Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions > CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGN's Best Threads (Limited Posting) This forum is for storing and or easy accessing useful or important threads.

Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 10:12 AM

Default What is the procedure for obtaining a CCW in Sacramento County?

Do I need some sort of proof of training? If so, where do I go for it? Hoping Bret Daniels gets elected Sheriff of Sac County.
This thread made it to over 1800 posts!
Please go to this post: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=352779
in the Calguns CCW Information Forum for further information.
12/15/2010

Last edited by Librarian; 12-15-2010 at 9:54 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 AM

found this:

http://www.californiaconcealedcarry....acramento.html
Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponderosa View Post
As far as I know this is still up to date, but it is some time since I collated that page. Please let me know if there's anything that's been updated, or needs to be updated.

Thanks

All opinions expressed here are my own unless I say otherwise.
I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:26 AM
Banned

You sue.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/in...s_v._McGinness
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
Try applying first.

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM

Move out of Sacramento County.....
Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 AM
In Memoriam

You need a really good cause. Some people on http://www.calccw.com/ have recently been approved. Generally, your idea of your good cause should not be posted publicly, get an expert like Billy Jack or CCWinstructor to review it via email or PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Try:

http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/docu...app_letter.pdf
http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/docu...cw_process.pdf
http://www.sacsheriff.com/forms/documents/ccw_app.pdf

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 06-02-2010, 2:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhawker View Post
Try applying first.
If it was a matter of apply and obtain, why sue?
Old 06-02-2010, 2:14 PM
Veteran Member

Wildhawker has posted all 3 things that Sheriff McGinness wants you to read. FOLLOW THE PROCEDURE outlined. I've heard of several CCW's being issued in Sacramento County in the past few months, so they ARE issuing them.
Old 06-02-2010, 2:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6ATF View Post
If it was a matter of apply and obtain, why sue?
Standing, if you are denied and decide to sue.
Old 06-02-2010, 5:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It is my *personal* perception that Sykes has John McGinness relaxing momentarily on CCW restrictions as a CYA maneuver. Go ahead and apply. You fill out the form, then call April to schedule an appointment. Some Thursday in the future, you will go in for an oral interview. Bring the form and a $20 MO. You will then be contacted by a Detective, then you will receive a written denial or permit in the mail. Cannot hurt to try.
----------------------------
With my feet upon the ground, I move myself between the sound and Open wide to suck it in I feel It move across my skin
Old 06-02-2010, 6:11 PM

Is Sac County one of the counties that makes you pay up front and then keeps your money if they deny you?
Old 06-02-2010, 6:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Is Sac County one of the counties that makes you pay up front and then keeps your money if they deny you?
I doubt any of the 58 counties will be collecting beyond those limits allowed by law in the not too distant future...

Old 06-02-2010, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Please apply. If you do not succeed, please contact someone from CGF.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @cgfgunrights on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 06-02-2010, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebronze View Post
Actually no, they only ask for $20 up front. I question the additional funds beyond the $95 DOJ Background check requirement.
Old 06-02-2010, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Please apply. If you do not succeed, please contact someone from CGF.

-Gene
Are you saying we should apply with "self defense" or something close to that at this time or was that just for the OP? I'm also in Sac County and want a CCW.
Old 06-02-2010, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone_Gunman View Post
Are you saying we should apply with "self defense" or something close to that at this time or was that just for the OP? I'm also in Sac County and want a CCW.
Ditto this.

I've heard if you are denied it can hurt your chances of getting a CCW in the future. If that is true, I would rather just wait until my odds are better...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Are you saying we should apply with "self defense" or something close to that at this time
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyourmile View Post
Ditto this.

I've heard if you are denied it can hurt your chances of getting a CCW in the future. If that is true, I would rather just wait until my odds are better...
Denials for reasons other than prohibited person status triggers will not be an issue post-McDonald and really isn't one right now.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ditto this.

Applying and being denied for lack of "good cause" will not hurt your case. You will either be issued or you will not. If not you have the option to sue or wait for resolution of Sykes. If we get a positive outcome from Sykes then the good cause requirement will be removed and your previous denial will be irrelevant.

But, a denied application will help Sykes because the Sheriff will have to account for why people are being denied. What happens currently is they tell people to not apply because they will get denied and it's expensive etc. This tactic keeps people from applying and therefore artificially inflates their granted:denied permits ratio.
650-315-2210
http://CoyotePointArmory.com
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes.
Is this recommended only for Sacto county or all counties? I would very much like to apply in San Mateo county if it is so advised (and the $1M insurance policy is no longer required.)
650-315-2210
Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
Is this recommended only for Sacto county or all counties? I would very much like to apply in San Mateo county if it is so advised (and the $1M insurance policy is no longer required.)
My comments were directed at Lone_Gunman and residents of Sacramento County; you will very likely soon find the liability insurance no longer a prerequisite to CCW in SMCo.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Awesome. I will get rolling on this.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

What about in Santa Cruz? This might be the most liberal county per capita of all, and if I remember the CCW map, we were a red zone. Should I get some kind of training before I apply, might that better my chances?

What about listing various crimes that have occurred recently (for example, there have been a number of high-profile stabbings and shootings here in town) either on the form or during the interview, as a reason to bolster the self-defense argument? What about bringing up the UOC ban, saying that CCW is the only option now?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My comments were directed at Lone_Gunman and residents of Sacramento County; you will very likely soon find the liability insurance no longer a prerequisite to CCW in SMCo.
I'm quite sure that our friend from the North will be taking care of that requirement in San Mateo Co. It doesn't hurt that some of the CGF board members are also San Mateo County residents. Just somewhat interested as I have recently had some events happen that may be considered good cause, or maybe not. Similar, though not exactly, like the events that Kevin T. had.
650-315-2210
Old 06-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Calguns Addict

According to one of the PDFs wildhawker posted the CCW permit states the weapon is not allowed within 1000 feet of a school. What is that BS? I live in a school zone and there is a school that I have to drive past on my way to work. How are we supposed to CCW with that restriction?
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
According to one of the PDFs wildhawker posted the CCW permit states the weapon is not allowed within 1000 feet of a school. What is that BS? I live in a school zone and there is a school that I have to drive past on my way to work. How are we supposed to CCW with that restriction?
Yeah that seems like a ridiculous restriction, especially considering how many effing schools there are in Sacramento.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will be filling out my paperwork tomorrow, I just will need some help with my good cause statement. I know there are a few people on here that will review statements once written, can someone refresh my memory on who those people are?

Also, do I take the CCW course and THEN apply or do I apply and then take the CCW course? This may be a stupid question but I'd rather not pay for the course if I get denied, money is pretty tight for me right now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Excuse me, I didn't realize you were posting from a Unabomer shack deep in the Angeles National Forest. Are you stirring coconuts, a la Gilligan's Island, to power that lap top?
Quote:
Originally Posted by njineermike View Post
Bring in a bullet button and a mop. Ask him if he knows which is which.

Last edited by haveyourmile; 06-02-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

I've also heard that the 1000' restriction isn't enforced that much... but it does give the Sheriff something relatively easy upon which to revoke your CCW if you get out of line...
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Veteran Member

I've been waiting for the call for San Mateo county residents to apply with "self defense"...

Is now the time, or keep waiting?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

A few months ago Sheriff McGinness went on record saying he'd issue more CCWs in light of budget cuts. I would imagine he's willing to issue a few more in light of the election in the coming months. Bret Daniels is by FAR the most CCW friendly candidate on the ballot, I wish I lived in Sac county to vote for him.

OIF 07-09 Veteran
NRA Endowment Member, CRPA Life Member
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah02 View Post
A few months ago Sheriff McGinness went on record saying he'd issue more CCWs in light of budget cuts. I would imagine he's willing to issue a few more in light of the election in the coming months. Bret Daniels is by FAR the most CCW friendly candidate on the ballot, I wish I lived in Sac county to vote for him.
Thanks for the support! I wish you lived here too but in the meantime, please tell your friends and family!!!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantodd View Post
I'm quite sure that our friend from the North will be taking care of that requirement in San Mateo Co. It doesn't hurt that some of the CGF board members are also San Mateo County residents. Just somewhat interested as I have recently had some events happen that may be considered good cause, or maybe not. Similar, though not exactly, like the events that Kevin T. had.
It's being worked on actively as we speak. Funny thing is that San Mateo's packet they give out to applicants were promulgated in the mid to late 1990's, before AB2022's requirements went into effect. Looks like former AG Dan Lungren was too busy to tell the counties the whole story of AB2022, rather than just telling them that the licenses are in effect for 2 years.

I am in contact with 5 counties, and one of them was so resistant to just giving me the application when I asked that I had to use my rights under the Public Records Act to request them. Hint: It's not the City and County of San Francisco, and it's not Los Angeles County either.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 06-03-2010 at 12:03 AM..
Old 06-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
I've been waiting for the call for San Mateo county residents to apply with "self defense"...

Is now the time, or keep waiting?
Keep waiting for now. At the moment, I'm working on getting the county sheriffs to fully comply with both current statutory law and Salute v. Pitchess. I can't work on all 58 sheriffs at the same time, obviously, so I'm "county-hopping" and dealing with a few at a time. Almost all of the counties I have been cooperative, except one.
Old 06-18-2010, 9:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Bump for this thread 'cause I'm gonna fill out my app this weekend.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yeah that seems like a ridiculous restriction, especially considering how many effing schools there are in Sacramento.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I will be filling out my paperwork tomorrow, I just will need some help with my good cause statement. I know there are a few people on here that will review statements once written, can someone refresh my memory on who those people are?

Also, do I take the CCW course and THEN apply or do I apply and then take the CCW course? This may be a stupid question but I'd rather not pay for the course if I get denied, money is pretty tight for me right now
You apply and then once you're approved, then you go to training. Btw, folks, if you apply now, and for some reason you are denied, if Sykes goes our way, you can think of the possibilities of what might happen at that point.

If you are denied, contact CGF. It's $20, folks. Just $20 is what you risk. As the bumper sticker says, "Just Do It".

One more thing, folks, the 1000 foot restriction does NOT invalidate your license to carry. Penal Code 626.9 only contemplates your license to carry status, not any restrictions on the license itself.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Gray supposedly they print a 1000ft school zone restriction on the permit in sac county. I don't know how they can, but that really invalidates the license.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Gray: that 1,000 foot restriction is actually printed on the CCW. The language used is something to the effect that "this license is invalid within 1,000 feet" of a school. I live in Sacramento County, and I have a couple friends here that have Sacramento CCW's.
Old 06-19-2010, 12:38 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSDGuy View Post
Gray: that 1,000 foot restriction is actually printed on the CCW. The language used is something to the effect that "this license is invalid within 1,000 feet" of a school. I live in Sacramento County, and I have a couple friends here that have Sacramento CCW's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcalidave View Post
Gray supposedly they print a 1000ft school zone restriction on the permit in sac county. I don't know how they can, but that really invalidates the license.

The language on the restrictions DO NOT MATTER. They are not binding in terms of criminal law violations. All that can do is trigger a possible revocation, which is unlikely given the current legal circumstances between CGF/Sykes plaintiffs and the Sheriff's Office.

Apply, folks.

Last edited by Gray Peterson; 06-19-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Old 06-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member

Oh, I am applying...
Old 06-19-2010, 1:51 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm absolutely not telling anyone to not apply, but how do the restrictions not matter?

Quote:
(b)A license may include any reasonable restrictions or conditions which the issuing authority deems warranted, including restrictions as to the time, place, manner, and circumstances under which the person may carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(c)Any restrictions imposed pursuant to subdivision (b) shall be indicated on any license issued.
How is the license with that restriction valid while breaking that restriction? If you believe the restrictions have no legal merit, would then ANY restriction on the permits be invalid?

Is there some collection of the restrictions by county? I'll start, Shasta county has 0. It's irritating to think that even when license is issued in other counties they have to think about where to use it.