Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

National 2nd Amend. Political & Legal Discussion Discuss national gun rights and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 05-17-2018, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser View Post
...However to be fair, PROMISE is not a federal program. It is a program setup by Broward County to bring in the $$$...
Correct.

APPLICATION FOR GRANTS

235 pages.

Note on Page e5 that the Federal portion is $53,808,909.00 of the total $57,605,166.00 estimated funding.

There's a good chance this is where the $54 million dollar figure came from. However, the Promise Program is only specifically cited once in the 235 pages and that was in relation to "Professional Experiences Relevant to Essential Performance Responsibilities" on page 103. In other words, the $54 million wasn't necessarily for the Promise Program; i.e., it was part of the plan to access the grant monies. It's part of what I placed in bold/italics above...

Quote:
Applications for federal grants reveal that Runcie’s plan factored into approval of tens of millions of dollars in federal funding from Duncan's department.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser
...money that should have been going to teachers and students who needed it.
The grant application was under the auspices of the Teacher Incentive Fund for their Leading Excellence and Achievement in Performance (LEAP) Ahead program.

Quote:
By the end of the grant period, LEAP Ahead aims to achieve the following outcomes in High-Need Schools: 15 percentage point (ppt) increase of student performance on the Florida Standards Assessments; 90% of educators supporting the HCMS; 20 ppt increase in recruitment and retention of Effective and Highly Effective educators; 8 ppt increase in Effective and Highly Effective teachers in critical content areas; 12 ppt decrease in teachers with more than 10 absences; 12 ppt increase in teachers opting in to the districtwide PBCS; 100% of identified educators receiving personalized professional development; and 100% of coaches completing the Coach Credentialing Program. BCPS is well-positioned for success in sustaining the project, with supportive unions, state and local policies, a district-wide vision that values the use of data for continuous improvement, and institutionalized funding sources.
In short, the Promise Program 'opened the door' for the grant monies which were, ostensibly, for students and teachers. Again, there were politics involved. As quoted above...

Quote:
Runcie had been working closely with Obama Education Secretary Arne Duncan on the reforms ever since landing the Broward job in 2011, using as a reference the name of the Cabinet secretary, his former boss in the Chicago school system.
While it would be 'difficult' to legally establish a quid pro quo, if you read the piece I linked to/quoted, that's essentially what happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootuser
I'd really like to see where that money really went.
Somewhere, there is an 'accounting' of that money. Legally, there has to be. However, you will note that some of the documentation regarding how they propose to apportion part of the monies vis a vis the 2016 grant is listed as "Coming Soon." Bear in mind that the "project period" is from 10/1/2016 - 9/30/2021.

However, you are welcome to peruse the 2017 - 2018 Budget for the school district. On page 24, you will find that $22.3 million is related to the Teacher's Incentive Fund; roughly 5.9% of the total "Special Revenue: Estimated Revenue and Appropriation."

The bottom line is that it's easy to make accusations regarding pocket lining; particularly when dealing with a situation like this. Likewise, it's not all that difficult to siphon monies; though one must be careful as honest/objective audits tend to catch it. (Note that I said 'honest/objective' audits.)

However, bear in mind that the 'games' you're getting a view into go on all the time in terms of school districts getting 'creative' to access funding. Remember the media hysteria over Ebonics 20-something years ago? The issue was spun in the media as to how they were looking to spend money on 'teaching Ebonics.'

If you kept up with it, they put the two teachers responsible for the grant application on the news. They straight up, in plain English, overtly declared that it was about getting the grants so they could buy textbooks to teach ENGLISH, not Ebonics. To put it mildly, that's not what the reporter wanted to hear and it wasn't the narrative the media pushed. But, if you listen to the first 5 minutes of this video from 1996, that was the goal statement...

Quote:
...the key to the 21st Century was ensuring that all of our children speak, read, and write standard, American English...
It was seen as a way to get the camel's nose under the tent in terms of funding. Yes. It was a 'trick' to manipulate the funding system; i.e., to gain access to funds/grants not 'normally' available.

I suspect that, at least in small part, is one of the purposes served by the Broward County Promise Program; i.e., it got them additional grant monies. I also suspect that Runcie agreed with Obama, Holder, Duncan, et al. in terms of perceived, racial bias in schools, particularly as it related to school discipline. Remember, Obama, Duncan, and Runcie came out of Chicago; with Runcie leaving for Broward County three months after being demoted by a 'shake-up' in Chicago Public Schools administration in 2011.

You will also note that piece mentions...

Quote:
...Runcie, who was brought into Chicago's public schools by former CEO Arne Duncan in 2003, had most recently served as "Chief of Staff" to Board President David Vitale... He had no CPS teaching or administrative experience when he was brought in by fellow Harvard Alumnus Arne Duncan early in Duncan's term as CPS CEO...
Beginning to get the picture?

In the end, the money aspect isn't what's at issue in relation to the OP of the thread. The issue is concern over the Promise Program and how it might have interfered with or 'missed' in terms of not 'flagging' Cruz so he couldn't legally purchase the firearm or not 'doing the paperwork' so that it could have been justifiably confiscated before he used it. What all of the above shows, however, is a good part of the reason why Runcie is dragging his heels in releasing the information, obfuscating, etc. It's not just about potential lawsuits, but about access to grant monies, and, likely, a belief system in terms of 'bias' in school discipline.

Last edited by TrappedinCalifornia; 05-17-2018 at 3:49 AM..
Old 05-17-2018, 4:10 AM

Thanks for the post and link.

I think we can/should ad this to the growing list of things that will certainly create more distrust of governing bodies!
Old 05-17-2018, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinCalifornia View Post
Correct.

APPLICATION FOR GRANTS

235 pages.

Note on Page e5 that the Federal portion is $53,808,909.00 of the total $57,605,166.00 estimated funding.

There's a good chance this is where the $54 million dollar figure came from. However, the Promise Program is only specifically cited once in the 235 pages and that was in relation to "Professional Experiences Relevant to Essential Performance Responsibilities" on page 103. In other words, the $54 million wasn't necessarily for the Promise Program; i.e., it was part of the plan to access the grant monies. It's part of what I placed in bold/italics above...

The grant application was under the auspices of the Teacher Incentive Fund for their Leading Excellence and Achievement in Performance (LEAP) Ahead program.

In short, the Promise Program 'opened the door' for the grant monies which were, ostensibly, for students and teachers. Again, there were politics involved. As quoted above...

While it would be 'difficult' to legally establish a quid pro quo, if you read the piece I linked to/quoted, that's essentially what happened.

Somewhere, there is an 'accounting' of that money. Legally, there has to be. However, you will note that some of the documentation regarding how they propose to apportion part of the monies vis a vis the 2016 grant is listed as "Coming Soon." Bear in mind that the "project period" is from 10/1/2016 - 9/30/2021.

However, you are welcome to peruse the 2017 - 2018 Budget for the school district. On page 24, you will find that $22.3 million is related to the Teacher's Incentive Fund; roughly 5.9% of the total "Special Revenue: Estimated Revenue and Appropriation."

The bottom line is that it's easy to make accusations regarding pocket lining; particularly when dealing with a situation like this. Likewise, it's not all that difficult to siphon monies; though one must be careful as honest/objective audits tend to catch it. (Note that I said 'honest/objective' audits.)

However, bear in mind that the 'games' you're getting a view into go on all the time in terms of school districts getting 'creative' to access funding. Remember the media hysteria over Ebonics 20-something years ago? The issue was spun in the media as to how they were looking to spend money on 'teaching Ebonics.'

If you kept up with it, they put the two teachers responsible for the grant application on the news. They straight up, in plain English, overtly declared that it was about getting the grants so they could buy textbooks to teach ENGLISH, not Ebonics. To put it mildly, that's not what the reporter wanted to hear and it wasn't the narrative the media pushed. But, if you listen to the first 5 minutes of this video from 1996, that was the goal statement...

It was seen as a way to get the camel's nose under the tent in terms of funding. Yes. It was a 'trick' to manipulate the funding system; i.e., to gain access to funds/grants not 'normally' available.

I suspect that, at least in small part, is one of the purposes served by the Broward County Promise Program; i.e., it got them additional grant monies. I also suspect that Runcie agreed with Obama, Holder, Duncan, et al. in terms of perceived, racial bias in schools, particularly as it related to school discipline. Remember, Obama, Duncan, and Runcie came out of Chicago; with Runcie leaving for Broward County three months after being demoted by a 'shake-up' in Chicago Public Schools administration in 2011.

You will also note that piece mentions...

Beginning to get the picture?

In the end, the money aspect isn't what's at issue in relation to the OP of the thread. The issue is concern over the Promise Program and how it might have interfered with or 'missed' in terms of not 'flagging' Cruz so he couldn't legally purchase the firearm or not 'doing the paperwork' so that it could have been justifiably confiscated before he used it. What all of the above shows, however, is a good part of the reason why Runcie is dragging his heels in releasing the information, obfuscating, etc. It's not just about potential lawsuits, but about access to grant monies, and, likely, a belief system in terms of 'bias' in school discipline.
Excellent reference. I filed a Freedom of Information Request with Broward county this morning. I came at it from a different angle than the press seems to claim they are coming at it from. I am hoping by coming at it this way I'll be able to get the accountings I want/need. Unfortunately I had to cast kind of a wide net so they might bury my with paper and I'll never be able to make heads or tails of it. We'll see.

In "how" we keep guns out of the hands of people that shouldn't have them, one "how" is that we spend some of this money on identifying real threats like Cruz vs the kid who puts up some graffiti on the bathroom wall. Simply arresting all kids who do something dumb is just continuing the subjugation of these kids, but we've got to get the bad ones. We CAN find them if we spend the money. When I went to school, they weren't calling the cops every 5 minutes. A lot of things were handled internally (Don't ask me how I know ) . I ended up OK. Although I bet if they knew how much money I was going to toss over to the NRA they would have rung me up back then
Old 05-17-2018, 2:29 PM
Calguns Addict

same here Brother Root !
Keep us posted on FOIA !