Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 06-17-2017, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
I often look to my right to see who I may be raining brass onto.
Too funny, couldn't find my brass from the first couple of mags last time. My buddy said they flew over his head...he was about 15' away.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:33 PM

I have a ton of ARs. I have a ton of Precision rifles. I have a few ARs that are built as Precision rifles. I also have a mini.

My mini just has open sights.

I don't shoot it from the bench. That's what Precision rifles are for.

My mini is fun to shoot in the off hand position at random steel targets on the range and in that regard I'd say it's plenty accurate. I also find that it is very reliable and I love that it doesn't look like every other semi auto rifle at the range.

When I get to the range and see everyone shooting their door kicker tactical ARs from the bench it's easy to understand why people disapprove of the minis accuracy. Your door kicker AR isn't a Precision rifle. If you want to do that then build a rifle for that purpose.

Visit our forum at- http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/index.php

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 06-17-2017, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

My mini has been great.. hits pie plates at 100 yards all day. No issues to speak off.

Obviously it's not a precision rifle, but it works just fine. Bonus points for no BB or AW hangups.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:45 PM
Veteran Member

New Mini's are great!!! Just as reliable as always but with improved accuracy! With my crappy skills I was still able to destroy clay pigeons at 100yds with bulk ammo...... All depends on what you want outta a rifle, golf balls at 200, probably not the rifle for you. Kill what you're shooting at with near perfect reliablity, Mini all the way!
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed_SS View Post
My mini has been great.. hits pie plates at 100 yards all day. No issues to speak off.

Obviously it's not a precision rifle, but it works just fine. Bonus points for no BB or AW hangups.
Helps if you mention series ~
Old 06-17-2017, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
Helps if you mention series ~
I guess 580 or whatever.. I got it pretty recently.. when they were writing all the new laws and proposing to ban all semi-auto, magazine-fed rifles. Wanted to get one before everything is banned.

Luckily that one bill didnt go through.. we all know it will be back.

I already have a bunch of ARs and M1As, etc... I held off on the mini for years because I thought it was overpriced. After getting it, I think the price is actually fair for a well-built American rifle. The fit and finish is great.

Like everyone loves to point out, it's not some super tack driver, but that isnt the point of the rifle. It's like a $50 quartz watch is more accurate than a high end automatic watch when it comes purely to timekeeping, but there is something nice about a well-built automatic watch.

With cars, watches, etc, it's not always about pure performance. Same can be said for firearms.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:04 AM

Ive had mine for five or six years and never had a failure to fire, feed or any kind of jam. Its a newer model so the barrel is thicker, unlike the pencil barrel of older models.
Old 06-18-2017, 1:28 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I guess 580 or whatever.
I't makes a difference. Accuracy matters, and when you shoot your mouth off that your mini is only pie plate accurate please elaborate!

"580 whatever" could be pencil or retooled heavy barrel. Not only that, but were your groups shot off hand or from a bench? Bulk ammo, known good shooter?

With all the bunk out there on Mini's and their accuracy or lack there of, one would think that a real poster would support their claims with actual info.
Old 06-18-2017, 4:34 AM

Thread seems like it could use a pic... my 581 series mini 14. Its been 100% reliable and plenty accurate. Its obviously not a sub moa gun so 90% you the operators bagging on the mini are out- but its just a fun gun to shoot and everyone i let shoot itnthinks the same. This thread reminds me of mustang vs camaro. Both run great and each has a strong point.

Last edited by CaliforniaRepublicShooter; 06-18-2017 at 4:37 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloChicken View Post
Curious, can you run 5.56 in the target? Or only .223
One thing that perplexes me about the mini 6.8 is that it is only SPC1 spec and cannot run longer rounds - curious if the Target has the same limitation.
At least it makes sense with a target, as it will allow for a tighter chamber - not sure what they were thinking by limiting the 6.8 - but it swayed me from buying one.
I have a mini target and the barrel is stamped 223... A friend has a mini target also and I watched him shoot 556 in his,, not a good idea to me and I told him so... His brass flew about 6 benchs away..

My brass was flying 30 ft or so ,,, So I bought the adjustable gas block from accuracy system and now it flys halfway to the next bench (4ft)....

Another friend with a ranch rifle bought the gas port 4 pack,, and with the second smallest port his is ejecting 10ft... He could probably go to the smallest port....

I reload for my mini and I have not adjusted the harmonic balancer at all,,, I just tightened it and left it at the factory setting... My mini 14 has never had a failure to feed or extract... 5 rd ruger mags or 10 rd pro-mags I have had no problems,,,, 10 rd ruger mags I have had to file to get to lock in and they are sticky and don't drop freely..
Hope this helps.... Cheers....
Old 06-18-2017, 6:57 AM

My new 583 Mini 14 Ranch (less than 50 rounds) is still in teething mode.
As noted by many others, the factory .080 +- gas bushing launches spent brass into forever hiding places.
I bought a set of after market gas bushings and started with the .050 unit which now ejects out to 15'/18', still too far IMO. I have since changed out the .050 for the next size smaller diameter .045 gas bushing but have yet to try it out.
Also installed two Wilson Combat 1911 buffers, one forward on the gas pipe and one aft on the buffer guide rod and the slide spring.
The rifle is scoped with a Vortex Crossfire II and the Ruger factory furnished cut away base. No ejected brass has yet to hit the bottom or side of the scope.
Old 06-18-2017, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

I've owned several Mini 14s over the years---still have two earlier 183s (GB models)---one blue, one stainless---neither has ever jammed---rear sight has not fallen off---screws on sides have not fallen out---stainless rifle is usual early Mini 14 accurate, but no problems hitting most anything within range---the blued rifle is actually quite accurate, especially when my eyes were younger. Only used Ruger factory magazines so no issues there. Recently acquired a stainless 580 model---haven't had time to shoot it yet---heavy barrel should be improvement. During the 1992 Rodney King Riots, the Minis were the first long guns loaded along with my 18.5" Remington 870. The wife likes shooting the Minis so that is a plus...

Last edited by jyo; 06-18-2017 at 8:19 AM..
Old 06-18-2017, 8:40 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaRepublicShooter View Post
Thread seems like it could use a pic... my 581 series mini 14
Indeed it does..

I do have one huge complaint about the Mini-14. The tacky rubber recoil pad collects lint from the gun sock it is stored in. When I take it out of the stock, I have to remove the lint. None of my AR's have that issue, therefore AR-15 FTW.
Old 06-18-2017, 8:40 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatodeacero View Post
My new series Mini14 is very reliable, just as reliable as my Colt AR.

Unfortunately, mini14's are simply not accurate. People that say they are either got very lucky or like to spout nonsense. There is no shooting discipline that requires accuracy in which you will find anyone using a Mini14.

Stop with the nonsense and hyperbole, Mini14's almost always display disappointing to very poor accuracy even with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo.
Have you ever run good ammo through one?

I use Hornady's 7.62 ammo in my mini 30, and not only is it accurate enough to dispatch antelope or 'yote at 150 yds offhand and the round does very well with terminal ballistics.
Enough to take down the game - not so much to destroy the meat.

Not sure of accuracy from a cubicle/armchair - seems they aren't good for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundiver View Post
lol but I'm really not joking
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman96 View Post
That's the scary part, that your really that dumb
Old 06-18-2017, 8:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRacer151 View Post
I have a ton of ARs. I have a ton of Precision rifles. I have a few ARs that are built as Precision rifles. I also have a mini.

My mini just has open sights.

I don't shoot it from the bench. That's what Precision rifles are for.

My mini is fun to shoot in the off hand position at random steel targets on the range and in that regard I'd say it's plenty accurate. I also find that it is very reliable and I love that it doesn't look like every other semi auto rifle at the range.

When I get to the range and see everyone shooting their door kicker tactical ARs from the bench it's easy to understand why people disapprove of the minis accuracy. Your door kicker AR isn't a Precision rifle. If you want to do that then build a rifle for that purpose.
This stuff right here.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2017, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I't makes a difference. Accuracy matters, and when you shoot your mouth off that your mini is only pie plate accurate please elaborate!

"580 whatever" could be pencil or retooled heavy barrel. Not only that, but were your groups shot off hand or from a bench? Bulk ammo, known good shooter?

With all the bunk out there on Mini's and their accuracy or lack there of, one would think that a real poster would support their claims with actual info.
Actually all 58xxx series have the thicker barrel.

Of course if one knows anything about barrel harmonics, the pencil barrel can be just as precise with an adjustable barrel weight.
Hmmn.

Of course mini shooters are usu. more interested in shooting than "bench-racing" arguments anyway.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2017, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Actually all 58xxx series have the thicker barrel
When the 580 series started they came with the pencil barrel, about half way through they changed to the tapered barrel ~
Old 06-18-2017, 1:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
When the 580 series started they came with the pencil barrel, about half way through they changed to the tapered barrel ~
Quit bein smart haha!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-18-2017, 4:10 PM

I generally hit 6-7 inch groups at 100 yards with the Bear Gold ammo. It's good enough to enjoy the gun, and it's cheaper to shoot than brass AR stuff. It's a good pig, coyote, varmint killer with a decent variable scope. Mine is circa 2001 erra.
Old 06-18-2017, 8:59 PM

I have a 30 year old 184 and a newer 582. The 184 is good for 18" plates at 300 yds with irons and the 582 is good for 18" plates at 400 yds with a 3 MOA red dot. Good enough for me and both are dead nuts reliable. I've put 15k rds through them and only had a few FTF because of cheap aftermarket mags. 100 % reliable with factory mags. Accuracy is ammo sensitive, but I reload so it's not a problem. The pre-Ranch rifles eject about 4' and up, but the Ranch rifle ejects about 20' due to changes in the ejector which was done to eject sideways to prevent damage to optics.

Last edited by wxl; 06-18-2017 at 9:01 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 9:25 PM
Veteran Member

I honestly think everyone should own a Mini 14 and an M1A

"A bullet sounds the same in every language..."
Stewie Griffin (Family Guy Episode: Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story 2005)
Old 06-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Im not saying it's only pie plate accurate. I'm saying that's what I get with it as I'm not trying to do a whole bunch else. I guess it probably could perform better, but im not out measuring groups with it.
Obviously, it's not some kind of sniper rifle. Never will be and never was meat to me.

Accuracy is something to really depends on your application. If you're looking for precision shooting, the Mini is not the rifle for you probably. If you just want a reliable semi-auto shooter for plinking, home defense, etc, it's perfectly fine.

Last edited by Crazed_SS; 06-18-2017 at 10:25 PM..
Old 06-18-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcbr View Post
I honestly think everyone should own a Mini 14 and an M1A
I agree.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:56 PM
小さな女性
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: (34.2283° N, 118.5358° W), (33.6700° N, 117.7800° W)

Quote:
I agree.
Plus one. And to complete the package, an M1 Garand in 30-06
I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
Quote:
A society that aims for equality before liberty, will end with neither equality nor liberty.
-Milton Friedman

Quote:
It’s always seemed to me absurd that you make 100% of the people to do something, in order to make sure that 1 or 2% of the people don’t behave badly.
-Milton Friedman

Last edited by meno377; 06-18-2017 at 11:59 PM..
Old 06-19-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Indeed it does..

I do have one huge complaint about the Mini-14. The tacky rubber recoil pad collects lint from the gun sock it is stored in. When I take it out of the stock, I have to remove the lint. None of my AR's have that issue, therefore AR-15 FTW.
I know what you mean about that GD lint. Same thing happens when I reach into my pocket for exact change.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Mine was always a piece of trash, so glad I sold it and kept the scope.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckDizzle View Post

Mine was always a piece of trash, so glad I sold it and kept the scope.
Maybe you just aren't a very good shot.

No shame in that.

An Indian does look pretty stupid kicking their bow and yelling "stupid bow - what a piece of trash!".
All the while, braves everywhere are enjoying the spoils brought by the very same kind of bow ...
Just sayin'

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:

No shame in that.

An Indian does look pretty stupid kicking their bow and yelling "stupid bow - what a piece of trash!".
All the while, braves everywhere are enjoying the spoils brought by the very same kind of bow ...
Just sayin'
LMAO !

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer
California Rifle & Pistol Association Member

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 06-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

No shame in that.

Just sayin'
I can hit cans 20 feet away just as good as the next Mini 14 owner.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I can hit cans 20 feet away just as good as the next Mini 14 owner.
So, what is the problem?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2017, 12:13 PM

Chucks's Mini 14 was so bad, he couldn't hit anything, so he'd just count coup with it. Made him look good; better than his incessant rants do.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So, what is the problem?
This should be good...
Oh the anticipation.

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey
كافر
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Mini 14 is an awesome gun never had issues with mine but it's currently under care of a close friend
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
So, what is the problem?
Sometimes I like to shoot cans at 30 feet.
Old 06-19-2017, 1:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Shouldn't need a scope for that distance.
Old 06-19-2017, 1:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Seems you need to work on,
1. your shooting skills
2. Your stalking skills.

If you wait until the cans turn their back, you can (pardon the pun) sneak up then.
The trick being, identify the front and back (pro tip: use the label).

Bust of luck young Hiawatha.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-19-2017, 1:18 PM

Quote:

NRA Patron Member
NRA Range Safety Officer

كافر
Old 06-19-2017, 1:54 PM

I actually think CD's Mini 14 hate is pretty funny. We should all be thankful he doesn't hate our trucks, dogs, or wives, as he may very well have had a bad experience with any number of them. He's entitled to his opinion, however, any conclusions he has drawn, are purely anecdotal, and therefore weak at best, and most likely logical fallacies. I have a Mini 14, I like it, I have fun with it; sue me.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopalong View Post
I actually think CD's Mini 14 hate is pretty funny. We should all be thankful he doesn't hate our trucks, dogs, or wives, as he may very well have had a bad experience with any number of them. He's entitled to his opinion, however, any conclusions he has drawn, are purely anecdotal, and therefore weak at best, and most likely logical fallacies. I have a Mini 14, I like it, I have fun with it; sue me.
I believe that CD had a bad Mini, it happens, and he as every right to dislike the platform based on his experience...... That said, he never sent it back to Ruger to correct the problem, so he'll never know what a great little rifle they can be.
Old 06-19-2017, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
LOL