. If the Model 7 has the same bottom metal inlet as the BDL it seems like there's a good chance it would fit.
Old 05-17-2018, 6:02 PM
Veteran Member

Model 7 bottom metal is similar but not the same dimensions as your everyday 700 platforms.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:43 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Model 7 bottom metal is similar but not the same dimensions as your everyday 700 platforms.
I believe the model 7 is 5/8" shorter than a short action 700.

Old 05-20-2018, 5:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just pulled the trigger on a 527 carbine, I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thank you all for such great advice
Old 05-21-2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:

Good choice. Hope you have fun and let us know if you have any questions with it.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:

Congrats! Have fun shooting it.