Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-03-2017, 9:56 PM

Did 2 PPTs without a hiccup at Kilroy's in West Sac. The employees were helpful, knowledgeable about their job, and take pride in their occupation and service.
It's too bad we cant expect that from BP or the others mentioned.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:56 PM

I've done PPT's at a few places in & near Sacramento. Some are great and some are atrocious.

Unless you have impeccable paperwork or your CCW, those to avoid:
The Gun Room, Elk Grove
Wild Bills, Elk Grove
Wild Sports, Orangevale
Sierra Guns, Modesto - I would avoid this place all together, slow as molasses, both with initial transfer AND pickup.

Places with great service:
Ammo Depot, Rancho Cordova
Survival Instincts, Rancho Cordova - my new favorite
KW Defense, Stockton
Ammunition Supply Point, Vacaville
Sierra Gun Exhange, Cameron Park
Old 01-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy9161 View Post
I did a PPT the other day at Sportsmans Warehouse in Rocklin.....Granted we arrived as the store opened, but the gal helping did not have a problem getting things done.
All gun related purchases at SW are best first thing in the morning.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:23 AM

Default Elite Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw45 View Post
A mile away from them is Elite Arms. They will treat you right and professional like.
I would rather do business with Bass Pro then the Elite Arms A-holes. They quoted me and a friend $110.00 for a DROS on rifles WE paid and did all the work to have shipped to them just for the DROS paperwork.
My hunting buddy lost his safety certificate, called them and was told to come in and they will get his duplicate copy ( allowed under current law). gets there and then was told by owner, that unless he remembered who in the store did the certificate and on what day, he wasn't going to do it just for a $5.00 sale and too much time. I have bought 5 guns from them in the past but they have lost my business forever after these stunts.
Happy to offer Tunn Tavern Arms in Manteca, (home based FFL) for an alternative, No lines, No number system and no A-HOLES behind a counter with giant egos! Oh and $50 for DROS and happy to do PPT's

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/s...ignid=XR029579

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” - Thomas Jefferson, of Virginia
Old 01-04-2017, 1:01 PM

Just stay away from big stores like Bass Pro shop,they don't know anything.I had similar problems with Cabelas in Reno,i found the "California version" of Beretta PX4 storm (it was on the roster,10 rd mags etc.) and tried to buy it (ship it to my FFL in Cali).I wasted about 2 hours of my time and they told me they can't ship this Berretta to California since "its illegal in California".
Old 01-04-2017, 1:07 PM
GF complains about CG
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

[QUOTE=SandHill;19427752]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litespeeds View Post
I would also add Big 5 Sporting Goods as another place to avoid for PPT's. Basically stay away from big chain stores.QUOTE]

I understand this sentiment in general, but I have to give Big 5 props for one thing. In the waning weeks of 2016 I did two PPT's of AR15's at two different Big 5's, one buying and one selling. I couldn't find anywhere else to do it - LGS's were saying their safe's were full, and basically told me to get the hell out of their store.

Big 5 was not only willing to do the PPT's, they were actually very gracious about it. Not super fast, but willing and able to do them when no one else was. So in my book Big 5 is a cut above Dick's, Bass Pro and other chain stores.
I second Big 5, especially during last quarter of last year. I had lowers and long guns to PPT as a seller and buyer, but no SF bay area FFL would do it because their reason was that their safes were full, which may or may not be true. However, Big 5 did the PPTs when no one else would.
Old 01-04-2017, 3:24 PM

This post made me laugh... Had a similar experience at our local store in Rancho Cucamonga. First off, the gun had a trigger lock on it with no key, they wouldn't let it in the door because the store needed to have access to the trigger. I wasn't sure if they needed to rent the gun out during the 10 day wait period or what... Second, got up to the counter finally (after drilling out the existing lock) and the counter person asked for both our information. Ok not a problem... Until they asked me, the seller, for my fsc card, and second proof of residence. As I didn't have that on me at the time, I had to walk down stairs and to the other side of the parking lot to grab the registration from the car. After several hours wasted for both parties we got out of there unscathed.... The manager that didn't know squat, now works at another prominent gun store locally. I refuse to work with that person under any circumstance. Simply put, they (Bass Pro) just doesn't understand how the PPT works. They can sell you a gun no problem... PPT, go somewhere else!!
Old 01-04-2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
the whole FFL requirement for a PPT is ridiculous

they just passed that crap here in NV - fortunately the Nevada AG intervened, citing it as unenforceable

guess we'll see what they cook up next

i've never bought a used firearm thru PPT before but these stories seem all to common
Oh man really? I'm genuinely surprised that could pass in NV. I guess CA is spreading no wonder people hate us.
Old 01-04-2017, 3:54 PM

Default The worst PPT experience can be had at Bass Pro

I had one at GFOS in Dublin, I went to PPT a stripped lower and they said they don't transfer stripped lowers. I called them earlier in the day to confirm they would do it and they said they would. Ended up driving to Walnut Creek, seriously **** GFOS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325inthe510 View Post
I had one at GFOS in Dublin, I went to PPT a stripped lower and they said they don't transfer stripped lowers. I called them earlier in the day to confirm they would do it and they said they would. Ended up driving to Walnut Creek, seriously **** GFOS

Definitely the worst experience ive ever had doing a ppt. I have not nor will i ever step foot in there again.

They dont do ppts on weekends even though i called and they said they do. Then i was told by a lady at the front that it depends on the mood of the guy in the back.

That place is bull****. They can all go eff themselves
Old 01-15-2017, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Wild Sports is a huge cluster F. They don't know what the he'll they are doing !!! 2.5 hrs to do a simple transfer. Never again will I step foot into their door !!!

Old 01-15-2017, 10:29 PM

IN December 2016, I did a PPT at the Pasadena Turners. Waited 2 1/2 hours to do the paperwork. 10 days later, I waited for 4 hours to pick up my pistol. Never again.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro911 View Post
IN December 2016, I did a PPT at the Pasadena Turners. Waited 2 1/2 hours to do the paperwork. 10 days later, I waited for 4 hours to pick up my pistol. Never again.
Not that I would do a PPT at Turners, I haven't since 2002, but what did you expect doing a PPT at the height of a gun panic period in CA? Doing it at a Turners was really adding fuel to the fire.

I tried to conduct my normal gun buying and collecting as normal during Dec 2016 it was hard. Had to wait an hour to DROS 3 handguns I bought due to all the panic purchasers in front of me.Pickup was long wait too. I tried to avoid PPT and non essential stuff last month.

A lot easier now, most gun shops I've been in in CA in Jan seem to be hurting for business. Ones that know I'm a serious cash buyer have been being even nicer than normal to me.
Old 01-19-2017, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

" that unless he remembered who in the store did the certificate and on what day, he wasn't going to do it just for a $5.00 sale and too much time. "

I got a certificate at Basspro. When I was handed it, I was told that only the individual who actually did the test could provide a duplicate if lost. For legal reasons. And that would be just about impossible in a big store like BP to find the exact same clerk there if I came in months from now for a replacement. And therefore I would be out of luck if it was lost and would have to retest and repay.
Old 01-20-2017, 7:12 AM
Veteran Member

I did enjoy walking around in Bass Pro and looking at all of the displays once, but the gun counter was stacked 3 deep with people, and the gun prices were nothing special. I did eat lunch there, but never found anything I was interested in buying.

I haven't been back.
Old 01-20-2017, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetaxman View Post
Not the same experience in TX with BP when it comes to purchasing. Yes the rules are different, but they make it relatively painless. Typically a 10 minute exercise once you've chosen the gun and then another 5 mins to checkout. Compared to my LGS that's about 10 minutes longer than normal.

I suspect the experience the OP had is a combination of over reaching CA rules alongside less experienced staff. From a management/legal/risk perspective not an ideal scenario.
That is a huge part of it. Stores makes policy to CYA with DOJ. The policy is not always in the customers favor but again this state makes it a PITA to sell guns. I worked at BP late last year during a DOJ audit. It takes about 4 days. They made BP do some things immediately, made them overhaul the range to add new lead filters and they now have to keep records of the round count. I don't know why anyone would expect to go anywhere for a PPT and expect it to get done in 15 minutes. This state is in an ongoing CF.
Old 01-20-2017, 8:59 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailboy View Post
Wild Sports is a huge cluster F. They don't know what the he'll they are doing !!! 2.5 hrs to do a simple transfer. Never again will I step foot into their door !!!

You have Sac Black Rifle right in that area now, they are much better and faster with PPT.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 01-21-2017, 4:48 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
That is a huge part of it. Stores makes policy to CYA with DOJ. The policy is not always in the customers favor but again this state makes it a PITA to sell guns. I worked at BP late last year during a DOJ audit. It takes about 4 days. They made BP do some things immediately, made them overhaul the range to add new lead filters and they now have to keep records of the round count. I don't know why anyone would expect to go anywhere for a PPT and expect it to get done in 15 minutes. This state is in an ongoing CF.
I've done PPT's at competent non crybaby FFL's that took 10 mins when not busy and a prepared knowledgeable buyer.
Old 01-21-2017, 5:53 AM

best places are usually small mom and pop stores, the big corps are usually too busy to make a ten dollar sale
Old 01-21-2017, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I've done PPT's at competent non crybaby FFL's that took 10 mins when not busy and a prepared knowledgeable buyer.
Well no kidding. But during the last 6 months of 2016 it was hard to find a store that wasn't busy. I was first in at Turners a year ago and bought an M1A in about 25 minutes and that included Turners not having a SKU for the gun. The people in line after me had a lousy morning.
For a PPT find a guy that does them by appointment. That's what I would do anymore but now you are trying to coordinate 3 schedules.
Like I said it's a giant CF in this state anymore and long waits are the new normal.
Old 01-21-2017, 8:54 AM

No better in other states. Here in Maryland we know of 2 recent instances where BP clerks and their supervisors entered wrong info and caused major delays in customer pickup after the mandated wait. Probably almost a daily event if we have knowledge of it happening twice.

Understand this before you enter the door or its just plain on you for not doing due diligence
Old 03-16-2017, 4:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Mist Maker View Post
I would rather do business with Bass Pro then the Elite Arms A-holes. They quoted me and a friend $110.00 for a DROS on rifles WE paid and did all the work to have shipped to them just for the DROS paperwork.
My hunting buddy lost his safety certificate, called them and was told to come in and they will get his duplicate copy ( allowed under current law). gets there and then was told by owner, that unless he remembered who in the store did the certificate and on what day, he wasn't going to do it just for a $5.00 sale and too much time. I have bought 5 guns from them in the past but they have lost my business forever after these stunts.
Happy to offer Tunn Tavern Arms in Manteca, (home based FFL) for an alternative, No lines, No number system and no A-HOLES behind a counter with giant egos! Oh and $50 for DROS and happy to do PPT's

Hmmm. Interesting post. Since this was two and 1/2 months ago, I cant speak to the exact circumstances. But, our transfer fee is $100 + dros/and tax if applicable for a rifle/handgun. Has been, and will be.

Regarding the cert, the only way it can be reissued is by the person who issued it. We wouldnt care about what day, that would make no sense at all. We would only ask if you knew WHO had issued it, since only that person can reissue it. The DOJ stopped charging the $5 reissue fee so that might of been in error.

Sorry you had a bad experience, since obviously we strive to do much better than that.
209-823-4400

Webstore http://store.elitearmsandsupply.com/
www.facebook.com/elitearmsandsupply

Our new web store is up and running!

Sig Sauer, Glock, Vortex, Kimber, Beretta, Benelli and Wilson Combat Dealers.
Old 03-16-2017, 6:37 PM

My worst ppt experience ever was at Spencer's firearms in Madera Ca.
Old 03-17-2017, 12:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I can never understand why people try to PPT at big box stores.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvejunkie View Post
Hmmm. Interesting post. Since this was two and 1/2 months ago, I cant speak to the exact circumstances. But, our transfer fee is $100 + dros/and tax if applicable for a rifle/handgun. Has been, and will be.

Regarding the cert, the only way it can be reissued is by the person who issued it. We wouldnt care about what day, that would make no sense at all. We would only ask if you knew WHO had issued it, since only that person can reissue it. The DOJ stopped charging the $5 reissue fee so that might of been in error.

Sorry you had a bad experience, since obviously we strive to do much better than that.
Just to be clear, for a transfer sent to you from a private party or an FFL, you charge $100 plus DROS fee. for a walk-in PPT your charge $35 as the law allows? Or are you saying your face to face PPT's are $100 plus?
Old 03-20-2017, 3:22 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPUTYBILL View Post
Just to be clear, for a transfer sent to you from a private party or an FFL, you charge $100 plus DROS fee. for a walk-in PPT your charge $35 as the law allows? Or are you saying your face to face PPT's are $100 plus?
PPT is always 35 (per the law). Transfers from out of state are 100
209-823-4400

Webstore http://store.elitearmsandsupply.com/
www.facebook.com/elitearmsandsupply

Our new web store is up and running!

Sig Sauer, Glock, Vortex, Kimber, Beretta, Benelli and Wilson Combat Dealers.
Old 03-20-2017, 3:31 PM
Veteran Member

Just wanted to throw it out there that I had another great PPT experience at Tracy Rifle and Pistol on Sunday. The store was packed too, but we waited less that 15 minutes to be helped and were out the door 5 minutes after that. Can't wait to give you more of my money Mike.