Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Default Which Leupold scope for a carbine?

As part of a one-time promotion due to where I work, I have the ability to purchase a single Leupold scope at a significantly discounted rate. The rate is so insanely cheap that it would be dumb for me to not take advantage of the deal.

I'm looking for a short to intermediate range scope for a carbine.

It seems my options are:
Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS M5B1 Front Focal H-27D Illuminated (23.2oz)
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1 FFP TMR-D Illuminated (17.0oz)
Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm (30mm) M2 SPR Illuminated (18oz)
VX•R 1.25-4x20mm FireDot 4 Illuminated (11.5oz)

I would just immediately buy the Mark 8, but weight is also a concern. I don't want to use up the discount on a brick that I'll regret hauling around.

The Mark 4 weighs more then the nicer Mark 6, so we can ignore that one.

Between the VX•R, the Mk6 and the Mk8, does anyone have experience with that specific scope, or another scope of a similar build? Would you rate the weight of the optic as "worth it" for a carbine build? What kind of shooting do you do with that kind of scope?
Old 10-14-2016, 2:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
As part of a one-time promotion due to where I work, I have the ability to purchase a single Leupold scope at a significantly discounted rate. The rate is so insanely cheap that it would be dumb for me to not take advantage of the deal.

I'm looking for a short to intermediate range scope for a carbine.

It seems my options are:
Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS M5B1 Front Focal H-27D Illuminated (23.2oz)
Mark 6 1-6x20mm (34mm) M6C1 FFP TMR-D Illuminated (17.0oz)
Mark 4 MR/T 1.5-5x20mm (30mm) M2 SPR Illuminated (18oz)
VX•R 1.25-4x20mm FireDot 4 Illuminated (11.5oz)

I would just immediately buy the Mark 8, but weight is also a concern. I don't want to use up the discount on a brick that I'll regret hauling around.

The Mark 4 weighs more then the nicer Mark 6, so we can ignore that one.

Between the VX•R, the Mk6 and the Mk8, does anyone have experience with that specific scope, or another scope of a similar build? Would you rate the weight of the optic as "worth it" for a carbine build? What kind of shooting do you do with that kind of scope?
For a short to intermediate range carbine, I would absolutely pick the Mark 8 above all the others. The Mark 6 isn't bad, but I personally feel there are much better 1-6x choices. The Mark 8 isn't a lightweight scope, but it's not particularly big or clunky either. I've used all of these scopes before, and I find the Mark 8 to be noticeably better than the other three.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 10-14-2016, 2:52 PM

I have the VXR mounted on a Daniel Defense MK11. I have a Aimpoint Pro on another AR. I am shooting at 100 yards or less mainly due to a bad leg. The lower magnification means it's not going to be a precision long distance scope. On the other hand, the small firedot at the cross hair does help me a bit and is allows a bit more precision shooting than the MOA size of my Aimpoint. I consider it a sort of a red dot with a magnifier - which does have an eye relief constraint. With this scope, if the battery fails you'll still have the cross hair where if the battery/electronics fail on a red dot only you got nada.
Old 10-15-2016, 6:26 AM

Im a big fan of the VX6 1-6 multigun.Its light, has great glass quality, and is a 30mm tube so you have more mounting options. Im picking up my second one later this month. Now, with that said, I have not played with the Mk6 or mk8. But for the price, I really love what I have