Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 10-22-2012, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkman View Post
Embarassing for a friend.
Odd thing thing though, was that he only shoots .45 and doesn't even own a .40 or load .40 but somehow he put a .40 in the mag. Where it came from nobody knows. I figured he picked it up earlier at ULASC and just stuck it in a mag thinking it was his without paying much attention :dunno

Al
I just pulled a .17HMR out of a new box of .22LR... stuff happens.
Old 10-22-2012, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

Took a .22lr to the neck from another guy's GSG5 while shooting my AR. Felt a little tap as it landed on me, but after it stuck to my sweaty neck for about 8 seconds, I swatted at it and made a sound like a 9 year old girl would as if being chased by a bee
Old 10-22-2012, 6:54 PM

cant hit anything at 100 yards with scoped.rifle. not sighted.in btw
Old 10-22-2012, 7:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExiled View Post
Took a .22lr to the neck from another guy's GSG5 while shooting my AR. Felt a little tap as it landed on me, but after it stuck to my sweaty neck for about 8 seconds, I swatted at it and made a sound like a 9 year old girl would as if being chased by a bee
That reminds me, the worst brass burn I ever received was to the neck. I took a friend shooting for the first time and stood near him (wanted to make sure he didn't do anything dumb), but out of the way of the flying brass.

For some reason, one .223 casing ejected oddly and hit me in the neck. I immediately flinched and brought my chin down. Bad move. That ended up trapping the casing between my chin and neck, leaving me a nice burn. Took forever to heal.
Old 10-23-2012, 8:29 AM

after shooting about 200 rounds thru my AR, i leaned my rifle against the table while i was pulling out more ammo and cleaning off the table, i noticed my rifle sliding and about to fall, so without thinking i quickly grab it by the hot barrel with my bare hand, it didn't burn my hand that bad, but it hurt the rest of the day, luckily no one noticed.......
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender152 View Post
That reminds me, the worst brass burn I ever received was to the neck. I took a friend shooting for the first time and stood near him (wanted to make sure he didn't do anything dumb), but out of the way of the flying brass.

For some reason, one .223 casing ejected oddly and hit me in the neck. I immediately flinched and brought my chin down. Bad move. That ended up trapping the casing between my chin and neck, leaving me a nice burn. Took forever to heal.
I still have a mark on my neck and its been since May.. I still get asked if its a hickey...
Old 10-23-2012, 11:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just last week headed to Reed's afterwork. Being a good safe California shooter I had my XD locked in its case. My empty mags locked in the side pocket of my range bag. 200 rounds of ammo locked in a seperate compartment of the range bag. Can't be to careful.

Forgot the key at home . . .

Ending up breaking off the 2 locking zippers ($49 range bag) and destroying the factory gun case to get the lock off.
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member

Loaded the mag from my HiPoint 9mm carbine into the wife's Kimber. Seemed locked in but wouldn't chamber a round (thank god!)

Slapped a mag into my PX4, racked the slide, squeeze the trigger and the mag falls out the bottom of the gun. Took me 4 tries before I realized it was the mag and not a loose wing nut. The spare mags I bought were for hte compact, not the ful lsize, and were a tad shorter than the full size mags, so it would click slightly into place but fall out shortly after.
It was not a threat. It was an exaggerated response to an uncompromising stance. I was taught never to make a threat unless you are prepared to carry it out and I am not a fan of carrying anything. Even watching other people carrying things makes me uncomfortable. Mainly because of the possibility they may ask me to help.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member

Used to have a Ruger P95 (w/ambi mag release) and something about my grip on that gun, I would always hit the release and drop the freaking mag on the ground. It never happened to anyone else.

I sold it to my friend since I couldn't trust my life to it, and it made me look stupid. I still shoot it from time to time, and it still happens.

Too bad, it's a great gun other than that.

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 10-24-2012, 4:16 PM

On my way to the range, put the bag on the ground & rifle in the car trunk. Closed the trunk got in the car & backed up the garage. WTF did I just run over something? Range bag had tire tread over it, AR mags are not pancaked but the lips are screwed-up, ammo was ok.
Old 10-24-2012, 5:47 PM

Was at Cop school and was practicing draw and fire at 10 yds, it was Summer and quite hot, my hands sweaty and my issue gun was a Glock.

Whistle blew, I drew and the pistol and it went flying out of my slippery hand clattering all the way to the target.

Doubly embarrassing as I was the older, experienced guy that people looked to for leadership and advice...... It was a great way to pass my firearm to the bad guy, oy!
Old 10-24-2012, 7:24 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanIsrael View Post
Set up the Remi 700 in 7mm Rem. Mag. At ASR when I was not expecting the recoil sent scope flying into my nose and put a nice slit across it..walked into ASR office and asked the lovely ladies for a band aid. Pretty girl looked at me with a bleeding slit nose and said " 1st time shooter"? Sadly no , fired by mistake while trying to position rifle. WoW what a kick.
And the safety is off while you are mucking around with a loaded gun getting into position? Please change your range habits before you kill somebody, thanks.
Old 10-24-2012, 7:27 PM
Calguns Addict

And here's mine, which is actually ironic considering my last post:

I was out on BLM land with some friends, some shotguns and a mechanical clay thrower. One guy was new to shotgun shooting so I demonstrated basic shotgun handling to him and said "Now I'll put all this into action and actually demonstrate how to hit a clay pigeon." So I got ready, said "Pull!" and my other friend triggered the clay thrower. The clay went soaring through the air; I tracked it and squeezed the trigger with a perfect follow-through.

The shotgun did not fire and the clay pigeon landed gracefully in the desert sand.

The safety was on.
Old 10-24-2012, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

Red face

went to check out my she rifle and the "new" mags" i had scored. all six of them. got all set up and ready to load them up...left the mags back at home on the table.

now mind you i shoot at a quarry, and have to bring ALL the stuff table pop-up shade etc. and a one hr drive to get there.

Old 10-24-2012, 9:25 PM
Banned

Shot steel core ammo out of my AK at the range and sparks were flying everywhere and everyone stopped shooting to see who the hooyah was creating an early 4th of July show. It was so bad they called a cease fire. I dont know whether it was all the smoke I was creating or if it was the sparks. I was personally responsible for the new "NO Steel Core ammo" policy at this range hence forward. to this day it was the most fun I have had at a CA range...
Old 10-24-2012, 9:37 PM

loading my iPhone into my ar wondering why the heck my magazine wont seat
Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
I once tipped a shotgun over on a public range. The girl next door screamed in terror. I was embarrased for her and me.
That girl was right to be scared. Hopefully you didn't scar her for life from never touching a gun again, lol!
My wife sleeps better knowing we have a zombie killer... Saiga AK47! Although my neighbor with his AR has restless nights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksandreCz View Post
Thank god the Federal Government is there to protect us from the Federal Government
WTS: Revision 'Desert Locust' tactical Ballistic/Protective eyewear goggles NEW & USED pairs
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=737563
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 AM

Took my AR15 5.56 to Angeles, waited in line Paid for lane fee, target and spotting scope, laid the towel on the bench, laid down my AR, set up spotting scope, put up some shoot n c targets on the frame, had a cigarette while walking around to see what people are shooting for 10min until the next cease fire. 10 min later I walked down range set up my target and went back behind the yellow line. Range is now hot, mags come out, I open up the ammo can and look down at 500 rounds of 7.62x39. Lesson learned I pack everything the night before and double check everything before I leave.

1st time shooting my AR. Before zeroing in my sights I decide to shoot my target @ 50 yards. On the 2nd shot, I shoot the leg of the plastic frame, the frame swings over in front of the frame next to mine. The guy looks over at me with a WTF look on his face. I felt really bad apologized to the guy. He ended up being a cool guy gave me couple of good info on the AR platform and info on good and bad optics.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:50 AM

I shot a few rifle matches with rifle that had internal magazine, and then had a detachable magazine installed. On one of the stages where we were supposed to load one at a time I dropped a cartridge in and it fell right through the rifle -- having forgotten to put the magazine in.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdib870 View Post
Lol!!!

It's last week. I went to shoot my 1911 and my AR. Cleaned them all and unloaded the mags. Went to range. And forgot my 1911 mags at home on the table lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 7:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna quesadilla View Post
And here's mine, which is actually ironic considering my last post:

I was out on BLM land with some friends, some shotguns and a mechanical clay thrower. One guy was new to shotgun shooting so I demonstrated basic shotgun handling to him and said "Now I'll put all this into action and actually demonstrate how to hit a clay pigeon." So I got ready, said "Pull!" and my other friend triggered the clay thrower. The clay went soaring through the air; I tracked it and squeezed the trigger with a perfect follow-through.

The shotgun did not fire and the clay pigeon landed gracefully in the desert sand.

The safety was on.
Done that more than once
Old 10-25-2012, 9:22 AM

First time out with my piston AR, I had an Eotech and Troy flip up sights, but they were flipped down. My plan was to sight in the Eotech, pull it off, sight in irons, and throw the red dot back on to see if there was a change in POI. After sighting in my Eotech, I pull it off then grab the front sight that was mounted on the gas block, I will never make that mistake again.
Old 10-25-2012, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

At my first range trip ever i rented a ak and it failed to feed on me. I tried to clear it and the bolt flew forward pinching my finger and causing me to bleed into the rifle! Ro made me clean rifle. Needless to say i was embarrased and didnt come back until i thought they forgot about me
Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Was doing a steel shoot at night when I was new to the scene, was shooting and then when I fired, and the shell did not eject....Went ok, racked the empty shell out and couldn't figure out why the next round wouldn't go fully into battery.... There was so much rapid fire all around, and I had a few rounds with bad primers, that I didn't even notice that a projectile didn't come out of the barrel...never even heard of a squib before that time. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't chamber.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Si vis pacem, para bellum

╠╦═╬ Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a store, not a government agency.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by em9sredbeam View Post
There was so much rapid fire all around, and I had a few rounds with bad primers, that I didn't even notice that a projectile didn't come out of the barrel...never even heard of a squib before that time. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't chamber.
I guess you were lucky it wouldn't chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhomoki1125 View Post
At my first range trip ever i rented a ak and it failed to feed on me. I tried to clear it and the bolt flew forward pinching my finger and causing me to bleed into the rifle!
Another firearms-related injury! When will the carnage end?
Old 10-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Not really a range story but I picked up my SPS recently and locked it at the store because i live within a school zone, When I got home I realized I left the key at the store and had to cut off my lock =\
Old 10-26-2012, 8:51 AM

went to my first 1K competition , at 1000 yards I'm on row 9 (move the scope 1/4 inch ) another row 9 " who knew " and I shot anothers target ( national champion, world record holders ) they were very nice about my mistake, just glad it wasnt another world record group they were working on during that relay . the rest was down hill and ya I did it again had a good group going and the last 2 out of 5 were gone , not for long RSO new where to look and who to look at ......................and to make things par for the weekend I even killed the hospital target , and ya there are a few witness here who can verify my major screw ups , good folks though, super nice/understanding group of people ...will do it again , "well maybe"

Last edited by demo40; 10-26-2012 at 9:05 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Shot some reloads out my M1 earlier this month at 200 yards. Had elevation dialed in great, but kept stringing horizontally across the 7-10 rings. Gave up after a few more clips. Had the gun in the rack while talking to friends about it and one of them touched the front sight. It wiggled back and forth about 1/8-1/4 of an inch.
Old 10-27-2012, 6:39 AM

I think forgetting the lock keys or mags/ammo at home is a very common blunder. However it's far worse when they are left at the range instead And it's a damned shame when it's a $600 scope. No, no one turned it in to the range office.

My embarrassing moment happened while shooting a highpower match for the first time. It turns out you are supposed to take note of your shooting position number and ONLY shoot at the corresponding numbered target 200 yards down range

The guy next to me was cool about the extra holes in his target but I pretty much ruined his score.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:36 AM

The first time I tried to use a hand clay thrower was pure comedy for the crowded line at Spenceville. After providing the laughter for a while, (and wasting 10 to 15 clays), some guy finally took pity on me and came over to show me how to do it. Felt like a complete dumbass, but hey I didn't know there was a technique....
Old 10-28-2012, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

After rapid firing about 200 rounds of XM193, I set my SR15 with triple tap up against the range divider and I had not noticed that it had slid down a little. It didn't fall over... It was now directly resting on the triple tap against the divider which had begun to MELT through!

My buddy laughed and I still have tiny traces of melted plastic on my muzzle. Those things get hot.
Old 10-30-2012, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdib870 View Post
So I'm guessing your Iphone is in one of those nifty Magpul cases?

Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...
Old 10-30-2012, 9:47 AM

Set up in the middle of the line up, probably 20 people on each side of me. Made a perfect swing, and the head of my driver landed 150 yards down range leaving me holding a stick...

Oh - wrong kind of range....
Old 10-30-2012, 9:58 AM

The driver head landed 150 yards? That IS impressive!
Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM

talk about the lack of safety on most of my guns and how i dont like them, forgot to turn off the safety on my 12 gauge...
Old 10-30-2012, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNCaliber View Post
drove to burro canyon from Fullerton with my AR locked and forgot the gun lock keys in my garage, had to cut the lock off, so embarassed asking for cutters for my lock
I did the same exact thing. Except i just used a screwdriver and twisted the lock until it broke
Old 11-01-2012, 6:33 PM
Veteran Member

A few years back, I was shooting my semiauto 5.56 for an hour or so, When a friend asked me if I wanted to fire his Beowolf. HELL YES! He said he wasn't sure if it was zeroed or not. I lined up at the steel 100 yds out and squeezed the trigger. PINGGG. Told him the scope was good. But I failed to realize the extra recoil of the 50. After all, It looked just like my 5.56. The scope cracked me right between the eyes... The guy next to me said I was bleeding, Yeah, Like I didn't know that. I still want one!
Old 11-01-2012, 7:24 PM

Not really me but on the group on the next lane over at an indoor range.

Two guys came in with a rental, a box of ammo, and a single target. One of them tries to hang the target on the hanger, comes loose and falls forward.

He starts to crawl under the barrier to get the target. I yell a cease fire, grab him by the belt, and call the RSO over.

RSO gives them a quick pep talk, they smile embarrassly, and I say no harm and no fowl, and let them shoot a couple rounds through my 1911.
Old 11-01-2012, 7:54 PM

Went trap shooting with my newer shotgun, got up to the line shot about five rounds before I hear laughing from behind me. Was shooting my friends gun and didn't even notice. But heck, that wasn't EVEN my most embarrassing moment. I am new, I have lots!

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 11-03-2012, 1:08 AM
Banned

Bought a brand new upper. Took the day off work. Drove over an hour to Sunnyvale gun and rod. Paid admission fee. Setup at the bench. First round blew up the gas block. Packed my bags. Drove hour back home.