Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-22-2017, 8:19 PM

Default Moss berg 410, pistol grip 18" barrel... ejection issues

This weapon has worked fine for years, and the last time I went to the range to test fire a box of 00-buck bought at the range, I had a problem. These were 4" rounds and I never had a problem like this before. Loaded them in. Racked. Aimed. Fire. Racked. Fire. rack. Clunk. The smoking empty shell is kind of halfway stuck ... sticking nose first out of the ejection port and the incoming round is all bound up crooked underneath it. I cleared it all out, ejected the remaining unspent rounds, gave it a wipe down, reloaded, and four rounds later - same thing. Thoughts?
Old 03-23-2017, 2:26 PM
Banned

It is your first post?
And you expect any help?
Old 03-24-2017, 4:56 PM

Yes and yes. Why is that an issue? I am a member of other forums (cars, motorcycles, photo stuff) and I've had help as a newbie on some, and provided help to newbies on others.
Old 03-24-2017, 5:28 PM
Vtd Most Likely to Secede
CGN Contributor

Location: Ventura County, Caught Between My Woman And My Pistol And My Chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
It is your first post?
And you expect any help?
Wat?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacrity View Post
Why is that an issue?.
It's not, carry on.
Old 03-24-2017, 5:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

"The smoking empty shell is kind of halfway stuck ... sticking nose first out of the ejection port and the incoming round is all bound up crooked underneath it."

From this we know that the extractors are working and have pulled the fired shell completely out of the chamber.
It sounds like we have an ejection problem.
And because the fired shell has not been ejected, the feeding shell has no where to go....but we also know the mag feeds OK.

Why did it not eject?
- Ammo slightly too long? (shotgun ammo varies a bit...try another brand?)
- Is ejector there and in good shape?
- Are you sure the slide was fully pulled to the rear briskly when it did not eject?

Always curious to know when the last time the gun was cleaned and lubed.

Oh, welcome to CalGuns. : )
Old 03-24-2017, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

4"? I hope you mean 3" as I have never heard of 4" .410 ammo before. Mossberg ejectors are on the end of the barrel. I would have a look at the ejector and make sure it isn't deformed. Remove the barrel to have a good look at it. The other thing I would suggest is that while you have the barrel out, take out the trigger group and bolt and thoroughly clean it.
Old 03-24-2017, 8:01 PM
I'm with stupid ☝️
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowThudd View Post
4"? I hope you mean 3" as I have never heard of 4" .410 ammo before. Mossberg ejectors are on the end of the barrel. I would have a look at the ejector and make sure it isn't deformed. Remove the barrel to have a good look at it. The other thing I would suggest is that while you have the barrel out, take out the trigger group and bolt and thoroughly clean it.
^ I second this advice. Before you jump to any conclusions (and before WE jump to any conclusions), it's always best to disassemble it and give it a thorough cleaning, inspecting everything while it's apart.

After it's back together, if nothing appeared damaged, cycle a few magazines of ammo through it (without firing them), see if the issue happens again. If all appears good, try it out at the range again. Good luck
Old 03-25-2017, 3:36 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yes and yes. Why is that an issue? I am a member of other forums (cars, motorcycles, photo stuff) and I've had help as a newbie on some, and provided help to newbies on others.
Don't worry about it, some people have need to just say "something" to run up their post count. Good helpful people here on Calguns, now that I've moved to New Mexico and no longer subject to the asinine CA gun laws I'll still remain a member and support Calguns. Haven't bought anything here yet, haven't gotten the DL yet or taken title to the new house, etc.
Calguns is a great resource for information and conversation!
Old 02-14-2018, 3:07 PM

I haven't been active on here. Sorry to those who took the time to offer help and suggestions. I took them to heart. Disassembled the little Mossy, cleaned it, all good. There was a bit of that sticky "fur" one gets when dust and oil play together, and I think that was probably the issue. And yes, of course it was a typo about the ammo. 3" were the ones that were hanging up (at the tip) while the 2.5" rounds fed fine. Now it all works. Thank you again.

Last edited by Alacrity; 02-14-2018 at 3:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2018, 3:23 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I haven't been active on here. Sorry to those who took the time to offer help and suggestions. I took them to heart. Disassembled the little Mossy, cleaned it, all good. There was a bit of that sticky "fur" one gets when dust and oil play together, and I think that was probably the issue. And yes, of course it was a typo about the ammo. 3" were the ones that were hanging up (at the tip) while the 2.5" rounds fed fine. Now it all works. Thank you again.
Glad it all worked out for ya!
Old 02-14-2018, 4:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Try cycling dummy rounds. I heard that's a good test
Old 02-14-2018, 4:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good to hear that you got it working again.
Thanx for the update!