Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Default Recoil reduction on an 870 Express 20 gauge?

Let me first say the shotgun feels fine to me...

My SO is delicate and tender. We were shooting trap yesterday and she was using an 870 Express 20 gauge (wood stock) with the standard pad that comes with a new 870, and the recoil from that was killing her shoulder. Before dropping a lot of money on a gas 20 gauge with as little recoil as possible for her we'd like to make sure she enjoys the sport first, provided she can get past the pain. I'm looking for suggestions on recoil pads that fit the 20 gauge. Remington has their Super Cell pads but they all say 12 gauge only. I'm guessing the stocks are a different size?

Do any of you know something that specifically fits the 870/20 without a lot of modifications?

Thanks a bunch
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

I use a limbsaver slip on pad for my SO and she can now shoot my 870 without getting bruised. Also fits on my R700 which is great when I need to sight in my .300 winmag.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Let me first say the shotgun feels fine to me...

My SO is delicate and tender. We were shooting trap yesterday and she was using an 870 Express 20 gauge (wood stock) with the standard pad that comes with a new 870, and the recoil from that was killing her shoulder. Before dropping a lot of money on a gas 20 gauge with as little recoil as possible for her we'd like to make sure she enjoys the sport first, provided she can get past the pain. I'm looking for suggestions on recoil pads that fit the 20 gauge. Remington has their Super Cell pads but they all say 12 gauge only. I'm guessing the stocks are a different size?

Do any of you know something that specifically fits the 870/20 without a lot of modifications?

Thanks a bunch
Why not get her a shoulder pad?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Make sure she's mounting correctly. Some of it may be her body dynamics.

Consider getting lighter loads for your shells, though for 20ga, there's not a lot of wiggle room there.

You can also pad her up either with a shooting vest or, more cheaply, strap a pad to her shoulder. Not sexy, not cute, but it'll do the job until she figures out if its for her or not.

If you're in the LA area, bring her out to one of the clinics at Triple B's. They have other shotguns she can try out in case the 870 you have specifically causes her pain. (e.g.: CZ Redheads hate my shoulder. I can shoot just about anything else.)

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Why not get her a shoulder pad?
That is also an option. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Two words: Knoxx Stock. Make sure you get the recoil reduction type . . .
Old 03-20-2017, 12:57 PM
Calguns Addict

OP where do you live? My wife shoots a Remington 1100 20ga youth model. It's soft shooting.
Old 03-20-2017, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Recoil reduction in order of effectiveness

1) Gun Fit
2) Gun mount
3) Gun weight
4) Shell selection
5) Recoil Pad

Most people looking to reduce recoil just jump to #5 neglecting #1-4

For teaching I have a BPS and an 870 Express both in 20ga that have been modified for small frame shooters.....both have no recoil pad, just 1/4" rubber wrapping. I give the #1-4 a lot of attention so the shooter is learning with minimal recoil.

Last edited by Thefeeder; 03-20-2017 at 2:29 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post

1) Gun Fit
2) Gun mount
3) Gun weight
4) Shell selection
5) Recoil Pad

For teaching I have a BPS and an 870 Express both in 20ga that have been modified for small frame shooters.....both have no recoil pad, just 1/4" rubber wrapping. I give the #1-4 a lot of attention so the shooter is learning with minimal recoil.
There is much wisdom in this post. Gun fit is crucial but the mounting is almost as important. Cutting the stock down may not be practical but finding a youth stock might be a good option. Then make sure the SO is mounting the gun correctly. Find someone else to help if needed. Also find the lightest loads you can. At that point a shoulder pad or softer recoil pad may not even be needed.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:50 PM

I would make sure she is mounting the gun correctly in the pocket in her shoulder. The guy I know who knows shotgun fit the best is Bob Day (http://www.americhoke.com/). He helped me get one of my shotguns fitted correctly.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post

1) Gun Fit
2) Gun mount
3) Gun weight
4) Shell selection
5) Recoil Pad

While you are entirely correct, 1-3 are also the hardest to work around when someone is borrowing a gun to see if they like the sport.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

If your wife is trying out trap shooting, a shooting vest that takes a recoil pad will be very useful. My wife shoots trap too and she use a Beretta shooting vest with a Beretta recoil shoulder pad insert. The shoulder recoil pad insert for Beretta is larger than others, allowing the recoil impulse to spread over a larger area.

Having said that, you will want to focus on getting the gun fit and gun mount correct for her or she'll get banged up no matter what. Even with a shoulder pad, chances are she'll get bruises on her cheek too if you don't get the gun fit and mount correct.

One other thing that might help, a cheek gel pad like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Beretta-E0037...CJY6MYA793YVK5

Both wife and I use it on our shotguns.
Old 03-20-2017, 3:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
While you are entirely correct, 1-3 are also the hardest to work around when someone is borrowing a gun to see if they like the sport.
Its the discretion of the person who is undertaking the role of teacher or mentor to decide if a firearm is appropriate. If its not, as you know, the teacher/mentor is doing more harm then good.
Old 03-20-2017, 5:22 PM

No sir, the Supercell pads fit 20ga stocks. You simply have to order the correct one for whether the stock is synthetic or wood and the Length of pull of the stock.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 03-20-2017, 5:46 PM

Limb saver recoil pad.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:08 PM

It happened to my daughter. I figured she did not press the stock to her shoulder firmly. She was leaving some space between recoil pad and the shoulder, so the gun was hammering her pretty good.

As soon as she corrected it no problem with recoil, and she shoots 12GA.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:51 PM

The overwhelming majority of women need shorter LOP and a higher comb than what is found on standard shotgun stocks.
Old 03-20-2017, 8:10 PM

Have you tried the light loads? There are some.good ones out there.

Also, make sure the mount of the gun is proper.
Old 03-20-2017, 8:28 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind you can probably rent her a gas gun just to try out and see if it's any easier on her.

Fighter Pilot
Old 03-20-2017, 9:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Yup, I know proper technique/fit/mount/load type/etc is important and we're working on all of that. That being said, some people are just extra sensitive with things that jump and go bang. She can barely get past 10 rounds of 9mm with my P226, while I can shoot 400 rounds and not feel a thing. The goal is to do the quick and easy steps (padding) to reduce the pain enough to see if she even likes the sport before we start investing in better fitting more expensive guns, stocks, etc. No where around here has rental shotguns, but she has tried a few owned by friends (including some gas operated semis - unfortunately all 12s).

Anyway, I'll look into the shoulder pads/vests along with some of the stock pads that have been mentioned.

Thanks again
Old 03-20-2017, 9:49 PM

what kind of hearing protection is she using? and is it being worn properly? some cheap, improperly worn foam ear plugs can be hard for new shooters to seal. they are not aware of what to expect and don't realize that the hearing protection is not working. the noise can be more "scary" than the recoil.

in addition to what has been mentioned by thefeeder, i would make sure she is leaning slightly forward or at least neutral. most new shooters, women especially i think, tend to lean back which pushes them even more off balance when they shoot. again, this isn't necessarily a pain/recoil issue, but has a lot to do with comfort, etc.

if you know someone who reloads, try to find someone to load up some light, 12 gauge 7/8 loads. these should actually be better because the gun should be heavier. if not,
http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...4284&from=grid

Last edited by serper3; 03-20-2017 at 9:57 PM..
Old 03-20-2017, 11:03 PM

I second the Limb Saver. I put one on a 12 gauge and it made a noticeable difference. If you go to the web site they list out the models they fit, and you can print out templates to make sure you are selecting the right size if you aren't sure which one is the right fit. They aren't cheap, but worth the money in my opinion.
Old 03-21-2017, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

OP, where do you live?
Old 03-21-2017, 8:02 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...d-ambidextrous

Works for anything she will shoot.

Shoulder mounting properly is paramount - take time and get it right. That and a boxer's stance.

Gun fit - sure - but doesnt count for much when you are borrowing a gun.

-Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-22-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member

The Knoxx Specops stock gets a bad rap, but I'm a firm believer in it. I have the Gen 1 on my 870 and it makes 3" magnum buckshot feel like birdshot. The only downside is a little cheek slap, but I'd rather have that than a bruised shoulder. Another benefit is the collapsible stock so you can adjust it to fit a person of any size.