Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 03-20-2017, 9:49 AM

Default .223 AR hunting

I recently built a 20-inch bull barrel AR that is very accurate at 300 yards and plan on using it for my next deer or boar hunt, I know a 223 round can definitely take down deer or even boar with the right ammo and I do realize its a small caliber but I don't want to buy another rifle and have another caliber to buy (I will do that later down the year), I can shoot pretty accurately so shot placement shouldn't be an issue my question to my fellow cal gunners is what are your thoughts on using 223 for hunting in a AR platform? (please don't tell me to buy a rifle in whatever your favorite hunting round is)

thanks in advance
Old 03-20-2017, 9:54 AM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

What bullet do you plan on using?
Old 03-20-2017, 9:57 AM

I'm debating since they have to be led free now, i was planning on buying 3 or 4 different kinds and trying them all, any you would suggest for deer or boar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdogg21 View Post
What bullet do you plan on using?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvaro.salazar View Post
I recently built a 20-inch bull barrel AR that is very accurate at 300 yards and plan on using it for my next deer or boar hunt, I know a 223 round can definitely take down deer or even boar with the right ammo and I do realize its a small caliber but I don't want to buy another rifle and have another caliber to buy (I will do that later down the year), I can shoot pretty accurately so shot placement shouldn't be an issue my question to my fellow cal gunners is what are your thoughts on using 223 for hunting in a AR platform? (please don't tell me to buy a rifle in whatever your favorite hunting round is)

thanks in advance
Seems you've made up your mind and have all the answers, why even ask us for an opinion?

Are you an experienced hunter? If not, use a bigger gun and bring an experienced hunter for moral support.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
I'm debating since they have to be led free now, i was planning on buying 3 or 4 different kinds and trying them all, any you would suggest for deer or boar?
With the induction of lead free ammo and it's newer technology still somewhat unproven, I would shoot a different caliber if you plan to shoot out to 300 yards.

Game animals don't present themselves like a paper target nor do you have the luxury of a shooting bench.

Can you hit the animal? Sure. How far do you wish to track it and in what conditions are you willing to do so?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 AM

I've been hunting plenty of times but I guess I should have stated that never with a 223, and things like ammo for these kind of situations and advice for shot placement or advice/opinion in general for hunting with this round would be helpful, that's all.

[QUOTE=NapalmCheese;19845342]Seems you've made up your mind and have all the answers, why even ask us for an opinion?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Aha! thanks for the advice, yes that was one of my concerns because i know how frustrating it can be to track down a deer and I am not a fan of the new led free ammo, the furthest ive seen a deer or boar in the area that I go hunting would be about 150-200 yards, any ammo you would suggest trying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
With the induction of lead free ammo and it's newer technology still somewhat unproven, I would shoot a different caliber if you plan to shoot out to 300 yards.

Game animals don't present themselves like a paper target nor do you have the luxury of a shooting bench.

Can you hit the animal? Sure. How far do you wish to track it and in what conditions are you willing to do so?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 AM

I'd get a 300 BLK upper. It will fit with the .223 lower and has a lot more punch. This way you don't have to get a whole new set up. the 300 isn't as accurate on long distance shots, but once you get used to it, you'll be fine.

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 03-20-2017, 10:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

thanks in advance
[QUOTE=alvaro.salazar;19845373]I've been hunting plenty of times but I guess I should have stated that never with a 223, and things like ammo for these kind of situations and advice for shot placement or advice/opinion in general for hunting with this round would be helpful, that's all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmCheese View Post
Seems you've made up your mind and have all the answers, why even ask us for an opinion?
In the OP you mention having ONLY a 223 gun, then you say you have hunted plenty of times. With what did you hunt with previously, what did you hunt, at what range?

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Just a kind observation.

Sorry Napalm. Not directing this to you. If copied and pasted wrong
Old 03-20-2017, 10:17 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Aha! thanks for the advice, yes that was one of my concerns because i know how frustrating it can be to track down a deer and I am not a fan of the new led free ammo, the furthest ive seen a deer or boar in the area that I go hunting would be about 150-200 yards, any ammo you would suggest trying?
Anything constructed with lead.😄
Old 03-20-2017, 10:20 AM

Thanks! yeah I've heard its a good round and I would only need an upper, my buddy is currently building one for hunting so after i see how his rifle does i might do it as well, thank you sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiro22 View Post
I'd get a 300 BLK upper. It will fit with the .223 lower and has a lot more punch. This way you don't have to get a whole new set up. the 300 isn't as accurate on long distance shots, but once you get used to it, you'll be fine.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:23 AM

Thumbs up

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Anything constructed with lead.😄
Old 03-20-2017, 10:31 AM

to answer your observation I used to do deer and boar with a 12gauge but and have used a 270 deer hunting (although i didn't kill anything) the rifle was borrowed and with the new laws you cant borrow firearms anymore unfortunately.

[QUOTE=taperxz;19845416]
Quote:
I've been hunting plenty of times but I guess I should have stated that never with a 223, and things like ammo for these kind of situations and advice for shot placement or advice/opinion in general for hunting with this round would be helpful, that's all.

In the OP you mention having ONLY a 223 gun, then you say you have hunted plenty of times. With what did you hunt with previously, what did you hunt, at what range?

You seem to be contradicting yourself. Just a kind observation.

Sorry Napalm. Not directing this to you. If copied and pasted wrong
Old 03-20-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Better yet a 6.5 grendel.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Broadside, avoid bone, in the vitals, 62 or 70 grain (T)TSX at 125 yards or less should provide enough velocity for expansion and enough energy to make an entrance and exit hole. Two holes in the pleural cavity and through both lungs (or heart) will 100% kill something sooner rather than later and should provide plenty of opportunity for bright red foamy blood to leak out so you can more easily follow the trail. This gives you a large target but only one or two angles that work well. You'll have to be patient, you'll have to pass up other shots.

You could just say you're going to head shoot it, but that's a much smaller target and no one wants to blow the lower jaw off a deer if they miss.

Anything other than the above described broadside shot reduces your chances of successfully putting two holes in the pleural cavity, two holes through both lungs, and your chances of having a good blood trail to follow.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

lead free only on state lands and condor area till 2019
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

TSX will work. Not a great idea though.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM

What is the twist on your barrel. Need 1 in 9 for 62 tsx or 1 in 8 for 70 gr
Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM

1in 8 bull barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by britlab View Post
What is the twist on your barrel. Need 1 in 9 for 62 tsx or 1 in 8 for 70 gr
Old 03-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are hunting with a 223 either shoot squirrels/yotes or have someone to back you up with something larger than a 6mm/243.
Better yet get a caliber/cartridge that is better suited for hunting deer/pigs.

I understand you are an expert hunter. I am just an experienced hunter who has shot many, many animals including deer/pigs/pronghorns/sheep/Africa PG and a few other assorted animals plus may thousands of squirrels as well as PD, birds and such over many years.
I have all too often seen under gunned people do poorly. That is not to say you need any super mag for hunting them either.

If you feel a need to use an AR get a 6.5 upper---maybe a 6.8(not my choice) or a 450 and avoid long shots.

Show some respect for the animal you are trying to kill.

PS---If you carried a 270 rifle but did not kill anything then that does not count. You were taking an armed hike and not successfully hunting. I have done many of those here in Ca. But I have had many, many successful hunts also here over the years.

My 2 Cents and I am done with this thread since it will just become worthless for any real information. I also think you made up your mind and probably should have just not posted to start with also.
Old 03-20-2017, 1:07 PM

Gentlemen, I hope you don't take this post the wrong way, I was just asking for advice for those who have used this kind of setup while hunting or similar, I am most definitely not an expert hunter but merely just asking for opinions on ammunition or info about range, shot placement etc... no need for reply on this post as I will be doing my own research now instead of asking my fellow enthusiasts

thank you all for the feedback
Old 03-20-2017, 2:01 PM

Always choose the caliber that can cleanly kill the largest the species your hunting can offer at the furthest distances you are comfortable shooting.

Will the 223? (I'm assuming it's 223. or 5.56) cleanly kill a 350lb boar at 300yds? No.

Are you experienced or disciplined enough to pass on any and every shot that ethically dosent fall into the initial paragraph at the top? I've been hunting and or guiding for close to 30 years and I can't say I'd be diciplined enough to pass on a trophy buck with a less than capable caliber. So I hunt with a caliber that allows me to not have to make these choices in the field. I use a caliber that fits the criteria at the top
Old 03-20-2017, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

Do more research on .223
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 03-20-2017, 2:39 PM
Calguns Addict

I think its a poor decision.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The 300 BLK leaves A LOT to be desired for a pig/deer round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Better but still not good. For a dedicated pig or deer upper on an AR I would start with a 243 or 25 WSSM.
Old 03-20-2017, 2:51 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

How good is your accuracy under field conditions? As in shooting without a bench and bags
Old 03-20-2017, 2:54 PM

im pretty decent in field conditions and the area where I hunt you very rarely see game further out than 120-150 yards due to the vegetation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
How good is your accuracy under field conditions? As in shooting without a bench and bags
Old 03-20-2017, 3:43 PM
Veteran Member

Default ><

Then go with a bullet designed for animals your hunting, take the shot you can make and enjoy the experiance.
Old 03-20-2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonefly-2 View Post
Will a 6.5 grendel upper fit a .223 lower seamlessly?

Doc.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Walk softly and carry a big stick!
Old 03-20-2017, 5:00 PM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

All the .223 lead free options are varmint bullets

Yes a 6.5G upper will just go right on your .223 lower.
Old 03-20-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
I'm an old walnut and blue steel sort of guy but i'm told it's one of the options, are you considering an upgrade?

The reason i ask is because the the very good advice the OP got with respect to broad side shots is a poor option in the terrain you and i have talked about hunting.

A heart shot is certainly %100 lethal and a great option in a nebraska corn field where the animal could still run 100 yards but in broken country 100 yards may as well be a mile sometimes due to cliffs, heavy cover etc.
Old 03-20-2017, 6:58 PM

I have killed many deer with a .50cal muzzle loader 300wby 30-06 and believe me even though shot placement was good they dont always drop and tracking in said conditions is not very easy at times nothing like you see in shows where theres open fields and ranges we are dealing with rugged terrain and it can get difficult luckily I have recovered all my game taken but have also ran into remains of bad shots or people just giving up.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:28 PM

I plan on loading 60 grain partitions if I do this year deer in Oregon, for my tikka 223.
I would do 300 yards if conditions were right. But rather keep it less. My twist is 1:10 otherwise I'd load 70 grains and would have no problem at 300.
I don't get 300 black out.
7.62x39 would be my choice over that.
That's another rifle I have to shoot deer with.
Old 03-20-2017, 7:37 PM

Let me start by saying that I agree 100% with BigBoarStopper's advice to use a more appropriate caliber. That should be your first choice. However, if you insist on using a .223, and are capable of passing on larger hogs, I would use a 70 grain Barnes TSX. I have used this bullet with excellent results on California blacktail deer. I have also used it on smaller pigs (60-125 pounds), which is what I prefer anyway. I am not a trophy hunter and usually pass on larger boars, which I find generally to be inferior table fare. I would NOT use a .223 on a large boar.

I reload these rounds and have not seen one offered commercially. There is a .556 version available through Midway USA. These may or may not be appropriate for your rifle depending on whether it is actually chambered .556, .223 or .223 Wilde.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/66...free-box-of-20
Old 03-20-2017, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Kinda weird you are experienced enough to hunt deer and pig with a .223 and don't even know what bullet to use.
Old 03-20-2017, 8:28 PM
CALGUNS-take me away
CGN Contributor

I think most on here are not going to recommend a .223 to harvest anything larger than a coyote.

That being said, sounds like you are going to use it. Get the biggest lead free bullet and get proficient with it. And good luck.

I have many different caliber's but prefer my 7mm mag
I built a 7.62x39 AR for pigs, that gun is limited to 100yd shots on smaller animals(big ones taste yucky anyway)

"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol" -------Deputy Samuel Gerard
Old 03-20-2017, 10:25 PM

After taking several deer and bear with '06 & 30-30, I've been considering using my 223's for deer hunting too, especially with the lead free options currently available. I have a feeling as we gain more experience with lead free bullets, eventually we'll find lighter & faster is the best option.

For me, it's between the TTSX or DRT bullets long as both options are accurate in my guns. TTSX is likely better for penetration, helping with less than optimal shots and minimizing meat damage. Concern would be zipping through the lungs, missing the heart, and if the bullet failed to expand. The DRT bullets might put an animal down faster, but I would only feel comfortable with a very well placed lung shot. And if there's significant meat damage due to how the bullet comes apart, that would be disappointing for me.

Just a matter of picking the balance of pros/cons you're willing to accept and giving it a whirl.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:39 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenSoul View Post
All the .223 lead free options are varmint bullets

Yes a 6.5G upper will just go right on your .223 lower.
Not true at all The Barns 70 Grain TSX is specifically for med to large game. Works excellently for pig and deer. Check out this thread on M4 Carbine. The guy has been reducing pig numbers in florida for like six years with them. http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....SX-Performance

Old 03-20-2017, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes. You'll need appropriate mags.
Old 03-21-2017, 6:56 AM

Thanks! i have found some very good rounds for specific game that i will be trying out on the range soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefeeder View Post
Then go with a bullet designed for animals your hunting, take the shot you can make and enjoy the experiance.