Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-01-2009, 9:24 AM

Unhappy .223 - Stuck bore snake

So I was cleaning my keltec su16ca with a bore snake and the end of it got stuck about 1.5 inches in. I was pulling the snake from the receiver through the muzzel and it's stuck VERY WELL. I've tried pushing it back through, didn't work, tying the part that was out of the muzzle to a post and trying to pull it the rest of the way, broke the bore snake. So i've got a bore snake stuck in my barrel with no end showing. HELP!!! is this at the point of just take it to a gunsmith and have them fix it or does anyone know of a way to get this damn thing out?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2009, 9:36 AM

go to home depot and buy a small wooden dowel. use that to push the bore snake out. be careful of your barrel, only use something like wood or plastic so you don't damage your barrel.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:04 AM

Dowel didn't work. breaks before it even moves anything.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Calguns Addict

You need to SEGMENT the dowel. Don't just put a full length dowel and hammer on it. Of course it's going to snap. Cut the dowel rod into 2" pieces.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
NRL22 Match Director at WEGC

https://www.ocabj.net
Old 02-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Try soaking/pouring water down barrel to soak bore-snake remnants, to get it wet.

Place barrel/upper in the freezer (less optics if equipped) for several hours. Then try the wooden dowel while it (bore-snake remnants) is still frozen.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDHORSE View Post
Try soaking/pouring water down barrel to soak bore-snake remnants, to get it wet.

Place barrel/upper in the freezer (less optics if equipped) for several hours. Then try the wooden dowel while it (bore-snake remnants) is still frozen.
I would have suggested a lubricant but water should work just as good.

And shooting a live round through it is probably the worst idea someone could come up with.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
I would have suggested a lubricant but water should work just as good.

And shooting a live round through it is probably the worst idea someone could come up with.
I was worried that some of the lubricants might have an even lower freezing point than water.

You just don't want the bolckage to compress even further making it tighter in the bore. Freezing it, can make it solid enough and shrink it just a tad, to make it easier to drift out of the bore.

The other option is to take a MAPP torch and burn off as much of the nylon bore-snake and drift it out, but this would be my last resort type of thing.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:36 PM

try a one piece fiberglass cleaning rod for .22 caliber. it is stronger than the wooden dowel. also try using some sort of lubricant to help.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried ramming a metal cleaning rod through there?

The boresnake is made of cloth? Random thought, and correct me if it's stupid: Maybe you could detach the barrel, set the boresnake on fire in the barrel with gasoline or mineral spirits and then just push out the burrned ashes with a dowel or rod when it cools off.
Old 02-01-2009, 1:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teletiger7 View Post
Have you tried ramming a metal cleaning rod through there?

The boresnake is made of cloth? Random thought, and correct me if it's stupid: Maybe you could detach the barrel, set the boresnake on fire in the barrel with gasoline or mineral spirits and then just push out the burrned ashes with a dowel or rod when it cools off.
I'm not sure if this is a dumb idea or not. Interested to see what others say. but theoretically it makes sense. the barrel is used to explosions so what damage would it do? I have already tried th cleaning rod and it doesn't work at all. bends the rod.
Old 02-01-2009, 1:06 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I've heard of people using MEK to dissolve the boresnake.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-01-2009, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I've heard of people using MEK to dissolve the boresnake.
Does anyone know if this would effect the barrel? (methyl ethyl ketone (MEK))? and if not would it be something Home Dept would have?
Old 02-01-2009, 1:12 PM

Read post 28 and 29 of this thread, http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php...e+snake&page=2

No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 02-01-2009, 1:20 PM
Veteran Member

compressed air.
Old 02-01-2009, 1:51 PM

Brass or aluminum rod from home depot or any hardware store. stronger than a wood dowel, and cheap. brass and aluminum are softer than steel so you won't mess up your rifling. get a rod that is as close to the bore size as possible.

cut the rod so that it only extends about 1 to 2 in out of the muzzle. tap the rod with a hammer. TAP, don't bang it.
Old 02-01-2009, 2:37 PM

my buddy had this happen to his m16. we used a standard cleaning rod that had the end cut so that it sorta made a drill and just slowly took it out piece by piece.
Old 02-01-2009, 2:58 PM

Wow, i just started using a bore snake recently in my 223 bore, your post is giving me serious second thoughts.

Was the bore snake old ? Did you insert it dry ? I've been giving mine a generous soaking of Rem oil prior to insertion in the bore, seems to work. I do worry about it snapping, please let us know how this works out and good luck.
Old 02-01-2009, 3:03 PM
Veteran Member

Can you grab the end of the snake that is stick out from the chamber area? If so, get a good grip and pull it out that way.
Old 02-01-2009, 3:04 PM
Veteran Member

The hand operated drill is a good idea, but may cut into the bore if you are not very careful. Gasoline and fire don't mix in a confined area. But I may be tempted to use a propane torch. The SU's barrel is threaded into the reciever and is difficult to remove. A fiberglass or plastic coated rod after freezing sound like the best ideas here so far. If you try to fire a round in a Keltec with a plugged barrel. I guarentee you it WILL blow up. I'm sure this guy was joking..But OMG, if you would have believed it to be factual, You could have blown your face off.

Last edited by diginit; 02-01-2009 at 3:09 PM..
Old 02-01-2009, 4:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawein1856 View Post
So I was cleaning my keltec su16ca with a bore snake
There's your problem right there.

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/member8325.png

Life Member NRA, CRPA and SAF
Old 02-01-2009, 6:20 PM

Quote:

Freezing it, can make it solid enough and shrink it just a tad, to make it easier to drift out of the bore.
Doesnt freezing water expand?
Old 02-01-2009, 6:29 PM

maybe someone else already posted this but i dont want to look through it all.

this happened to me too, so i sprayed some Rem oil down it, let it soak for about 1 minute, then i just pulled really hard, and it came out. basically, it seems stuck, but its actually just tight. keep pulling it everything will be good to go.
Old 02-01-2009, 6:48 PM

I have encountered this problem before. I tried burning it out, didn't work. Used a brass rod and tried to push it out, didn't work. What I finally did was take a piece of brass and make a drill with it. I made the drill like a barrel liner drill. The first half inch was turned down about an eighth of an inch will the rest of the drill was turned down to about .200"(was a 223 with a .224" diameter). I did that so the smaller part drilled into the material keeping the rest of the drill stable so I could minimize it hitting the barrel. It worked and there was no damage to the barrel or rifleing. In this situation, the numnut that got it stuck used 550 cord and tied a few knots in it trying to emulate a bore snake. when ever you tried to push it out, it would compress on itself pressing against the barrel walls.

This should work for your situation. I don't know about using water to freeze it to push it out. It might work I don't know and never tried it. I do know of a trick to get an action out of a stock when it was improperly bedded, stick the rifle in the freezer. This shrinks the metal allowing you to remove the action sometimes. So, if you put your barrel in the freezer to freeze the water, will it make the bore diameter smaller?

Bringing it to a competent gunsmith might be your best answer.

Last edited by bornproud; 02-01-2009 at 6:53 PM..
Old 02-01-2009, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBreya View Post
this happened to me too, so i sprayed some Rem oil down it, let it soak for about 1 minute, then i just pulled really hard, and it came out. basically, it seems stuck, but its actually just tight. keep pulling it everything will be good to go.
but in the OPs case, the boresnake broke so there is nothing to physically pull on.

Old 02-01-2009, 6:59 PM
Vendor/Retailer

If you soak the snake with oil and then use compressed air from the muzzle end, I would think that would do the trick.

As a last resort, perhaps a cartridge fired with NO BULLET, just the primer or a tiny amount of powder, might pop the snake out.

Wear eye protection with either method.

Check out our e-commerce site here:

www.ebrworks.com

Serving you from Prescott, AZ

Last edited by EBR Works; 02-01-2009 at 7:06 PM..
Old 02-01-2009, 7:00 PM

Ok, so let me get this straight...all that's left in there is the brush? Or is there a good amount of the cord left in the bore too?
Old 02-01-2009, 7:44 PM

Quote:

Water expands when it is frozen, and the barrel diameter is going to shrink when it gets frozen. I like the MEK idea of removing the snake remnants.
Old 02-01-2009, 7:45 PM

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They may have gotten calls on this before and may have a recommendation.
Old 02-01-2009, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thawein1856 View Post
Does anyone know if this would effect the barrel? (methyl ethyl ketone (MEK))? and if not would it be something Home Dept would have?
MEK will eat the snake in about 20-30 minutes. I doubt that you can get it at home depot. Remember that crap also eats through rubber gloves.
Old 02-01-2009, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltee View Post
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They may have gotten calls on this before and may have a recommendation.
From the THR.US link I posted above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
Due to the increased use of Bore snakes, and reports of snakes breaking off in the bore, I contacted Michael's of Oregon about what they recommend as an extraction method.

Their answer:

I've heard numerous extraction methods, but the only thing that we
recommend is for the individual not to put any oils/solvent down the
barrel if the snake brakes. It will cause the snake to swell, thus
becoming harder to dislodge. We haven't found a recommended extraction
method yet.

Jeff Redding
Bushnell Performance Optics
1-800-423-3537 ext. 6193
Now, that was 2 years ago, so they may have new info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daerror12 View Post
MEK will eat the snake in about 20-30 minutes. I doubt that you can get it at home depot. Remember that crap also eats through rubber gloves.
IIRC, I got some MEK at the local ACE hardware store a couple years ago. And to test it you could use a part of the broken boresnake and soak it in MEK to see how it reacts.

Old 02-01-2009, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornproud View Post
I have encountered this problem before. I tried burning it out, didn't work. Used a brass rod and tried to push it out, didn't work. What I finally did was take a piece of brass and make a drill with it. I made the drill like a barrel liner drill. The first half inch was turned down about an eighth of an inch will the rest of the drill was turned down to about .200"(was a 223 with a .224" diameter). I did that so the smaller part drilled into the material keeping the rest of the drill stable so I could minimize it hitting the barrel. It worked and there was no damage to the barrel or rifleing. In this situation, the numnut that got it stuck used 550 cord and tied a few knots in it trying to emulate a bore snake. when ever you tried to push it out, it would compress on itself pressing against the barrel walls.

This should work for your situation. I don't know about using water to freeze it to push it out. It might work I don't know and never tried it. I do know of a trick to get an action out of a stock when it was improperly bedded, stick the rifle in the freezer. This shrinks the metal allowing you to remove the action sometimes. So, if you put your barrel in the freezer to freeze the water, will it make the bore diameter smaller?

Bringing it to a competent gunsmith might be your best answer.
This drilling method should work. As long as the rod is larger than the drill bit to keep it centered and the bit doesn't contact the bore. You would only have to drill a small hole on the snake to loosen it.
I would NOT try to fire a round or even a primer to blast it out. It's not worth the risk to person or firearm as primers explode with quite a pressure. A primer only charge would at the very least blow the bolt open and release hot gas through the ejection port.
Old 02-01-2009, 9:24 PM

So I tried the water method and the frezzing method and neither worked. at this point I think I'm going to just take it to a gunsmith before I serious deamage the barrel (if I haven't already). Thanks everyone for their help and suggestions. I'll let you know when I get it back how they solved the problem.
Old 02-01-2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
From the THR.US link I posted above:

Now, that was 2 years ago, so they may have new info.

IIRC, I got some MEK at the local ACE hardware store a couple years ago. And to test it you could use a part of the broken boresnake and soak it in MEK to see how it reacts.

I have seen the Klean-Strip brand of MEK at several Home Depots... it is next to the Klean-Strip brand of Acetone, Boiled Linseed Oil, Mineral Spirits, and such.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Jeez, this is making me wonder about the Boresnake I just bought
Old 02-04-2009, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3239 View Post
Jeez, this is making me wonder about the Boresnake I just bought
Yeah, me too. My bore snake pulls through easily though. You know, I never used a bore sanke until recently. I ran it through (brand new) my 10/22 5-6times. I then ran a patch through there. The patch was still a bit dirty. It did not clean it as good as I thought it would.
Old 02-04-2009, 9:57 AM

For what it's worth, I almost did the exact same thing. Bore snake got stuck something aweful.

In my case, the cord did NOT break when I tied it to a post, and I was able to get it out with a wicked pull. Spray a bunch of light (Rem) oil in there, and pull smooth and hard.

Since your cord is broken, this advice does you no good at all.

I'm a fan of the chemical solutions.. drilling, pounding, all sound risky if you care about your bore.

Also, there is No Chance of pushing the snake out the other way.. the brass bristles are >>>> shaped, and reversing them takes even more force.

You *can* buy MEK at Home Depot. Doesn't seem like it could hurt. Use a funnel to keep it off your plastic bits, and remember to flush it from the gas port. I can't see how it would hurt the bore, so give it a soak. Acetone would be my first try, since it generally dissolves nylon and adhesives.

And calling the BoreSnake manufacturer sounds like a great idea. I'm sure they've heard this story before, and probably have a solution in mind.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 AM

Another idea of dubious merit is to use a chemical to attack/dissolve the bronze bristles.. like Sweets or Barnes ammonia solutions.

I don't know how long you can leave it in your KelTec barrel, but it may weaken the bronze enough to allow a rod to push it through.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

FWIW Otis makes that bore patch kit, allways fold the circular cloth to the correct place, i.e. don't run a 30 cal size in a 223.

Personally I like the idea of bore to muzzle patches, one system for all bores, and the Otis kit.
"Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
I instruct it if you shoot it.
Old 02-04-2009, 2:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I have cleared some really well plugged bores with segmented brass rods.
I cut one rod to stick out of the barrel a couple inches and then drive in additional short 2-3" rods as necessary.
I have yet to find a barrel that this would not clear.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 02-04-2009, 7:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactco View Post
If you soak the snake with oil and then use compressed air from the muzzle end, I would think that would do the trick.

As a last resort, perhaps a cartridge fired with NO BULLET, just the primer or a tiny amount of powder, might pop the snake out.

Wear eye protection with either method.
DO NOT fire a blank with an obstruction in the barrel. This can damage your rifle and worse. At least, I know that firing a muzzleloader without seating the projectile all the way down the barrel can cause damage and/or injury. So, I can only assume that a blank could do the same thing. If you can not clear your tube, I would suggest sending it to AR15barrels and letting him try.