Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:24 PM
dwightlooi dwightlooi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Off-List 308 AR Lower

First, let me declare my intentions and purpose.

(1) I have no interest in a fixed mag "assault style" rifle.
(2) I already have a registered pre-SB23 AR15, so I have no need for additional ones that are neutered.
(3) My greatest regret is not getting a G3, FAL or AR rifle or receiver in 308 in 1999.
(4) My only interest is in buying a few 308 AR lowers hoping that one of them will be put on the list so I can register it and build a full fledged "assault" rifle.
(5) If it doesn't get put on the list it never gets built.

My questions are:-
  • What are the available 308 AR Lowers available?
  • Does anyone know what in the past was off list but later got put on the list.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Norsemen308's Avatar
Norsemen308 Norsemen308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orange county
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

good luck.....

honesty they would have to ban the whole platform... theres to many and they are all the same....id say grab any single one, if the ban ever comes back federally you might have a chance.... that just seems evil to wish....
__________________
Happiness is a WARM AR
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 PM
dwightlooi dwightlooi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen308 View Post
good luck.....

honesty they would have to ban the whole platform... theres to many and they are all the same....id say grab any single one, if the ban ever comes back federally you might have a chance.... that just seems evil to wish....
Are you saying that they haven't identified and/or add any lowers since the inception of the list?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 PM
Chaos47's Avatar
Chaos47 Chaos47 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Inland Empire
Posts: 6,227
iTrader: 18 / 100%
Default

huh?
They stopped adding guns to the list.
You can no longer submit guns to become RAWS

If you didn't have it back then or you didn't submit it to be a RAW the best you can do now adays is a fixed magazine or a featureless build.

Last edited by Chaos47; 01-05-2012 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-06-2012, 1:17 AM
ahren111's Avatar
ahren111 ahren111 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sac area
Posts: 595
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
(4) My only interest is in buying a few 308 AR lowers hoping that one of them will be put on the list

You're actually hoping for more guns to be banned? That sucks!!! Maybe this is the wrong website for you, check out the Brady Campaign I'm sure they would love your support. If you want a non neutered gun that bad move somewhere else! Don't wish for more of our rights to be taken away.

Last edited by ahren111; 01-06-2012 at 1:41 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-06-2012, 8:50 AM
dwightlooi dwightlooi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

No, I am actually hoping for more guns to be allowed to be assembled as full fledged assault weapons.

That they can ban AW by characteristics is already law. Given that fact. The only way to have an "assault weapon" is by having one registered prior to 2000 or by owning some AK/AR that wasn't banned by make/model suddenly become banned and thereby creating a 90 day registration window for the newly banned specific models.

Given the way the law is written, if they for example add Bushmaster Carbon 15 to the list, anyone who owns a Carbon 15 or carbon 15 stripped lower, will then have 90 days to register it as an assault weapon. Following that, they can legally have a detachable 30 round mag, pistol grip, collapsible stock, flash hider and/or bayonet lug added to it because it is now a registered assault weapon. As far as rights of other gun owners, not much has changed because there are so many off-list lowers out there and Bushmaster can rename the Carbon 15 to Carbon 16 or Composite 15 and that becomes off-list again even if it's the the same darn lower!

Our laws do not make any sense. I am just trying to get a proper semi-automatic rifle under the nonsensical laws that exists.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2012, 8:58 AM
Norsemen308's Avatar
Norsemen308 Norsemen308 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orange county
Posts: 1,917
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

IMO the only way your dream is gonna happen is from a federal level...

being banned for name was because thats what was on the market at the time.... so for them to come back and ban again, they are going to have to list every single one on the market... thats why I am saying the idea is sound...but it actually happening......uhhh i dont know.
__________________
Happiness is a WARM AR
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2012, 9:03 AM
skkeeter's Avatar
skkeeter skkeeter is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Lost Coast
Posts: 2,679
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
Are you saying that they haven't identified and/or add any lowers since the inception of the list?
As I understand it, there are no more rifles being added to the list, and there hasn't been since it was created. I think many of us have a few extra lowers just in case there is another registration process sometime in the future.
__________________
.
.
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2012, 9:11 AM
a1c's Avatar
a1c a1c is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 8,869
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Wow, a gunnie who hopes to see more guns banned in order to satisfy his little selfish fantasy.

Way to go, sport.
__________________
WTB: French & Finnish firearms. WTS: raw honey, tumbled .45 ACP brass, stupid cat.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2012, 9:35 AM
Hoop's Avatar
Hoop Hoop is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn
Posts: 10,881
iTrader: 63 / 100%
Default

Not sure about the logic of your whole argument but if you just want a couple 308 lowers the tactical machining ones I have seen have all been fine and the price is right.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2012, 9:46 AM
GettoPhilosopher's Avatar
GettoPhilosopher GettoPhilosopher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,810
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

The list was closed permanently.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/Hi...7_laws#AB-2728
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
skkeeter's Avatar
skkeeter skkeeter is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Lost Coast
Posts: 2,679
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1c View Post
Wow, a gunnie who hopes to see more guns banned in order to satisfy his little selfish fantasy.

Way to go, sport.
I highly doubt that the op wants more laws against gun ownership. Sounds like he's trying to prepare for another crappy set of gun laws instead of hoping for more of them. The simple fact that he wants his rifles in AW configuration should tell you that. Way to take something out of context.
__________________
.
.
Bring a truck, preferably 4WD, firearms, lots of ammo... and curl the brim of your baseball cap!

We'll shoot at flat-hatters and gang bangers!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
DULLYJAY DULLYJAY is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Oakland/Elk Grove
Posts: 895
iTrader: 36 / 100%
Default

I would just go for a M1A. I know you might have one already?
__________________
"Betta get yours, cuzz I got mine!" 2Pac
+ 1000 post CGN V1.0 Alumni
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-06-2012, 3:22 PM
Ubermcoupe's Avatar
Ubermcoupe Ubermcoupe is offline
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798
Posts: 12,200
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettoPhilosopher View Post
This.

OP, I am not sure what you are purposing. Build a mag-locked AR308 and be done with it. Donít like the AW ban? help to get it overturned.
__________________
Hauoli Makahiki Hou


-------
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-06-2012, 3:34 PM
Merc1138 Merc1138 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,153
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Get a maglocked .308, or go featureless. You're seriously hoping that more lowers get added to the list(which isn't possible) so you might be able to get more RAWs registered(also not possible unless they had another registration period)?

That's like saying you want to get the clap so you'll have an excuse to see the hot nurse when you visit the doctor's office.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-06-2012, 3:48 PM
ahren111's Avatar
ahren111 ahren111 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: sac area
Posts: 595
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
I highly doubt that the op wants more laws against gun ownership. Sounds like he's trying to prepare for another crappy set of gun laws instead of hoping for more of them. The simple fact that he wants his rifles in AW configuration should tell you that. Way to take something out of context.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
(4) My only interest is in buying a few 308 AR lowers hoping that one of them will be put on the list
Doesn't sound like anything was taken out of context to me. OP says he's hoping for more guns to be banned.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-06-2012, 4:10 PM
goodlookin1's Avatar
goodlookin1 goodlookin1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,446
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahren111 View Post
Doesn't sound like anything was taken out of context to me. OP says he's hoping for more guns to be banned.
So that they would be open for assault weapon registration.

But that's not going to happen due to AB 2728
__________________
www.FirearmReviews.net
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-06-2012, 4:14 PM
Merc1138 Merc1138 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,153
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
So that they would be open for assault weapon registration.

But that's not going to happen due to AB 2728
Which would result in more guns being banned after the registration is closed.

Wanting more guns added to the list, is wanting more guns banned.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-06-2012, 5:06 PM
Jpach's Avatar
Jpach Jpach is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Clarita
Posts: 4,721
iTrader: 27 / 100%
Default

In case you do not know, the mag locks that we use for our ARs actually allow us to remove our magazines (such as the Bullet Button and the Radd Lock).

So although it is kind of neutered, they are still very practical rifles and removing the magazine is VERY easy.
__________________
PM or Email me if you have questions: Jpach89@gmail.com

Check out my LMT .308 AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton View Post
I have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomb_on_bus View Post
Best part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-06-2012, 5:25 PM
EODWRX's Avatar
EODWRX EODWRX is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 109
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You could always move out of state and then visit California. It works, I tried it. No more bullet button, normal capacity magazines. I leave the store with my new guns. I have not yet been told "you can't come in" when visiting California. Life is good.
__________________
Continuity is not important as long as everything is touching!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-06-2012, 6:36 PM
a1c's Avatar
a1c a1c is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lake County, CA
Posts: 8,869
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkeeter View Post
I highly doubt that the op wants more laws against gun ownership. Sounds like he's trying to prepare for another crappy set of gun laws instead of hoping for more of them. The simple fact that he wants his rifles in AW configuration should tell you that. Way to take something out of context.
Let me quote the OP for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
(4) My only interest is in buying a few 308 AR lowers hoping that one of them will be put on the list so I can register it and build a full fledged "assault" rifle.
Yeah. He does.

Thankfully, as it's been pointed out, the list hasn't and won't be amended. But you've got to wonder about someone who is hoping for more guns to get banned.
__________________
WTB: French & Finnish firearms. WTS: raw honey, tumbled .45 ACP brass, stupid cat.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-06-2012, 8:28 PM
Ubermcoupe's Avatar
Ubermcoupe Ubermcoupe is offline
★ Junior G Man ✈
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: This information has been redacted in accordance with Title 18 USC Section 798
Posts: 12,200
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpach View Post
In case you do not know, the mag locks that we use for our ARs actually allow us to remove our magazines - with a tool - (such as the Bullet Button and the Radd Lock).
Wanted to make sure we were not sending the wrong message
__________________
Hauoli Makahiki Hou


-------
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 AM
dwightlooi dwightlooi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 331
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Ideally, California will not ban assault weapons. But with donkeys in the governorship, the AG's office, 2/3s of the state legislature, 2/3rs of the congressional seats and both senator seats, this is the bluest of blue state. Let's face it the libs have enough seats to rewrite the Californian state constitution if they want to on a straight partly line vote. This is a fact of life as it currently stands.

If there is a currently a banned list and if there currently exist off list receivers. If off list receivers ever get put on the banned list. If this automatically triggers a 90 day registration window which then allows owners of the newly banned receivers to own "assault weapons". As a gun owner, don't you want to be one of those owners instead of an owner of a locked mag rifle? We are not talking about any new gun laws here. The law is already there. The law is not going to get repealed in the foreseeable future. The law already gives the CA-DOJ the right and authority to add weapons to the banned list. It is not about wishing for more gun laws or gun bans. It is about spending a few hundred dollars to own a piece of hardware that may have a chance to be assembled into a full AW in CA.

Because I have very little interest in owning a locked mag rifle, I will want to spend the minimum amount of money and get stripped 308 lowers. I'll only build them IF I can build them as full AWs.

Last edited by dwightlooi; 01-07-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Hoop's Avatar
Hoop Hoop is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn
Posts: 10,881
iTrader: 63 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
If off list receivers ever get put on the banned list. If this automatically triggers a 90 day registration window which then allows owners of the newly banned receivers to own "assault weapons". As a gun owner, don't you want to be one of those owners instead of an owner of a locked mag rifle?
Those "locked mag rifles" ARE the off list receivers you are talking about! Your argument is nonsensical...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-07-2012, 12:39 AM
GettoPhilosopher's Avatar
GettoPhilosopher GettoPhilosopher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,810
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

As I already pointed out, the law does NOT allow the DOJ to add new lowers to the list. The list is permanently closed by law.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-07-2012, 1:01 AM
Merc1138 Merc1138 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,153
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
Ideally, California will not ban assault weapons. But with donkeys in the governorship, the AG's office, 2/3s of the state legislature, 2/3rs of the congressional seats and both senator seats, this is the bluest of blue state. Let's face it the libs have enough seats to rewrite the Californian state constitution if they want to on a straight partly line vote. This is a fact of life as it currently stands.

If there is a currently a banned list and if there currently exist off list receivers. If off list receivers ever get put on the banned list. If this automatically triggers a 90 day registration window which then allows owners of the newly banned receivers to own "assault weapons". As a gun owner, don't you want to be one of those owners instead of an owner of a locked mag rifle? We are not talking about any new gun laws here. The law is already there. The law is not going to get repealed in the foreseeable future. The law already gives the CA-DOJ the right and authority to add weapons to the banned list. It is not about wishing for more gun laws or gun bans. It is about spending a few hundred dollars to own a piece of hardware that may have a chance to be assembled into a full AW in CA.

Because I have very little interest in owning a locked mag rifle, I will want to spend the minimum amount of money and get stripped 308 lowers. I'll only build them IF I can build them as full AWs.
So basically you want more guns banned because you hope it'll mean you can register AWs?

First of all, wanting more guns banned in this state is just plain dumb. You've got to be one of the most ridiculous trolls I've seen on this site in a while.

Second, if you paid any attention to the responses you'd see that they can't add more to the list because they aren't allowed to(it would require a new list with a new set of regulations to do it that might not allow a reg. window).

No, you are not going to be able to buy a bunch of .308 lowers to keep in the safe until they're added to a list that they cannot be added to, in an attempt to "game" the system and get yourself some RAWs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:25 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.