Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 05-10-2018, 4:19 PM

Default n/a

deleted

Last edited by blattrm; 07-23-2018 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: not needed
Old 05-10-2018, 5:13 PM

HR218 is identified by the retired credentials your agency provides. It has nothing to do with POST. Every year when you requalify on your anniversary your dept should be issuing you a new ID card that states you are honorably retired and HR218 qualified, accompanied by an expiration date one year from your renewal.
Old 05-10-2018, 7:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Most every state is different.

I'm retired from a California agency and I live in Arizona.

Arizona has a program through the Department Of Public Safety where they qualify retired LEO's who RESIDE in Arizona and issue them LEOSA qualification credentials.

https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

That saves me having to yearly travel to California and qualify with my agency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddletown View Post
What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.
Old 05-10-2018, 7:30 PM

From 18 USC 926C(c):

Additionally, the individual must carry either:

-photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer and indicates that the individual has, not less recently than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training as established by the agency to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or

-photographic identification issued by the agency from which the individual separated from service as a law enforcement officer that identifies the person as having been employed as a police officer or law enforcement officer; and a certification issued by the State in which the individual resides or by a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State that indicates that the individual has, not less than one year before the date the individual is carrying the concealed firearm, been tested or otherwise found by the State or a certified firearms instructor that is qualified to conduct a firearms qualification test for active duty officers within that State to have met the active duty standards for qualification in firearms training, as established by the State, to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm; or if the State has not established such standards, standards set by any law enforcement agency within that State to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm.

Last edited by GizmoSD; 05-10-2018 at 7:34 PM.. Reason: Formatting
Old 05-10-2018, 7:31 PM

18 USC 926c is your friend. I'm retired Cali and now in Utah. The UHP offers once a year credential IF you have a retired credential. The LEOSA qual is yearly.
There is no law for how frequently a retired Dept credential MUST be issued. I also avoided having to go back to Cali for my five year requal by finding a local NRA rangemaster.
Check first with your local sheriff and, failing that, check with a POST or NRA instructor. I thought the language in the USC is that a local Sheriff is supposed to do it. If you are near Sacto, Virtual Safe Shot has a range master that does LEOSA quals. I think they're still in business.
Old 05-12-2018, 5:46 AM
Veteran Member

As a retired Ca LEO my Department issues me a retired ID card that authorizes me to carry under California law. This ID card must be renewed every 5 years per State law.

Additionally, my department allows retirees to shoot annually and issues a separate LEOSA 218 card which indicates the qualification date. This annual qualification meets the requirements for nationwide carry under LEOSA.

While some departments may issues a new ID card on an annual basis, that is not necessary.

The only requirements under LEOSA is that the retiree carry an ID card issued by their department which indicates he meets the requirements of LEOSA. The annual qualification certificate can be issued by either a Ca LE agency or an individual that meets the LEOSA requirements to qualify retirees.

While there may well be some small number of officers that are not up to speed on LEOSA, it is my experience that the majority of California LEOs are aware of HR 218/LEOSA, and understand the legal authority for out of state LEOs to carry a weapon in California. I don't see any issues for you as long as you have the required identification from your department and are current with your annual qualification.

Last edited by 003; 05-12-2018 at 9:23 AM..
Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Hope this is not too off topic, but what is the deal with having to possess a CCA in addition to HR218 creds?
Old 05-16-2018, 1:34 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC30 View Post
Hope this is not too off topic, but what is the deal with having to possess a CCA in addition to HR218 creds?
What are your referring to by the acronym "CCA"?

Once we figure out what a "CCA" is, what makes you think that one is required into addition to your Retired ID Card.

Please refer to the post by GizmoSD for a description of the two possible ID configurations that are required for lawful carry under LEOSA.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:42 AM

OOPS, typed and bailed too fast..

Meant to read "CCW." per our range guys (I wasn't listening to well) they said something about our creds not being compliant unless they have a CCW to go with it...

Never heard of that before...If I learn more, Ill let ya'll know what they're talking about.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC30 View Post
OOPS, typed and bailed too fast..

Meant to read "CCW." per our range guys (I wasn't listening to well) they said something about our creds not being compliant unless they have a CCW to go with it...

Never heard of that before...If I learn more, Ill let ya'll know what they're talking about.
OK, Thanks for the update, now I understand better.

There is no need whatsoever for a separate state-issued CCW permit. The LEOSA provides the same carry authority (and actually a broader carry authority in many cases).

There may some advantage to a local CCW. In Washington, the possession of a state CCW exempts a firearms purchaser from the state law waiting period on a handgun, and also provides a state carry authority if I ever let the one-year qual period elapse.
Old 05-17-2018, 8:33 PM

you should keep a local CCW also with the LEOSA, because most state laws have not been updated to recognize the LEOSA credential.
Old 05-17-2018, 9:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevs09 View Post
you should keep a local CCW also with the LEOSA, because most state laws have not been updated to recognize the LEOSA credential.
There is no need for any state law to be "updated to recognize the LEOSA credential."

The federal statute supercedes any state law that may conflict with it. That was the whole purpose behind HR218. Congress did all of the "updating" that was necessary
Old 06-01-2018, 11:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
As a retired Ca LEO my Department issues me a retired ID card that authorizes me to carry under California law. This ID card must be renewed every 5 years per State law.

Additionally, my department allows retirees to shoot annually and issues a separate LEOSA 218 card which indicates the qualification date. This annual qualification meets the requirements for nationwide carry under LEOSA.

While some departments may issues a new ID card on an annual basis, that is not necessary.

The only requirements under LEOSA is that the retiree carry an ID card issued by their department which indicates he meets the requirements of LEOSA. The annual qualification certificate can be issued by either a Ca LE agency or an individual that meets the LEOSA requirements to qualify retirees.

While there may well be some small number of officers that are not up to speed on LEOSA, it is my experience that the majority of California LEOs are aware of HR 218/LEOSA, and understand the legal authority for out of state LEOs to carry a weapon in California. I don't see any issues for you as long as you have the required identification from your department and are current with your annual qualification.
My department, LASD, is the same as this. Your retired credential with ccw endorsement must be renewed every 5 years for California carry purposes. A separate card is issued for HR218 purposes and is good for 1 year from the date of qualification. It is only valid in conjunction with the department ID that bears your photo and identifying information. The HR218 card only has your name, employee number, qualification date, and range instructor’s name and signature.

I think most agencies are up to speed on LEOSA finally. New York and New Jersey agencies got spanked a few times with lawsuits before they came around. Hawaii seems to have come on board finally.

LEOSA needs another update to address magazine capacity similar to the updates for hollow point ammunition. New Jersey was sweating guys over Department issued JHP ammo.

LASD Retired
1978-2011

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Last edited by Ron-Solo; 06-01-2018 at 11:07 PM..
Old 06-02-2018, 6:53 PM

RickD, you need to read CA PC 25650 and PC 626.9 (0)(2). You will see that the LEOSA credential is NOT mentioned in either statue. Also, read 18 USC 926C(b)(2), LEOSA does not supersede state laws that prohibit or restrict firarms on state or local gov't property". So at least in CA, a locally issued CCW is the ONLY way one can carry on school properties. Learn the laws so you don't find yourself in hot water.
Old 06-02-2018, 8:27 PM

Quote:
RickD, you need to read CA PC 25650 and PC 626.9 (0)(2). You will see that the LEOSA credential is NOT mentioned in either statue. Also, read 18 USC 926C(b)(2), LEOSA does not supersede state laws that prohibit or restrict firarms on state or local gov't property". So at least in CA, a locally issued CCW is the ONLY way one can carry on school properties. Learn the laws so you don't find yourself in hot water.
Sir, I recommend you learn the laws.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/leosiss.pdf

Specifically answers to questions 1 and 4.
Old 06-02-2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Are you familiar with SB707? I would not suggest trying to use a CCW for carry on any school in CA.
Old 06-03-2018, 7:58 AM

Default As everyone here has already said....

Although it may have been lost in the convoluted side discussions regarding entering school or state property (relevant, but...), the bottom line for California retired LEO's is this:

If you are ONLY going to carry concealed in the state of California after retiring, the department issued retiree credential (which also has on the rear the HR218/LEOSA act language) is all that is needed. The card/ID itself only has to be renewed every 5 years. I don't know about other agencies, buy my agency only requires retirees who only plan to carry in CA to qualify every 5 years.

Your state of retirement may have its own / different requirements for the retiree ID card issuance/renewal/qualification frequency for in-state CCW (concealed carry).

IF that same retiree is planning on carrying concealed out-of-state (outside of CA), then in accordance with the LEOSA they must qualify annually and carry the range qualification card along WITH their department issued retiree ID card (with HR218/LEOSA language on it), and they must send a copy to our range Sgt to file away if they didn't qualify at our dept range.

The retiree may qualify locally (out of state, etc) where they are retired/reside by meeting whatever local LEOSA acceptable range qualification they can find (often the local Sheriff's dept) for the purpose of meeting the annual qualification requirement for LEOSA. Again, they must forward a copy of the range qualification to our dept armorer.

From our departments perspective, we only have held retirees from out-of-state to the same standard we have here. As far as I have seen, a local CCW hasn't been a requirement, but if one can acquire one, it couldn't hurt. I'm just saying it isn't a requirement for those carrying here in our area.

And yes, we've had problems with travelling retirees and the magazine capacity limits of other states as well as the ammunition types. We advise travelling retirees to double check the state laws where they will be travelling to just to be safe/prepared.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. ..."
--Theodore Roosevelt, "The Strenuous Life," April 10, 1899

Last edited by RCxRC; 06-03-2018 at 8:02 AM..
Old 06-03-2018, 8:16 AM

Default Some of you are in wonderland

The pdf you cited (from 2000) is outdated. Also, # 1 and 4 only apply to active LE, not retired (which I am). So, the CA Penal Codes I mentioned are the ONLY way retired may carry on school grounds. LEOSA does NOT allow retired to do so! I am still waiting for someone to show me the federal or CA state law (other than the ones I cite) that allows retired FEDERAL LEOs under LEOSA to carry on school grounds!

Last edited by whatevs09; 06-04-2018 at 4:34 PM..
Old 06-03-2018, 8:22 AM

Default read the laws before posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosig View Post
Are you familiar with SB707? I would not suggest trying to use a CCW for carry on any school in CA.
You obviously have not read the laws I cited. Which allow a retired federal LEO to carry on school grounds with a CCW issued per PC 25650. Any yes I am familiar with SB707. PC 626.9 IS part of the CAL GFSZ Act.

Last edited by whatevs09; 06-03-2018 at 8:24 AM..
Old 06-03-2018, 8:35 AM

Default how about you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esy View Post
Sir, I recommend you learn the laws.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/leosiss.pdf

Specifically answers to questions 1 and 4.
https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/a...osasummary.pdf

Yet another citation from the CA OAG, read the second to last paragraph.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:20 PM

Default OAG

the OAG paper references the initial act passed by Congress, not the amended version in 2013. that makes a big difference for many people.