Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Just got back too. The most difficult thing about the whole experience was getting the kiosk to print out my parking permit. Super quick. I was in with Amber less than 5 minutes.
Outstanding!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:56 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

[QUOTE=ei9htzer0;4731772It was related to me that a committee member is preparing to retire and may take sometime for the Sheriff to appoint another.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if he'd consider appointing Bret Daniels.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ei9htzer0 View Post
Amber estimates that I will receive a phone call within a couple of weeks.
Don't be surprised if it takes longer than that. Some folks are 4 weeks in and still no call, OTOH, you may get one in a week. Not sure how they are going about the interview schedule and process, it is not in order of application received.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm 2 weeks out from meeting Amber
Old 08-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenaniguns View Post
I'm 2 weeks out from meeting Amber
TWO WEEKS!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb7706 View Post
Don't be surprised if it takes longer than that. Some folks are 4 weeks in and still no call, OTOH, you may get one in a week. Not sure how they are going about the interview schedule and process, it is not in order of application received.
That's what I've gathered as well. I think Sacramento Sheriff has 90 days to give me a go or deny, correct? I figured I would receive a call anywhere within that time frame.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
That's what I've gathered as well. I think Sacramento Sheriff has 90 days to give me a go or deny, correct? I figured I would receive a call anywhere within that time frame.
“The licensing authority shall give written notice to the applicant indicating if the license is approved or denied within 90 days of the initial application for a new license or a license renewal or 30 days after receipt of the applicant's criminal background check from the Department of Justice, whichever is later.” (PC 12052.5)

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-05-2010, 1:14 PM

I am guessing I probably saw some of you this morning at the sheriffs department. I saw someone leaving as I was sitting there and someone sitting there as I was leaving. I will agree the most difficult part was finding parking. Let's see what happens now. Heard the same things, expect a phone call next week and then it could be a month or two depending on when they get the committee back together.
Old 08-09-2010, 7:49 PM

Quote:
It was related to me that a committee member is preparing to retire and may take sometime for the Sheriff to appoint another.
Bret came by my store Friday. We talked about Cooper. (what else it there to talk about right?) I was told that Cooper is not taking the "let the State figure out a CCW scheme" anymore. He and Bret discussed McDonald and Sykes between one another. Bret told me that he believed Cooper would not take an anti-CCW stance and that Bret believes he would continue issuing as they are now. So take that for what its worth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
I wonder if he'd consider appointing Bret Daniels.
After talking to Bret I do not believe he has any current plans for Sacramento county employment period.

JB any word yet?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
Bret came by my store Friday. We talked about Cooper. (what else it there to talk about right?) I was told that Cooper is not taking the "let the State figure out a CCW scheme" anymore. He and Bret discussed McDonald and Sykes between one another. Bret told me that he believed Cooper would not take an anti-CCW stance and that Bret believes he would continue issuing as they are now. So take that for what its worth.
Hm... Interesting.
Old 08-10-2010, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombmaster View Post
JB any word yet?
Crickets. They cashed my check. I must watch the days tick by as patiently as I can.
Old 08-10-2010, 1:47 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Once the check is cashed then they are on the clock.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 08-10-2010, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Bummer, they held on to it for almost 4 weeks before depositing it.
Old 08-10-2010, 4:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bummer, they held on to it for almost 4 weeks before depositing it.
The process is not the speediest, but it does get to the finish line.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 08-10-2010, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
I wonder how long it is going to take after Sykes!
Old 08-10-2010, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post

-Gene
I'll look on the bright side. I'll have an answer faster than it will take Nordyke to get resolved.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0660 View Post
You need a really good cause. Some people on http://www.calccw.com/ have recently been approved. Generally, your idea of your good cause should not be posted publicly, get an expert like Billy Jack or CCWinstructor to review it via email or PM.
Paul what you and I consider good cause and what they consider good cause is two very different things.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KylaGWolf View Post
Paul what you and I consider good cause and what they consider good cause is two very different things.
Good cause = "I want a CCW permit to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense".

If you live in Sacramento County, go apply.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Good cause = "I want a CCW permit to carry a concealed handgun for self-defense".

If you live in Sacramento County, go apply.
Yeah, that's pretty much the good cause I used. We'll see what happens.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much the good cause I used. We'll see what happens.
If you are denied, make us your first call.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
I plan too.

My good cause is almost exactly what you suggested. My appointment is this Thursday. I'll update as things progress.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Count on it.
Old 08-11-2010, 2:37 AM

So, uh..., why is this a Sacto. only phenomenon? Which counties shall-issue next? Will SF ever comply?
Old 08-11-2010, 6:16 AM

Quote:
IF denied I will contact you also. I essential used self-defense/family protection for my good cause. Had my appointment last week, waiting for a phone call.

As far as Billy Jack...he is on record as saying that he doesn't believe in "Shall issue" for California and instead thinks there should be a third special class of people. LEOs, regular sheep and those who "need" a CCW. Take that for what it is worth.

CCWI..I am not sure about, but reading on the other site I believe that individual has a personal bias also, similar to BJs

Last edited by BobB35; 08-11-2010 at 6:18 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 9:17 AM

Quote:
I got to thinking about this. Why is the check deposit the initial application? I submitted my application in person and watched Amber fill out and sign Section 7 of the application. It would imply that the application was accepted and processing started the moment she filled in the rest of the app, yes?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bear View Post
Will SF ever comply?
Yes.

Here's your phenomenon.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:29 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Until Sykes or Palmer has resolved up, then options are limited. However, once the right to arms includes bearing functional firearms, due process violations become targets for corrective assistance or litigation. As currently stands, they could simply mail your application package and check back with a denial letter (though Sacto won't).

Quote:
I got to thinking about this. Why is the check deposit the initial application? I submitted my application in person and watched Amber fill out and sign Section 7 of the application. It would imply that the application was accepted and processing started the moment she filled in the rest of the app, yes?

Old 08-11-2010, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Until Sykes or Palmer has resolved up, then options are limited. However, once the right to arms includes bearing functional firearms, due process violations become targets for corrective assistance or litigation.
You may have to break it down for the dumb guy (me.) I was wondering why the clock started on check deposit and not when I personally handed the application in. While I'd like to see things moving faster I'm not really interested in filing complaints or otherwise causing a ruckus right now. I understand it's not yet time for that.

Quote:
As currently stands, they could simply mail your application package and check back with a denial letter (though Sacto won't).
They wouldn't do that in my case for 2 reasons. They already cashed my check, and they would, if I understand correctly, be in violation of Salute.

On a side note and coincidentally, I received a call for the verbal interview about 30 minutes after your last reply.
Old 08-11-2010, 6:53 PM

I noticed on the application that the good cause is part of section 7, and the instructions say not to do anything on section 7 until you get there. So, do you tell them your good cause orally or do you type it out in advance and hand it to them as a letter?
Old 08-11-2010, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki View Post
I noticed on the application that the good cause is part of section 7, and the instructions say not to do anything on section 7 until you get there. So, do you tell them your good cause orally or do you type it out in advance and hand it to them as a letter?

From http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/docu...app_letter.pdf we're told the following:

Quote:
Please provide a separate written statement detailing your need for a CCW permit.
Old 08-11-2010, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger007 View Post
Tiki:
The deputy in the front entrance asked to see my separate statement before he checked me in. Read all three documents for the Sac CCW process, everything you need to know is in there. PM Gray if you get lost or have trouble scheduling the appointment, he will line you out.
Old 08-11-2010, 7:35 PM

Thanks guys. I missed that part.
Old 08-11-2010, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
They wouldn't do that in my case for 2 reasons. They already cashed my check, and they would, if I understand correctly, be in violation of Salute.
Why would that be a violation of Salute? They could review your file before cashing the check and return the whole kit. I don't think that's a violation. Am I missing something?
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 08-11-2010, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Why would that be a violation of Salute? They could review your file before cashing the check and return the whole kit. I don't think that's a violation. Am I missing something?
No, you're correct and many jurisdictions do just that. Thankfully, Sacramento cashed the check in the above case so he has nothing to worry about.

Old 08-11-2010, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
I believe that Salute established that LE cannot refuse to accept an application. If they take and process an app from a judge they must take and process an app from a regular Joe like me as if I were that judge. They don't have to issue, but they do have to follow the same process.

ETA: I guess the check cashing is the key to the whole thing here based on Brandon's statement above.

Last edited by jb7706; 08-11-2010 at 8:11 PM..
Old 08-12-2010, 1:00 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I believe that Salute established that LE cannot refuse to accept an application. If they take and process an app from a judge they must take and process an app from a regular Joe like me as if I were that judge. They don't have to issue, but they do have to follow the same process.

ETA: I guess the check cashing is the key to the whole thing here based on Brandon's statement above.
They are obligated to simply *accept the license* for review. They are not required to cash the check. Doing so puts them on the due process clock and implies they have some sort of service or procedural obligation to fulfill which you have paid and they have taken money for. They could accept the application, look it over, decide that you're not going to qualify under their policy and deny you in 60 seconds. They could even do that and take your $20 initial fee as the statute is written.

In some circumstances for non-standard CCWs the fees can be waived entirely. Non-standard applications are a different animal, although we are aware of the issues in 12050 which are quite open to challenge at the right time.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

Well, I have now seen Wong... just waiting for Wright! The process is very straightforward. Parking was easy, if you do not mind paying $1.75 for parking in the structure across the street. In my case, the guy in the lobby didn't need to see the separate good cause statement, he did ask whether or not I had one... From the time I parked to the time I left the parking structure, I figure that I was there maybe 20-25 minutes.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:43 AM
In Memoriam

I saw Wong this morning. I spent approximately 30-35 minutes on site. The front desk was easy, asked for my ID and gave me a guest pass. Waited for Wong to come down. She escorted me upstairs where we filled out the application and she went over the process. She said I should get a call in about a week from the detectives.

Parking in the structure across the street cost me a total of $3.50
Old 08-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

1 week to go
Old 08-12-2010, 2:29 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcuits View Post
I saw Wong this morning. I spent approximately 30-35 minutes on site. The front desk was easy, asked for my ID and gave me a guest pass. Waited for Wong to come down. She escorted me upstairs where we filled out the application and she went over the process. She said I should get a call in about a week from the detectives.

Parking in the structure across the street cost me a total of $3.50
Aside from the cost of parking (IIRC, it's $1.75/half-hour) and the time spent, that's basically exactly how things went for my appointment this morning.
Closed Thread